Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? (30475 Views)

Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? / BUA Group Signs Technology Deal With France's Axens For A Refinery In Akwa Ibom / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Abudu2000(m): 6:17am On Mar 22, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Lot of grammar.

Who in his right sense wants to live near a refinery or a petrol chemical plant.

Real estate around that area will be devalued because of pollution.

Go and ask those that bought lands around lafarge cement factory in lagos abeokuta road, if they can live there.
if something as small as a GSM mast can devalue the lands around it then how much more a refinery.however sometimes what the govt do id weigh the pros and cons. Fertilizers are not too good for human health fine but with the increasing world population how can we cope without it? Same it this here, the refinery with definitely boost the economy so if a few black clouds and some fishes going belly up will be the sacrifice then so be it

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Abudu2000(m): 6:19am On Mar 22, 2021
Kccheechy:
Oga, what they are doing there is refining the oil not drilling oil... There would not be problem of oil spillage because I'm surprised you are talking about water pollution at the beach
doesn't matter fam, there's still going to be waste products to be removed as production goes on
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 6:21am On Mar 22, 2021
seunny4lif:

Are you High? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Russia gas is closing to them and even Libya is closer to Italy than Nigeria.
Do you know how much NS2 has cost Russia, France, and Germany so far talkless of a pipeline from Nigeria to the EU?
NS2 is around 1000KM and its already cost billions of dollars
Algeria and Libya have massive oil.
Please stop all these beer parlor news

When you don't study wide how will you understand

Go to Google and dig you'll find your answers there if I speak any deceit

I leave you in peace

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Abudu2000(m): 6:21am On Mar 22, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

The area is nothing to write home about, even cows dont eat anything there talkless of human beings.

Most shops are empty, lands there are unsellable.

Pollution and real estate does not go hand in hand.

In my opinion, the entire lekki is ruined.
an employee will have no problem paying 5m per annum to live and work there tho, your conclusion isn't accurate.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 6:26am On Mar 22, 2021
CaptainFM1:
They must have done the Environmental Impact Assessment / Analysis with the state government. And I'm sure there will be quite robust risk mitigation / control measures in place for all foreseeable hazards.

You are quite wrong in your general conclusion that industries are cited in the forest. Whilst it could be a very good practice in reducing the effect of a "major top-event", Risk management in the business world is all about bringing the risk to ALARP/ALARA (As Low As Reasonably Practicable /or Achievable). Both of which is a function of cost/projected revenue.

Ever wonder why airports are cited in the cities?
With all the noise pollution, with the risk of plane dropping/ditching on you while you are sleeping?
Why city? Why not in the forest? This is what risk management is all about. You go into the business despite the risk and you CONTINUOUSLY and PROACTIVELY manage the risk.

So, they look at the POTENTIAL and the FREQUENCY of the risk then put adequate controlling/safety MEASURES in place.

Potential: Can a plane drop on your roof? Answer is Yes.
Frequency: How often does a plane drop down unto people's roof? Maybe 1-in every 50,000 flights, or once in 10years.
Measures: Pilots are re-trained, technologies are improved, Planes are regularly serviced and Inspected. etc.

Is the risk brought to ALARP with all the measures in place?....hmmm. Maybe the frequency has improved to 1 in 75,000flights or 1 in 15years. So considering the money to be made have we managed the risk well.... Certainly it has improved.

In conclusion, no business is risk free. You only manage the risks. And if you think you have totally eliminated all risks...how about the "act of God, natural disasters et al..... (Earthquakes, volcano eruption, flooding, tsunamis etc)

2 refineries that follows the ranks of Dangote are earmarked to be situated in forests.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by seunny4lif(m): 6:36am On Mar 22, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin
Pele ooooh
Pipeline from Nigeria to Europe when Russia, Norway and Isreal oil and gas are cheap and will cost less cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
BlueSparks:

When you don't study wide how will you understand

Go to Google and dig you'll find your answers there if I speak any deceit

I leave you in peace
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Abudu2000(m): 6:39am On Mar 22, 2021
BlueSparks:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Cause people think say day in day out the heat from the while process is a joke.

