Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,923 members, 7,828,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience (38350 Views)

Emefiele Pleads Not Guilty To Unlawful Possession Of Firearm / Kiki Osinbajo Denies Owning N800m House In Abuja, Slams Jackson Ude / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
Springboot:

And you will be resting in kirikiri right now of you're still alive tho.
are u afraid of death
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by VictorUSA(m): 6:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
What will you do with the gun? Attack bandits or herdsmen?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by ekochris(m): 6:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
Having a gun is good oh, but something like this Banelli pistol is mostly effective from preventing yourself from being attacked by unarmed or under-armed psychos. You can't really use it in a hot gunfight.

Forget what you watched in John Wick movies.

An average pistol is no longer effective at ranges of more than 50 meters. And even at that, the probability of you missing your shot and wasting all your ammo is very high because of the recoil action.

3 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by sureboykris(m): 6:40pm On Mar 16, 2021
mutantninja:
I advise everyone reading this thread to try to get a gun for your own protection... the feeling is priceless and you feel like after God you have powers to defend yourself... I was walking on an empty road with my gf to cross to a nearby ATM while our car was parked across early this January and some guys came, 4 of them ... haggard looking and stinking of weed smell.. saying: “oga find your guys something or e go bad this night for you and your fine babe”.. my girl was not scared one bit she was just looking at me smiling and waiting for my reaction... I was busy withdrawing from the ATM after I finished i turned back and noticed they surrounded our passage... I just pulled out my English pistol from my holster (image is attached below if you don’t know what’s it is) and I talked very calmly: “who wan test my bullet first?” Immediately they all took to their heels... young boys aged of 19-25 ... the oldest one of them was walk-in backwards saying, “boss calm down no be so... boss ... boss and walked the other way”.... my gf was just laughing and screaming at them “make una come na” .. i inserted my gun back to my holster and drove off.... of course I had a wonderful night with my gf later at home that night...

Dammnnnnnnnn. Realest gee.. Ma nigga
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Blankstare(m): 6:42pm On Mar 16, 2021
Op pls answer questions
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by nedekid: 6:43pm On Mar 16, 2021
Extremefiles:
Getting my license was the easiest part. Please do not be confused with my first sentence. When I say easiest part I meant it was easier than getting the firearm itself. Took me several months to actually get proper documentation. After getting my license I realized there was virtually no shop you could just walk into with your license to purchase a gun. After months of inquiries, and countless offer of old rusted relics I was able to purchase a banelli m4 through a link from one of the police stations in Abuja.

The whole process took almost 10 months. This was a few years ago. I don't know how hard/possible it is to get a licence now. Guns yes i know because still use the link for maintenance. Due to not having no option in terms of repairs and servicing. Gun ownership and maintenance is a bit on the high side.

Other licensed gun owners what's your experience
Hmm semi automatic. The maintainance required will be higher. Hope no issues with jamming.
Anyway mossberg 500 takes the bacon. Easy maintainance. With machine oil you are good to go.
Note that most folks wount comment because gun licenses were withdrawn by the previous IG (possibly to give Fulani heardsmen advantage).
Till date you cannot renew or get a new license. Infact folks were told to submit their weapons to the police. Most have not done that so codedly keeping their stuff.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by lagusboyyy(m): 6:44pm On Mar 16, 2021
mutantninja:
I advise everyone reading this thread to try to get a gun for your own protection... the feeling is priceless and you feel like after God you have powers to defend yourself... I was walking on an empty road with my gf to cross to a nearby ATM while our car was parked across early this January and some guys came, 4 of them ... haggard looking and stinking of weed smell.. saying: “oga find your guys something or e go bad this night for you and your fine babe”.. my girl was not scared one bit she was just looking at me smiling and waiting for my reaction... I was busy withdrawing from the ATM after I finished i turned back and noticed they surrounded our passage... I just pulled out my English pistol from my holster (image is attached below if you don’t know what’s it is) and I talked very calmly: “who wan test my bullet first?” Immediately they all took to their heels... young boys aged of 19-25 ... the oldest one of them was walk-in backwards saying, “boss calm down no be so... boss ... boss and walked the other way”.... my gf was just laughing and screaming at them “make una come na” .. i inserted my gun back to my holster and drove off.... of course I had a wonderful night with my gf later at home that night...
I love this.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by optionalY09: 6:45pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shyluck:
I have seen a lot of big men with pump action rifles especially at funerals and I would ask myself 'do these people have licences for these guns ?'. Individuals shouldn't be allowed to own pump action guns.

