Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,782 members, 7,831,521 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114161 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 4:01pm On Sep 28, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: An older American is black and proud.

If you are the person in the picture Francis posted, I am not so sure.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 4:19pm On Sep 28, 2013
Well you my poor depraved IGBO hater have a right to your opinion on what degree of melanoma and pigment determines acceptable physical blackness to your criteria. I am from the land of slavery, Jim Crow, KKK, lynchings, Civil Rights, one drop of black blood making folks black no matter how blue the eyes or blonde the hair, where in the eyes of the whites we were all Niggers, yellows, browns, blacks, and blue black shines. So, frankly, I don't give a f u c k whether or not I am black enough for you!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 4:21pm On Sep 28, 2013
Jeff Pierce

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: Well you my poor depraved IGBO hater have a right to your opinion on what degree of melanoma and pigment determines acceptable physical blackness to your criteria. I am from the land of slavery, Jim Crow, KKK, lynchings, Civil Rights, one drop of black blood making folks black no matter how blue the eyes or blonde the hair, where in the eyes of the whites we were all Niggers, yellows, browns, blacks, and blue black shines. So, frankly, I don't give a f u c k whether or not I am black enough for you!

You have lost all credibility.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 4:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
Kairoseki77:

You have lost all credibility.

Please leave him alone. He has proven himself too much already. Talking about credibility you lost yours a long time ago.

Clearly he's not your age mate. Chatting on a faceless forum with him doesn't suddenly make you equal with him. Accord him his respect.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 7:35pm On Sep 28, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: Frances I guess they failed to notice three decades between us. lol many rains enyi

Its funny.

Its raining over here like crazy too, enyi m oma(my good friend). cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:18pm On Sep 28, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: Keep on believing that idiots, you two are the dilusional.
Born in Bridgeton, NJ.
Mother born in Atlantc City, NJ.
Father a twin, born 15 min. After his brother, Richard at home in Gouldtown, NJ.
Google Wayman Alexander Pierce, Sr. And Agnes Butler Pierce (paternal grandparents)
Attended Gouldtown School now Fairfield Township Intermediate School.
Bridgeton High
School Colors Burgandy and White
Mascot Bulldog
Yaddah yaddah yaddah.......My Governor is Chris Christie
I live on Seashore Rd.
Look up Lower Township, Cape May on map.

There is an IGBO owned Deli And Restaurant called Brothers
II in Cape May, NJ, four miles from my beautiful house. Now who is crazy? Igbo haters are some strange folks indeed.

@Bold...I like that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by deejay717(f): 7:48am On Sep 29, 2013
Some ppl are just truly hateful smh damn it hurts. I don't understand at all.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 7:50am On Oct 01, 2013
AFRO BAHAMAIANS

Afro-Bahamian
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Afro-Bahamian
Sidney PoitierHubert IngrahamChris Brown
Mychal ThompsonChris "Kazi" Rolle
Sidney Poitier • Hubert Ingraham • Chris Brown • Mychal Thompson • Chris Rolle
Total population
Approx. 340,000
Regions with significant populations

Bahamas (Approx. 262,000[1])
Florida, London, Georgia, Alabama, New York City
Languages
Bahamian Dialect, Bahamian Creole, Haitian Creole, American English
Religion
Christianity, the Rastafari movement, Obeah
Related ethnic groups
African people • Afro-Caribbean • Afro-American • English people

Afro-Bahamians or Bahamians of African descent are Bahamians whose ancestry lies within the continent of Africa, most notably Central Africa. [/b]The first Africans to arrive to The Bahamas came from Bermuda with the Eleutheran Adventurers as freed slaves looking for a new life.
Contents

1 Origins
2 History
3 Demography
4 Culture of African origin
5 Language
5.1 African influence
6 References and footnotes

Origins

The first slaves brought to the archipelago came of Bermuda (the slaves of this archipelago were, at least, of Angolan and Ghanaian descent).

[b]Most of slaves hailed from Central Africa, more than 37,000 were exported to The Bahamas.
The rest of the slaves were from Senegambia (although alone were exported to The Bahamas, about 806 slaves from that area), Sierra Leone (only 1,187 slaves in that region), Windward Coast (1,030 slaves were imported from this area), from Ghana (only 484 slaves in that region), the Bight of Benin (1,044 slaves arrived to The Bahamas from there), from Nigeria (specifically Igbo. Slaves from Bight of Biafra and Equatoguinean adjacent islands were over 21,000) [2] and ethnicity such as Akan origin (Fante - Ashanti), Yoruba, Fulani and Kongos to country during the colonial period, which influenced on the current Bahamian Creole.

