Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,526 members, 7,823,285 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? (29870 Views)

Shaki: What I Saw On The meat(towel) In The Market This Morning(picture) / As There Is No Meat In The Market, We Saw An Alternative / SHOCKING: The Costly Food Items I Bought In The Market Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2021
Are all the foods you eat cooked by you?

If you eat out, the people who cook the food you buy may have cut their hands when cooking too.
I remember I've cut my fingers on different occasions, when slicing vegetables in my kitchen...

My point is, na GOD dey protect us o!

iamyemiakins:
Some of these market vegetable sellers/cutters will have cuts on their hands during the process and the blood will start dripping on the vegetable.

Cut ur vegetables at home, wash before cutting and wash after cutting to get ur vegetables clean and devoid of dirts.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by majamajic(m): 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2021
Home after washing
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by AfonjaBoston: 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2021
Kebbiprince:

No poco, I cut them at home because is much healthier to do so at home

Healthier Lol
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by pocohantas(f): 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2021
Lawalemi:

I just love that you ring in my head as a very hygienic person. cheesy

I cannot and will never allow one Iya Oshogbo to cut my vegetables

I am more of paranoid, so it makes me come off as hygienic. Lol @ Iya Oshogbo. Some of them with hideous trays and knives.

valentineuwakwe:
no be new thing o, whether mentally or spiritually n.a. God dey save us all. have you not eaten in canteens or restaurant's before, do you know how they prepare there meals?
I still allow them cut for me n Nothing dey happen, even madam at time allow them too if chance to too dey...
you go market come they scream over cutting of ordinary ugwu? Abeg wake up oo!

Lol. I didn’t intend to “scream”, it was reflex. I was buying something from her neighbor and she asked the question. So I blurted it out without thinking...

Darkseid:
Abeg who dey eat food primary because of nutrient? I eat because I'm hungry, secondly because of the taste, nutrients come last. I can't cook well garnished egusi soup and because I washed off small green colour, the nutrient I was supposed to get will now be reduced by 80%.
Back to the topic, I can spend three to fours hours cooking and I enjoy it but cutting vegetables is the part that tires me the most. If it's just ₦100 or ₦200 vegetable, I can manage to cut it myself but when it comes to ₦400+ vegetables, fvck I'm getting it cut in the market grin grin, though I'll have to wash it for longer time.

Nice perspective. Do we really eat for nutrients here or taste? It is a lot of work when you have to cook edikan ikong soup with lots of vegetable and waterleaf.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 2:31pm On Mar 26, 2021
if I see way to even cook my food in the market I go do am self ... I hate stress who no like better thing ?

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by AfonjaBoston: 2:38pm On Mar 26, 2021
Viciheaka:

As a bachelor I allow them to cut but if I get married to Zzor she will cut it for me in the kitchen we will make good husband and wife sharing house chores together

I hope you are joking about that marriage thing.
Everybody for romance section done chop veejay
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 26, 2021
I just hate all those men contributing on this thread,one was even puting price of all types of vegetables, marry these type of men at your own peril they will be using ruler to measure yams and other things in the kitchen and will know the exact date and time each item should last.Akagum them full this thread

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by JastSiryin(m): 2:50pm On Mar 26, 2021
budaatum:

Cutting before washing opens up pores in the vegetable through which all the goodness will get washed away. You'd notice the water is greener when you wash cut vegetables than uncut vegetables. I like my goodness to remain in my food and my belle loves the labour of my hands.
So the ones that got away would've been the ones to nourish you completely abi?... Or do you think our food to nourishment/energy conversion is a 100%?
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by budaatum: 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2021
JastSiryin:
So the ones that got away would've been the ones to nourish you completely abi?... Or do you think our food to nourishment/energy conversion is a 100%?

Tell the truth. You just wanted to quote buda so it can be said you are intelligent and smart.

I mean, see as you make it sound like buda said just drink the dirty water and you'd be completely nourished and your energy conversion will be 100%.

I'll say it. You are very intelligent and very smart.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Organs(m): 2:59pm On Mar 26, 2021
Twoclans:
Truth be told I was trained by my mother to wash vegetables before cutting .It is actually the best and safest way of preparing vegetables.

However I have grown very old and I hate cooking with a passion ,i really do not have anything against cutting vegetables in the market .Just wash with salt when you get home. lipsrsealed

Agreed. My mum will wash first, cut, then wash with hot water in a bowl. I later learnt the hot water washes some of the nutrients away but that's who she was. She has to wash with that hot water and move the vegetables around in a circular motion while quickly scooping them up, a handful at a time. You will see sand debris at the base of the bowl when she is done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Sleekfingers: 3:00pm On Mar 26, 2021
pocohantas:
The question is straightforward.

Is there any risk to cutting in the market or cutting before washing?

It is best to cut it yourself.......pluck the vegetables, wash and slice.....never wash your vegetables after cutting it....
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by biafran1stson(m): 3:04pm On Mar 26, 2021
iamyemiakins:
Some of these market vegetable sellers/cutters will have cuts on their hands during the process and the blood will start dripping on the vegetable.

Cut ur vegetables at home, wash before cutting and wash after cutting to get ur vegetables clean and devoid of dirts.

