Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,199 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience (38356 Views)

Emefiele Pleads Not Guilty To Unlawful Possession Of Firearm / Kiki Osinbajo Denies Owning N800m House In Abuja, Slams Jackson Ude / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by AmzaG: 6:23pm On Mar 16, 2021
How many illegal gun owner have been arrested before
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by PDPBOY(m): 6:23pm On Mar 16, 2021
planning to get one someday sha
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 16, 2021
Extremefiles:
Getting my license was the easiest part. Please do not be confused with my first sentence. When I say easiest part I meant it was easier than getting the firearm itself. Took me several months to actually get proper documentation. After getting my license I realized there was virtually no shop you could just walk into with your license to purchase a gun. After months of inquiries, and countless offer of old rusted relics I was able to purchase a banelli m4 through a link from one of the police stations in Abuja.

The whole process took almost 10 months. This was a few years ago. I don't know how hard/possible it is to get a licence now. Guns yes i know because still use the link for maintenance. Due to not having no option in terms of repairs and servicing. Gun ownership and maintenance is a bit on the high side.

Other licensed gun owners what's your experience

Good rifle and legal too. Out of interest, how much did you pay for it?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by DarkJeddi(m): 6:24pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shyluck:
I have seen a lot of big men with pump action rifles especially at funerals and I would ask myself 'do these people have licences for these guns ?'. Individuals shouldn't be allowed to own pump action guns.
If individuals are not permitted to own Pump Action guns,then what should they be permitted to own,Dane Gun?
Pumps are meant for home defense and are Guns you can easily own in America without much stress or paper works..

3 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Springboot: 6:24pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shabaleen:
I dont have any. Had it been i had one, i would have sent at least 500 killer herdsmen to the world beyond!!

And you will be resting in kirikiri right now of you're still alive tho.

4 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 16, 2021
Extremefiles, Are you an ex security personnel or you are still in service?

It is very hard for most civilians to get license for firearms?

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 16, 2021
pump action or rifle is better, most important knowing how to use one, IMO police should be the last place to get guns from or learn, they lack gun discipline.

3 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Foolishbuhari: 6:25pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shyluck:
I have seen a lot of big men with pump action rifles especially at funerals and I would ask myself 'do these people have licences for these guns ?'. Individuals shouldn't be allowed to own pump action guns.

What should they own then? AK47s perhaps?

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by SmartPolician: 6:25pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shyluck:

In my village, many "big men" announce their return from the city with gunshots.

8 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by SarkinYarki: 6:26pm On Mar 16, 2021
Extremefiles:
Getting my license was the easiest part. Please do not be confused with my first sentence. When I say easiest part I meant it was easier than getting the firearm itself. Took me several months to actually get proper documentation. After getting my license I realized there was virtually no shop you could just walk into with your license to purchase a gun. After months of inquiries, and countless offer of old rusted relics I was able to purchase a banelli m4 through a link from one of the police stations in Abuja.

The whole process took almost 10 months. This was a few years ago. I don't know how hard/possible it is to get a licence now. Guns yes i know because still use the link for maintenance. Due to not having no option in terms of repairs and servicing. Gun ownership and maintenance is a bit on the high side.

It's not even possible to get a license again...your license must have been before Buhari govt

7 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by DarkJeddi(m): 6:26pm On Mar 16, 2021
DEBJOCH1:
IF IT IS THAT DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE TO GET, WHY IS IT THAT FULANI AND BOKO BOY EASILY GET THEM SO HANDY WITHOUT STRESS?,
You can more easily get guns illegally in Naija..