Many Bahamians are also descendants of Gullah imported to archipelago during the American Revolution. In 1821, some Angolans from the United States migrated to The Bahamas.

Currently more than 30,000 Haitians migrants live in the archipelag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Bahamian

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 8:21am On Oct 01, 2013
Origins

Most of the slaves imported to Guyana came from Ghana (around 4% or 279 people), Bight of Biafra (around 16,8% or 4,300 people) and [b]Central Africa (around 22.3% or 18,000). [/b]Thousands of slaves also arrived from Senegambia (more than 14,000 came to British Guiana, 16.8% of the slaves) and the current Sierra Leone (11.8% of the slaves of the region, more of 10.000 people), Bight of Benin (5.1% of the slaves, more than 4,300 people) and Windward Coast (the 6.1% of the slaves of the island, more than 5,220 people). [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Guyanese

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 8:23am On Oct 01, 2013
RONALD VENETIAAN LOOKS LIKE THE FORMER PRESIDENT OF GHANA. HES PURELY AKAN, HE CAN BLEND IN GH. grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked
Our blood is strong*shaking his Ashanti a$$*

Origins

Most of the slaves imported to Suriname came from Central Africa (more of 66,900 slaves, the 31,6% of the slaves of the place), Ghana (the 25% of the slaves, more of 53.000 people) and Bight of Benin (from there arrived the 16,4% of the slaves, more of 34,700 people). In Suriname also arrived thousands of slaves from Senegambia (since where were imported more of 1,300 slaves from there to archipelago, the 0,7% of the slaves) and the current Sierra Leone (0,7% of the slaves of the region, more of 1.400 people), Windward Coast (the 3,6% of the slaves of the island, more of 7,520 people) and Bight of Biafra (from there arrived the 2,1% of the slaves, more of 4,300 people).[citation needed]

The Akans of Fanti subgroup (a subgroup exported, at least, from Ivory Coast) and Ashanti (from the Ashanti Region, in central Ghana) were, legally, the predominant group among slaves in Suriname. However, in practice, slaves from Loango,[1]purchased in Cabinda, Angola,[2] were the largest group of slaves in Suriname since 1670 and surpassed the Gold Coast in almost all periods. However, there were also slaves Ewe (who live in southern Ghana, Togo and Benin), Yoruba (from Benin[3]) and Kongos, who left their cultural footprints in Suriname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Surinamese

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 8:46am On Oct 01, 2013
KONGO/ANGOLA SLAVES IN HAITI OVERTIME cheesy grin grin grin
EXPOSING BigFrances21 FALSE CLAIMS, he said Igbos were prominet in Haiti there even threads on Nairaland spreading this LIE.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 9:04am On Oct 01, 2013
Afro-Curacao
ANDRUW JONES is from here wink cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Origins

Most slaves were for Ghana (15,000 slaves came from this place. Many of them were Ashantis[1]). The rest of the slaves were imported from Senegambia (over 2,000 slaves), Sierra Leone (only 669 slaves came from this place), the Windward Coast (542 slaves), Bight of Benin (over 37,000 slaves), the Bight of Biafra (over 1,000 slaves) cry cry cry cry cry, Angola (specifically Loangos from Cabinda Province.[1]

More than 38,000 Central African slaves were exported to Curaçao and "other" places in Africa (3,268 slaves).[2] In addition, some linguists consider the Papiamento must have arisen on this island. At this point we should mention that some linguists who have studied the Papiamento, suggest the arrival of slaves Cape Verdeans (most Cape Verdeans are of Guinean origin) and São Toméan of Angolan origin to the islands, groups which, according to them, could have influenced the creation of this dialect. Ethnically Afro-Curaçaoans largely descended from the intermarriages and contacts between the African Slaves, Amerindians that lived on the island, Spanish slave traders, British log cutters and Dutch settlers .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Cura%C3%A7aoan

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 3:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
kwame tut: Origins

