Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,264 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? (58066 Views)

Yearly Salary & Monthly Income After Tax Deductions In UK / Nigerian Man Makes N207 Million Yearly Carrying bag of Cements in South Korea / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by jookco(m): 1:44am On Mar 08, 2021
Majority of Nigerians in America don't have 2 million naira anywhere in this world including heaven. But they make that money every month or two depending on job. The bills here is crazy and unbelievable.

I lived in New York City for 5 years and know what am talking about. Now work for myself and make good money. Money however is not everything, life in America is extremely sweet and stress free if you don't wanna kill yourself with jobs. Don't let anyone discourage you from coming to America. I was in Nigeria last year and fell in love with Abuja and Lagos but after few weeks the whole drama began to irritate me and I ran back to America.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by gwininfo(m): 1:55am On Mar 08, 2021
richdee1
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by awulio(f): 2:23am On Mar 08, 2021
Not always the case. If u earning 150k a year there’s absolutely no way the government is taking 50% for tax. I used to work at a tax company so I know these things. Someone earning 150k pays 24% federal about 6% state. In New York they pay more state tax. And 1% of their house price in property tax. Max tax they pay would be 31% a year. With deductions etc they will probably only pay half of that. So about 15 to 20%..... the reason why Nigerians in America fall into debt is because they want to live lavish lives and they buy everything on credit. They will have mortgage, car loan then they will buy tv on credit, sofa on credit etc.... I know people that save 20k a month but the wife is a doctor and the husband is a software engineer. Even though they were making so much money they were still living in a small 2 bedroom apartment. Once they saved enough money they bought a big house. If you live frugal u can save a lot of money. You are correct concerning businesses. Most businesses pay little tax because they can deduct things such as rent, utilities, workers salary, mileage etc

Depends what you do in America. If you work for somebody or company, I don't care if you are a doctor, engineer or lawyer, or mere warehouse worker, your income will be limited by tax even if you live frugally because you have no control of your taxes and you will shed almost 50% in taxes if you make more across taxes (federal, state, property and estate). Lets say you make $150k, government collect almost $75k in taxes across. You are left with $75k, after your house, car, emergency and personal expenses, you re left with $10-20k in the bank every yr. You can live a comfortable life but you will never be wealthy!

Now, if you own your own business, not mom and pop kiosk, I mean real business over $500k in revenue, you will have more control of your taxes. Once you understand how America works, which most Nigerians or black immigrants never understand anyways...just living the American dream blindly( big house and nice cars) and fatally in debt, you will know that America rewards business owners and entrepreneurs. Most Asian immigrants understand this which is why they own their own business and don't work for people!

Any Nigerian you know that is very very wealthy in America, has his/her own big business. These are not small boys and girls, they have over 5 employees (that's over $200k/90million in payroll a year assuming $45k each employee a yr), business location cost $500k-$5million. They rarely pay taxes because their business give them that advantage. Go and read why and how the rich in America pay zero to no taxes...actually government doesn't want you to if you create job, invest or an entrepreneur!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Yoighaman(m): 2:23am On Mar 08, 2021
PDJT:

-Sometimes it’s not all about money.

-Life is complicated. Many seek sanity, health, decent education and opportunities for themselves and children. For instance, the US citizenship will open tremendous opportunities for you if you’re business-minded or just love traveling- so many countries to visit without visa. Same is applicable with many other firstclass Nations.

-Madam Ngozi had to recently take up her right to US citizenship in preparation for her WTO application. She wasn’t daft when she made that decision.

-As our faces are different, so are our life expectations.

-Madam Ngozi had to recently take up her right to US citizenship in preparation for her WTO application. She wasn’t daft when she made that decision.

She refused to exercise the right all the while but had to, because of the nature of the job; China, Russia and the likes will not accord her due respect as a Nigerian and the US has interests to protect, that was why they didn't support her early on.

If not for the job, she was not interested in their citizenship. I'm not saying it's a bad thing though, different strokes for different folks.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Yoighaman(m): 2:44am On Mar 08, 2021
Cocao:
The truth is that this guy is not looking to leave Nigeria or his business. He is in a contest of some sort between who earns more. Him or someone in the US and he's trying so hard to justify that he makes more. Remember he constantly asked for someone to tell him their exact savings.

