Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,192 members, 7,815,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? (919 Views)

How Long Did It Take You To Become Sufficiently Proficient In Javascript?? / How Long Did It Take You To Become A Professional In Programming / At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by CapedBaldy: 4:07pm On Mar 22, 2021
I recently finished a tutorial on JavaScript. I can say I understand about 20% of it. It's a lot more difficult than what I expected and kind of a pain lol. I'm already trying a different approach by learning from a book. Hopefully I'll get a better understanding of it. So, how long did it take for you to get good at it.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by qtguru(m): 4:18pm On Mar 22, 2021
3 months of daily practicing, Find this book JavaScript for Advanced Engineer by Nicholas Zakas, he teaches you JavaScript before jumping to ES6 and others. That was what I read that made me grasp it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by qtguru(m): 4:19pm On Mar 22, 2021
CapedBaldy:
I recently finished a tutorial on JavaScript. I can say I understand about 20% of it. It's a lot more difficult than what I expected and kind of a pain lol. I'm already trying a different approach by learning from a book. Hopefully I'll get a better understanding of it. So, how long did it take for you to get good at it.

Code while reading too, if possible setup Github account and tackle a topic each day

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by Karleb(m): 4:29pm On Mar 22, 2021
Here is a shocker. You can't stop learning JavaScript.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by CapedBaldy: 5:02pm On Mar 22, 2021
qtguru:

Code while reading too, if possible setup Github account and tackle a topic each day
whenever I see examples in the book, I always test them out. As for GitHub, I'll join that as soon as possible.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by CapedBaldy: 5:02pm On Mar 22, 2021
qtguru:
3 months of daily practicing, Find this book JavaScript for Advanced Engineer by Nicholas Zakas, he teaches you JavaScript before jumping to ES6 and others. That was what I read that made me grasp it.
thanks. I'll try to get the book.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by stanliwise(m): 7:38pm On Mar 22, 2021
CapedBaldy:
I learnt basically many things about JavaScript but until now I never knew I really don’t know what JavaScript was.

JavaScript right now is a pal to me.
I learnt true JS through

JavaScript: The Definitive guide
You don’t know JS series

The latter was the bomb

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by stanliwise(m): 7:41pm On Mar 22, 2021
qtguru:
Good point, ES6 helped to hide many subtle dangerous part of JavaScript. And if one don’t know about pre-ES6. Such person could be threading on workspace with landmine in close range.

For the record JavaScript is nothing and is nothing or anything close to an OOP supporting language at the core. JavaScript can be configured to write OOP and that is what ES6 did

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by CapedBaldy: 8:19am On Mar 23, 2021
stanliwise:

I learnt basically many things about JavaScript but until now I never knew I really don’t know what JavaScript was.

JavaScript right now is a pal to me.
I learnt true JS through

JavaScript: The Definitive guide
You don’t know JS series

The latter was the bomb
I think I have one of the "You don't know JavaScript" books. I'll check it out. For now I'm still using JavaScript by tutorialspoint.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by stanliwise(m): 7:48pm On Mar 23, 2021
CapedBaldy:

I think I have one of the "You don't know JavaScript" books. I'll check it out. For now I'm still using JavaScript by tutorialspoint.
Believe me you. Tutorials point is nothing but a reference. Very useful if you need to quickly read about a functionality and some concept you forgot or did not remember.

While you do the tutorial point I will advise you to have a map of what to learn.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by CapedBaldy: 8:41am On Mar 24, 2021
stanliwise:
Believe me you. Tutorials point is nothing but a reference. Very useful if you need to quickly read about a functionality and some concept you forgot or did not remember.

While you do the tutorial point I will advise you to have a map of what to learn.
Can you explain what you mean by the map?
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by adeblow(m): 10:30am On Mar 24, 2021
CapedBaldy:
Learn jQuery and understand it, JavaScript won't be a problem after that. You would grasp the concept of events (onclick, onmouseup etc) trust me try jQuery, the rest is history

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by CapedBaldy: 2:21pm On Mar 24, 2021
adeblow:

Learn jQuery and understand it, JavaScript won't be a problem after that. You would grasp the concept of events (onclick, onmouseup etc) trust me try jQuery, the rest is history
I'll keep this in mind
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get Good At Javascript? by Karleb(m): 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2021
adeblow:

I will advice against learning JQuery in 2021.

It's better to learn React, Vuejs or Angular.

Jquery is going obsolete.

(1) (Reply)

What Was The Very First Programming Language You Learnt? / Blogger / Internet Forensics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.