650,000 barrels a day

I'm extremely bothered about the heat first of all. Na that one touch me part.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and see what the implications will be. To me, personally, I believe even citing it in Kaduna or anywhere would have the same effect. This is modern era and things are done differently. Rather than the single heavy impact one location refinery, I would have opted for the decentralised block chain version, where one with 150,000 capacity is in Lagos, another in Ijebu, another in Ondo. Etc that way, the cumulative effect t would hit a single area massively

When it comes to analysis on this scale, let's not look down on ourselves my brother. The brains behind this didn't consider anything beyond profit making for this project.
u sounded like a patriotic yoruba man but not a lagosian lol. All of it being sited at lag is ur problem not the pollution. I suggest u better get used to it being in lagos man grin
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Olatara(f): 6:39am On Mar 22, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

Yeah, several many people that live there complained about how black thier foot get after a while from walking barefooted at home and how when they clean their inner nostrils, the handkerchiefs are stained with black sooth.
The black spot in PortHarcourt is caused by illegal refineries.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 6:44am On Mar 22, 2021
seunny4lif:
grin grin grin grin grin
Pele ooooh
Pipeline from Nigeria to Europe when Russia, Norway and Isreal oil and gas are cheap and will cost less cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Go and dig up your research or ask people in the industry. Cause I believe you just woke up to international issues and all a decade ago.

Obasanjo brokered this deal in his second term as president.

So because you don't know a thing or were not informed makes it beer parlour gist abi.

Tell me. What was the stability of Libya like in 2003 and Co.

Would Italy just sit back as the presence modern era of Libya while Germany pulls of a mega deal with them. Use your brain

Is the Nordics not exposed to the exact or rather even more extreme weather conditions than Germany who was sourcing for what it termed stable alternative to gas

Please. Go do your studies about the successes of Gazprom and Russia as a while around the 2000/2004 window as against the time after Gazprom became a hit. Even if we assume it considered Russia.

I feel sorry for all your abroad living. You're nothing but a fool who sits on the fence has nothing to contribute to societal issues but only seeking for loopholes to puncture to drag colour and discredit.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 6:44am On Mar 22, 2021
seunny4lif:
grin grin grin grin grin
Pele ooooh

Go and dig up your research or ask people in the industry. Cause I believe you just woke up to international issues and all a decade ago.

Obasanjo brokered this deal in his second term as president.

So because you don't know a thing or were not informed makes it beer parlour gist abi.

Tell me. What was the stability of Libya like in 2003 and Co.

Would Italy just sit back as the presence modern era of Libya while Germany pulls of a mega deal with them. Use your brain

Is the Nordics not exposed to the exact or rather even more extreme weather conditions than Germany who was sourcing for what it termed stable alternative to gas

Please. Go do your studies about the successes of Gazprom and Russia as a while around the 2000/2004 window as against the time after Gazprom became a hit. Even if we assume it considered Russia.

I feel sorry for all your abroad living. You're nothing but a fool who sits on the fence has nothing to contribute to societal issues but only seeking for loopholes to puncture to drag colour and discredit..

After you date back your thinking faculty to the window of this deal, then ask yourself the conditions of those your so called alternatives. Even to as far as Iraq and Iran that recently came onstream

Olodo
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 6:47am On Mar 22, 2021
Abudu2000:
u sounded like a patriotic yoruba man but not a lagosian lol. All of it being sited at lag is ur problem not the pollution. I suggest u better get used to it being in lagos man grin

I'm not a yoruba man. The era I was born and all through growing up, we were thought to reason and discuss intellectually without adding emotions and all to it. And it's easy for a blind to see that the refinery is stationed where it is for fast access to the ocean for fast access to the international markets and for profits. And whatever assessment was looked into before its establishment blinded it access to an holistic impact of its presence there.

3 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by bayelsaowei(m): 6:51am On Mar 22, 2021
BlueSparks:

Large corporations do lots of cover up in EIA

Trust me. What organization would want to lose in billions of dollars contracts

There's no large scale heavy industrialised activity without cover up

I can write a thing scientifically and hide many facts a layman would never interpret.
youre correct. And again the regulstors that approve these permits are dpr and federal ministry of environment. A huge bribery sum can just close the EIA thing out.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 6:56am On Mar 22, 2021
bayelsaowei:
youre correct. And again the regulstors that approve these permits are dpr and federal ministry of environment. A huge bribery sum can just close the EIA thing out.