He has no issue cutting off his family so he can save more, or being with a partner. It is obvious this kind of person will literally do anything for money and is threatened when his money is threatened.

He does not want to hear that anyone he knows is doing better. This fear kicked in when he saw first a lady that spent 12m, then he constantly refers to himself as poor. He is trying to compensate for what attributes he does not have using money.

Brother, money is a lot, but it is not everything. You are not in a competition with anyone. Saving 22 million a year cannot make up for some things that family and friends will bring to you. Stay on your lane and do what is best for you. But most importantly, enjoy your life with the people you love that loves you.

I love you for this comment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by AududuNine11: 3:14am On Mar 08, 2021
Cocao:

Thank you for your kind words
uwc cool
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by lesson44: 3:46am On Mar 08, 2021
Depends what you do in America. If you work for somebody or company, I don't care if you are a doctor, engineer or lawyer, or mere warehouse worker, your income will be limited by tax even if you live frugally because you have no control of your taxes and you will shed almost 50% in taxes if you make more across taxes (federal, state, property and estate). Lets say you make $150k, government collect almost $75k in taxes across. You are left with $75k, after your house, car, emergency and personal expenses, you re left with $10-20k in the bank every yr. You can live a comfortable life but you will never be wealthy!

Now, if you own your own business, not mom and pop kiosk, I mean real business over $500k in revenue, you will have more control of your taxes. Once you understand how America works, which most Nigerians or black immigrants never understand anyways...just living the American dream blindly( big house and nice cars) and fatally in debt, you will know that America rewards business owners and entrepreneurs. Most Asian immigrants understand this which is why they own their own business and don't work for people!

Any Nigerian you know that is very very wealthy in America, has his/her own big business. These are not small boys and girls, they have over 5 employees (that's over $200k/90million in payroll a year assuming $45k each employee a yr), business location cost $500k-$5million. They rarely pay taxes because their business give them that advantage. Go and read why and how the rich in America pay zero to no taxes...actually government doesn't want you to if you create job, invest or an entrepreneur!
50% on taxes?. I don’t know where you get that figure.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by lesson44: 3:52am On Mar 08, 2021
MrGoood:

So they save between 10 to 20k annually? Why will I step feet in that place if they make below what I make here
It is not how much you save, it the decent life and all the securities that count.
Some of the money one pay on taxes also goes towards their retirement.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Yoighaman(m): 3:57am On Mar 08, 2021
Kettlecorn:
It is foolhardy to jump into these kinds of discussions on Nairaland, but what the heck, It's Sunday and I have nothing better to do right now. First, the comparisons on this thread do not make sense. The OP claims to save 22 million Naira a year in Nigeria which would probably put him in the top 0.5% of Nigerian earners in the country. Most of the comparisons here are against low wage/minimum wage earners in the US which makes absolutely no sense at all.
Second, In these types of discussions, I like to ask big picture questions. He said he saves 22 million a year and doesn't do this that and the other. FOR WHAT? Why do you need to save that much? This is where the big picture comes in. He has to save for healthcare, retirement, school fees, inflation, calamities, seed money for his business etc. The minimum wage earner you are comparing against in the US is covered for those things provided they are legal and paying taxes. They will be covered if they fall sick and earn social security or a pension in countries like Canada when they retire. Public schools, which are mostly good are paid for by their taxes. One other thing to point out in the big picture. In 2015, the Naira was 200 to the dollar. In 2021, it is exchanging for 480 to the dollar. In six years or less, your savings have devalued by more than 50%. You cannot just compare Naira savings to dollar savings in these types of discussions. A Nigerian in Nigeria is just EXISTING! People in the diaspora are actually LIVING. The difference between existing and living is this. When you exist, you do the things you need to do in order to stay alive; when you live, you do the things you want to do in order to enjoy your life. Existing is all about survival which is what people are currently doing in Nigeria. When will you get a chance to actually live in Nigeria?

