Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,611 members, 7,861,897 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:31 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114930 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:21am On Oct 02, 2013
The Melungeon/Mbundu Angolan People of America: Mysterious Heritage grin grin grin grin grin
Abe Lincoln, Tom Hanks, Elvis Presley Share Mysterious DNA
By james campbell

President Abe Lincoln, Actress Ava Gardner, Actor Tom Hanks, Actress Heather Locklear, Singer Elvis Presley and Comedian Steve Martin

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:25am On Oct 02, 2013
1ST BLACK PRESIDENT OF USA HAD ANGOLAN ROOTS. FACT.

The Melungeon/Mbundu Angolan People of America: Mysterious Heritage grin grin grin grin grin
Abe Lincoln, Tom Hanks, Elvis Presley Share Mysterious DNA
By james campbell

President Abe Lincoln, Actress Ava Gardner, Actor Tom Hanks, Actress Heather Locklear, Singer Elvis Presley and Comedian Steve Martin

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
django1: This might sound like a generalization but its the truth, Ibos will do "anything" to get one back at you.

So watchout kails.

lolz.

Sweetheart I am Jamaican.
We have a saying, "duppy know who fi frighten"

in other words, "ghosts/punks know who to terrorize and who to leave alone". wink wink wink

speaking of punks, my beef is with one punk, not his tribe.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 1:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
*Kails*:

lolz.

Sweetheart I am Jamaican.
We have a saying, "duppy know who fi frighten"

in other words, "ghosts/punks know who to terrorize and who to leave alone". wink wink wink

speaking of punks, my beef is with one punk, not his tribe.

But he is their king! LMFAO cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jayvarley:

That is where the issue lies. Some people do not want to appreciate the FACTS that the diaspora, come from a blend of African ethnicities and not just one or two.

You know what I am saying? Now this fo0l wrote an entire chapter book grin
for me (which I swear on my life I did not and WILL not read cheesy cheesy) because he can't take the fact that we are descendants of Africans from over 27 countries, not just one or from one tribe only. It goes to show someone LACKS common sense.

I just feel sorry for any black AA or Caribbean who encounter the likes of THAT before doing their own research.
They will be deprived of their other rich histories and lied to.

I have no issues with IGBO people at all. But I will not entertain wild claims that all or most African Americans are purely of IGBO descent.

Any Igbo who'll read this thread an assume that you do, thinks like he does.
But until that happens it's safe to say, that most who will peep this thread will understand where we are coming from.

I was watching a vid on youtube and an AA girl traced her lineage paternally to UGANADA. Can you imagine?
A country so far in the East of Africa nevertheless slaves were obviously marched from there to the West Coast to be SOLD!!

Oh yeah! There have been black ppl from the diaspora who took DNA tests and found that some of their ancestry is from as far as east africa. No doubt. Initially slaves from Uganda all the way down to Mozambique, were taken to the middle east but then when the Portuguese got into the slave trade, after fighting with the horner africans and the arabs, they confiscated some of the slaves from the region and brought them to the americas (mostly south though). Little is known about that. Which I think is sad. undecided undecided

Yet some folks want to act like those HUMANS did not count, but that their tribe is what matters. grin grin

As for your last point that was SPOT ON. If that was the case it does mean that they were either defeated miserably or had no PROBLEM selling their own. That's sad as hell. Who would want to claim that legacy?

Anyway, I did not intend to join this tired thread, just say Fula cosigning to a bigot and decided to let him know what was up but you and kwame keep doing what you guys are doing.

Don't allow ppl to lie about our history like that. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jayvarley:

But he is their king! LMFAO cheesy

lol on WHICH PLANET? grin

If that's the case I feel soo soo bad for them! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 1:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
*Kails*:

lol on WHICH PLANET? grin

If that's the case I feel soo soo bad for them! grin

Well he is obviously very passionate about his people. I give him that.

So who knows. .

If anyone should be elected as KING of the IGBO'S it should be him! cheesy
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
@Jav
U ARE 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% RIGHT. EVEN AN AA ACADEMIC DR LINDA HEYWOOD AGREES WITH U. READ. pity 149ers and prostitutes think otherwise, plus they still wanna SCAM ya'll. grin grin grin grin

[b]Pinpointing DNA Ancestry in Africa
Most African Americans hail from just 46 ethnic groups, research shows.

