Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,908 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience (38349 Views)

Emefiele Pleads Not Guilty To Unlawful Possession Of Firearm / Kiki Osinbajo Denies Owning N800m House In Abuja, Slams Jackson Ude / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Offpoint1: 1:24pm On Mar 17, 2021
Extremefiles:

Police
Thanks, Please can you give an estimation of how much in total?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Extremefiles(m): 2:09pm On Mar 17, 2021
Offpoint1:

Thanks, Please can you give an estimation of how much in total?
not official and I'm not certain if licences are still being given. It cost me 70k for the licence then (mostly tips) and 480k for the firearm. Been a while though
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Psoul(m): 4:40pm On Mar 17, 2021
shegzhkn:

Lol @ bolded text.

High caliber weapon grin

Even the best of the best of your elite security operative don't have access to those babies.

You don't know what u are talking about.
There are many good devices around.
If u know ur way around you will get what u want.
If u run street, U will know what I am saying.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Offpoint1: 4:57pm On Mar 17, 2021
Extremefiles:
not official and I'm not certain if licences are still being given. It cost me 70k for the licence then (mostly tips) and 480k for the firearm. Been a while though
Thanks
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by shegzhkn: 5:48pm On Mar 17, 2021
Psoul:

You don't know what u are talking about.
There are many good devices around.
If u know ur way around you will get what u want.
If u run street, U will know what I am saying.

Maybe your optics is screwed.

I'm not talking about all those you call guns in ur country, what are we even talking about here ...

If i might ask you, list those that you are talking about and let start from there.

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Chidodoozo(m): 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2021
lekki1444:
my gun. dem no born anybody well. when i shoot it holy ghost and fire and brimstone will destroy you
omo e be like thief never jam you for road abi
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Coolgent(m): 8:45am On Mar 18, 2021
mutantninja:
I advise everyone reading this thread to try to get a gun for your own protection... the feeling is priceless and you feel like after God you have powers to defend yourself... I was walking on an empty road with my gf to cross to a nearby ATM while our car was parked across early this January and some guys came, 4 of them ... haggard looking and stinking of weed smell.. saying: “oga find your guys something or e go bad this night for you and your fine babe”.. my girl was not scared one bit she was just looking at me smiling and waiting for my reaction... I was busy withdrawing from the ATM after I finished i turned back and noticed they surrounded our passage... I just pulled out my English pistol from my holster (image is attached below if you don’t know what’s it is) and I talked very calmly: “who wan test my bullet first?” Immediately they all took to their heels... young boys aged of 19-25 ... the oldest one of them was walk-in backwards saying, “boss calm down no be so... boss ... boss and walked the other way”.... my gf was just laughing and screaming at them “make una come na” .. i inserted my gun back to my holster and drove off.... of course I had a wonderful night with my gf later at home that night...

Nice one.
Question... do they give pistol licence here in 9ja?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Coolgent(m): 8:48am On Mar 18, 2021
Oshigun:

Pump action is actually what Nigerian firearm law allows you to purchase after obtaining your firearm licence. Those big men you see likely all have licences to carry them.
You are right.
I heard only president of Governors can acquire pistol license
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Coolgent(m): 8:51am On Mar 18, 2021
emmabest2000:
One thing is to have a firearm
Another thing is to have the liver to use it when time call for it cheesy

If you don't have a liver
No need bothering yourself looking for firearms

You are right.
Armed robbers/ killers stormed a friend house around 3am number over 20.
He luckily shoot one who was close to his bedroom door, he death on the spot.
Nb... they mutilated their accompliced face before they ran away

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Coolgent(m): 8:58am On Mar 18, 2021
ozodigboo:
I once went with a friend to a Police station, out of curiosity and fun, to apply for gun ownership.
We introduced ourselves as doctors, law abiding citizens.
They gave us forms easy. Paid the necessary fees.
They now showed us the list of guns we were allowed to own.
Dane gun, double barrel, chakakpim, Awka made etc
I stormed out of the office in anger.
My friend said I should calm down. Eventually we abandoned the venture.....we were hoping for AK 47, revolver, Berretta etc

My Police friends later told me that it's the law. Anything higher than that, you must be a BIG MAN and the approval must come from the Commissioner of police

Dont hold any gun beside those one mentioned.
Otherwise they may likely implicate for something which you never expect
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by ekochris(m): 4:43pm On Mar 18, 2021
fashrola:

Baneli Pistol has a good grip, but the recoil of the gun no be here.... Barretta is more better, easy to reload and the recoil is more better hence can handle lot of armed people

Yeah, Baretta is better.

The day I knew Pistol was rubbish was when I had a target 50 meters away from me and was only able to get 2 hits out of 6.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by DAVE5(m): 5:30pm On Mar 18, 2021
Someone7:
Honestly. This should be an option in Nigeria right now. All I have for personal protection are pepper sprays and clubs in my car and in the house. Seriously considering getting some training and getting a firearm

Abeg how you take get the pepper spray, I for like buy keep sef
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 18, 2021
DAVE5:

Abeg how you take get the pepper spray, I for like buy keep sef

On jumia or konga o. Plenty variety dey
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by DAVE5(m): 6:30pm On Mar 18, 2021
Someone7:

On jumia or konga o. Plenty variety dey

Ah, make I place order be that
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by juman(m): 8:00pm On Mar 18, 2021
In those days there were some shops selling guns and bullets, they were few sha.