Hmmm...this is very deep, intelligence at its finest.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by chinchum(m): 3:57am On Mar 08, 2021
Keep deceiving yourself with your imaginary 22 million naira savings per year..... less than 0.1% even have a net worth of that in Nigeria talk less of saving 22 million naira, which implies 99.9% is no where close to save that. in a country where over 70% live on less than 1,000 naira(2$) per day.(365,000 naira). Nigeria's education need to focus on critical thinking, by the way, there are too many educated but shallow individuals.

Do not deceive yourself even if you plan to deceive others. Not everybody can leave the country in a country of 200 million. If 1 million Nigerians leave the country for good, Nigeria can barely notice, if it does it is the foreign remittance they will contribute to the country and strides they will make and be reported thereof in their country of abode.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by rinzaugustine: 4:28am On Mar 08, 2021
I think you opened this thread to take a jab at Nigerians living in US to claim you are living a better Life with more income than diasporans.Thats a waste of time on your part

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Yoighaman(m): 4:30am On Mar 08, 2021
komodapson:

They'll tear him into shreds

LOL smiley
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Yoighaman(m): 4:31am On Mar 08, 2021
IgbohoSunday:
Bros better stay here and do ur business cos if u kidnap in the US u will be caught.

smileySo, you concluded dude is a kidnapper grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by BlindedIrony(m): 4:55am On Mar 08, 2021
I can't say for other people, but as a medical professional- I make about $230,000. My federal income tax is 22% which is $50, 600. I bring home $179,400. I pay about $1,300 monthly on rent. I pay $208 monthly on car notes. My utility bills is about $75. Car gas is about $120 monthly (And yes- I drive every day. Even if the malls are 1 mile away from my residence). Car insurance is about $144 monthly. Food expenses is $600 monthly. In fact, let's say I still have about +$140,000 breathing in my bank account.
Half of which goes into my retirement fund, indexes and other financial equities. Every quarter (4 months), I get about $7500 net in dividends, but those are from my indexes and stocks. The retirement fund and 401K programs cannot be touched, until a certain age or else I will be taxed on it. As for people saying Nigerians in American suffer more than Nigeria, IT IS A BLOODY LIE.
In the United States, you cannot work more than 40 hours per week. It is federal law- all states must obey. If you work more than 40 hours, your company must pay you your hourly age + 75% of your hourly wage- ALL PER HOUR. This is the only country illiterates can live more comfortable than the most educated Nigerian, by just doing blue collar jobs. Welders for example here make about $60K to $120,000 depending on industry. If a Nigerian here is making pennies, then he or she came with visitor's visa. Probably has been hiding from the law, hence the shitty jobs.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by BlindedIrony(m): 5:07am On Mar 08, 2021
jookco:
Majority of Nigerians in America don't have 2 million naira anywhere in this world including heaven. But they make that money every month or two depending on job. The bills here is crazy and unbelievable.

I lived in New York City for 5 years and know what am talking about. Now work for myself and make good money. Money however is not everything, life in America is extremely sweet and stress free if you don't wanna kill yourself with jobs. Don't let anyone discourage you from coming to America. I was in Nigeria last year and fell in love with Abuja and Lagos but after few weeks the whole drama began to irritate me and I ran back to America.

That is a lie. You may be a loser. You are probably living above your means. New York is an expensive place for an illiterate to live. Some Nigerians think they can live on high-end cities without being educated enough to get high-paying jobs. You cannot be a janitor in New York and expect to be rich. It is a city designed for professionals. Besides, why stay in a state which taxes income?
Places like Texas does not tax income, only federal income. Also: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming have no state income tax. So when you make $60,000, your federal tax rate is about 22%. You bring home $46,800. $15, 000 can cover your living expenses in states with no state income tax, if you are living within your means. That should leave you with $36,000 annually in savings.

