Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. (853 Views)

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold / Apostle Suleman Praying In His Private Jet. Video Emerges (Photos) / Man Goes Mad After Prolonged Fasting And Praying (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by Nobody: 11:04am On Apr 02, 2021
hoopernikao:

Show me a teaching in the scriptures that taught tongues as human language. Or was tongue not taught in the Bible. Show me a teaching that affirmed tongues as human language.
That is where to start from.

From the book of Acts of the Apostles:
2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

You were saying...?
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by hoopernikao: 9:44am On Apr 07, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

From the book of Acts of the Apostles:
2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

You were saying...?

Is this a teaching or an event?
Events aren't teaching, we can learn from it but lessons from events must be guided by what was taught and explained. So when disputing doctrine (teaching), teachings must explain teachings.

Acts 2 events won't mean a different thing from other teachings to establish a doctrine. So explain a teaching in the Bible in that light that taught tongues as human language.

So, I asked you to point to a teaching in the scriptures on tongues as human language.
Tongues were taught in the Bible, examine all the teaching and point to one that taught it as human language.
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:51am On Apr 08, 2021
hoopernikao:

Is this a teaching or an event?
Events aren't teaching, we can learn from it but lessons from events must be guided by what was taught and explained. So when disputing doctrine (teaching), teachings must explain teachings.

Acts 2 events won't mean a different thing from other teachings to establish a doctrine. So explain a teaching in the Bible in that light that taught tongues as human language.

So, I asked you to point to a teaching in the scriptures on tongues as human language.
Tongues were taught in the Bible, examine all the teaching and point to one that taught it as human language.

Ok. I got your point. Let's throw away the events in the Bible as they are irrelevant. Only teachings should be focused on. Thanks. But no thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by hoopernikao: 9:03pm On Apr 08, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

Ok. I got your point. Let's throw away the events in the Bible as they are irrelevant. Only teachings should be focused on. Thanks. But no thanks.

I am not sure how you read my quote, but I hope it's not right to left because I am wondering where your response point to.

But if that's what you got, I am not responsible.

But next time don't raise point you can't defend from the scriptures.

Thank you Sir.
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by Nobody: 6:05am On Apr 10, 2021
hoopernikao:

I am not sure how you read my quote, but I hope it's not right to left because I am wondering where your response point to.

But if that's what you got, I am not responsible.

But next time don't raise point you can't defend from the scriptures.

Thank you Sir.

Point I can't defend? Did you understand your post at all. I gave you an event in the Bible which showed speaking in tongues involved human languages, and you said I couldn't use an event to prove it, but a teaching. In case you don't understand what you're hitting at let me help you: you were insinuating that the teachings in the Bible are contradictory to the practical events that happened based on said teachings. I don't know how you expect me to take you seriously with that notion.
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by hoopernikao: 6:35pm On Apr 10, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

Point I can't defend? Did you understand your post at all. I gave you an event in the Bible which showed speaking in tongues involved human languages, and you said I couldn't use an event to prove it, but a teaching. In case you don't understand what you're hitting at let me help you: you were insinuating that the teachings in the Bible are contradictory to the practical events that happened based on said teachings. I don't know how you expect me to take you seriously with that notion.

Please go back and read what i wrote not what is on your mind. Sometimes we end up reading our mind because we arent properly reading what is written.

I said give me a teaching in the Bible. You started speaking for me on contradiction of scriptures. Did you see that in what i wrote?
Why is it hard to point to a teaching in the Bible on tongues?

Does the bible teaches tongues? YES
At least we have 5 different chapters where tongues was taught, we have at least 4 different chapters mentioning tongues as events. 8 chapters never had such explanations or teaching of tongues as human lanaguage.

So, why cant you show me one of the teaching as human language? Is it hard to show or it wasnt taught at all as human language. So, why creating issues with this.

I asked again,
Give me a teaching that taught tongues as human language in all the teaching of tongues in the Bible, you dont need to create issues with that. Why cant you point to a single teaching if bible teaches tongues. Or does that mean you already know there is no teaching on human tongues? So, what was taught then? This is what i asked you do to. Dont rush to conclusion of contradictions. Its your thought not mine.

