Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) (59122 Views)

Satellite Images Reveals Traffic Jam Caused By Grounded Container Ship In Egypt / How Much Cargo Can The Largest Shipping Container Ship Really Hold? / 10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by geesilver(m): 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2021
this is serious
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Foolishbuhari: 9:19pm On Mar 25, 2021
fashrola:

Not the captain but the pilot onboard, whenever a ship calls into port, a pilot boards the ship and take over command and shows where the captain should ply (Even though the captain knows but it's a regulation), but from speculations about this incident, it was a wind that made ship go off course..

When it comes to ship incident, we do not make hasten conclusions till after investigation

Egypt is loosing about $9.8 Billion dollars per day because of this incident

Jesu! Are you serious Bro? How dem dey take lose that kind money daily! Do they toll the route?

You do realize that's about our foreign reserves per day you're talking about here abi?
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by captainamiedi1: 9:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
tutudesz:
Was the captain high Not to notice the ship movement on time.

You think ship maneuver is that easy? can you see how tight is the canal? una go just they type for the sake of it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by LordErrk: 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mutemenot:
Another hit from Explorer . The captain of the ship should be punished for his mistakes ...

Try to be understanding something before opening your mouth anyhow
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by geesilver(m): 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
DAramis:
Wetin the ship pilot dey do that he or she can't navigate in that small route?
you should learn to read with keen interest.... there was a part written that the wind was much for the ship so it lost it power and steering ability thereby causing the stuck at the canal bank

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by fashrola(m): 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
Foolishbuhari:

Jesu! Are you serious Bro? How dem dey take lose that kind money daily! Do they toll the route?

You do realize that's about our foreign reserves per day you're talking about here abi?

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2021/33121/suez-canal-blockade-costing-about-400-million-hour/

Each vessel pays up to $200,000 to transit from Suez canal and it's one of the busiest canal in the world

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by AgentGoat: 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
fashrola:

There are container ships that can carry more than 23500 containers

What's the roadmap to becoming a driver of a ship. Is there any training institution doing it in Nigeria?
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by geesilver(m): 9:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mutemenot:
Another hit from Explorer . The captain of the ship should be punished for his mistakes ... Meanwhile they must be an option b3fore the day runs off, I trust the white when it comes to emergency like this
in a force majeure like this..... there is little the pilot can do to stop the wind from blowing I don't know if you have ever sail before, you would understand me better

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by DAramis: 9:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
Babaken:
you mean the CAPTAIN.
Yeah, bro. Hope he was not busy watching keeping up with Kardashons while the ship was on autopilot?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by SKhanmi: 9:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
fashrola:

Wind plays an important role during navigation.....

You don't joke with it

Sure, but look at those pics & possibly watch the video again. How many freak accidents like this have happened since the channel was opened? What happened to the other ships within the vicinity if a freak wind can move a heavily laden ship of that magnitude? Or was the captain sleeping?

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by geesilver(m): 9:26pm On Mar 25, 2021
Joysticks:
How this big ship with heavy loads can float on water beat my imagination.
that's the mistery of science.

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by DAramis: 9:30pm On Mar 25, 2021
geesilver:
you should learn to read with keen interest.... there was a part written that the wind was much for the ship so it lost it power and steering ability thereby causing the stuck at the canal bank
It wasn't this detailed when the story broke by Explorer... He only added pictures and few comments.

All the same, thanks for the information.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by ogelekpomgam(m): 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2021
Joysticks:
Yes bro.its called principle of floatation.In physics, Archimedes principles states that when a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid ( water or gas) it experiences a loss in weight or an upthrust equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.thats why when you want draw water from the well,you experience the bucket being less heavy inside the water but more heavy outside.when a heavy object dispaces a given volume of water equal to it's weight,then it can float. wink

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by ogelekpomgam(m): 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2021
Joysticks:
Yes bro.its called principle of floatation.In physics, Archimedes principles states that when a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid ( water or gas) it experiences a loss in weight or an upthrust equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.thats why when you want draw water from the well,you experience the bucket being less heavy inside the water but more heavy outside.when a heavy object dispaces a given volume of water equal to it's weight,then it can float. wink smiley

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by DAramis: 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2021
Joysticks:

I think it has to do with Archimedes principle

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Pacesetter123(m): 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2021
fashrola:

But it's one of the busiest in the world..... My last voyage three years ago from Germany to China was a great one (Since it was my first time) and I really wanted to see the renowned Suez canal

It takes just 12 days to transit from Europe to Asia via Suez Canal, it saves fuel and transit time rather than using the western part of Africa to Asia which cost a lot fuel and transit time

To pass here, each shipping company spends close to $170,000 to $200,000 to pass through the Suez canal
Omo! See revenue generation.Una dey here for 9ja de fight for crude oil alone.

3 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by VictorRomanov: 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mutemenot:
Another hit from Explorer . The captain of the ship should be punished for his mistakes ... Meanwhile they must be an option b3fore the day runs off, I trust the white when it comes to emergency like this

Did you read through the thread in its entirety??
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by franchasng: 9:34pm On Mar 25, 2021
Foolishbuhari:

He's exegerating lol.

Yes shipping companies that their vessel passes through that canal pay a fee, but not that Egypt is losing $9billion per day, they will be richer than China and US combined na lol

It's global shipping business that's losing that amount based on speculations actual.