I can bet my coin on it that as long as Nigeria is concerned that's nothing like EIA. If EIA is considered realistically as we assume no abbatoirs in Nigeria will still be open.

I speak realistically. All abbatoirs I've seen in my life in this country, if not God has so much bastardized all the water bodies around it in a way that it's only God that has/is preventing breakout of epidemic. From Kara to Cele Ijesha to Oko Oba etc. I've never seen EIA swung into action in any industrial activity if not what's happening in Niger Delta won't be happening

I stay close to a Chinese firm. It you see the hundreds of thousands of chemicals pumped into the water bodies you will fear. Why has any government organization not closed them. An entire large water body miles afar off is smelling badly from these chemicals.

5 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by bayelsaowei(m): 6:59am On Mar 22, 2021
BlueSparks:

I can bet my coin on it that as long as Nigeria is concerned that's nothing like EIA. If EIA is considered realistically as we assume no abbatoirs in Nigeria will still be open.

I speak realistically. All abbatoirs I've seen in my life in this country, if not God has so much bastardized all the water bodies around it in a way that it's only God that has/is preventing breakout of epidemic. From Kara to Cele Ijesha to Oko Oba etc. I've never seen EIA swung into action in any industrial activity if not what's happening in Niger Delta won't be happening

I stay close to a Chinese firm. It you see the hundreds of thousands of chemicals pumped into the water bodies you will fear. Why has any government organization not closed them. An entire large water body miles afar off is smelling badly from these chemicals.
funny enough these EIAs are much enforced for IOcs operating in the country. Infact without an EIA approved no site construction can commence. But I do know other companies can bribe their way through.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 7:02am On Mar 22, 2021
bayelsaowei:
funny enough these EIAs are much enforced for IOcs operating in the country. Infact without an EIA approved no site construction can commence. But I do know other companies can bribe their way through.

I took a tour back in the years when the whole Niger Delta issue broke out to the media

I was young but wanted first hand reports of my hand report of my own. On touching ground I was crying. Where are the so-called EIAs.

Example gas flaring was sanctioned by the Country to oil extractive and producing companies as far back as second term of Obasanjo. I don't know if till date Shell and it's crook peers has stopped the madness they do in ND

EIAs appeal to mid-term companies. For higher companies, organizations and individuals we all know there's a seperate law altogether..
Let's just hope we skeptics are wrong which I'm open to

I want to assume it's designers in its blueprints put everything together for smooth working without issues to the environment.

While I speak against, it's simply to the soul of the society. I'm happy if I'm wrong and if they did the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by mmsen: 7:04am On Mar 22, 2021
Hashabiah:
You are right. The pollution in lagos will not only harm the air, but it will also harm the environment in terms of crude waste disposal. I just hope that the government will be able to make laws that will enable better management of pollution in that state

Legislators can write any nonsense they like on a piece of paper. Will they enforce the law? Will the courts enforce the law?

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by bigcasava1(m): 7:07am On Mar 22, 2021
ngoremeka:
LAGOSIANS IS REFINERY GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU SINCE IT IS LOCATED IN LAGOS?

Why I ask is because, in my own opinion, what is happening in oil rich areas might happen in Lagos. Things like air pollution land pollution especially oil spills, which will reduce the value of land in those area. I don't think people will be able to go to the beach to relax anymore! You see we should be thinking of the future and not "I wan chop am now now" mentality and that is why I say is it GOOD OR BAD? SHARE YOUR OPINION
Lagos atmosphere is already polluted
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Pweetiedude(m): 7:10am On Mar 22, 2021
Refineries emit many gases like sulphur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen oxide (NO2), carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, methane, dioxins, hydrogen fluoride, chlorine, benzene and others. Many of the gases emitted by refineries are harmful to humans, and can cause permanent damage and even death.

3 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Born2conquer: 7:12am On Mar 22, 2021
Hashabiah:
Lagosians have not thought of the long term effect of having a refinery in Lagos. But I know by the time people start swallowing atmospheric pollution in the form smog and flue gases, then they will wake up and cry.
Especially estates getting developed around the refineries, like what are people thinking?

