Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? (16787 Views)

Can This Be Termed Exam Malpractice? / The Love Letter A Secondary School Boy Sent To His Teacher, Chioma (pics) / ICPC Arraigns VC Of Richmond Open University With Secondary School Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Eriokanmi: 9:20am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes and yes! It depends on how you developed yourself as an individual. I've seen a secondary school student who wrote and passed ICAN while graduates kept repeating the ican professional courses. A secondary shool certificate holder can rule a nation and that's why our constitution pegged the minimum requirement for president to WAEC. All the BScs, MScs/MAs and PHDs are irrelevant in this regard.

In summary, Education is a thing of the mind and not the amount of certificates you've garnered.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by illicit(m): 9:21am On Dec 02, 2023
Education is a relative term

If you can read and write, you are formally educated

If you learn a skill, you are educated in that field...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Onyeigbo10000: 9:21am On Dec 02, 2023
100% yes.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by timilehin007(m): 9:22am On Dec 02, 2023
gameova:
Lol the question is Soo funny. Wtf
How pls, I want to learn from your perspective view of the question
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Deepspirituals: 9:22am On Dec 02, 2023
I'm a School Cert.Holder , I think you should Comprehensively shed more light on the perspective you are looking at it from .

What is your own Definition of " Education ,Educated " Just like myself ,I've seen more School Cert. Holder that are more sound exceptionally in Academics.

Talk about Intelligent ,Grammatical Construction ,Versatility ,Exposition ,Applications, Practicability and handling of Responsibilities ...You will be Astonished .

If you are talking about Objectivity Professional Discipline Like Engineering ,Medical Doctor ..That is different ...

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by victory36(m): 9:22am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes of course. Education is not related to whatever certificate you have. It is dependent on your ability to think. A university degree is just a certificate to show that you underwent training in a certain area of expertise and is not even a measure of intelligence. I know a lot of graduates who can't even construct a simple sentence or who still believe in superstition. My father is a primary school graduate but he speaks better English and is smarter than most lecturers in the university I attended

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Beverlyjean(f): 9:22am On Dec 02, 2023
LIGHTROOM:
What kind of question is this?
Who told you that every University graduate is educated?
There are so many graduate who cannot speak good English while you will see a secondary School certificate holder very sound and sharp.

Speaking correct English doesn't determine if a person is educator not.... if a person is fluent in English but never attended basic school like secondary school...then that person is uneducated
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Xpol: 9:22am On Dec 02, 2023
Hmm. Most public secondary schools in Nigeria produce more illiterates, some of my secondary school mates then couldn't even read.

Most of my teachers had other businesses they prioritized. Some are: into timber cutting, cocoa merchant,etc they mostly gave note to one of the students to write for us. Even my maths teacher came to school once in a while.

Sometimes I used meaningful self constructed grammars that really sounded like an English grammars to ask questions from my English teacher. He would just answered with idea and the rest of the students would be shouting "grammarian"

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by AntiChristian: 9:22am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes, an SSCE holder is educated and can be a president...
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by useni1: 9:23am On Dec 02, 2023
Going to university is not education. University is a brainwashing camp. Nobody should be proud of going to university

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Babangidapikin: 9:23am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes very educated sef ..provided they are dedicated to life long learning of actionable skills .... not dy/dx that you might not ever use ..

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by BigDawsNet: 9:24am On Dec 02, 2023
Partially...

You need to go to high school amd also earn a college degree atleast...

4 year Higher education will teach you lots of things you won't get with high school
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Macphenson: 9:25am On Dec 02, 2023
CJStarz:

Bros,I hope you have no 'covenant' with any of them?😂

lol

This guy u no seriousoo. Make Oyedepo catch u

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Deepspirituals: 9:25am On Dec 02, 2023
Seequadry:
Education is all about knowledge and knowledge can be gotten somewhere else aside school...