Most of the slaves imported to Guyana came from Ghana (around 4% or 279 people), Bight of Biafra (around 16,8% or 4,300 people) and [b]Central Africa (around 22.3% or 18,000). [/b]Thousands of slaves also arrived from Senegambia (more than 14,000 came to British Guiana, 16.8% of the slaves) and the current Sierra Leone (11.8% of the slaves of the region, more of 10.000 people), Bight of Benin (5.1% of the slaves, more than 4,300 people) and Windward Coast (the 6.1% of the slaves of the island, more than 5,220 people). [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Guyanese

Went to Guyana and I noticed that most of the Black people in Guyana closely resembled Ghanaians.
Most if them did NOT appear to have that "mixed look" that you see in other parts of the diaspora.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by GHPATRIOT(m): 3:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
Jayvarley:

Went to Guyana and I noticed that most of the Black people in Guyana closely resembled Ghanaians.
Most if them did NOT appear to have that "mixed look" that you see in other parts of the diaspora.

Hey! The name Ghana does not have any cultural significance among the tribes in present day Ghana. The name originates from the Mali Empire and was adopted by Kwame Nkrumah to replace Gold Coast in order to have an African identity.
Present day Ghana is diversed, we have the Hausas of Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Mali now integrated.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 3:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

Hey! The name Ghana does not have any cultural significance among the tribes in present day Ghana. The name originates from the Mali Empire and was adopted by Kwame Nkrumah to replace Gold Coast in order to have an African identity.
Present day Ghana is diversed, we have the Hausas of Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Mali now integrated.

Never said it did! grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by GHPATRIOT(m): 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
Jayvarley:

Never said it did! grin

Are you calling me a liar?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 6:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
You guys are certifiably insane. Kwame, is Harry Belafonte black?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 6:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
BigFrances21, how can you endure such insolent, envious, IGBO hating folks? I mean seriously, man, they are Insane.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: You guys are certifiably insane. Kwame, is Harry Belafonte black?

He is a Jamaican of mixed heritage.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
Jayvarley:

Well I don't know if they look like any one specific group but some of them have a more "purer"
look than the average caribbean (much like most Haitians).
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

Are you calling me a liar?

I honestly don't know what you're on about.

Obviously a troll looking for an argument.

Most of the slaves imported to Guyana came from Ghana

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Guyanese

They still resemble Ghanaians today.

Is that an issue for you??

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
*Kails*:

Well I don't know if they look like any one specific group but some of them have a more "purer"
look than the average caribbean (much like most Haitians).

Yes I noticed this.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: BigFrances21, how can you endure such insolent, envious, IGBO hating folks? I mean seriously, man, they are Insane.

When you live in the midst of all the hate, envy and accusations, you'll do the only natural thing left to do - you develop a thick skin such that all the negative energy doesn't seem like anything to you. smiley

How was your day, sir?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 10:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:

When you live in the midst of all the hate, envy and accusations, you'll do the only natural thing left to do - you develop a thick skin such that all the negative energy doesn't seem like anything to you. smiley

How was your day, sir?

Wonderful level of maturity

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 2:56am On Oct 02, 2013
I guess I am blessed to have been born American.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 2:58am On Oct 02, 2013
May the IGBOS live forevermore!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 3:13am On Oct 02, 2013
Fulaman198:

Wonderful level of maturity

no offense but take the time to actually read the thread before you cosign.
he is anything but humble or mature.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 02, 2013
Jayvarley:

Yes I noticed this.

cool.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by AnOlderAmerican(m): 3:29am On Oct 02, 2013
And he should believe you because you are Kails? Lmao Jay Varley the coin has 2 sides. Igbo lovers Igbo haters at least in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 3:44am On Oct 02, 2013
look here, this is the ONE and only time I will address this issue
unlike some cowards, when i address people i use ONE account. I don't need to TALK TO or console myself using another I.D. I am grown and have no respect for alt account clowns esp. those who chat shyt.

That's one.

Second the same dude disrespected the fulani ethnic group JUST BECAUSE i said some of our forefathers were fulani among other groups. (Jayvarley, Kwame, and Chima can back me up on that!!) Now just because your "lord and saviour" or should i say really your SECOND PERSONALITY, felt butthurt that he/YOU cannot claim an entire group of people (diaspora blacks) as his/YOUR own, he/YOU resorted to personal and bigoted attacks that were tribalistic in nature.

Because I respect Fulaman, I didn't want him associated with the likes of THAT/YOUR ILK.

And I am done.
FOH with that obviously FAKE profile picture. Now keep recycling this culture section page as guest to see if i left, log on and chat more sh-t if you like, I'm out.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.