Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road (34189 Views)

Asaba To Maiduguri Via Abuja By Road (live Update). / Road Trip!!!!!!!! Lagos To Umuahia / Beautiful Drone Shots Of Maitama, Abuja By Nora Awolowo, A Female Drone Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Solatium(m): 12:20pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling, Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative.

I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem outdated so I’m looking for an update.

I plan on leaving Thursday morning 5am, Im driving 2012 Honda Accord coupe. My questions would be:

1. First time driving such long distance, is it advisable? I’m not such a tough chap but I’m sure I can manage

2. How safe is the trip? With the kidnapping trend going on.

3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat (catalytic converter)

4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet.

5. How accurate is google maps? It estimates 12hrs through Ibadan and 14hrs through illorin.

Aside from the above any other advice or assistance would be welcomed.

if Fúlàní gbab you your family no go forgive you by the time they are looking for ransom

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by yeman1(m): 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2021
When I wanted to text , I realized it was on far March and we r now in September. Tell us how far did u eventually travel by road ??
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by tonyson010(m): 12:31pm On Sep 18, 2021
10mobile:

This was in March. What was your experience like eventually?

I wonder if the admin that brought it to front page is already enjoying the weekend cruise this early.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by oladipuposadeeq(m): 12:34pm On Sep 18, 2021
chronos00:

Yep, this right here.

If you don't get to Lokoja by 5pm, just prepare to either get to Abuja by midnight, or spend the night in Lokoja. The Gwagwalada construction sef would not be such an obstacle, but that Lokoja one is just crazy.
I remember the last time I delivered a car to a client in abuja and got to lokoja after 7pm thats the day I know experience really matters when it comes to that route me driving an 08 Sequioa a guy going to kaduna driving a 2012 evil spirit and another guy driving a corolla to jos we were clocking at least 80km if road bad and as high as 140-150km on that road. There are drivers and there are divers. God bless our hustle cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by JennyOfOldstones(f): 12:36pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

Thanks for the response, took a trip with Gigm last month to gauge how the route presently is to and fro, almost changed my mind about making the trip in December, concerned about lost time on those curves and turns at ?Ekiti-kabba, plus the okene to lokoja stretch is quite bad so I'm thinking a 3-4hr slowdown? Previously made late night trips up north, Jos- Abuja, Abuja-Minna so i could handle driving late into the night, not so sure i want to risk it right now with the present security challenges? Madam has also sworn to never travel by road after our last trip so i"m pretty much alone, Plan on breaking at lokoja and finishing the next day.
What would you advise?
Since you're planning to return to Abuja in December, Please take a flight trip with your wife this time around. The roads are especially unsafe during that time of the year and kidnappers are likely to be more active since they believe that potential victims tend to have more money at their disposal during the Christmas period

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Curious345: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos

My brother, just get a bullet proof car and enjoy the countryside, 247.

I drive a BP Lexus 570. I set off at night on lonely roads no shaking

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Ashirioluwa: 12:42pm On Sep 18, 2021
In this Buhari’s regime and the general situation in Nigeria right now is not advisable to take sure a risk. Road trips not enjoyable anymore because of kidnappers

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by id4sho(m): 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2021
oladipuposadeeq:
I remember the last time I delivered a car to a client in abuja and got to lokoja after 7pm thats the day I know experience really matters when it comes to that route me driving an 08 Sequioa a guy going to kaduna driving a 2012 evil spirit and another guy driving a corolla to jos we were clocking at least 80km if road bad and as high as 140-150km on that road. There are drivers and there are divers. God bless out hustle cool
Boss, in course of your delivery round the country. Have you ran into robbery operations/bad guys cus I know you and security go dey settle beef steady because of bribes?
How has been the experience?

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by PrimadonnaO(f): 12:49pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

Thank you sir, the trip was last minute, the topic just came up last night and all the flight deals I’ve seen are a little expensive. Can’t fly air peace so it’s just arik. That roughly 80k plus minus hotel and other expenses, fueling would cost a little over 30k both ways. I’m worried about safety tho, with madam in the car I’m not sure I’d want to take the risk undecided

Road trips are super fun with the besties or with the love of your life!!! kiss

Just cover the road with the blood of Jesus!!

