Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound (1202 Views)

What Happend In My Compound / What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering / '‘students Now Drug Invigilators With Dangerous Chemical To Use Expo' - WAEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 07, 2021
I decided to go back to my organic chemistry and the thing wan scatter my brain. What's the name of this compound?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by PrinceAlaba(m): 10:41pm On Mar 07, 2021
2-ethyl,3-methyl but-2-ene

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by BIGPREEQ: 11:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
2-Ethyl-3-Methyl-2-butene or 2-Ethyl-3-Methylbut-2-ene
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by namiji2598: 11:06pm On Mar 07, 2021
nijaomegacode:
I decided to go back to my organic chemistry and the thing wan scatter my brain. What's the name of this compound?
2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene

13 Likes

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by namiji2598: 11:10pm On Mar 07, 2021
BIGPREEQ:
2-Ethyl-3-Methyl-2-butene or 2-Ethyl-3-Methylbut-2-ene
there is nothing like ethyl In that compound, the longest chain self is pent-2-ene not but-2-ene, I don't know how u and the guy above u are numbering carbon atoms but I am a chemistry teacher, and if my students give me 2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene or 2,3 methyl pent-2-ene, I will mark it.....that's the only two names that can represent this compound

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by namiji2598: 11:14pm On Mar 07, 2021
nijaomegacode:
check ur options and mark it there is only two names that can represent the compound...
2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene or 2,3 methyl pent-2-ene
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by emorse(m): 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2021
namiji2598:
2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene
clap clap

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by namiji2598: 11:50pm On Mar 07, 2021
emorse:

clap clap
I studied chemistry, am also a chemistry teacher, it would have been my pleasure to see you through this course, but time and distance is a barrier here....
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by sammyscholar(m): 12:45am On Mar 08, 2021
Dear Nigerian students and admission seekers,

We invite you to participate in the ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE AND FUTURE OF WORK webinar holding on Saturday 8th, 15th and 22nd of May, 2021.

The webinar's discussions and insights include:

- Strategies and techniques for achieving academic excellence

- Requisite skills and competencies needed to thrive in the real world

- The art of information gathering and networking for opportunities and future relevance

The webinar's facilitators, in themselves, are academic high-flyers with a lot of world-of-work experiences and they are gearing up to help you discover yourself and develop strategies that would make your academic and world of work journey seamless!

To participate in the webinar, send your name and WhatsApp contact to scholarsspirit@gmail.com

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by femi4: 6:13am On Mar 08, 2021
PrinceAlaba:
Incorrect

The longest chain is 5. It has double bar (bonding) at 2. That's Pent-2-ene ( Alkenes family)

Ch3 (methyl) attached to carbon 2 &3

Hence, the name = 2,3 dimethyl pent-2ene

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by AroOkigbo(m): 6:20am On Mar 08, 2021
namiji2598:
2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene
You must be good in organic chemistry. I go with you, bro
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by BENEFICIAL12(m): 7:18am On Mar 08, 2021
HONESTLY I'M LOST HERE... ITS TO ME AS IF YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING MAGIC....
E NO EASY O.
KUDOS
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 08, 2021
Thanks guys. O really appreciate.
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Malawian(m): 8:27am On Mar 08, 2021
By SS2, I had already made up my mind I was studying Civil Engineering, so when Master Achinze the Chemistry Master was doing all those his Aromatic and Aliphatic compounds shenenegans, I was doing better things with my precious time.

Just imagine that those who even know what this is are arguing among themselves what the real name is. Who has that kind of time Biko?

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Saviourk: 8:42am On Mar 08, 2021
2,3-dimethyl pent-2-ene or 2,3-dimethyl 2-pentene...
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Yewandequeen(f): 9:07am On Mar 08, 2021
namiji2598:
2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene
this is correct.

