Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,734 members, 7,831,337 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? (30547 Views)

Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? / BUA Group Signs Technology Deal With France's Axens For A Refinery In Akwa Ibom / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by shiffynaani(m): 9:52pm On Mar 21, 2021
I'm very appalled by the reported refinery.

Healthy, clean environment is sacrosanct to me any day anytime

Useless government that won't even bother to care for environmental degradation

It's a pity

5 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Daddysidhan: 9:53pm On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:
Let me quote

Pansophist

Daddytime

Franchasng

Aconomist

I'd love to hear your perspectives in this issue gentlemen
calling your fellow anti Western Nigerian ass-holes to come and share their one sided views on a win win investment for Lagos and lagosians as a whole.

6 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by LoveJesus87(m): 9:53pm On Mar 21, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

I also worry that what's happening in Port Harcort with the black sooth might start happening in lagos too.
you mean the air at Port Harcourt is polluted with black sooth?
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by AnanseK(m): 9:54pm On Mar 21, 2021
I’m sure they did a feasibility study. Anyway if he sited the refinery In Calabar, Warri or even Port Harcourt people will still talk. I will not even mention Kano or Kaduna . ( before you say anything about Kano or Kaduna remember that Nigeria’s crude oil right now is transported transported to refineries outside the country , some of the countries thousands of miles away to refined an d returned to Nigeria as Import.)

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by sukieboy(f): 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2021
Draslo:

They spent millions in research to answer these your questions.

You were only told they did. Research is what is currently happening in ogoni land. An average Nigeria is myopic and greedy. OBJ sold PH refineries to dangote and co, Yardua cancelled it, dangote dashed to Lagos, sandfill and started building his mega refinery with fertilizer plants. Sandfills are porous and the waste will sip back into the sea. Can we clean the sea when we can't clean ogoni ? Hahahaha Yoruba people go join SS cries but they won't get 13%. We you do yourself thinking you are doing others.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by matrixme(m): 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

That's what they fail to pay attention to. Greed and the lust of wanting to overtake everyone is blinding eyes to reality

My family stay close to the area. I've told them all to run. And vacate the territory that the money people would generate would be used in treating cancer and all. I was around Ajah before.

From the hold up to the unhealthy air, I calculated the completion time of the refinery and made sure I ran as far as possible to a complete far place from that entire axis.

Before the refinery, Lagos has a highly toxic air. Now to add to it, what would be the resultant cumulative environmental impact on living, air, the Atlantic ocean, traffic etc.

Nigerians and greed are 5 and 6. Thats why Nigerians only look at Pros without looking at Cons. I ain't buying a single foot of land in that terrain. Lai lai
You're being myopic. Please If you guys want to sell your property, let me know. A refinery being built in the 21st century isn't going to be like the existing ones in Port Harcourt that they now need trillions to maintain.
There are now equipments that capture smoke and toxins and release almost harmless gases as exhaust. I'm sure Dangote would spare no expense in this critical project.
Real estate in the vicinity of the refinery is going to be the real hot cake in some few years.
Oh and Op, Lagos has the market already. It's the first thing to succeed in business. Build where the market is. And you forgot the deep seaport in view, acess to global market. What else do you want again?

15 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SenecaTheYonger: 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2021
LoveJesus87:
you mean the air at Port Harcourt is polluted with black sooth?

Yeah, several many people that live there complained about how black thier foot get after a while from walking barefooted at home and how when they clean their inner nostrils, the handkerchiefs are stained with black sooth.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by sulaak(m): 9:58pm On Mar 21, 2021
ngoremeka:
LAGOSIANS IS REFINERY GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU SINCE IT IS LOCATED IN LAGOS?

Why I ask is because, in my own opinion, what is happening in oil rich areas might happen in Lagos. Things like air pollution land pollution especially oil spills, which will reduce the value of land in those area. I don't think people will be able to go to the beach to relax anymore! You see we should be thinking of the future and not "I wan chop am now now" mentality and that is why I say is it GOOD OR BAD? SHARE YOUR OPINION

Not just air pollution but excessive heavy duty traffic in Lekki, similar to the chaos in Apapa. The town planner that located the Lekki FTZ and Dangote refinery without a railway line needs his head examined.