So, where does the scriptures teaches tongues as human language in all its teaching. This is simply what i asked you to do, we dont need a forth and back argument, just point to a teaching and explain please.
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 12, 2021
hoopernikao:

Please go back and read what i wrote not what is on your mind. Sometimes we end up reading our mind because we arent properly reading what is written.

I said give me a teaching in the Bible. You started speaking for me on contradiction of scriptures. Did you see that in what i wrote?
Why is it hard to point to a teaching in the Bible on tongues?

Does the bible teaches tongues? YES
At least we have 5 different chapters where tongues was taught, we have at least 4 different chapters mentioning tongues as events. 8 chapters never had such explanations or teaching of tongues as human lanaguage.

So, why cant you show me one of the teaching as human language? Is it hard to show or it wasnt taught at all as human language. So, why creating issues with this.

I asked again,
Give me a teaching that taught tongues as human language in all the teaching of tongues in the Bible, you dont need to create issues with that. Why cant you point to a single teaching if bible teaches tongues. Or does that mean you already know there is no teaching on human tongues? So, what was taught then? This is what i asked you do to. Dont rush to conclusion of contradictions. Its your thought not mine.

So, where does the scriptures teaches tongues as human language in all its teaching. This is simply what i asked you to do, we dont need a forth and back argument, just point to a teaching and explain please.

Can the Bible teach a topic and still go against the topic by the events which depict the topic?
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by hoopernikao: 10:21am On Apr 13, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

Can the Bible teach a topic and still go against the topic by the events which depict the topic?

The bible cant but YOU can. Yes, a PERSON can misinterpret either the teaching or the events or both. This is the reason i asked you to explain bible teaching on this.

But why taking it long. Arent there teaching in scriptures? All i asked for is a teaching that support your interpretation.

So, does the teaching of tongues in the scriptures support YOUR interpretation of the event you pointed or YOUR conclusion on tongues? If yes, show the teaching and explain. That is all i asked for.
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 13, 2021
hoopernikao:

The bible cant but YOU can. Yes, a PERSON can misinterpret either the teaching or the events or both. This is the reason i asked you to explain bible teaching on this.

But why taking it long. Arent there teaching in scriptures? All i asked for is a teaching that support your interpretation.

So, does the teaching of tongues in the scriptures support YOUR interpretation of the event you pointed or YOUR conclusion on tongues? If yes, show the teaching and explain. That is all i asked for.

So other people hearing the disciples speaking in tongues in a language they could understand in the Acts 2 was me misinterpreting the Bible? I'd love you to explain what actually happened in Acts chapter two. Mental gymnastics are allowed. Please, go on. Let's see.
Re: The Wholesomeness Of Speaking And Praying In Tongues. by hoopernikao: 11:31am On Apr 14, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

So other people hearing the disciples speaking in tongues in a language they could understand in the Acts 2 was me misinterpreting the Bible? I'd love you to explain what actually happened in Acts chapter two. Mental gymnastics are allowed. Please, go on. Let's see.

Why are you avoiding the key discourse here. Cant you explain scriptures or you have what you are hiding?

Go into the teaching, the doctrine of tongues and explain. Stop snippet and size-jumping. You are touching a key doctrine of the scriptures, yet you cant explain a single text where it was taught. It is laziness to be fixative on a verse and avoid other instances. Compare and explain other instances with your Acts 2 explanation. Why is this hard to do for you? Let me help you.

Genesis 11 - Tongues
Isaiah 28 - Tongues
Mark 16:15-18 - Tongues
Acts 2 - Tongues
Acts 8 - Tongues
Acts 10 - Tongues
Acts 19 - Tongues
1 Cor 12 - Tongues
1 Cor 14 - Tongues

Go and read them and explain the body of the scriptures than hiding under a text.

I have asked you the fifth time now. Show a teaching of tongues in the bible that explain tongues as human language. Or does Acts 2 contradict the other scriptures that you cant point to them and explain. What is your fear. Go into the scriptures and lay it out here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Important Ways To Be A Child Of God / In Harness With Jesus By Pastor Kaakyire / Devil And Satan Are God's Servants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.