They think industry will bring development, yes! But
Not residential development

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by evy800(f): 7:13am On Mar 22, 2021
I'm learning here

A very insightful discussion

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Rapture4real(m): 7:29am On Mar 22, 2021
My experience in Rivers State makes me to agree with the op.Gas and oil production has its negative impacts on human and environmental aspects of life. Our leaders know that Nigerians are used to suffering. So they will look the other side as long as they collect money from the company.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 7:34am On Mar 22, 2021
[s]
onatisi:

There is no environmental impact it can have . You need to understand that lagos is not situated on another planet , if places even smaller than lagos state can have more than one refinery,then what makes lagos own case special ?
If countries smaller than the size of lagos state can have and also maintain more than one refinery,then why can't lagos state or nigeria even do the same ?
The only area which I think you may have a point is the naija factor of corruption. If all agencies and relevant health bodies do their job without been corrupted ,then there is nothing to fear. Before citing the refinery where it is now the state govt would have taken necessary steps and followed due standards before approving the place if not I am sure ,many people would have been complaining about the place. Before citing a refinery in a place there are basic standards which must have been met
[/s]
Oga you are speaking ignorantly. Have you ever been to a refinery to see what goes on there ? Do you even have a clue, as to the threat it poses to a high population density area like Lagos...? And for your information, just because you saw a few refineries (on TV) being situated in densely populated areas, does not mean it is the standard way of doing things ; no that is a 3rd -world country's way of doing things and the ripple effect is normally felt years after the damage is done. If you doubt this, Google "oxygen bars " of New Delhi in India , and see why they there.

There is always an EIA(Enviromental Impact Assessment) report that done prior to the establishment of an industry. So let me ask you this question :Has the Dangote group shown you or any of the other gullible folks on this forum that assessment report? Because you cannot say that there no harm a refinery will pose to the site it is established.

Lastly , i would like you to read up on the design of the refinery being situated by Dangote group , and see if those effluent gases that will be produced from the distillation process are not hazardous in nature.

Peace

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 22, 2021
You're talking about environmental issues but still saying it would be best if sited in Ondo or Edo. Are you then saying there won't be environmental issues if it's in Ondo or Edo?

sukieboy:

Na English and latent greed go kee Yoruba people. Do you know that almost everything produced in the petrochem train is poisonous? The best would have been up close to Ondo and Edo state. You can be stupid to say liquid cannot spilt, it will ofcourse, the question is containing it's spread. Anyway, when you guys see the environmental issues and banks start leaving Lagos for Ibadan you will be the same fellow that would claim you never supported it.

I have seen as almost everyone in Lagos denied voting for Buhari in 2015 because the sai Baba project failed. Buhari did not die , so they are ashamed and secretly angry that he refused to die like Yardua. Same way the will deny all the so called research on this and that.

Lagos is not a good site but dangote wanted it so he can get the deepest port in West Africa and he has got it without you guys knowing. 36feet of dredge. After Una go say Hausa be mumu. Who come mumu pass ?

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SavageResponse(m): 7:56am On Mar 22, 2021
McLizbae:

Does that even mean Dangote refinery will not flare gas?

Not very likely

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SavageResponse(m): 8:01am On Mar 22, 2021
BlueSparks:

It's well thought out actually. It is going to unfold in phases. There is a renewal of the 1970s petroleum pipelines network that will ensure streamlined nationwide distribution to tackle the challenges of distribution

Let's not forget Lagos Ibadan expressway once functional will be freer than now.

Planned cargo rail services and heavy..

See. Let me tell you guys the truth

Dangote isn't producing for local production

That's the pure fact. Yes a good part will meet local need but the bulk of his market and his target is international market. This is where the Atlantic Ocean comes in

Kudos to Sailors in advance as much opportunities will begin to open to them

Also, Nigeria brokered an agreement with the European Union to construct a supply pipeline from Nigeria directly to Europe. Indeed his project is massive, highly beneficial to the country. And beyond. I wish him well

I see the country benefitting from it massively

I also like to postulate that he will be the richest man in the world because of this refinery within ten years of operation.

Stop talking rubbish it does not make economic sense to build an undersea pipeline from Nigeria to Europe.