4 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by AMBURSAA(m): 9:58pm On Mar 21, 2021
BY YOUR NAME(EMEKA) YOU FINISHED THE STORY .

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Faithful1234(m): 10:00pm On Mar 21, 2021
ask buhari
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 10:00pm On Mar 21, 2021
Daddysidhan:
calling your fellow anti Western Nigerian ass-holes to come and share their one sided views on a win win investment for Lagos and lagosians as a whole.

Atypical.

Get lost

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SmartPolician: 10:00pm On Mar 21, 2021
motherlode:

Last time i checked, Nigeria is the 6th largest gas flaring country in the world and the 2nd largest in Africa. In 2016, a 2020 target was set to achieve zero gas flaring by the then minister of state for petroleum (Ibe Kachukwu)... This is 2021, gas is still being flared heavily and rumour says there is another push for 2030!

We will get there someday!

It is far much cheaper to flare gas in Nigeria and pay the fine than deploy the technology that stops it completely. In offshore oil exploration, drilling companies are expected to pipe it to NLNG, but most of them don't do that because of the cost implications.

They'd rather flare the gas and pay the fine. Nigerian government is well aware that's why they don't mandate those oil companies to stop gas flaring.

As for the refineries, the benefits outweigh the downsides. People who live along the axes will have to bear it - after all, Nigerians still live in Eleme and other refinery locations in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 10:01pm On Mar 21, 2021
matrixme:

You're being myopic. Please If you guys want to sell your property, let me know. A refinery being built in the 21st century isn't going to be like the existing ones in Port Harcourt that they now need trillions to maintain.
There are now equipments that capture smoke and toxins and release almost harmless gases as exhaust. I'm sure Dangote would spare no expense in this critical project.
Real estate in the vicinity of the refinery is going to be the real hot cake in some few years.
Oh and Op, Lagos has the market already. It's the first thing to succeed in business. Build where the market is. And you forgot the deep seaport in view, acess to global market. What else do you want again?

Didn't you see where I mentioned this as part of modern day design schematic and said I could be wrong?
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 21, 2021
Standing5:
Before vibrating around, go and study the Warri refinery environment and the Kaduna own too. Houses are all over the place and I wonder where you guys get these crazy ideas from.

Pls just get educated about this issue.

People who live around any medium and heavy industrial infrastructures are risking their lives.

Go and see lafarge cement plant along lagos abeokuta express way...the people living around those areas are not in good health condition, the air there is polluted talkless of a refinery and a petrol chemical plants that produces fertilizer which can also be used to make bombs.

Dont ever buy any land near any refinery, that is a bad investment

10 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by sulaak(m): 10:02pm On Mar 21, 2021
matrixme:

Oh and Op, Lagos has the market already. It's the first thing to succeed in business. Build where the market is.

How will you get the refined products into the interior, remember that the refinery has no railway line. I will going to see another Apapa in Lekki, note that Dangote refinery is close to the Lekki FTZ
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 10:02pm On Mar 21, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

People who live around any medium and heavy industries infrastructures are risking their lives.

Go and see lafarge cement plant along lagos abeokuta express way...the people living around those areas are not in good health condition, the air there is polluted talkless of a refinery and a petrol chemical plants that produces fertilizer which can also be used to make bombs.

God bless. You. O

Ordinary Ewekoro after ifo was a nightmare a decade ago I stayed in the region. Everywhere, houses, roads everywhere was covered with limestone dust despite it being LaFarge a moder ers industry. When people talk, they quickly bring in bigotry into it
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by gnykelly(m): 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2021
you guys are just blasting heavy ignorance.
do you think EIA was not done before approvals.
this thing is Faraway from people.

you guys are assuming you know better while you parrot ignorance

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2021
matrixme:

Lot of grammar.

Who in his right sense wants to live near a refinery or a petrol chemical plant.

Real estate around that area will be devalued because of pollution.

