Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan (25084 Views)

2022 AFCON: Nigeria, Egypt, Cameroon Seeded Ahead Of Draws / Nigeria's Golden Eaglets Qualify For U17 AFCON After Victory Over Burkina Faso / CAF Announce Host For 2019 AFCON After Stripping Off Cameroon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by robosky02(m): 10:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
Sudan deny Bafana Afcon spot
Bafana Bafana failed to qualify for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations after a 2-0 loss to Sudan in the final qualifier match of Group C on Sunday evening.

Bafana coach Molefi Ntseki made four changes, with Thabang Monare, Ben Motshwari, Lebohang Maboe and Luther Singh all drafted into the line-up.

Bafana had a horrible start as they were on back foot from the fifth minute after Saifeldin Bakhit gave Sudan the lead with a towering header.

Ntseki's charges were getting a lot of chances after that but they could not bury them, with the Sudanese shot-stopper also on top of his game.

Bafana were caught on a counter-attack in the 32nd minute as Mohamed Abdel Raman went on a run from the wing, burst his way inside the box and fired a powerful strike past goalkeper Ronwen Williams at the near post.

Sudan were defending deep in their own half in the closing stages of the first stanza, which did well to restrict Bafana in the final third as they went in search of a goal.

The visitors had a chance to pull a goal back ten minutes from the break after Thapelo Morena chipped a cross towards the back post but Motshwari's shot was saved by Eshrein.

Ntseki raised eyebrows with the substitution of Percy Tau on the hour-mark, bringing on defender Sifiso Hlanti on his place, in a triple substitution that also included the introduction of Ruzaigh Gamildien and Lyle Foster.

Morena should have pulled a goal back for South Africa in the last quarter of an hour after going clear on goal inside the six-yard box but his low shot was saved by Eshrein.

Sudan were defending in numbers in the closing minutes, with Bafana unable to break them down as the hosts held on to claim a 2-0 win that booked them a spot at Afcon after finishing second while Bafana failed to qualify in third place.

Confirmed line-ups:

Bafana: Williams, Hlatshwayo, Maela, Xulu, Monare, Motshwari, Morena, Zwane, Maboe, Singh, Tau

Subs: Khune, Hlanti, Martin, Kutumela, Phete, Mbule, Gamildien, Nodada, Mvala, Lebusa, Pule, Foster
https://www.kickoff.com/news/articles/south-africa-news/categories/news/sa-national-teams/2022-africa-cup-of-nations-qualifier-match

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by azeeza(f): 11:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
Bafana Bayana.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:37pm On Mar 28, 2021
I honestly don't understand the kind of football South Africans play. It looks kind of funny with some amateurish dribbles and skills. The type that can't produce result at any global level of footballing competition. They like to play like a typical European team but they do not posses the Europeans skills. And they are too soft as an African team.

I knew Sudan would defeat them. I'm not surprised, but I'll miss them at afcon.

163 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by TMKsouth: 11:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
Should stick to rugby, cricket and athleticscry But Banyana Banyana are impressive cool

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by IronGalaxy: 12:22am On Mar 29, 2021
OROSUNBOLB:
I honestly don't understand the kind of football South Africans play. It looks kind of funny with some amateurish dribbles and skills. The type that can't produce result at any global level of footballing competition. They like to play like a typical European team but they do not posses the Europeans skills. And they are too soft as an African team.

The South African team has never been physical, our strengths has traditionally been speed and skill. We've always struggled against taller and more physical west African teams

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by IronGalaxy: 12:22am On Mar 29, 2021
TMKsouth:
Should stick to rugby, cricket and athleticscry But Banyana Banyana are impressive cool
Core of our problems has always been wrong team selections imo.

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by TMKsouth: 12:26am On Mar 29, 2021
IronGalaxy:
Core of our problems has always been wrong team selections imo.

I gave up on these guys 5 years ago. Let's invest in Banyana.

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by IronGalaxy: 12:38am On Mar 29, 2021
TMKsouth:

I gave up on these guys 5 years ago. Let's invest in Banyana.
Very disappointing, there's money, facilities, talent etc ..

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Tolexander: 3:58am On Mar 29, 2021
OROSUNBOLB:

The only thing I will miss about South Africa in AFCON is the perennial beating they do receive from the Nigerian team

177 Likes 5 Shares

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by OROSUNBOLB(m): 5:26am On Mar 29, 2021
IronGalaxy:
The South African team has never been physical, our strengths has traditionally been speed and skill. We've always struggled against taller and more physical west African teams

I wish your team good luck next time.

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by BuhariM(m): 5:41am On Mar 29, 2021
Super eagles will definitely win the trophy.

Like if you believe

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Monogamy: 5:42am On Mar 29, 2021
Those one no sabi anything about football except Rugby

6 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by gfon(m): 5:43am On Mar 29, 2021
How the mighty has fallen!!! Never underestimate anyone.
Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by elmessiahs(m): 5:44am On Mar 29, 2021
Good morning nairalanders, football is not actually their thing, they are good in other sports

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by rentAcock(m): 5:44am On Mar 29, 2021
What darfur?

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Ramon92: 5:44am On Mar 29, 2021
OROSUNBOLB:

lol, I see their league and I'm sure it's only shooting practice they do at training.

17 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by theTranslator: 5:45am On Mar 29, 2021
Now their pride would reduce
Bafana bafana my left foot

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Asianjollof007: 5:46am On Mar 29, 2021
G'morning..
Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Cousin9999: 5:46am On Mar 29, 2021
Is anyone surprised?

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Duplexxx: 5:46am On Mar 29, 2021
South Africa are not good with football

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Lawsaite: 5:48am On Mar 29, 2021
cheesy
Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by sexiestharam(f): 5:49am On Mar 29, 2021
South Africa always bragging about football prowess when they play trash! They should stick with rugby! grin

13 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by lexy2014: 5:50am On Mar 29, 2021
IronGalaxy:

SA has one of d best rugby traditions in d world yet it can't play physical football

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Nairalandwizerd(m): 5:53am On Mar 29, 2021
That's bad
Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by induka(m): 5:57am On Mar 29, 2021
when you like the game the game no like you

15 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by Simplebeauty: 5:58am On Mar 29, 2021
grin
Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by yrex01(m): 5:58am On Mar 29, 2021
DSTV won’t b happy bout this

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by BOOOMNAIJA: 6:00am On Mar 29, 2021
The megalomaniacs with loud mouth and big heads fell to a lowly ranked Darfur...wat a pity! grin grin

12 Likes

Re: South Africa Failed To Qualify For The 2022 AFCON After A 2-0 Lose To Sudan by MilesLamar(m): 6:01am On Mar 29, 2021
They have the best league in Africa, but their National team never fails to disappoint.. Damnit.

40 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Wins 2019 UEFA Champions League Forward Of The Year Award / Breaking News: Nigeria Beats FIFA Deadline, Maigari ToReturn / Mourinho Makes History With Serie A's Longest Unbeaten Home Run in Roma win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.