Most countries in Europe are even phasing out fossil fuel powered cars and moving to electric vehicle therefore this project makes no sense!
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SavageResponse(m): 8:02am On Mar 22, 2021
Keemsleek005:

I just dey read they laugh there's difference btw a rig and refinery. That's the mistake they making. Even America with their shale oil have refineries.

Largest petroleum refineries in the United States
Rank Refinery Barrels/Day
1 Port Arthur Refinery 607,000
2 Galveston Bay Refinery 585,000
3 Baytown Refinery 560,500
4 Garyville Refinery 564,000

Environmental and health assessments risk as been taking and certified before lagos state will give dangote go ahead to build a refinery in lagos, and i can bet the means of crude transportation to the refinery will be by vessel not pipe. Which is one of the major problems in niger delta cos pipes are used mostly to move crudes and products to depots and the refineries.

Even if there will be health and enviromental risk it will be of minimal effect. Renfineries dont flare gas pls.

Don't mind that ignoramus that thinks he knows it all
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by 35824L: 8:04am On Mar 22, 2021
Mumu Op. Worry about the GSM masts located close to your house instead of bitching about a refinery well located in an industrial area. Someone with a good nose can detect the smell of this envy is coming from flat heads in the gully erosion ravaged region.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by bayelsaowei(m): 8:05am On Mar 22, 2021
BlueSparks:

I took a tour back in the years when the whole Niger Delta issue broke out to the media

I was young but wanted first hand reports of my hand report of my own. On touching ground I was crying. Where are the so-called EIAs.

Example gas flaring was sanctioned by the Country to oil extractive and producing companies as far back as second term of Obasanjo. I don't know if till date Shell and it's crook peers has stopped the madness they do in ND

EIAs appeal to mid-term companies. For higher companies, organizations and individuals we all know there's a seperate law altogether..
Let's just hope we skeptics are wrong which I'm open to

I want to assume it's designers in its blueprints put everything together for smooth working without issues to the environment.

While I speak against, it's simply to the soul of the society. I'm happy if I'm wrong and if they did the right thing.
you do know flaring was inevitable as a result of our own government who wasn't ready to develop our domestic gas market and invest in massive gas infrastructures. Some of the chaos you see in the niger delta and its environs are most times perpetuated by the locals who bunker crude from oil lines. Ofcourse EIA can't cover for that... grin grin

Bottom line is if a company like shell plans to construct any pipeline or build a facility work can't commence until an EIA study is carried out and an approval secured from DPR and FMENV. But for dangote who owns the country I doubt if any mumu dpr can stop him.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SavageResponse(m): 8:07am On Mar 22, 2021
bizzibodi:

Could U tell us how d flare gas will b used?

We're talking about a refinery here not an oil rig or oil production platform...It's in oil rigs that they normally flare gas which is more or less regarded as a by-product of crude production.

Most of these guys commenting and talking rubbish do not even know the difference between drill ship and a semi submersible but they're here pretending to be Energy industry experts!
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by josite: 8:18am On Mar 22, 2021
[quote author=thebosstrevor1 post=100089632]

Pls just get educated about this issue.

People who live around any medium and heavy industrial infrastructures are risking their lives.

Go and see lafarge cement plant along lagos abeokuta express way...the people living around those areas are not in good health condition, the air there is polluted talkless of a refinery and a petrol chemical plants that produces fertilizer which can also be used to make bombs.

Dont ever buy any land near any refin
ery, that is a bad investment [/quot

You are wrong.i have plots to sell at oko orisan Lagos State govt water front scheme and I'm selling because even at 10m,I got more persons willing to buy so it is true property in that axis will go up.but they may not live their.likecsomeone said people still live around all the refineries in Nigeria
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by iyapont: 8:21am On Mar 22, 2021
Judolisco:
Na so my people go build refinery for kaduna... Dangote refinery should have been built in ondo state
He came to ondo state then I think but mimiko the greedy man chased him away..
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by adelekeolu(m): 8:30am On Mar 22, 2021
keep your negative thought to yourself. God bless south west Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Businesses That Can thrive In Nigeria Despite The Bad Economy / Fatima Dangote And Jamil Abubakar Wedding Dinner In Abuja (Photos) / How To Become An Agent For Baba Ijebu, Nairabet, Mendibet Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.