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by shegzhkn: 6:27pm On Mar 16, 2021
A lot of people want gun, Lol.
If their is a mass proliferation of firearms in that country, the country is done.
Apart from the fact that Nigerians will kill themselves senselessly, the only leverage the crooks leading the country have will be gone and the next Nationwide protest (due to maybe police brutality, human right abuse, unemployment, etc) will not be people carrying placard or observing any from of civil disobedience but actions from places like Benghazi, Allepo, Kandahar, Kunar, Ramadi, etc and it only a matter of time before the 'protesters' overrun their guard dogs and their freedom will be eventually threatened.
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by DonX001: 6:28pm On Mar 16, 2021
Extremefiles:

Are you required to give definitive reasons for owning the gun when applying?
And what reasons are acceptable and valid?
Like can you as a civilian just apply and say you want one for self defence? Or there are specific reasons you must say.

Finally how much did it cost you in total to get the licence, excluding the cost of the gun (you can tell us the cost of the gun separately).
And where can I apply for a license and training in how to use the gun if I want one?

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by SarkinYarki: 6:29pm On Mar 16, 2021
Shyluck:

What should the be allowed to own? Forget the name Please pump action is nothing but a shot gun just like double barrel with a horizontal tube magazine below the breech

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Dalil8: 6:30pm On Mar 16, 2021
Extremefiles:

Why aren't ppl going for an AK 47 or M4 rifle?

Why only shotguns and handguns tho?

And how much did you get yours?
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by OneKinGuy(m): 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2021
Is it possible to LEGALLY own a handgun. If it is, How can one get it please.

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2021
SarkinYarki:

What should the be allowed to own? Forget the name Please pump action is nothing but a shot gun just like double barrel with a horizontal tube magazine below the breech

Yes, until they test it on your head
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Ladycewhy(f): 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2021
I was hoping to see the process involved in getting a license to own a gun in Nigeria as a civilian. undecided

15 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by SarkinYarki: 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2021
liab:
its not easy to get license in nigeria, i remember that year that i want to get license for my ak-103 gun it took me 16months

Lies ..Nigeria has never offered license for assault style weapons

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by KingAzubuike(f): 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2021
Most big men don't have a license. And nobody will disturb or bother them because "they are big men".

4 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 16, 2021
Dalil8:

Why aren't ppl going for an AK 47?

Why only shotguns or handguns tho?

Ak 47 is an assault rifle not meant for civilians.

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by nedekid: 6:33pm On Mar 16, 2021
wallay77:
E en..hmmm...but wait what do u intend do with it
See question
Protect your home!!
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 16, 2021
Uzi: my dream gun.

3 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by SarkinYarki: 6:34pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Yes, until they test it on your head

It's still nothing but a shot gun and at most 12 guage and only lethal at close range , kill range expires at a mere 50 yards

1 Like

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 16, 2021
liab:
its not easy to get license in nigeria, i remember that year that i want to get license for my ak-103 gun it took me 16months

Which Nigeria are you talking about
Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by prince2pac(m): 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2021
liab:
are serious or just lying

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by ozodigboo(m): 6:38pm On Mar 16, 2021
I once went with a friend to a Police station, out of curiosity and fun, to apply for gun ownership.
We introduced ourselves as doctors, law abiding citizens.
They gave us forms easy. Paid the necessary fees.
They now showed us the list of guns we were allowed to own.
Dane gun, double barrel, chakakpim, Awka made etc
I stormed out of the office in anger.
My friend said I should calm down. Eventually we abandoned the venture.....we were hoping for AK 47, revolver, Berretta etc

My Police friends later told me that it's the law. Anything higher than that, you must be a BIG MAN and the approval must come from the Commissioner of police

14 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by fatymore(f): 6:38pm On Mar 16, 2021
I might need a gun to reset some customers brains. Pricing market as if we are in Jonathan's regime.

Get it clear, no be only food deg expensive, everything in Nigeria is now gold even human being grin

2 Likes

Re: Owning A Legal Firearm In Nigeria: My Experience by Commotfornigeri: 6:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
A thread with potential just wasted.

OP should have detailed the process.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

We Are Shock That Kaduna Gov. Has Stop Feeding Muslim In Ramadan - Sheikh / Why Tinubu Boycotted APC NEC Meeting – Chieftain: The SUN / Fulani Herdsmen Attack Enugu Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.