By: Linda Heywood, Ph.D., and John Thornton, Ph.D. | Posted: October 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Source: David Eltis and David Richardson, Atlas of the Transatlantic Slave Trade

Before the advent of DNA testing, scholars relied on shipping records that listed the African ports from which slaves were exported to determine where in Africa the African-descended population of the United States originated. But these lists were quite limited because they noted only the port of departure and not the actual community from which the enslaved were taken.

Advancements in DNA analyses, along with African shipping records, have revealed that African Americans do not have roots in the entire continent. A relatively small number of African groups supplied the lion's share of the ancestral African population.

In fact, three large regions of Atlantic Africa were the major contributors to the slave trade: Upper Guinea, including the modern countries of Senegal, Mali, Gambia, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia; Lower Guinea, including the southern portions of Eastern Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin and Nigeria; and West Central Africa, which encompassed mostly the western portions of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola. In all, these regions made up only about 15 percent of Africa's total area, all on the Atlantic side of the continent.

People were once skeptical of claims made by early DNA ancestry-tracing services that they could identify a subject's "tribe" or "ethnicity" in Africa; the available data didn't seem to sustain such claims. But new ways of calculating ancestry from the genome and larger African samples can make determining ethnic identifications more accurate.
[/b] grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://www.theroot.com/views/tracing-dna-not-just-africa-one-tribe

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
@Jav
Frances21 is stuck on Chamber's FALSE CLAIMS AS IF CHAMBERS IS THE ALFA AND OMEGA OF THE "ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE". Historians do cirtitse each other some are BIASE TOWARDS CERTAIN PEOPLE that they might have met in their lives. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

IF WE WERE STU-PID WE WERE GONNA BELIEVE THE DNA TESTS SHOWING AA'S ARE 47% YORUBA. PITY WE'RE SMART AND READ IN DEPTH ABOUT THE SLAVETRADE AND CHALLENGED THAT DODGY DNA TEST. Proving that Yoruba weren't prominent in US. grin grin grin grin grin grin

WE AND OTHER HISTORIANS DID THE SAME WITH CHAMBERS, HE CAN LIE TO HIMSELF AND THOSE WHO BELIEVE HIS CRAP. cheesy grin grin grin

Good news is that CHAMBERS IS AN OLD ASSHOLE WHO NEAR THE GRAVEYARD. HE MUST TAKE HIS LIES THERE. grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
Before the advent of DNA testing, scholars relied on shipping records that listed the African ports from which slaves were exported to determine where in Africa the African-descended population of the United States originated. But these lists were quite limited because they noted only the port of departure and not the actual community from which the enslaved were taken.

true.

So a guy from let's say the bamoun tribe could of easily found himself being taken to a port in the Bight of Biafra region, listed as being from one of those tribes etc etc.

(notice i said TRIBES)
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
kwame tut:

People were once skeptical of claims made by early DNA ancestry-tracing services that they could identify a subject's "tribe" or "ethnicity" in Africa; the available data didn't seem to sustain such claims. But new ways of calculating ancestry from the genome and larger African samples can make determining ethnic identifications more accurate.
[/b] grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://www.theroot.com/views/tracing-dna-not-just-africa-one-tribe

Yes Kwame

Even to this day even geneticists are still sceptical about DNA testing. Because they are aware of the fact that these DNA testing can only provide two lines in a persons make up. MT DNA and Y DNA.

This is like saying that a father can produce a son without the DNA of the woman. Therefore a person who has a (Paternal) Y DNA test done will never know anything about the women in his fathers lineage or where they are from.

Also if a person has a Maternal MT DNA test done they will never know anything about the men in their mothers line.

This kind of DNA testing misses out the DNA of hundreds of ancestors in a persons lineage.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
grin.

As if I care about what you think. You can think all you want. That isn't my problem. But the truth and facts still stand. They aren't begging to be believed by you. The 28 and 18 AAs and much more that visited Igboland clearly weren't delusional. grin

DNA testing remains the only solid proof. Haters can hate all they want.

