Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,417 members, 7,853,818 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 04:32 AM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114740 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 5:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
Very mature. Now who is resorting to stereotyping and insults. You seem emotionally invested JayVarley. SMH. I personally do not believe that the bulk of slaves brought to the Americas were IGBOS, maybe to the States of Georgia, South and North Carolina Virginia, Kentucky, and Maryland, particularly the Eastern Shores, but, Yorubas were strong in the Caribbean, too. There are black Hondurans, Mexicans, Panamanians, Colombians, Peruvians, from many tribes of west and central Africa. I simply disapprove of the IGBO bashing. I love the Igbo and Edo people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
nnenna.1:
This is the cameroonian blog from where the picture was taken:

http://tumfweko.com/2012/01/05/picture-of-the-day-10/

Thank you for bringing to our notice where that picture was picked out from. I told OlderAmerican before that pictures are just picked from anywhere and tagged as Igboland.

I'll get the sources to the other pictures posted here to prove they are not Igboland.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
nnenna.1:
To be quite honest I could care less where majority of the slaves of the new world came from.

All it reveals is which region turned around the most to sell out their own like rabbits.

Disgusting history. The Igbo posters here should ashamed of arguing this out. If proof shows that central Africans overly indulged themselves in such let them wear the crown.

Its not a proud thing, I tell you. Personally I'm very passionate about the slave trade and the Igbo contribution. Each time I post about the slave trade I post the Igbo contribution to it, being an Igbo myself. Never have I claimed that Igbos were the bulk. Never. Yet these people fail to understand where I'm coming from.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:26pm On Oct 02, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: Very mature. Now who is resorting to stereotyping and insults. You seem emotionally invested JayVarley. SMH. I personally do not believe that the bulk of slaves brought to the Americas were IGBOS, maybe to the States of Georgia, South and North Carolina Virginia, Kentucky, and Maryland, particularly the Eastern Shores, but, Yorubas were strong in the Caribbean, too. There are black Hondurans, Mexicans, Panamanians, Colombians, Peruvians, from many tribes of west and central Africa. I simply disapprove of the IGBO bashing. I love the Igbo and Edo people.

@Bold...I'm also going by the same thing. I've never claimed bulk of the slave trade came from Igboland. My point has always been that the Igbo were taken in substantial numbers. I wonder why they just can't seem to understand that.

Several sites exist that discuss the Akan contribution, Bantu contribution ettc where contributions pertaining only to Akan and Bantu are discussed yet nobody complains. When the Igbo contribution is discussed, unnecessary dust and furore are generated.

What Dr. Chambers Douglas did was to highlight the Igbo contribution to the slave trade. It was his research work that opened up the world into the Igbo contribution in the annals of slave history.

Instead of engage in intelligent discourse, they resort to name calling and profanity. What is it they are so emotional about?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 6:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hello ladies and gentlemen, please keep this thread professional and clean. Thank you
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
Fulaman198: Hello ladies and gentlemen, please keep this thread professional and clean. Thank you

Good evening. How you doing, sir? I'll send you an email now.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 6:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: Very mature. Now who is resorting to stereotyping and insults. You seem emotionally invested JayVarley. SMH. I personally do not believe that the bulk of slaves brought to the Americas were IGBOS, maybe to the States of Georgia, South and North Carolina Virginia, Kentucky, and Maryland, particularly the Eastern Shores, but, Yorubas were strong in the Caribbean, too. There are black Hondurans, Mexicans, Panamanians, Colombians, Peruvians, from many tribes of west and central Africa. I simply disapprove of the IGBO bashing. I love the Igbo and Edo people.

Ok well maybe you should read some of the derogatory things KING "IGBO" FRANCIS has said about African Americans your opinion of him might be altered slightly wink

I am hardly "emotionally invested" at all.

I'm just a strong personality wink

I have nothing against IGBO'S they have a strong culture and sense of identity.

Something that many people of the Caribbean also posses.

I cannot say that I love a particular tribe or people.

I may like individuals if they hold certain qualities I admire, but to extend my love to a whole tribe or ethnicity whom I do not know personally
does not seem feasible for me.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 12:33am On Oct 03, 2013
Strange JayVarley because my family, Wayland and Vanessa, Timmy, Karla, and Kathy visit Jamaica every year and love the Jamaican culture...guess you're just a rare yardie.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 12:35am On Oct 03, 2013
Big Frances when Igbo honor is being restored a call for decorum and decency comes. Hmmmmm.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 7:09am On Oct 03, 2013
nnenna.1:
To be quite honest I could care less where majority of the slaves of the new world came from.

All it reveals is which region turned around the most to sell out their own like rabbits.

Disgusting history. The Igbo posters here should ashamed of arguing this out. If proof shows that central Africans overly indulged themselves in such let them wear the crown.

You mean the west African Igbos who give traditional title to black American? Or the countless Igbo on this board opening threads about how black American aka igbo aka their brothers/sons were successful in America? Ah ah
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:47am On Oct 03, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: Strange JayVarley because my family, Wayland and Vanessa, Timmy, Karla, and Kathy visit Jamaica every year and love the Jamaican culture...guess you're just a rare yardie.

Well I'm only half "Yardie" But still Caribbean. My Fathers side are from Barbados. wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (59) (Reply)

Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!) / Video Of Oluwo Of Iwo Rolling Weed Released By Chanel Chin, His Ex Wife / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.