Pops is an hunters riffle nothing about it at all.

I can make pomp from everyday items.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nato008(m): 6:47pm On Mar 16, 2021
shegzhkn:
A lot of people want gun, Lol.
If their is a mass proliferation of firearms in that country, the country is done.
Apart from the fact that Nigerians will kill themselves senselessly, the only leverage the crooks leading the country have will be gone and the next Nationwide protest (due to maybe police brutality, human right abuse, unemployment, etc) will not be people carrying placard or observing any from of civil disobedience but actions from places like Benghazi, Allepo, Kandahar, Kunar, Ramadi, etc and it only a matter of time before the 'protesters' overrun their guard dogs and their freedom will be eventually threatened.
u know what's up jaree....country go bloody, na street by street shoot out
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Stockquality: 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2021
Can't wait to have my own pump action stainless steel
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by lekki1444: 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2021
my gun. dem no born anybody well. when i shoot it holy ghost and fire and brimstone will destroy you

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
OneKinGuy:
Is it possible to LEGALLY own a handgun. If it is, How can one get it please.

You need training to handle a gun before getting a license.

Most of you want a gun without training.

Guns are heavy and if you are not properly trained you might end up killing yourself.

Do you even know where the safety switch for a gun is located?

Handling a gun comes with its own risk.

Most people have died from shooting themselves mistakenly.

4 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by lagusboyyy(m): 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
Dalil8:

Why aren't ppl going for an AK 47 or M4 rifle?

Why only shotguns and handguns tho?

And how much did you get yours?
AK 47 and M4 are assault riffles, very deadly.

They are not allowed to be in the hands of civilians legally.

5 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by nedekid: 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2021
lekki1444:
my gun. dem no born anybody well. when i shoot it holy ghost and fire and brimstone will destroy you
De there de deceive yourself.
Even pastor Chris when robbers attack am years ago, pastor produce pistol give them fire 4 fire. Na im save his life.

7 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 16, 2021
shegzhkn:
A lot of people want gun, Lol.
If their is a mass proliferation of firearms in that country, the country is done.
Apart from the fact that Nigerians will kill themselves senselessly, the only leverage the crooks leading the country have will be gone and the next Nationwide protest (due to maybe police brutality, human right abuse, unemployment, etc) will not be people carrying placard or observing any from of civil disobedience but actions from places like Benghazi, Allepo, Kandahar, Kunar, Ramadi, etc and it only a matter of time before the 'protesters' overrun their guard dogs and their freedom will be eventually threatened.

You are so right.

People will kill themselves all because of biscuits, and sweets.

Most Nigerians can't control themselves when they have power talkless of holding a gun.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by sureboykris(m): 6:54pm On Mar 16, 2021
No details at all.
What year did this happen?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 16, 2021
I have my pump action rifle resting in peace in my wardrobe. If you want to confirm how I got the licence and whether I have licence or not, climb my gate around 12midnight and the licence go show itself for your body. angry

23 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by lekki1444: 6:57pm On Mar 16, 2021
nedekid:

De there de deceive yourself.
Even pastor Chris when robbers attack am years ago, pastor produce pistol give them fire 4 fire. Na im save his life.
pastor chris is a man of the night. him protection na from gun. na satan whisper inside him ear say ya protection no come from God ooo make you go buy AK 47 real quick. you belong to me satan and your protection is by the gun

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by lagusboyyy(m): 6:59pm On Mar 16, 2021
ekochris:
Having a gun is good oh, but something like this Banelli pistol is mostly effective from preventing yourself from being attacked by unarmed or under-armed psychos. You can't really use it in a hot gunfight.

Forget what you watched in John Wick movies.

An average pistol is no longer effective at ranges of more than 50 meters. And even at that, the probability of you missing your shot and wasting all your ammo is very high because of the recoil action.
Thats the main thing.