I can tell you this, because I know some Igbo elderly men here who are not educated but they save +$36,000 or so doing blue collar jobs. Jobs like maintenance or such! Besides federal income tax rate which is reasonable ( 10% or less for people who make $40,000 a year) and income tax is charged based on income level, states with tax income should be avoided since they have exactly the same things as states without state income tax. BUT , YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by AugustusA1(m): 5:56am On Mar 08, 2021
If truly you make such sum in Nigeria , pls stay right there bro. I’m in NY, I work in govt Hosp, start pay 90k. That may sound a lot but like others mention despite with that sum you may need a second job to be able to save up otherwise bro you wil just be surviving. Taxes is about 30-33% of 90k, then home mortgage is about 3k monthly. Car insurance and feeding join bro u will barely save 25k at the end of the year with a single job. Pls trust me you better off making such sum in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by knowyaself2(m): 5:57am On Mar 08, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Life is absurd.
You keep making money just to keep making money till you die.
If you have children,they will do the same.
If you don't die,there will be too many humans.
Life is absurd.
If you are poor like me,you will have to keep living from hand to mouth till you die unless you experience a breakthrough that will make you to want to have children that will not suffer like you till you die.

The stars favor all at different times in their lives, people remain poor endlessly only when they fail to seize the opportunities offered again and again . In other words, they lack the knowledge of how the world works. And, of course, financial literacy is helpful to be able to build on the opportunities acted upon.
Everyone has lucky and unlucky days, figure it out through astrology by studying your natal chat and know when to act and when to do nothing. Acquire skills and be prepared, for opportunities must come your way.
Last year for instance, even though there was a pandemic and economic crisis, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise for some, because they seized business opportunities that the pandemic created and made millions.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Dyonne: 6:20am On Mar 08, 2021
pocohantas:

You have said it all.

The OP, just like many other homebased guys are steady in a dick-measuring-contest with diasporans. I would never understand why.

Stay your lane, let them stay theirs. They no kuku send you sef. lipsrsealed

I'm surprised no one figured him out before you.

Take a look at his topics and the wildly differing claims he makes. It's good for a laugh.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Dyonne: 6:24am On Mar 08, 2021
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by machine0808: 6:27am On Mar 08, 2021
One thing you need to understand is that there are lots of financial institutions that will give you huge loans that you will pay back in 2 to 5 years time, most Africans abroad collect this loans and accomplish things back home and then start paying with time even without any collateral unlike the conditions that u have to go through in Nigeria to secure such loans. Make fake life no put you under unde pressure. I have been in the United Kingdom and I know how the system works.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Dyonne: 6:33am On Mar 08, 2021
AugustusA1:
If truly you make such sum in Nigeria , pls stay right there bro. I’m in NY, I work in govt Hosp, start pay 90k. That may sound a lot but like others mention despite with that sum you may need a second job to be able to save up otherwise bro you wil just be surviving. Taxes is about 30-33% of 90k, then home mortgage is about 3k monthly. Car insurance and feeding join bro u will barely save 25k at the end of the year with a single job. Pls trust me you better off making such sum in Nigeria.

Come back home then.

You are the one who chooses to saddle yourself with load in the name of luxury. You're complaining about paying a mortgage on a house you're allowed to live in before you own completely? That's basically hire purchase on the house.
Nigerians are living under rent and building. Come back home.

So after all these burdens you have saddled yourself with you still have 25k remaining? Na wa oh.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by naijapage(f): 7:20am On Mar 08, 2021
golddust6000:
An average Nigerian in US don’t save 5m yearly.
All these people on the comment section don’t know how US or Europe works, you may die while working, you will age faster than your younger brother in Nigeria, you will likely fall sick by Customer Service tomuch work overload.
At the end of every year you will realise that you did not save up to 4m.
Here you can’t escape tax, you ca never escape it. You will work for the government till you die, be wise.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by naijapage(f): 7:23am On Mar 08, 2021
Depends what you do in America. If you work for somebody or company, I don't care if you are a doctor, engineer or lawyer, or mere warehouse worker, your income will be limited by tax even if you live frugally because you have no control of your taxes and you will shed almost 50% in taxes if you make more across taxes (federal, state, property and estate). Lets say you make $150k, government collect almost $75k in taxes across. You are left with $75k, after your house, car, emergency and Customer Service personal expenses, you re left with $10-20k in the bank every yr. You can live a comfortable life but you will never be wealthy!

