Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? (16789 Views)

Can This Be Termed Exam Malpractice? / The Love Letter A Secondary School Boy Sent To His Teacher, Chioma (pics) / ICPC Arraigns VC Of Richmond Open University With Secondary School Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by InvertedHammer: 2:59pm On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

/
YES!

Education has to do with learning that's why it is divided into formal (structured school) and informal (others).

However, Nigerians are known to misuse the term just as much as they misuse "illiterate--inability to read or write"

/
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Shawl001(m): 3:01pm On Dec 02, 2023
Yes,
And there's a difference between Being Educated and Being Certified.

One speaks louder on the long run, than the other.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by destinytreasure(m): 3:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
What is this Education of a thing self. You go school, I stay house read. I com even sabi book pass you wey go school, so who's educated. Some people wey no dey educated for school don hammer, you wey be professor still dey sell handouts to survive, yet still dey claim educated.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Rejouir: 3:16pm On Dec 02, 2023
TradingGod:
what about the govenors like yahaya bello of kogi state and professor ben ayade of cross river state? undecided
yahaya, was imposed on kogi people same as hope uzodinmma, and some degrees are bought, with money.

You see this country, juat forget, about this country and focus on your hustle. This country can't get better.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Johncuppa(m): 3:38pm On Dec 02, 2023
Guyman01:
I feel ashamed when I saw the kind of very poor sentences from some of my course mates in the higher institution, they couldn't write a simple report that made sense, meanwhile, some of my classmates in secondary school published books without getting any higher education, I see these ones as educated and some of my course mates as school attendees, we have a WhatsApp group and they will never comment because they can't put words together without errors and some of them occupy positions in civil service
😋
Did you attend college of education?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by MrBroke(m): 4:45pm On Dec 02, 2023
Education is not in a certificate, it is what you have upstairs and what is occupying your brain ROM.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by bizzibodi(m): 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2023
Why not I have ask my self if I did not go to d university will I still be enlightened as I am...yes of course knowledge, education can be gotten outside the 4 walls of d university.
Just be versatile lay your hands on books on diverse disciplines read & comprehend:science,engineering,laws, technology,literatures, religion etc
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by dontrulee: 5:59pm On Dec 02, 2023
I'm surprised that no one talked about the three level of education.

The primary level of education is when a person completes primary school but didn't progress to secondary school.

Secondary level of education is when one finishes from secondary school but didn't progress to the higher institution

And tertiary level of education is one who finished from the higher institution
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by efficiencie(m): 7:00pm On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

Yes. Education is in your thoughts, words and deeds not on a piece of paper. If you need an example, study the life of Srinivasa Ramanujan.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by aremubabs: 7:45pm On Dec 02, 2023
Procashtips:

Ability to comprehend is also a feature of education.

No where in my post did I saw both are the only features.

Before you can think of other features, you must have acquired these 2 first.

You wrote that they are BASIC features... They are basic features of formal education.

An illiterate can be regarded as educated.

An illiterate farmer can tend his farm better than a formally educated person who has never been on a farm.

My great grandfather was a surgeon before colonialism. He was illiterate (could not read and write), but educated in medicine. He knew herbs like the back of his hands.

When the colonialists came, the ones in my village relied on my great grand father's knowledge of herbal medicine.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Procashtips(m): 9:11pm On Dec 02, 2023
aremubabs:

You wrote that they are BASIC features... They are basic features of formal education.

An illiterate can be regarded as educated.

An illiterate farmer can tend his farm better than a formally educated person who has never been on a farm.

My great grandfather was a surgeon before colonialism. He was illiterate (could not read and write), but educated in medicine. He knew herbs like the back of his hands.

When the colonialists came, the ones in my village relied on my great grand father's knowledge of herbal medicine.

I'm lost.

What's the argument on again?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by aremubabs: 7:52am On Dec 03, 2023
Procashtips:

I'm lost.

What's the argument on again?

Literacy is not a basic feature of education.