You can calculate the cost of your vessel's (aka ship lol) passage fee via suez canal using this site https://www.wilhelmsen.com/tollcalculators/suez-toll-calculator/
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by extol1(m): 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2021
fashrola:

But it's one of the busiest in the world..... My last voyage three years ago from Germany to China was a great one (Since it was my first time) and I really wanted to see the renowned Suez canal

It takes just 12 days to transit from Europe to Asia via Suez Canal, it saves fuel and transit time rather than using the western part of Africa to Asia which cost a lot fuel and transit time

To pass here, each shipping company spends close to $170,000 to $200,000 to pass through the Suez canal
pls explain better how is Egypt losing $9.8 billion per day on this canal

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by seanwilliam(m): 9:38pm On Mar 25, 2021
Joysticks:

I think say na only me Dey wonder o..

And how aeroplane Dey fly too grin

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:39pm On Mar 25, 2021
Thats how our grand daddies in government get stuck in their positions and make it hard for the country to move faward.
Someone navigates Nigeria to the world's extreme corner and dumped her there.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Hakeem66: 9:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
fashrola:

Not the captain but the pilot onboard, whenever a ship calls into port, a pilot boards the ship and take over command and shows where the captain should ply (Even though the captain knows but it's a regulation), but from speculations about this incident, it was a wind that made ship go off course..

When it comes to ship incident, we do not make hasten conclusions till after investigation

Egypt is loosing about $9.8 Billion dollars per day because of this incident
This is where Egypt's main revenue comes from now I understand.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Foolishbuhari: 9:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
franchasng:
He's exegerating lol.

Yes shipping companies that their vessel passes through that canal pay a fee, but not that Egypt is losing $9billion per day, they will be richer than China and US combined na lol

It's global shipping business that's losing that amount based on speculations actual.

You can calculate the cost of your vessel's (aka ship lol) passage fee via suez canal using this site https://www.wilhelmsen.com/tollcalculators/suez-toll-calculator/

Thanks for the education man

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by extol1(m): 9:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
ogelekpomgam:
Yes bro.its called principle of floatation.In physics, Archimedes principles states that when a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid ( water or gas) it experiences a loss in weight or an upthrust equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.thats why when you want draw water from the well,you experience the bucket being less heavy inside the water but more heavy outside.when a heavy object dispaces a given volume of water equal to it's weight,then it can float. wink
oga professor, hope u know everybody is not a science student and I say to some extent that the person who asked this question might not be a science student. so blow your grammar poco a poco

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by naijadrivablog: 9:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
Saw this on Instagram earlier.

Suez canal is a narrow part but the quickest route from the New World to Europe Africa and Asia.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Pacesetter123(m): 9:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
AgentGoat:

What's the roadmap to becoming a driver of a ship. Is there any training institution doing it in Nigeria?
Yes,buy a form n go to Maritime Academy of Nigeria,Oron in Akwa Ibom State.Its a globally recognized Maritime institution here in Nigeria offering such professional training.My bros went through it,he is now with Indonesian shipping company abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Ouchbabe(f): 9:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
Trust Nigerians, the prices of commodities will increase now. You will begin to hear "Nnaa mehn market don cost because one ship block road for high sea" Igbo kwenu

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Rodwave: 9:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
dynicks:
Could this be the hand work of JUBRIL AL' SUDANI?...

I mean comparing it with the way buhari has piloted the affairs of this nation...

Lol.. Some of you guys are damn too funny
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Tolexander: 9:53pm On Mar 25, 2021
Explorers:
The Suez Canal is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, connecting Europe with the Far East.

The Suez canal, which is around 120 miles long links the Persian Gulf and the Mediterranean and is the shortest shipping route between the Atlantic and the Indian Ocean.
I don’t know where you or the OP got your misinformation from.

Suez Canal links the Red sea and the Mediterranean Sea, not the Persian Gulf.

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Pacesetter123(m): 9:54pm On Mar 25, 2021
Does it mean that the canal is too small for ship of this magnitude?
Talking about wind blowing it off course,so the wind blew it from the center of the canal until it's finally got stuck at the bank of the canal? Wots de distance between the center and the bank?
I refused to completely believe the excuse about the wind.I rather sense human error by the technical crew as the cause of this mishap.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by TheFalcons: 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Exactly, the harbour pilot is to blame.

With full knowledge and experts available on board, this is the result he can give.

Pacesetter123:
Does it mean that the canal is too small for ship of this magnitude?
Talking about wind blowing it off course,so the wind blew it from the center of the canal until it's finally got stuck at the bank of the canal? Wots de distance between the center and the bank?
I refused to completely believe the excuse about the wind.I rather sense human error by the technical crew as the cause of this mishap.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by tonyetuokwu: 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Wetin no go take me 12hrs to pull out, I Don pull out dredgers and ships wey ground for Orashi river plenty times. Make dem Com engage me, mke I use my over 10yrs experience for marine tidy d work

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 Reasons Buhari Banned Bitcoin - Dr Kemi Olunloyo / Dangote Refinery: The Making Of Africa's Biggest Private Refinery - Photos / South African Student That Squandered N392m Accidentally Found In Her Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.