I also hope she can drive so you can alternate no matter how briefly.

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by BigCowH0rn: 12:52pm On Sep 18, 2021
Made that trip in January. This is what i did precisely

I went to a large motor park in Lagos and asked for the first bus going to Abuja. I had a word with the driver... "Guy, i no know road so i need to follow you for nyash all the way". Na so money and phone number exchange hands

When the bus left the park my Lexus Jeep fall into place behind it. I stayed with him all the way to Abuja.

The only problem was that I drive really fast but had to come down to the speed of the bus for a whole day.
Very irritating at times.

Note.
You gotta tell him you are following or he will mistake you for criminals trying to waylay his bus cos he will see you behind him all the time, throughout the long journey. Even an idiot will be suspicious.
A call to his bosses and you can get cornered by security operatives and shot at. No questions asked.

9 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by NamelessOGBENI(m): 12:54pm On Sep 18, 2021
aieromon:

Lagos to Abuja via Enugu?

Is this a joke

E shock me too o
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by obiekunie01: 12:54pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

Hello, fuel consumption isn’t really a problem, don’t measure the the mpg but I do ikeja to vi five days a week, Saturday drives and church in lekki all on a full tank, AC always on and won’t have to refill till Sunday evening, didn’t do the catalyst because I love the growl my exhaust makes

he! he! he!

mad man! grin

i thought i was the only one tht loves that engine growl!

it gives me the shivers! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by micflo28(m): 12:56pm On Sep 18, 2021
I advise you go with someone who is familiar with the roads so as to guide you on how avoid bad portions of the road.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by MondayOsunbor(m): 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling, Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative.

I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem outdated so I’m looking for an update.

I plan on leaving Thursday morning 5am, Im driving 2012 Honda Accord coupe. My questions would be:

1. First time driving such long distance, is it advisable? I’m not such a tough chap but I’m sure I can manage

3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat (catalytic converter)

4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet.

5. How accurate is google maps? It estimates 12hrs through Ibadan and 14hrs through illorin.

hope you keep 400 million in the bank for bandits in the west ,fulani herdermen at abaji ,boko harams,iswap
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by pocohantas(f): 1:09pm On Sep 18, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Road trips are super fun with the besties or with the love of your life!!! kiss

Just cover the road with the blood of Jesus!!

I also hope she can drive so you can alternate no matter how briefly.

Lol. You just reminded me of a colleague that said he can’t date a lady that can’t drive. grin

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by oladipuposadeeq(m): 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2021
AlhajiBitcoin:

grin

What of Lagos to Enugu, is it 2 hours ?
why are you like this now grin
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by oladipuposadeeq(m): 1:12pm On Sep 18, 2021
gbagyiza:
Please, in your next trip for security reasons don't disclose the date n the mode of your movement in public space bc you can't trust anybody for now. Always seek for information in more logical way.
exactly
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by oladipuposadeeq(m): 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:

Heard about the prison break at Kabba, but killing of force men?! nah.
yeah its true, they killed 2 soldiers and 4 police officers and kidnapped 2 prison officials.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Lance7621: 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2021
ibullem:

It was quite smooth.

Used one full tank to Lokoja and did a top up there before heading into Abuja.

We left Lagos at 4:30am and arrived Abuja at about 5pm thereabout.

We took Lagos - Ibadan - Ife - Owo - Obajana - Lokoja - Abuja route. We were 3 drivers changing hands and using Google maps.

Had to download the offline maps of all states between Lagos and Abuja, so I did Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Kogi and Abuja maps, so it was seamless even when we got to stretches without network connection.

Lots of police presence on the road though, we were fortunate to attach ourselves to a military convoy from Ife to Obajana, so that helped us through most of the police stops, as we were trailing them bumperto bumper. It was one of the most exhilarating journey I've taken so far. And safely got to Abuja. It was my first time driving interstate, and the road stretch from Abaji to Abuja city was a marvel, super smooth road. My car did things I never imagined, even switch to a manual gear at some point, Lol.

LoL what do you do mean by switch to manual gear? I am curious to learn.