Go and ask those that bought lands around lafarge cement factory in lagos abeokuta road, if they can live there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BRATISLAVA: 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aconomist:

Dangote chose the perfect location for his refinery because Lagos is the only functional state government in Nigeria. He had originally planned to locate in it Oyo, but the fools over there frustrated him. By choosing the Lekki free trade zone, he doesn't have to worry about the land use problems that face other parts of the country.

In terms of safety and pollution, refineries are only dangerous to people living within a 30 mile radius, and Dangote's site is roughly 40 miles away from mainland Lagos. Obviously, the people who live in Lekki will face much more risk. But it can't be much more dangerous than their dirty gasoline fumes you inhale every day. Dangote's refinery will also be made to a Euro V standard which will minimize some of the health risks.

Obviously, even with this, a project like this would never be allowed in a modern country. But welcome to Nigeria.

Repeat the bolded to yourself aloud.

Do you know what fractionation means? Have you seen the gases released? You want to compare that to gasoline fumes? Even a beer refinery/brewery, what does it do? Now, imagine it's hydrocarbons being refined in there.

In the next 1—15 fifteen years, repeat that bolded aloud again.

The only thing of interest in his refinery will be the process involved. Good luck to anyone living around it. Dangite won't be the one living there.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by iddonla: 10:05pm On Mar 21, 2021
OjukuwuHusband:
grin grin grin grin emeka from abia is worried about the air quality in lagos and the south west meanwhile abia is having the title of the dirtiest and polluted air in the world..............flatin0s won't stop to amaze me with their envy and gbegborun. *spits

but why are you people like this...I am a lagosian and i think the OP has a point..

most of you guys are actually masquerading as southerners to further create discord between southerners

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Standing5(m): 10:06pm On Mar 21, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

People who live around any medium and heavy industries infrastructures are risking their lives.

Before Dangote, there was Warri, PH and Kaduna own. Go to refinery area Warri and investigate properly. Go to PH too and ask. Go to Kaduna and ask well. The land on which the refinery in Lekki is situated is bigger than Ikeja. It is not a road side refinery. Above all, people will live and work almost around the clock inside the refinery. Stop being half smart.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Kccheechy(m): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2021
Oga, what they are doing there is refining the oil not drilling oil... There would not be problem of oil spillage because I'm surprised you are talking about water pollution at the beach

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by sukieboy(f): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2021
Iamdemola1:

You have spoken quite well but I want to allay your fears a little.
1. The refinery has a massive design and it's also a Petrochemical company. In other words, the refinery also has a Petrochemical plant that ensures all parts of crude is used in producing other substances so no disposal of crude waste as such

2. There are cooling towers for extracting heat and recycling it for usage. No spillage or very minimal spillage of heat

Na English and latent greed go kee Yoruba people. Do you know that almost everything produced in the petrochem train is poisonous? The best would have been up close to Ondo and Edo state. You can be stupid to say liquid cannot spilt, it will ofcourse, the question is containing it's spread. Anyway, when you guys see the environmental issues and banks start leaving Lagos for Ibadan you will be the same fellow that would claim you never supported it.

I have seen as almost everyone in Lagos denied voting for Buhari in 2015 because the sai Baba project failed. Buhari did not die , so they are ashamed and secretly angry that he refused to die like Yardua. Same way the will deny all the so called research on this and that.

Lagos is not a good site but dangote wanted it so he can get the deepest port in West Africa and he has got it without you guys knowing. 36feet of dredge. After Una go say Hausa be mumu. Who come mumu pass ?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by sulaak(m): 10:08pm On Mar 21, 2021
Judolisco:
Na so my people go build refinery for kaduna... Dangote refinery should have been built in ondo state

It would have been built in Olokola Free Trade Zone in Ondo State , if the then Ondo governor wasn't greedy and stupid. Fashola gave Dangote free land and encouragement.