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Abiodunstephen(m): 7:36am On Mar 08, 2021
my brother do not be deceive 60% of people living here are on credit, forget about our show when we come home, is normal.
you can't be in abroad and want to go and visit your village and you allow people to be looking at you poor

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Fash20: 7:44am On Mar 08, 2021
Abiboss:

Bro how much is it to start that your business, I have 600k but I'm still saving though cry

You're quoting the wrong person
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 08, 2021
knowyaself2:

The stars favor all at different times in their lives, people remain poor endlessly only when they fail to seize the opportunities offered again and again . In other words, they lack the knowledge of how the world works. And, of course, financial literacy is helpful to be able to build on the opportunities acted upon.
Everyone has lucky and unlucky days, figure it out through astrology by studying your natal chat and know when to act and when to do nothing. Acquire skills and be prepared, for opportunities must come your way.
Last year for instance, even though there was a pandemic and economic crisis, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise for some, because they seized business opportunities that the pandemic created and made millions.
You get exposed to opportunities by chance.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by b5ive(m): 8:12am On Mar 08, 2021
Very informative, nice one�

Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Lordpeckxy(m): 8:24am On Mar 08, 2021
My nigga resides in Phil, went there 3years ago.. Sends 1.5M to his family every month, just saying.
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Cybercop2002: 8:48am On Mar 08, 2021
MrGoood:

Big man? You must be joking , Am short and skinny, not that short thou, that money can’t even buy me a rolls Royce here and you call me big, Maybe because of my circle I do feel like am poor , I know someone who spend millions on burial , She’s a lady for that matter , I won’t try that currently so how am I big and about the earnings I built that business for 2 years so it’s not easy to get into it
@mood pls sponsor me abroad i will pay later am a 19 year old guy who is learning to code and striving for a better future for myself and family but difficult,if you can invest on mt i vow sir i will pay you back in a numerous way an a business oriented teen sir pls pls pls save a life i had a plan in life i have done all sort of odd job that that won't stop me i can do menial job for a while but i will use the chance to work on my it project and u know America have worst healthcare which most of there people can't afford but i am there to solve it
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by Cybercop2002: 8:58am On Mar 08, 2021
someone pls help a teen to secure his future don't let my life ruin am not a lazy being ,i have done many odd job in but life but still working on my skill i start a kiosk boutique business last year December street fight(agbero) make me lose all my asset know i have nothing pls save a life i still have a great future ahead of me don't let it ruin pls my life in slum have been messy i wanna change the perspective am inspire them with my success pls someone should sponsor me abroad and i will pay later we will have a deal how and when to pay my family is my guarantor and my parent are in support pls i won't let you down you have nothing to lose am as business oriented teen not a workaholic ,i think inside the box but not outside pls am geniune
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by sanesta: 8:59am On Mar 08, 2021
Otunski:
Someone spent 15m on her mum's burial you just calculated she must have made X20 of that to have spent that Amount. What a wrong assumption! Secondly you cut of family members so u can gather 15m , you are so spinless, to say the least. Just pray nothing happens to you that would require the attention of your family members. Arrant nonsense
I'm just happy for his next of kin.. cheesy
Re: Nigerians In USA, Do You Save More Than N15 Million Yearly? by RealAlubarika(m): 9:35am On Mar 08, 2021
SmartPolician:

Please this is FALSE.

Say what you know, please.

Rent varies just like it does in Nigeria

You go for what you can afford.

That's why I said that making and saving money is an individual thing.

You're talking about go for what you can afford, but don't also forget that where you lives matter alot in terms of mobility if you use public transport and the nature of your job. There are jobs you close at odd hours like 1:00AM, how do you get home if you don't own a car?? I'm speaking from experience cause i live in Milan Italy. That's why most immigrant prefer city centres as opposed to outskirt of town.
It ease mobility though you will have to pay more.
If i may ask do you live in Europe or America
But Note: rent are more expensive in city centres than outskirt.

We rise by lifting others

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Osogbo, Osun Drone shots (Photos) / Private Jet With VIPs Onboard Crash-Lands In Ibadan / Breathtaking Places You Never Knew Existed(photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.