It is a basic feature of formal education. But education is more than just formal education.

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Miracle4325: 9:13am On Dec 03, 2023
[q

Can you marry a secondary school graduate? uote author=Beverlyjean post=127273826]Absolutely.... University or college( usa) is basically for careers preparation

Another mistake Nigerians make, is thinking that graduates are only those that completed university education... a person that completed secondary school education is also a graduate [/quote]
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Beverlyjean(f): 11:07am On Dec 03, 2023
Miracle4325:
[q

Can you marry a secondary school graduate? uote author=Beverlyjean post=127273826]Absolutely.... University or college( usa) is basically for careers preparation

Another mistake Nigerians make, is thinking that graduates are only those that completed university education... a person that completed secondary school education is also a graduate

Why not?? If he speaks eloquently, looks good , smart and polished and then has a thriving business
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Procashtips(m): 2:49pm On Dec 03, 2023
aremubabs:

Literacy is not a basic feature of education.

It is a basic feature of formal education. But education is more than just formal education.

Read within context

The OP is talking about formal education.

Not talking about general education.

Again, comprehension is a big part of education.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TrustNone: 10:00pm On Dec 03, 2023
Beverlyjean:

Why not?? If he speaks eloquently, looks good , smart and polished and then has a thriving business
you this useless scammer.. hands go touch you soon.
You'll miserably pay for insulting my father on this forum.
Thank God I had to gag you firstly on this forum by ensuring the mods slam your smelly ass with a ban.
Watch how I'll degrade you on this forum and you can't defend yourself cos you have been banned.
I'll make you pay for insulting my dad that I hold dearly.
Idiot.
I'm about to create several threads now calling you out for scamming me and let me watch how you'll comment and defend yourself.
Las las you go abandon this moniker create new one cos you don cast already
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by beverlyjean2: 11:11pm On Dec 03, 2023
TrustNone:

Mynd44
Seun
Dominique
OAM4J
Justwise

Rule 19 Don't use alternate accounts to access Nairaland after being banned. If you do, make sure we don't find out.
Main moniker
https://www.nairaland.com/beverlyjean

I have passed my message...u can Bleep off with ur good for nothing useless father

U also have over 30 account as people have reported u and u should be banned as well...u have been insulting others and should shouldbe banned as well... u insulted me first and i gave u back the taste of ur medicine and u ran to report...coward , just like ur father ...u have also been insulting others calling them stupid illiterates ...u insulted me first and I gave it back to u... Bleep off pig and ur rat of a dad

U think u can lie against me and create threads to spread lies...I have reported u to the mods with proof... I am ready for u...

Let the same modes see what I attached...that's Rule 2 , 3 and 8 all at once with Rule 19 as well

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TrustNone: 12:53am On Dec 04, 2023
beverlyjean2:

I have passed my message...u can Bleep off with ur good for nothing useless father

U also have over 30 account as people have reported u and u should be banned as well...u have been insulting others and should shouldbe banned as well... u insulted me first and i gave u back the taste of ur medicine and u ran to report...coward , just like ur father ...u have also been insulting others calling them stupid illiterates ...u insulted me first and I gave it back to u... Bleep off pig and ur rat of a dad

U think u can lie against me and create threads to spread lies...I have reported u to the mods with proof... I am ready for u...

Let the same modes see what I attached...that's Rule 2 , 3 and 8 all at once with Rule 19 as well
Mynd44
Seun
Dominique
Oam4J
Justwise

Rule 2, 8 and 19
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by aremubabs: 5:30am On Dec 05, 2023
Procashtips:

Read within context

The OP is talking about formal education.

Not talking about general education.

Again, comprehension is a big part of education.

The OP didn't know any better obviously.

You keep repeating that comprehension is a big part of education. This, yet again, is another of your many fallacies. You have a lot to learn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Practical Neco Specimen / 2013/2014 Federal University Of Agriculture Makurdi Aspirants / Uniport Graduates 78 First Class Out Of 5473 Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.