Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,071 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? (29865 Views)

Shaki: What I Saw On The meat(towel) In The Market This Morning(picture) / As There Is No Meat In The Market, We Saw An Alternative / SHOCKING: The Costly Food Items I Bought In The Market Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by pocohantas(f): 4:24pm On Mar 20, 2021
The question is straightforward.

I wanted to buy a little ugu today and the seller asked if she should cut it, the way I screamed NO startled/embarrassed the other buyer, who was cutting hers. I apologized for startling them though. cheesy

One of the hardest parts of cooking certain meals has to be picking, washing and cutting the vegetables. Something like edikan ikong and afang soup, I have to be mentally prepared before I cook them, so I understand people who decide to cut off that stress.

Is there any risk to cutting in the market or cutting before washing?

7 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by iamyemiakins(m): 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2021
Some of these market vegetable sellers/cutters will have cuts on their hands during the process and the blood will start dripping on the vegetable.

Cut ur vegetables at home, wash before cutting and wash after cutting to get ur vegetables clean and devoid of dirts.

32 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2021
Nothing really wrong in allowing them to cut it but to be on the safer side(i.e thorough washing to completely remove dirt's) its advisable to cut it yourself when you get home,you will also notice that washing before cutting gives maximum cleanliness devoid of some small particles (sand or others ) than washing after cutting.You loose some nutrients too when you cut before washing

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Mar 20, 2021
iamyemiakins:
Some will have cuts on their hands during the process and the blood will start dripping on the vegetable.

Tufiakwa!
leave here and go make money so your wife can give you good food.komot for kitchen jor with your strong body

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by budaatum: 4:41pm On Mar 20, 2021
pocohantas:
The question is straightforward.

Is there any risk to cutting in the market or cutting before washing?

Cutting before washing opens up pores in the vegetable through which all the goodness will get washed away. You'd notice the water is greener when you wash cut vegetables than uncut vegetables. I like my goodness to remain in my food and my belle loves the labour of my hands.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by iamyemiakins(m): 4:41pm On Mar 20, 2021
Zzor:
[s]leave here and go make money so your wife can give you good food.komot for kitchen jor with your strong body[/s]
On the left side of ur brain there's nothing right and on the right side of ur brain, there's nothing left

128 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Kondomatic(m): 4:43pm On Mar 20, 2021
Nah, I take time to wash my vegetables before I cut them..

I don't think that voice can startle anyone sha.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by ediko5(m): 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2021
During my NYSC days a woman was amazed when I told her I'll cut my vegetables at home.

But now, I don over lazy.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 20, 2021
Kondomatic:

You stole from my comment else you won't know that logic
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 20, 2021
ediko5:
During my NYSC days a woman was amazed when I told her I'll cut my vegetables at home.

Cutting them at home is the best

6 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Kondomatic(m): 4:53pm On Mar 20, 2021
Zzor:
You stole from my comment else you won't know that logic
Which kain wahala you dey find like this bro?

Shey nah me and you dey go market ni?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Kondomatic(m): 5:00pm On Mar 20, 2021
ediko5:

You see vegetables, meat and fish, I prefer to cut them myself.

The reason is that I prefer to wash the vegetables thoroughly first before cutting them, and I also pluck the leaves one by one to make sure I remove the infested ones if there's any.

I wash the meat before and after cutting it, as for fish, I like them big so the market women may not cut it the size I want.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by 1Sharon(f): 5:15pm On Mar 20, 2021
You're supposed to wash before cutting, if you cut before...you lose the nutrients

12 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Twoclans(f): 5:56pm On Mar 20, 2021
Truth be told I was trained by my mother to wash vegetables before cutting .It is actually the best and safest way of preparing vegetables.

However I have grown very old and I hate cooking with a passion ,i really do not have anything against cutting vegetables in the market .Just wash with salt when you get home. lipsrsealed

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by ThiagoKid(m): 6:41pm On Mar 20, 2021
Cc;
Rhodaogunpeju, good evening.

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by pocohantas(f): 7:08pm On Mar 20, 2021
ediko5:

I would be surprised too that a man prefers to cut at home. grin

Kondomatic:

That is what makes it startling. I am getting lazier, OCD won’t let me cut in the market, but I need divine intervention. Sometimes I am tempted to...