But as he stated, it seems there are no individuals selling guns anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by DonX001: 10:07pm On Mar 18, 2021
DarkJeddi:
Before now the main reason for owning a firearm in Nigeria is for hunting purposes..
That is why Shotguns like Double barrel and Pump Action guns were the easiest to acquire..
As of 2012,a Semi Automatic Shotgun goes for around 160K..
So I estimate that it would cost upwards of 350K currently..
But with Bubu's current clampdown on gun ownership in Naija,I doubt that it will be legally easy to get access to such again..

Okay noted.
Thanks.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by CaptainAyub: 11:27pm On Mar 18, 2021
SarkinYarki:

It's not even possible to get a license again...your license must have been before Buhari govt
Allow that guy make e de lie up n down.
Police has stopped issuing fresh licenses and suspended yearly renewal since buhari and his insecurity came(there's a small brown book that looks like an international passport where the state commissioner of police is supposed to stamp yearly for yearly renewal of those with preexisting licenses)
In fact,gun owners were instructed to submit their guns to the nearest state commands though I doubt if anyone did.
One even claimed he has a licence for a pistol while it is known that police can only licence pump action,double barrel and such guns only but never pistols or high calibre stuff like AKs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by CaptainAyub: 11:31pm On Mar 18, 2021
KingAzubuike:
Most big men don't have a license. And nobody will disturb or bother them because "they are big men".
On the contrary most big men do have licenses.
Police easily issues licence to those ogas who are known responsible members of the society and even encourage you to gun down armed robbers if you can.
To them,you are helping them reduce the number of criminals in the streets.

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by CaptainAyub: 11:33pm On Mar 18, 2021
ozodigboo:
I once went with a friend to a Police station, out of curiosity and fun, to apply for gun ownership.
We introduced ourselves as doctors, law abiding citizens.
They gave us forms easy. Paid the necessary fees.
They now showed us the list of guns we were allowed to own.
Dane gun, double barrel, chakakpim, Awka made etc
I stormed out of the office in anger.
My friend said I should calm down. Eventually we abandoned the venture.....we were hoping for AK 47, revolver, Berretta etc

My Police friends later told me that it's the law. Anything higher than that, you must be a BIG MAN and the approval must come from the Commissioner of police
Nobody will give you a license to own anything more than those stuff you first listed.
If they do,both of you are involved in an illegal gun ownership.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by CaptainAyub: 11:35pm On Mar 18, 2021
Commotfornigeri:
A thread with potential just wasted.

OP should have detailed the process.
That op is a liar and chasing clout on nairaland.
Since insecurity became serious around 2015-16,govt stopped issuing and renewing gun licenses.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by smile11s(m): 11:37pm On Mar 18, 2021
Do you know how I can get license to own an armored tank?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by CaptainAyub: 11:40pm On Mar 18, 2021
Hedonini:
Pump action is nonsense. You can't use pumpy to challenge bandits armed with Kalash. Besides, it is not handy and flexible enough (to compensate/counter against the advantage of automatic rifles which bandits use).

However, I would like to 'legally' obtain a very small/portable pistol. I find it handier and more flexible, manoeuvreable in combat situations. Is it possible to get a pistol legally?
If you hol your pumpy inside your house,even the trained soldier with an AK will treat you with respect after you discharge one round for air.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by CaptainAyub: 11:45pm On Mar 18, 2021
johnmartus:
I got my Ak47 2 years ago...All my friends that thought they don't need it then now looking for it.

Meanwhile my kids are very stubborn I got a special place for it.
Liar Muhammad, is that you?

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by KingAzubuike(f): 4:04pm On Mar 19, 2021
mutantninja:
I advise everyone reading this thread to try to get a gun for your own protection... the feeling is priceless and you feel like after God you have powers to defend yourself... I was walking on an empty road with my gf to cross to a nearby ATM while our car was parked across early this January and some guys came, 4 of them ... haggard looking and stinking of weed smell.. saying: “oga find your guys something or e go bad this night for you and your fine babe”.. my girl was not scared one bit she was just looking at me smiling and waiting for my reaction... I was busy withdrawing from the ATM after I finished i turned back and noticed they surrounded our passage... I just pulled out my English pistol from my holster (image is attached below if you don’t know what’s it is) and I talked very calmly: “who wan test my bullet first?” Immediately they all took to their heels... young boys aged of 19-25 ... the oldest one of them was walk-in backwards saying, “boss calm down no be so... boss ... boss and walked the other way”.... my gf was just laughing and screaming at them “make una come na” .. i inserted my gun back to my holster and drove off.... of course I had a wonderful night with my gf later at home that night...
You might feel like Rambo but that's very foolish of you. What if they brought out their guns in self defence too?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by gaddafe(m): 8:52pm On Mar 19, 2021
emmabest2000:
One thing is to have a firearm
Another thing is to have the liver to use it when time call for it cheesy

If you don't have a liver
No need bothering yourself looking for firearms

If you have one you would have used it. My dad's gun I inherited I've used it severally. Most times during robbery attack on my home or neighbor, once you release one or two shot they will run. The license I have is the Hunter's license.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Lighthammer(m): 11:38pm On Mar 19, 2021
I wish i could lay my hand on a couple of smith&wesson and glock with hollow tips

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

30,000 Salary Earners: How Do You Cope? / IPOB Members Killed Five Hausa-Fulani Residents In Abia State - DSS / Why Was Ojukwu Given A State Burial By Nigerian Government?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.