Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,497 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

My Tribe, My Only Crime - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Tribe, My Only Crime (1676 Views)

He Can’t Marry Me Because Of My Tribe After Dating For 5years. People Are Evil / My Parents Won't Allow Me Marry Outside My Tribe / My Fiancee's Mum Doesn't Want Us To Marry Because Of My Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 3:46pm On Mar 23, 2021
This is going to be short I promise.

There is a lady I have known for a while and we have been getting along quite very well. Everything was very well between us (that should summarize a lot).

So late last year while we were discussing and then talking about relationships, she asked me my state of origin and I told her which is Cross River state while she is from Nassarawa state. Well, she said that she can't marry or date anyone from my state.

I was quite hurt, hurt because she rejected me based on factors I do not have control over.

I mean, if she had rejected me based on character, social and financial status, I would have been less hurt. Nobody choose where they come from.

And that brings me to this question:
"Are we really from where we are from?"

I ask this question because due to a number of factors like work that causes people to migrate from one region, community, state and country to another, many people are born or raise in different places from where their parents are from. Take me for example, my late dad was a police officer. Even though my both parents are originally from CRS, I, being the first born barely spent three years in CRS before moving with my parents to Delta State where I grew up. My four younger siblings were all born in Delta State.

This is very common with children of (Para) military officers. Due to postings, children grow up in different environment than where they are originally from. Now, that environment can become a part of them; the culture, languages and lifestyle would have been infused into them so much that when they become adults, they are more of where they grew up in than where they are originally from.

A person from SW whose parents bring him up in the SE can be more of an Igbo than a person from the SE who grows up in the SW or any other region. I hope you get the drift?

So, with the above explanation, what makes a person, where he comes from or where s/he grows up in?

Let us discuss.

Rocktation farano Lalasticlala mynd44 FP please

1 Like

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Fahdiga(m): 3:50pm On Mar 23, 2021
What makes a person is where he or she grew up
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 4:03pm On Mar 23, 2021
Fahdiga:
What makes a person is where he or she grew up

Thank you. You know, it is very easy to say this. But many people act otherwise. We judge a person first based on where he is from rather than the content of his character and qualifications.

There are things that are beyond a person's control and tribe is one of them.

Does tribe really matter in relationships these days seeing that more and more Young Nigerians are looking for ways to migrate abroad?
For example, if I get married to a northerner and I leave this country, my family and I would be seen as Nigerians and not based on tribe.

My wife and I (and especially the children) may have little or nothing to do with our tribes in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Freelancer2020(m): 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2021
Pls worry yourself less on this, I'm happy that you also mentioned that tribe, country, environment really has nothing to do if trully love is involve, so in this case the young girl's focus is simply in another place entirely, just move on.
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by BigDick70inch(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2021
Missionaire:

There is a lady I have known for a while and we have been getting along quite very well. Everything was very well between us (that should summarize a lot).

So late last year while we were discussing and then talking about relationships, she asked me my state of origin and I told her which is Cross River state while she is from Nassarawa state. Well, she said that she can't marry or date anyone from my state.

I was quite hurt, hurt because she rejected me based on factors I do not have control over.

I mean, if she had rejected me based on character, social and financial status, I would have been less hurt. Nobody choose where they come from.

I ask this question because due to a number of factors like work that causes people to migrate from one region, community, state and country to another, many people are born or raise in different places from where their parents are from. Take me for example, my late dad was a police officer. Even though my both parents are originally from CRS, I, being the first born barely spent three years in CRS before moving with my parents to Delta State where I grew up. My four younger siblings were all born in Delta State.

This is very common with children of (Para) military officers. Due to postings, children grow up in different environment than where they are originally from. Now, that environment can become a part of them; the culture, languages and lifestyle would have been infused into them so much that when they become adults, they are more of where they grew up in than where they are originally from.

A person from SW whose parents bring him up in the SE can be more of an Igbo than a person from the SE who grows up in the SW or any other region. I hope you get the drift?

So, with the above explanation, what makes a person, where he comes from or where s/he grows up in?

Let us discuss.

Rocktation, farano FP please

Oga.......
Nah her lose be that Ooo.......
An Igbo girl rejected me.........cos am a Yoruba boy initially..........I TOLD HER POINT BLANK DAT IF SHE ISN'T DATING A YORUBA GUY......SHE'S MISSING ........I guess that put so much curiosity in her.............cos she later left her Igbo boyfriend to date and will together.........lol

2 Likes

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Fremantle: 6:44pm On Mar 23, 2021
Missionaire:

Let us discuss.
When u say where a person comes from, for me it doesn't really tell the whole story, I may come from a particular place and not behave like the place but since that area has made a name for itself by past experiences be it gud or bad anyone from there is tag as such.