Though vehicle moving on long distance makes engine and transmission system perform better
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by joinnow: 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

Sleep well night b4 d trip
Don't eat heavy food like egusi and fufu.
I prefer Sprite and suya only.
Budget to buy two full tank of fuel. One at Lagos and the second at okene.
Also make provision for hotel since it's your first time 11hours trip.
When buying fuel only buy where you see many buses buying from the petrol station.
Hope you have your favorite songs and your girlfriend favorite song in USB to plug into car audio that can last for 12 straight hours.

6 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by phemmyflexxy(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

I did Ibadan to Kaduna sometime in April using strictly Google map. Left ibadan at exactly 7:30am, I got to Abuja 5pm and arrive Kaduna at exactly 7pm. I only stop for 15mins somewhere in ekiti and another 15mins at lokoja.
90% of the road is good, with Google map/navigator I escaped most of the gridlocks except for the one at gwagwalada.
I'm a fearless and daring person. I didn't meet any kidnapper or hoodlum on the way.
My Kaduna to Ibadan trip is the sweeter story.
75 - 80litres fuel should take you from Lagos to Abuja.
If you are an adventure lover... Hit the road bro... Be safe.

Less I forget, I don't give tips or bribe. Make sure your licence and particulars are intact. Fire extinguisher, hydraulic, razor blade, etc. Road safety and vio may want to delay you unnecessarily if you are like me (no bribe/tip policy). My usual line at any checkpoint is "Morning, how is the work? Weldone" (with a straight or slightly smiley face) and I zoom off.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by mema900: 1:21pm On Sep 18, 2021
Kingdemu:
Do it man. Life is all about adventure.

Not in Nigeria
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 18, 2021
I can't do road trips in present day Naija, na to fly sure pass to avoid stories that touch the heart.
I won't allow road trips for anyone in my family.
Our roads are not safe; bad roads, criminal policemen, kidnappers... Just take your pick.
I wish you safe journey.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Amilli(m): 1:36pm On Sep 18, 2021
Just book Godisgood bus to Abuja, save yourself and madam the stress .. There is bolt/Uber in Abuja bro
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by sakbio(m): 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2021
Bros, Nigeria road is not safe for now, if u can afford by air, it is better but travel by road with ur car it is not safe at all. If it is must u should travel and u can't afford by air, go through with registered and commercial operator.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by gagadey(m): 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2021
Bros borrow money take flight. Its not worth the risk trust me.
But if las las u stubborn follow road, I wish u a safe trip. Sha give us update
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by oladipuposadeeq(m): 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2021
id4sho:

Boss, in course of your delivery round the country. Have you ran into robbery operations/bad guys cus I know you and security go dey settle beef steady because of bribes?
How has been the experience?
boss this is the worst one i have had. I was robbed along patani road in 2017 when I was on my way to PH around 2am, I was on my way to deliver a 2011 corolla sports because the duty was compromised so i didn't want to leave during the day because of customs palava. The robbers were robbing 2 luxurious buses when I got to the point and felt maybe its another checkpoint then the road wasn't good. B4 I discovered what was happening it was too late so I just removed that plastic under the ignition and disconnected some wires, chia it was a big mistake but at least helped me. I was beaten blue and black by them but luckily a rx350 toks appeared from no where and they faced the car robbed the driver collected the car and shot at my car but by then I ran into the bush by the side of the road. It was after they left we discovered they killed 2 people in one of the luxurious buses and it was after they left i started replaying what happened in my head i was beaten blue and black by a female member of the gang and i will be forming hulk hogan. It wasn't a good experience at all since then if I am travelling to a long distance 6am latest I don comot except on very few occasions.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by FrenchyL(m): 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2021
CaptainAyub:
Flights are as cheap as 23,300naira currently if you book ahead,maybe 2 weeks earlier.
Why risk a road trip with all the wahala from Buhari's fulani brothers, bad roads,stress of driving etc?

My brother fly please! Some things can be avoided. Just my honest advise
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by PIMPAR: 1:58pm On Sep 18, 2021
aieromon:

When was the last time you plied the highway?
He's only relying on the beer parlour gist he hears on Nairaland. He probably might have not left his place of residence to another state in the last 10 yrs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Final year UNN student crushed to death while returning from class / Zungeru Access Road Completed In Niger State / Is It Possible To Board A Plane With This Condition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.