Longest chain is 5, with the double bond makes it from the alkene family and its on on carbon -2

2,3-dimethyl pent-2-ene

1 Like

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Yewandequeen(f): 9:10am On Mar 08, 2021
namiji2598:
there is nothing like ethyl In that compound, the longest chain self is pent-2-ene not but-2-ene, I don't know how u and the guy above u are numbering carbon atoms but I am a chemistry teacher, and if my students give me 2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene or 2,3 methyl pent-2-ene, I will mark it.....that's the only two names that can represent this compound

The bolded is wrong because 2,3 depicts there are 2 methyl group attached. Thus should be 2,3-dimethyl-2-pentene. That should be the second possible name
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Yewandequeen(f): 9:12am On Mar 08, 2021
femi4:
Incorrect

The longest chain is 5. It has double bar (bonding) at 2. That's Pent-2-ene ( Alkenes family)

correct and detailed
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by The5DME(m): 10:07am On Mar 08, 2021
let me teach you a trick. once you finf out the longest carbon chain, any carbon that is nit part of that chain is treated as a substituent.
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by namiji2598: 11:38am On Mar 08, 2021
Yewandequeen:

The bolded is wrong because 2,3 depicts there are 2 methyl group attached. Thus should be 2,3-dimethyl-2-pentene. That should be the second possible name
yes ofcus there are two methyl group in that compound, and the methyl compound is on 2,3
There is nothing wrong in that compound name, either 2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene or 2,3 methyl pent-2-ene
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Telegram234(m): 1:28pm On Mar 08, 2021
Single, double and triple bond.
I love this topic..
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Karleb(m): 1:59pm On Mar 08, 2021
Yewandequeen:
this is correct.

Longest chain is 5, with the double bond makes it from the alkene family and its on on carbon -2

2,3-dimethyl pent-2-ene

Your head is very correct.
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Twelfthman: 3:15pm On Mar 08, 2021
abeg I left this shit in my 2 year. As I pass organic chemistry I tell am bye bye grin
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by Yewandequeen(f): 4:15pm On Mar 08, 2021
namiji2598:
yes ofcus there are two methyl group in that compound, and the methyl compound is on 2,3
There is nothing wrong in that compound name, either 2,3 dimethyl pent-2-ene or [b]2,3 methyl [/b]pent-2-ene

Quote me anywhere, the bolded is totally wrong.

When you quote more than one attached group of the same family it is a must you add the prefix be it di-, tri- etc

You can't say 2,3- methyl... Its is wrong 2,3-dimethyl.... Is correct

2,3,4- trimethyl correct... 2,3,4 methyl is wrong

There are 2 carbons carrying methyl group thus the prefix should be Di- you cannt omit that and say the nameis correct no.
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by GreaterFuture(m): 4:54pm On Mar 08, 2021
femi4:
Incorrect

pardon me bro, but How many degrees do you have bro?
Seem your comment on Some technical topics over the Years here on NL, or are you a Science teacher?
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by richboy01(m): 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2021
nawa oo I can't believe my eyes.someone is saying the longest chain is 5 and claiming to av read chemistry.The correct answer is the first person that commented.The longest chain is 4 that is but-2-ene.
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by richboy01(m): 5:00pm On Mar 08, 2021
PrinceAlaba:
correct!
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by femi4: 5:44pm On Mar 08, 2021
GreaterFuture:

pardon me bro, but How many degrees do you have bro?
Seem your comment on Some technical topics over the Years here on NL, or are you a Science teacher?
Science & engineering

1 Like

Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by femi4: 5:46pm On Mar 08, 2021
Yewandequeen:

Quote me anywhere, the bolded is totally wrong.

When you quote more than one attached group of the same family it is a must you add the prefix be it di-, tri- etc

You can't say 2,3- methyl... Its is wrong 2,3-dimethyl.... Is correct

2,3,4- trimethyl correct... 2,3,4 methyl is wrong

There are 2 carbons carrying methyl group thus the prefix should be Di- you cannt omit that and say the nameis correct no.

Excellent
Re: Pls Help Me Name This Chemical Compound by seanwilliam(m): 5:47pm On Mar 08, 2021
BENEFICIAL12:
HONESTLY I'M LOST HERE... ITS TO ME AS IF YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING MAGIC....
E NO EASY O.
KUDOS
na so I Dey see aspirin , promethazin, chloramphenicol.. lol science student una wahala too much lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Something Is Coming To Nigeria / UNILAG Dismisses Lecturers Caught On Camera Demanding Sex For Grade In Special B / First Class Degree In Economics Bagged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.