Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,414 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement (782 Views)

My Fiancé Is Acting Very Strange After Our Engagement / After Dating For 7 Years, He Called Off Our Engagement / She Said YES! (heart Warming Pics Of A Nairalander's Engagement & Trad.) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement by BigCabal: 8:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
Jide* and I didn’t hit off when we started talking in 2012. We met on a social media group for prospective university students, and we were trying to get into the same university. On the group, we argued about something, and I thought his response was rude— I didn’t think we could ever be friends or that he would become the man I wanted to marry.

A few weeks after our spat, he got my BBM pin from a friend and texted me to apologise, which I didn’t see coming. We made up, and so our friendship began. We eventually got admitted into the same university we applied to, and we remained in touch in the following months until we resumed school. While nothing romantic was down the line, I thought he was really interesting.

We were in our first year the first time he told me he liked me, but I was in a relationship at the time. Things changed less than a year later. ASUU went on strike, and we got closer during that time, having more interesting conversations and texting more than usual. I had begun having issues with my partner. I was beginning to realise we wanted different things. I broke up with my partner in January 2014.

Jide still wanted more, and he didn’t hide it. He continued to ask me if I would be interested in a relationship with him. In February 2014, we started dating.

I liked Jide, but there were so many things I was oblivious to in the following years.

What I did know, however, was that he wasn’t as religious as I was. Also, he had a fraught relationship with his family. I’m big on family and religion, but I didn’t think they were dealbreakers. Besides, he knew how much I loved acts of service, and he pulled his weight in the relationship. When he graduated from university in 2017 — a year before I did — we had become so ingrained in each other’s lives and getting married was already on the table.

He served in the north and was hoping to be retained by the company he worked for. I had no plans to relocate, but I was open to the idea. We were going to get married after all. But he wasn’t hired as a full staff, so he returned home.

I graduated from university in 2018 and got a job immediately. I studied a medical-related course, so there was an internship waiting for me. After that, I went for my National Youth Service. I was working and had a steady flow of income, but Jide had nothing. The jobs he got offered so little, so he didn’t take them.

Everything was set for us to get married. The only thing that remained was a job.

He finally got a job at a bank in the middle of 2019. He was accepted into a trainee program. As part of the requirements, he was supposed to get 10 new customers for the bank and had a target of ₦2m. He got 10 people to open accounts with the bank easily, but the problem was the money to put in these accounts. Family members helped, but he was still short of his target.

This was where I came in. My parents had opened an account in trust for me when I was young and had been putting money in it. I was older and had access to it now, so I took ₦700k out of the account and gave it to him. I wasn’t going to tell him about the money, but I thought the job was slipping away. Also, I got a friend of the family to loan him ₦200k. The plan was simple — he would spread the money across these accounts to meet his target and return everyone’s money when his appointment into the trainee program was confirmed.

When it was time to return the money, he didn’t. There was always some excuse about how there was a problem with the accounts and how he would have to go to a bank branch to sort it out, but he couldn’t because he risked losing his job if he missed a day at work. It didn’t make sense, but what could I do?

The family friend that loaned him ₦200k was on my neck to return the money, and when I couldn’t bear it anymore, I paid that debt myself. Now, Jide owed me ₦900k.

The trainee program paid him ₦50k every month, but he said he couldn’t pay me out of it because of his financial responsibilities. His dad had died earlier that year, and he claimed his family now depended on him. According to him, he was paying his mum’s medical bills and also paying his younger sister’s school fees. This didn’t make sense because his older brother and sister had good jobs. But when he told me that they weren’t pulling their weight, I believed him.

On some level, I resented them for putting so much pressure on him.

Every month, he always called me for money even though he owed me close to a million naira. If his mum wasn’t sick, something else always came up. I wasn’t earning a lot — I got ₦19800 from the federal government and ₦25k from the hospital I worked at — but his obligations were costing me a lot of money. At this point, I was getting irritated, and I felt guilty for it.

Jide finished his trainee program in December 2019 and was promoted to full staff. His salary also increased from ₦50k to about ₦130k per month. This was supposed to be the moment everything got better, but it got worse. I continued to bring up the accounts he opened a couple of months earlier and the money he owed me. But he said that he couldn’t access those accounts yet. Again, I believed him.

Things started to go downhill in January 2020. I was at work when he called me and started crying over the phone. He said he had a confession to make and would like to tell me to my face. We agreed to meet the following day at my house.

When we met, he first made a big speech about how he wanted to do right by me. Then said something about how he was in trouble and needed my help to get out of it. Finally, he went, “I’ve been gambling, and I owe some people money.”

He told me that he started gambling after he finished his NYSC in 2018 and was out of a job. He had been borrowing money from his friends, and now, he was in more than ₦250k debt.

Continue: https://www.zikoko.com/money/his-gambling-addiction-broke-off-our-engagement/
Re: His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement by Akakanfirstclass(m): 8:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
Re: His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement by Enoch07: 9:19pm On Mar 25, 2021
mumu man
Re: His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement by Ndukings92(m): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2021
It must be bet9ja, over 1.5
Re: His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 25, 2021
d
Re: His Gambling Addiction Broke Off Our Engagement by Sixfeetbelle: 10:29pm On Mar 25, 2021
This is why I hate gamblers. They get easily addicted and enter ruination easily as well.

And when they're on their way to doom, it's very unlikely it will only be their own lives they would ruin. Family, spouse, children, friends, even relatives will not be exempted.

(1) (Reply)

She Said She's Fixed, Should I Back Off Or Still Chase / . / Man Caught Wife With Another Man On Their Matrimonial Bed (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.