School is not the only source of getting knowledge anymore

Pesin wey no go secondary school fit dey educated pass who finish uni

He/she jst need to write some exams to prove it
. Right !
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by LIGHTROOM: 9:25am On Dec 02, 2023
Beverlyjean:

Speaking correct English doesn't determine if a person is educator not.... if a person is fluent in English but never attended basic school like secondary school...then that person is uneducated

What is your point?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Advancedman(m): 9:26am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

Even kindergarten and someone who never visited the four wall of a building called school.

Education isn't what is taught in your presume classroom only.
From the moment one is born he or she is open to be educated.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by NinjaMetahuman: 9:26am On Dec 02, 2023
So if you are attending secondary school, you are not going there to get educated? You are going their to play?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by rex21: 9:26am On Dec 02, 2023
Clearly, a lot of nairalanders don't even know what education is. Education has little to do with schooling. First, There is formal and informal education. while formal education is based on the school you talked about, informal education has nothing to do with school.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Hotice085: 9:26am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

You are a disgrace to your parents for asking such a very useless question

I blame Seun for all this nonsense
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by oliverwrites: 9:27am On Dec 02, 2023
Brunosamel:
Yes, it depends on the individual and how exposed he is intellectually, being educated is different from schooling...
I have a friend who is full of intellects, he can read very well, speak very well and write very well, he expose his mind with lots of books and activities, everything is has done are self thought and he understands life way better now some of our universities counterparts....

So the answer is yes, you can be a secondary school graduate and be educated....
I left class room education at SS1, two master degree holders are in my employment.

People wrongly think class room education is the only way people can be educated.

5 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Mayeldah(m): 9:27am On Dec 02, 2023
omoladunniyo:
Even nd,hnd,nce is not educated.

getat!!

Your last President only had a WAEC certificate that can't be verified. You that has a PHD, what have you achieved in life?

Certificate is just paper, a lot of ND holders are doing better than you currently in this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by CJStarz: 9:27am On Dec 02, 2023
Macphenson:

lol

This guy u no seriousoo. Make Oyedepo catch u
See me see wahala 😂
Wetin come concern my comment with Baba Oyedepo?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by barinedan(m): 9:27am On Dec 02, 2023
Some secondary school certificate holders are far better than most graduates
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by gameova(m): 9:28am On Dec 02, 2023
timilehin007:

How pls, I want to learn from your perspective view of the question
Education is of the mindset. Someone who knows what he/she was doing in the secondary school and paid full attention to teachers and book study and also gave all the best in exams and aced it all is educated.

Exception is those that partake in exam malpractice and miracle center and wasn't paying attention in classes or books and even missing many classes outrightly.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by ceejayluv(m): 9:28am On Dec 02, 2023
If na special center certificate holder who never read and passed an exam even once in their life, then No.

If it's the like of Kamsi Umeh... Then a hard YES.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by WeedAddict: 9:28am On Dec 02, 2023
CJStarz:

Bros,I hope you have no 'covenant' with any of them?😂
I saw what you did there ejeh!!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by CJStarz: 9:30am On Dec 02, 2023
WeedAddict:

I saw what you did there ejeh!!! grin grin

Wetin be dat?
😂😂
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by 1TrippleCee: 9:32am On Dec 02, 2023
Beverlyjean:
Absolutely.... University or college( usa) is basically for careers preparation

Another mistake Nigerians make, is thinking that graduates are only those that completed university education... a person that completed secondary school education is also a graduate

What an astute human being you are. Brilliantly said
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by omoredia: 9:32am On Dec 02, 2023
A Nigerian PHD holder is still uneducated
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by shortgun(m): 9:33am On Dec 02, 2023
naijadrivablog:
Yes na. Most of the "higher" institutions you attended are glorified secondary schools.

Make I no just call name.
Stop this nonsense.
There's no tertiary Institution that will ever be at par with any secondary school.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:34am On Dec 02, 2023
Someone with primary and junior secondary has basic education. So definitely haven truly completed secondary school one is educated. Any further formal education is higher education.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by nedekid: 9:35am On Dec 02, 2023
Ofcourse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For 2016/17 TNRI Scholarship / After Years Of Graduation, Can You Still Define Your Course Of Study? / Practical Neco Specimen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.