So many thinks that, things done in movies, can be done in real life.. I laugh in Spanish!

Pistol and pump action guns are only meant for small confrontations, in deadly and volatile situations, the holder can be killed easily, even in the US, when policemen(they mostly use pistols) are confronted by criminals with high caliber weapons, they often retreat and call for backups with assault riffles.

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 16, 2021
Pump action is nonsense. You can't use pumpy to challenge bandits armed with Kalash. Besides, it is not handy and flexible enough (to compensate/counter against the advantage of automatic rifles which bandits use).

However, I would like to 'legally' obtain a very small/portable pistol. I find it handier and more flexible, manoeuvreable in combat situations. Is it possible to get a pistol legally?

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by nedekid: 7:07pm On Mar 16, 2021
M9
mutantninja:
Bullcrap story. Sweet to read though.
Unless you are law enforcement you cannot legally own a pistol in naija. Except Sai baba in his capacity as presidio gives you a permit.
If not legal, should you be caught, eke go treat your matter as armed robber.

11 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by ekestic1976(f): 7:07pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shyluck:
I have seen a lot of big men with pump action rifles especially at funerals and I would ask myself 'do these people have licences for these guns ?'. Individuals shouldn't be allowed to own pump action guns.

Are you a herdsman?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by slimmax: 7:10pm On Mar 16, 2021
heendrix:
biko OP how can I get am M16, Ar45
Bandits wey wan reason me go hear am one,one shot pere
guy slow down, wetin you wan take automatic rifles do.?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 16, 2021
OjukuwuHusband:
Uzi: my dream gun.
Good to know that someone likes Uzi like me too.

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Hassanmaye(m): 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2021
mutantninja:
wow
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by OiOi: 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2021
SmartPolician:

In my village, many "big men" announce their return from the city with gunshots.
south east right?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by nedekid: 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2021
Hedonini:
Pump action is nonsense. You can't use pumpy to challenge bandits armed with Kalash. Besides, it is not handy and flexible enough (to compensate/counter against the advantage of automatic rifles which bandits use).

However, I would like to 'legally' obtain a very small/portable pistol. I find it handier and more flexible, manoeuvreable in combat situations. Is it possible to get a pistol legally?
Truelly. No sane person will go against assault rifle with a shot gun, except you have a saiga 12.
But atleast you are better than someone empty handed. Eg in a case of home invasion.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by ArcFresky(m): 7:16pm On Mar 16, 2021
lagusboyyy:

Pistol and pump action guns are only meant for small confrontations, in deadly and volatile situations

Pistols are suitable for close quarters fast reaction combat.

Assault rifles are not, the time it will take a criminal to raise and position his weapon to fire, a pistol holder will have gotten a couple of shots in...

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Kubernetes: 7:18pm On Mar 16, 2021
A typical Banneli M4.

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Bikonze(m): 7:20pm On Mar 16, 2021
Mental health. Ey?
Extremefiles:

I mostly paid for everything. What I did in my part was to fill forms and provide some health related documents which I'm not sure was important. And I had to wait. Took time but it was worth it I guess. As per my link. I don't know what he has in stock.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 7:23pm On Mar 16, 2021
[
nedekid:

Truelly. No sane person will go against assault rifle with a shot gun, except you have a saiga 12.
But atleast you are better than someone empty handed. Eg in a case of home invasion.

Saiga 12.....I don learn new one. But even that one no reach, when we're talking about one guy against multiple AK-47 bearing bastards.

As for home invasion, I think it is still better to be unarmed at all than to have a stupid shotgun against multiple invaders bearing AK-47s. You'll most likely display bravado and still be shot dead. Better to engage them with tact/charm and pseudo-surrender than to form shakabula and then get massacred.

But with a very good, very portable, very flexible, very hideable pistol, I think I stand a better chance against home invaders than a big for nothing pump action. So I ask, can I legally acquire a pistol in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by psychologist(m): 7:25pm On Mar 16, 2021
Hgs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government? / Reno Omokri Exposes Buhari's 'Next Level' Plagiarism, Copied From Kelly Costner / Governor Ambode And Lagosians Hailing Him (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.