By the time you are done with these your washing, half of the nutrients will be in the drain
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by JastSiryin(m): 3:11pm On Mar 26, 2021
budaatum:

Tell the truth. You just wanted to quote buda so it can be said you are intelligent and smart.

I mean, see as you make it sound like buda said just drink the dirty water and you'd be completely nourished and your energy conversion will be 100%.

I'll say it. You are very intelligent and very smart.
hehe... Thank you very much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Mandela27: 3:17pm On Mar 26, 2021
no I'll cut it myself...some market women are so derrie !
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by asunnu(f): 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2021
I use to cut in the market until the lady cut her hand and blood was on the vegetable.. She removed the blood part but the sight and thought of it made me throw the vegetable away.... No matter how plenty the vegetable is, I take it home wash and cut it my self.. Though its tidious especially because of I really do not have a choice.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Claribaba(m): 3:26pm On Mar 26, 2021
Good observation
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by winner37(m): 3:26pm On Mar 26, 2021
that will be the last thing I will in market..
when I was working as a chief to one man , one weekend his girlfriend came an the man decided for me no to Cook for that weekend so the girl and I went to market to buy stuff. we bought everything getting buy the ugu the girl Said the seller should cut there I stand as a pharoh for the woman not to cut it , the girl asked me who will cut when we get home I smile and reply I will do it.. paused here.
we get home , straight to the kitchen get things done , I did all the cookies she was just looking at me .

at the end you Know what she told me ?
she said. " you are perfect man , hard working , I wish to have someone like you as husband.."
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by BigMamaNaija: 3:28pm On Mar 26, 2021
Depends on
1. The quantity you're buying
2. If you're a stay at home mum
3. If you have help

You see those bundles on the first pic, if that's the quantity your family needs and you don't have help at home, good luck with all the grammar of 'picking' bla bla bla and cutting by yourself.

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Claribaba(m): 3:29pm On Mar 26, 2021
Yes I used to do that before in the market, but I latter change the method to be cutting it myself at home due to some observation like this I made in the market.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2021
pozehnani:
I must confess that I have it cut in the market because I dislike cutting it myself with all the leaves sticking to my fingers. So, I prefer it done in the market then when I get home, I soak with plenty of water in a large bowl to enable the sand( if any) settle below while the leaves stay afloat. So it's easier to get out the dirts.

Lazyness is my major problem here because after doing the market runs, I don't like to come and start prepping those stuff myself as I would be so tired and fagged out to do anything.
should I come and be cooking for you.i am a good cook. Olou
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2021
pozehnani:
I must confess that I have it cut in the market because I dislike cutting it myself with all the leaves sticking to my fingers. So, I prefer it done in the market then when I get home, I soak with plenty of water in a large bowl to enable the sand( if any) settle below while the leaves stay afloat. So it's easier to get out the dirts.

Lazyness is my major problem here because after doing the market runs, I don't like to come and start prepping those stuff myself as I would be so tired and fagged out to do anything.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by abefeb1(m): 3:32pm On Mar 26, 2021
The best thing is to wash it first before cutting it, be it at home or at market but many prefer to cut it first before washing it and with this method the greenish water which is the nutrient would have been washed away. You may try it.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by dorin27(f): 3:34pm On Mar 26, 2021
vicky6:
No, I cut my vegetables (ugwu, water leaf) at home. the only one am guilty of is OKAZI .....it takes time and attention to cut
this is so me grin
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Crunchyg3: 3:40pm On Mar 26, 2021
dorin27:
this is so me grin
are you the one on you profile?
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by GrandFinale2021(m): 3:42pm On Mar 26, 2021
pocohantas:

you too like food, na food go see you undecided
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by pozehnani(f): 3:43pm On Mar 26, 2021
Sijo01:

I believe you noticed change of colour on the water to green........ You just washed the better part of the nutrient away.

Not everything is being washed away.
What about the parts that is not cut?
acesboy:
should I come and be cooking for you.i am a good cook. Olou

Nobody cooks to my satisfaction. I'm a caterer so, I hardly let people handle my cooking but you can help out the preparation.grin.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by Bahamas95(m): 3:44pm On Mar 26, 2021
I am a very good cook but when it comes to cutting of vegetables the thing dey tire me.....I allow the seller do the cutting but I make sure I wash it very well before using.
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by lexxynet2(m): 3:48pm On Mar 26, 2021
Kindly try and do it at home.
pocohantas:

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by dorin27(f): 3:54pm On Mar 26, 2021
Crunchyg3:

are you the one on you profile?
Let me act the Nigerian I am, by replying your question with another question. grin

Why do you want to know?
Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by ImaIma1(f): 4:13pm On Mar 26, 2021
Zzor:
Cutting them at home is the best

Cutting at home or in the market are both ok. I prefer they cut in the market. No extra time to waste cutting vegetables, periwinkles, etc. Time I can use to achieve mamy things.

1 Like

Re: Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? by ImaIma1(f): 4:14pm On Mar 26, 2021
Zzor:
Cutting them at home is the best

Cutting at home or in the market are both ok. I prefer they cut in the market. No extra time to waste cutting vegetables, periwinkles, etc. Time I can use to achieve mamy things

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Thread Of Foods You Can Cook On Christmas Day / The Dangers Of Eating Canned Foods / Man Harassed By Mopol At Mega Chicken For Taking Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.