I'm yet to see another tribe having such number or return visitations. smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 2:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
bigfrancis21: grin.

As if I care about what you think. You can think all you want. That isn't my problem. But the truth and facts still stand. They aren't begging to be believed by you. The 28 and 18 AAs and much more that visited Igboland clearly weren't delusional. grin

DNA testing remains the only solid proof. Haters can hate all they want.

I'm yet to see another tribe having such number or return visitations. smiley

Ok KING Francis

Even I know better than to argue with a king.

Your Decree is established wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
@ Kwame

No matter how much evidence you show the KING he will never believe you! grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jayvarley, I've warned you to stop talking to me or quoting my posts. I don't care about you or your existence. You lost all my respect and trust for you a long time ago.

I've warned you to mind your business. I don't ever remember talking to you or quoting your posts. You can think all you want, I don't care. I'm entitled to my own opinions, which stems from massive research being done.

Please stay away from me.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2013
Dr Mildo Hall Gwendolyn, Dr. Chambers Douglas, University of Maryland College park, The Museum of Virginia, African americans alike, physical evidence alike all attest to the substantial Igbo presence in the US.

I didn't make up those. cheesy
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
bigfrancis21: Jayvarley, I've warned you to stop talking to me or quoting my posts. I don't care about you or your existence. You lost all my respect and trust for you a long time ago.

I've warned you to mind your business. I don't ever remember talking to you or quoting your posts. You can think all you want, I don't care. I'm entitled to my own opinions, which stems from massive research being done.

Please stay away from me.

What will happen if I don't?

Will you scam me or sell me?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ervine Rumph
I and my family roots has been traced back to Our Igbo Heritage, on my Father’s side of Our Family,
here in America. I am so honored and am so very very very happy to have come by this article. I will
safe-guard it, by adding it to Our written history, left unto us by Our Late Great Uncle, of whom
was 93 years of age, before passing away. And of whom did the research, and that the family owes for Our Family’s Discovery in this blessed area of our life’s work from slavery to present day. selah.

http://247ureports.com/african-americans-home-coming-to-igbo-land/
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
bigfrancis21:

http://247ureports.com/african-americans-home-coming-to-igbo-land/

Very good article KING FRANCIS.

What other interesting facts do you have about IGBO AFRICAN AMERICANS?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 3:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
kwame tut: ^^^^Thats an Ibo prostite in Enugugrin grin grin grin grin

Looks like she needs prayers!! shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 3:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2013
@Frances21
U even went as far lying abt Afrikaners/whites in South Africa

THE REAL TRUETH.
I even made an example of Afrikaners/whites in South Africa, its general belief that theyr DUTCH. But in reality theyr are a mixture of EUROPEANS. Recent DNA tests by Stellenbosch university show theyr Afrikaner nation´s ancestry was Dutch 34.8%, German 33.7%, French 13.2%, Non White/Bantu and Khoisan 6.9%, British 5.2%, Other European nations 2.7%, Unknown 3.5%. Note these people like AAs have been in Africa for 350 years.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by collynzo2(m): 3:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
Kwame Tut get a job, stupîd Ghanaian in denial.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 02, 2013
Wasn't that a picture of a naked mentally ill woman in Cameroon?

Every picture and video in Africa that is crazy enough to shock = Igbo

Talking about people needing prayers...physician heal thyself.

And then tackle the numerous socio-political problems plaguing Central Africa instead of calling the kettle black.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
This is the cameroonian blog from where the picture was taken:

http://tumfweko.com/2012/01/05/picture-of-the-day-10/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 02, 2013
To be quite honest I could care less where majority of the slaves of the new world came from.

All it reveals is which region turned around the most to sell out their own like rabbits.

Disgusting history. The Igbo posters here should ashamed of arguing this out. If proof shows that central Africans overly indulged themselves in such let them wear the crown.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (59) (Reply)

Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!) / Video Of Oluwo Of Iwo Rolling Weed Released By Chanel Chin, His Ex Wife / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.