Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? (465 Views)

Who And Where Is ESAU/EDOM Today? / Jewish Encyclopedia Says Modern Jews Are Not ISRAELITES But ESAU/EDOM / Why You Have No Reason To Doubt A Snake Swallowed 36 Million Naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? by divinemichael(m): 11:38am On Mar 07, 2021
Esau have I hated, Jacob have I loved.
Romans 9-13.

Whenever I stumbled on this verse years ago, I was like hey, could it be possible that God hates me too for no reason, is God not partial? What did Esau do?
These mind boggling questions creep into our minds when we read Romans 9 and try to meditate on it, although verse 14 goes on to say God is not partial, however to the rational mind, that's simply a blatant yet to be justified inconsistency.
The reading of Romans 9 has one wrong conventional form of interpretation, and that's the deterministic view, it holds that since God is totally omnipotent, he may choose without warrant whomever he chooses to love and hate whomever he chooses to hate!
I must opine, this seems really weird and incompatible with the impartial and loving nature of God as evidenced in Christ Jesus.
Why the deterministic reading of Romans 9 helps a bit, it however does more devastation than good.
I must therefore posit that in order to read and understand the true implication and import of Romans 9-13 one must consider three variables, firstly the meaning and effect of the person of Jesus Christ in relation to the verse, secondly the possible historical-grammatical effect of the said verse, and thirdly the last meeting of Esau and Jacob.

In line with the first variable, Dr Greg Boyd, says because the revelation of God in Christ is the most genuine and superior revelation of God in the history of humanity, therefore we ought not to qualify or bend it to suit any notion it appears averse to.

I totally agree with the learned professor, because in the person of Jesus Christ we find a God who is love, a God who dines with sinners, a God who does not condemn but rather redeems, a God who loves and prays for his enemies rather than hate and smite them.
The book of John 1 provides a patent proof for Jesus's divinity for he is the word of God and the same as God who came down in flesh to redeem humanity, hence the meaning of the name "Emmanuel" meaning God is with us!
It becomes therefore crystal clear that in light of Jesus Christ, the claim that God hated Esau becomes barren, unpersuasive and too impossible not to reject.

Secondly should be the history and grammatical effect of the then environment in which the said verse was written.
Originally it is found in Malachi 1, an era and span of history in which the meaning of words today definitely does differ.
The word ``hate `` and'' love" in the traditional Hebrew language then, did not imply an intense or flagrant emotion, rather it entailed a preference in which a sharp contrast could be drawn. Eg I prefer cheese to ice cream does not necessarily mean I abhor ice-cream.
Jesus Christ himself in the books of luke made such use of preferential words, when he said " whoever that does not hate his family, brother and sisters, can not be my disciple" in the real sense he only meant preference, and not necessarily that you should abhor or despise your family because you seek the kingdom of God.

In relation to the last variable, I can validly assert that only a person with a short or blinkered knowledge of the story of Esau and Jacob can falsely conclude that God hated Esau for no just cause. Genesis 33 whether we like it or not smacks of one the most historic reconciliation recorded in the Bible, you could imagine after all the turmoil, hate and bitterness, Esau and Jacob still made amends, exchanged gifts, blessed and forgave each other. So in relation to the endpoint of this account, what can we then surmise of Romans 9-13? Perhaps the verse is barren and or has been subject to malicious misinterpretation.

1 Like

Re: Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? by RedSquid: 11:50am On Mar 07, 2021
Na wa for misinterpretations o. God simply said compared with the love I have for Jacob, my love was as though hatred. Not that God hated Esau entirely. Even if He does, few things arouse such high response from the Lord. Esau was treacherous from the very beginning to the way he did His brother. What's there to love in such a person?
Re: Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? by Kingdomtruth: 12:55pm On Mar 07, 2021
The verse is very clear my brother. God did prefer Jacob to Esau, not because He hated Esau just as you've posited; but, because He CALLED Jacob in his(Esau's) stead. Not because Jacob pleased Him or was outstanding character wise,but, it was just simply a matter of CALL. Down that scripture, it clearly states that: God's choice is based on His CALL on our lives, not based on anything we have done,good or bad. Remember that: even before they were born, God told their Mother Rebecca that:she was going to have TWINS and that the elder would serve the younger one. That was even before they were born. This clearly shows that, He(God) had called Jacob since when He was in his mother's womb even before he was born. Just like He said to Jeremiah that: "I knew you even before you were born".

But the Joy, however is that: God had made up for this seeming impartiality
, through the coming of Christ Jesus into the world. So that: ALL, who now BELIEVE, would be SAVED irrespective of who they are. Meaning in this time of Grace and Mercy, everyone is CALLED. Also, He had made it up, for those who were caught up in the web of death before the coming of Christ Jesus(GRACE). I.e those who died before Christ Jesus came. He did this after the death of Christ Jesus, but, before His resurrection. The scripture says," Christ Jesus after His death, went to the world of the death and proclaim the gospel to them", so that: whoever believes in him, would be saved also even though he may have died. So that's it brodaman. Remain bless bro. and happy Sunday. Shalom!
Re: Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 07, 2021
RedSquid:
Na wa for misinterpretations o. God simply said compared with the love I have for Jacob, my love was as though hatred. Not that God hated Esau entirely. Even if He does, few things arouse such high response from the Lord. Esau was treacherous from the very beginning to the way he did His brother. What's there to love in such a person?
When I no sai my popman like me more than my brother in the first place, why would I want to impress such person. Na to live my life.
Re: Did God Really Hate Esau For No Reason? by Kayberg: 6:59pm On Mar 07, 2021
Read the Book of Jasher. You'll definitely see why.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? / Breaking News! FG Just Arrested Fr.mbaka At His Wednesday Adoration Ground / "If We Live In The Spirit, Let Us Also Walk In The Spirit."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.