Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA (5248 Views)

16 Year Old Boniface Offokaja Wipes The Floor With Other Africans - 1957 London / Boniface Igbeneghu: Bukola Saraki Reacts To UNILAG Lecturer's Sex Scandal / Alex Badeh (1957-2018): The Man Who Flew Two Former US Presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by theTranslator: 6:56pm On Mar 12, 2021
TruthHurts1:

This is from the article you referred me to which isn't published in any reputable historical journal, neither does it appear to be peer reviewed:

Arising from Islamic clerical and educational campaigns of the 15th–16th centuries, Ajami constituted an early source of literacy for a variety of local languages in Sub-Saharan Africa, including Yoruba, Mande, Wolof, Fula and Afrikaans.

The so called article is littered with blunders, most notable of which is the inclusion of Afrikaans as a language influenced by the Ajami script. Afrikaans is the language of the white minority of South Africa which was used as a tool of colonial oppression against the black majority during the days of apartheid. It is 100% based on European languages. What the writer is calling Ajami is just a bastardised version of Arabic which was used by the Indian and Pakistani muslims who settled in the Cape Coast of South Africa.

Apart from that, there is no evidence for the use of Ajami script in Yorubaland in the form of ancient manuscripts or literature. All that exists are unverified claims typically made by Yoruba muslims who have an agenda to attach an Arab umbilical cord to Yoruba history and culture.

They may easily make fools of simpletons, but thank goodness not all of us are dimwits.

Damn!!
Stop being smart by half!
What do you know sef??! sad
Its painful the level of Ignorance you potray
I have south African Friends
Afrikaans is a Creole(a mixture) of European langages: Dutch,Portuguese and Indegenous languages:san khoekho,Zulu
Its like Nigerian Pidgin just that its more articulated and developed!
Its spoken by virtually everyone in SA ans parts of Botswana,lesotho etc
I provided a link to Yoruba books written in Ajami in my previous post
Go and read
You know nothing!
When did Pakistan and Indian people start using Arabic??! angry
What happened to sanskrit and othe scripts??
You Know Nothing!
The earlier you know that the better for you
As I said
Google is your Friend for goddsakes!!
Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2021
On a similar debate, Our northern brother (Mr Mohammed) representing Nigeria went there to push Islamic agenda in Nigeria and Africa at large. He displayed his hate for the Nigeria's southern population publicly

Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by TruthHurts1(m): 8:22pm On Mar 12, 2021
The so called books which you call Yoruba Ajami text are letters and correspondences between islamic clerics!

This dummy is actually "refuting" my points by proving them to be true!

So Afrikaans is spoken by virtually everyone in SA and yet there was a bloody uprising by students who refused to be taught and instructed in Afrikaans?

I think it's very clear who needs history lessons and also needs more brain cells.

theTranslator:

Damn!!
Stop being smart by half!
What do you know sef??! sad
Its painful the level of Ignorance you potray
I have south African Friends
Afrikaans is a Creole(a mixture) of European langages: Dutch,Portuguese and Indegenous languages:san khoekho,Zulu
Its like Nigerian Pidgin just that its more articulated and developed!
Its spoken by virtually everyone in SA ans parts of Botswana,lesotho etc
I provided a link to Yoruba books written in Ajami in my previous post
Go and read
You know nothing!
When did Pakistan and Indian people start using Arabic??! angry
What happened to sanskrit and othe scripts??
You Know Nothing!
The earlier you know that the better for you
As I said
Google is your Friend for goddsakes!!
Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by theTranslator: 8:46pm On Mar 12, 2021
TruthHurts1:
The so called books which you call Yoruba Ajami text are letters and correspondences between islamic clerics!

This dummy is actually "refuting" my points by proving them to be true!

So Afrikaans is spoken by virtually everyone in SA and yet there was a bloody uprising by students who refused to be taught and instructed in Afrikaans?

I think it's very clear who needs history lessons and also needs more brain cells.

Lol
You again?? cheesy
I told you
Or do you have dementia?
Afrikaans is like pidgin for gods sakes
A very developed pidgin
Is pidgin not spoken by almost everybody in Nigeria? angry
Why not campaign for it to be taught??
Your type of Ignorance is very painful
The Ajami text is it a language or a text 'cause I don't understand this level of delusions
Was it not the Yoruba language that was written in Ajami?
Its like saying Yoruba written in Latin script isn't Yoruba!
Its a script not a language for goddsakes!

I'm not gonna reply you anymore
You're corrupting my intelligence!
Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by Antivirus92(m): 9:04pm On Mar 12, 2021
Oshigun:

Lol. Very obvious you are a loser and failure in life hence your 24/7 desperation with coming to NL to identify with clan success. You're very obvious to bright Nairalanders even if you don't know that. Loser.
if only you use to rise in this manner to shun everybody,your yoruba brothers especially, when they make mockery of igbos in threads where an igbo man is caught with drugs,reminding them that we are all nigerians and that the drug peddler should not be seen from the ethnic angle like u are barking up and down here like a rabid dog. If not, you're a hypocrite of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by favor914: 9:10pm On Mar 12, 2021
thatigboman:
This is so interesting. Imagine the quality of education in the colonial times. This country shaa, even God will find it difficult to forgive our leaders, even if they beg for one thousand years.
Well said, the black man in Africa is a curse to humanity.

1 Like

Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by safarigirl(f): 3:46pm On Mar 13, 2021
LOL

Nairaland will ruin everything with their dirty tribalism and idiotic ramblings.

See this solid video of a well-spoken, confident, intelligent and handsome Nigerian man, thriving and rising to the top in the midst of his peers and idiots with no names and no legacies are here measuring their short dicks.

Shameful behavior.

2 Likes

Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by Okudiover(m): 4:51am On Apr 25, 2021
safarigirl:
LOL

Nairaland will ruin everything with their dirty tribalism and idiotic ramblings.

See this solid video of a well-spoken, confident, intelligent and handsome Nigerian man, thriving and rising to the top in the midst of his peers and idiots with no names and no legacies are here measuring their short dicks.

Shameful behavior.

My brother this tribalism for nairaland thing tire me. However, I am surprised that I never heard or read of this man's 1957 exploits at that memorable high school debate until I stumbled on the video on YouTube less than two hours ago. I am in my 40s but that 17 year old boy made a deep impression on me. His intellectual leverage over his co-debaters, his calm disposition amidst the racial tensions and despite being televised to millions of viewers live in a foreign country in the 1950s is simply amazing.
Re: 1957 High Schoolers Debate- Nigeria's Boniface Offokaja, Ethiopia, Ghana And SA by Szilard: 12:39pm On Oct 23, 2021
Okudiover:

My brother this tribalism for nairaland thing tire me. However, I am surprised that I never heard or read of this man's 1957 exploits at that memorable high school debate until I stumbled on the video on YouTube less than two hours ago. I am in my 40s but that 17 year old boy made a deep impression on me. His intellectual leverage over his co-debaters, his calm disposition amidst the racial tensions and despite being televised to millions of viewers live in a foreign country in the 1950s is simply amazing.

Like Honestly, Mr Boniface was not just witty but was also brave...

Imagine saying that kind of truth of a White Audience, and even dissing the White South Africans too

Omo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP To Hold NEC Meeting On Saturday / Okada Ban In Plateau State Metropolis, What's Your Take? / Check Out Photos Of Ex Abia Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu Living In Opulence!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.