6 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 21, 2021
sukieboy:

You were only told they did. Research is what is currently happening in ogoni land. An average Nigeria is myopic and greedy. OBJ sold PH refineries to dangote and co, Yardua cancelled it, dangote dashed to Lagos, sandfill and started building his mega refinery with fertilizer plants. Sandfills are porous and the waste will sip back into the sea. Can we clean the sea when we can't clean ogoni ? Hahahaha Yoruba people go join SS cries but they won't get 13%. We you do yourself thinking you are doing others.

what's happening in ogoni is due to largely oil bunkering with the boys in the creeks, plus this is purely refining and not crude exploration, the waste from the fertilizer plant can be treated...........with all your 13% you lack good leadership and a stable environment to thrive, if it's not your youths kidnapping oil workers, it's your traditional leaders pocking community funds, if it's not that it's your governors like ibori, alamieyeseigha and igbenedion looting the state heavily and passionately.........you simply can't give what you don't have even if you're given all the resources....i know some of your community leaders and ex militants earning atleast #5miliion each monthly from the government living large in lagos but their communities are a living hell.

14 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 10:09pm On Mar 21, 2021
OjukuwuHusband:

the only thing in biafra is erosion red earth..........cry all day.
your parents!!!
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

God bless. You. O

Ordinary Ewekoro after ifo was a nightmare a decade ago I stayed in the region. Everywhere, houses, roads everywhere was covered with limestone dust despite it being LaFarge a moder ers industry. When people talk, they quickly bring in bigotry into it

The area is nothing to write home about, even cows dont eat anything there talkless of human beings.

Most shops are empty, lands there are unsellable.

Pollution and real estate does not go hand in hand.

In my opinion, the entire lekki is ruined.

3 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BRATISLAVA: 10:10pm On Mar 21, 2021
gnykelly:
you guys are just blasting heavy ignorance.

do you think EIA was not done before approvals.

this thing is Faraway from people.

you guys are assuming you know better while you parrot ignorance

Isn't it funny that despite all the EIAs done, refineries continue to pollute and change the world irreparably? If you believe a report from people who want to make money by all means, you will believe anything.

He wouldn't be the first to lie, and they wouldn't be the first to approve lies knowingly.

9 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by LoveJesus87(m): 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

Yeah, several many people that live there complained about how black thier foot get after a while from walking barefooted at home and how when they clean their inner nostrils, the handkerchiefs are stained with black sooth.
Ah! Omo na cancer and co dey load for them so o shocked
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by matrixme(m): 10:12pm On Mar 21, 2021
sulaak:

How will you get the refined products into the interior, remember that the refinery has no railway line. I will going to see another Apapa in Lekki, note that Dangote refinery is close to the Lekki FTZ
Have you forgotten that the fourth mainland bridge that will link Lekki with Ikorodu is being planned? Ikorodu is going to share in the prosperity of Lagos through this project
And of course, straight to Ibadan, where the dry port would have been operational.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 10:13pm On Mar 21, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

The area is nothing to write home about, even cows dont eat anything there talkless of human beings.

Most shops are empty, lands there are unsellable.

Pollution and real estate does not go hand in hand.

In my opinion, the entire lekki is ruined.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Cause people think say day in day out the heat from the while process is a joke.

650,000 barrels a day

I'm extremely bothered about the heat first of all. Na that one touch me part.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and see what the implications will be. To me, personally, I believe even citing it in Kaduna or anywhere would have the same effect. This is modern era and things are done differently. Rather than the single heavy impact one location refinery, I would have opted for the decentralised block chain version, where one with 150,000 capacity is in Lagos, another in Ijebu, another in Ondo. Etc that way, the cumulative effect t would hit a single area massively

When it comes to analysis on this scale, let's not look down on ourselves my brother. The brains behind this didn't consider anything beyond profit making for this project.

8 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 10:14pm On Mar 21, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Isn't it funny that despite all the EIAs done, refineries continue to pollute and change the world irreparably? If you believe a report from people who want to make money by all means, you will believe anything.

He wouldn't be the first to lie, and they wouldn't be the first to approve.

God bless you

They say it's far away. Does Physics not teach that heat is carried and distributed by wind?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Can I Start Filling Gas Plant Business? Please Who Can Help? / Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) / Blogger Seun Oloketuyi Arrested For False Publications About Bank CEOs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.