What defines a person for me is Where s/he grows up in and that has to do with Upbringing, parenting, society.

Unfortunately for u OP the girl's mistake was not getting to know u in person.

Probably her ideology of not wanting anything to do with a Cross-riverian could b what she's heard or it was passed down to her by her parents. That's y u see cases of fathers not accepting a man cus he's from a particular tribe cus of what happened during their days(the old days).

Things are changing, civilization is here but it hasn't whipped out somany things.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Truthabulabula(m): 10:43pm On Mar 23, 2021
Can't tell about tribe. Nigeria is one messed up country.
People don't take me seriously when I make mention of being bi-racial.
I exhibit more of my moms nature than my dad's. grin

Op, you're right.
Environment is considered (example, I'm generally scared of Nigerians but, I know how to speak most of their main languages perfectly).

Cause I'm scared of Nigerians, I'll write everyone off as evil. Doesn't mean I don't know good people exist there "wink

Individuality matters. It's all generalization.

3 Likes

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 10:47am On Mar 24, 2021
Fremantle:

When u say where a person comes from, for me it doesn't really tell the whole story, I may come from a particular place and not behave like the place but since that area has made a name for itself by past experiences be it gud or bad anyone from there is tag as such.

What defines a person for me is Where s/he grows up in and that has to do with Upbringing, parenting, society.

Unfortunately for u OP the girl's mistake was not getting to know u in person.

Probably her ideology of not wanting anything to do with a Cross-riverian could b what she's heard or it was passed down to her by her parents. That's y u see cases of fathers not accepting a man cus he's from a particular tribe cus of what happened during their days(the old days).

Things are changing, civilization is here but it hasn't whipped out somany things.

We are still saying the same thing. Where a person grows up has more impact on the person than where he comes from.
You know, education enables a person to have an open mind and make research instead of relying on assumptions and past information.
Unfortunately, many who claim to be educated do not seek new knowledge about things before making decisions.

Meanwhile, we have been getting together pretty well for about a year and three months now.

We still talk and get along.
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 10:51am On Mar 24, 2021
Truthabulabula:
Can't tell about tribe. Nigeria is one messed up country.
People don't take me seriously when I make mention of being bi-racial.
I exhibit more of my moms nature than my dad's. grin

Op, you're right.
Environment is considered (example, I'm generally scared of Nigerians but, I know how to speak most of their main languages perfectly).

Cause I'm scared of Nigerians, I'll write everyone off as evil. Doesn't mean I don't know good people exist there "wink

Individuality matters. It's all generalization.

Environment is really important.........It would be nice if people treat people based on individuality and not generality......I don't know if that word is in the dictionary.
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 10:54am On Mar 24, 2021
BigDick70inch:

Oga.......
Nah her lose be that Ooo.......
An Igbo girl rejected me.........cos am a Yoruba boy initially..........I TOLD HER POINT BLANK DAT IF SHE ISN'T DATING A YORUBA GUY......SHE'S MISSING ........I guess that put so much curiosity in her.............cos she later left her Igbo boyfriend to date and will together.........lol

Lols.....Simi song comes to mind....Love don't care about a lot of things.
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by aniplus: 1:47pm On Mar 24, 2021
Missionaire:

Let us discuss.

Rocktation, farano FP please

Na lie!!!

She has a man in her life.. She just use that one discharge you.

2 Likes

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by PoloG: 2:04pm On Mar 24, 2021
Everybody should date and marry their respectives tribes.. I don't support all this intertribal bullshit cause I don't belive in black unity or nonsense one africa...
Everybody should maintain their lane cool

1 Like

Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by gwininfo(m): 2:13pm On Mar 24, 2021
wahala for who is in love with who doesnt love them back.....
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by BigDick70inch(m): 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2021
Missionaire:

Lols.....Simi song comes to mind....Love don't care about a lot of things.

Abi nah......
Some girls r something else.......
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 10:48am On Mar 25, 2021
aniplus:

Na lie!!!

She has a man in her life.. She just use that one discharge you.

Well, She could still have told me. We are pretty straightforward with each other.
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by Missionaire: 10:51am On Mar 25, 2021
PoloG:
Everybody should date and marry their respectives tribes.. I don't support all this intertribal bullshit cause I don't belive in black unity or nonsense one africa...
Everybody should maintain their lane cool

Ah ahn.............What makes a tribe?
Re: My Tribe, My Only Crime by AmuAwusa: 12:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
You are from Akwa ibom an alpha tribe with oil money stooping so slow from a girl in nassarawa state.?

Na she supposed to beg you. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me Judge Or Have Your Say In This Banter With A Close Friend / Pls, She Needs Our Help / I'm Giving Away My Phone For Just 45k. Negotiable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.