Twoclans:

However I have grown very old and I hate cooking with a passion ,i really do not have anything against cutting vegetables in the market .Just wash with salt when you get home. lipsrsealed

Na me this old age dey affect pass. All my bones are weak. I just wanna rest mehn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Bodyodour: 7:51pm On Mar 20, 2021
Zzor:
leave here and go make money so your wife can give you good food.komot for kitchen jor with your strong body
you like talking rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by pozehnani(f): 12:54pm On Mar 21, 2021
I must confess that I have it cut in the market because I dislike cutting it myself with all the leaves sticking to my fingers. So, I prefer it done in the market then when I get home, I soak with plenty of water in a large bowl to enable the sand( if any) settle below while the leaves stay afloat. So it's easier to get out the dirts.

Lazyness is my major problem here because after doing the market runs, I don't like to come and start prepping those stuff myself as I would be so tired and fagged out to do anything.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by shilz(f): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2021
I like my vegetable very neat and tiny,they don't cut it to my taste at the market.

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by ediko5(m): 3:01pm On Mar 21, 2021
shilz:
I like my vegetable very neat and tiny,they don't cut it to my taste at the market.

Another reason I'll like to re-learn how to cut but............
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by cococandy(f): 11:49pm On Mar 21, 2021
Look at all that fresh ugu and waterleaf cry

5 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by cococandy(f): 11:50pm On Mar 21, 2021
1Sharon:
You're supposed to wash before cutting, if you cut before...you lose the nutrients
usually there should still be enough left to nourish the consumer

5 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by cococandy(f): 11:54pm On Mar 21, 2021
I think cutting at home is best. especially if the market environment is not to your liking (like if you feel they are kinda dirty ish or whatever). You know wink

But if you’ve been cutting in the market and you’re still alive, carry on. Something must kill a man. cool

11 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Teespice(f): 8:47am On Mar 22, 2021
cococandy:
Look at all that fresh ugu and waterleaf cry

Vegetable Soup with enough orishirishi comes to mind.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2021
No, I cut my vegetables (ugwu, water leaf) at home. the only one am guilty of is OKAZI .....it takes time and attention to cut
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Victoria938(f): 1:55am On Mar 24, 2021
No,i prefer to wash myself and cut it
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by powerhouse3(m): 7:57pm On Mar 25, 2021
it's was in Lagos that I know that people cut thier vegetable before the wash it......and I ask where's the nutrients that makes it vegetable...

...in other news..

.the way you are opening food story,just to show them how domesticated you are should be lesson to them girl.....find a black goat when the day is still bringth..

......but one day we go celebrate u ,as some still like them mature and that's luck...

Nairaland guys are like .. evening sun wey no fit dry cloth

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by pocohantas(f): 8:10pm On Mar 25, 2021
powerhouse3:
it's was in Lagos that I know that people cut thier vegetable before the wash it......and I ask where's the nutrients that makes it vegetable...

...in other news..
.the way you are opening food story,just to show them how domesticated you are should be lesson to them girl.....find a black goat when the day is still bringth..

......but one day we go celebrate u ,as some still like them mature and that's luck...Nairaland guys are like .. evening sun wey no fit dry cloth

Please stop flattering yourselves. I am so domesticated that I would waste my advertisement on Nairaland guys? As in, guys like you? What happened to all the ones I meet in reality?

The girls that are putting you guys on a long thing can’t boil water to save their lives. So I wonder why anyone would bother to do otherwise.

Focus on celebrating yourself o. My matter is beyond your understanding.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by lalasticlala(m): 12:56pm On Mar 26, 2021
I used to cut in the market while single but now, I can't remember the last time I went to the market. Wifey does the cutting at home. She said she CAN NEVER cut vegetables in the market.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Abigirlsuen: 1:32pm On Mar 26, 2021
hmmmm
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nackzy: 1:33pm On Mar 26, 2021
Yes ooo, i don't like stress,

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Thread Of Foods You Can Cook On Christmas Day / The Dangers Of Eating Canned Foods / Man Harassed By Mopol At Mega Chicken For Taking Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.