Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? (16784 Views)

Can This Be Termed Exam Malpractice? / The Love Letter A Secondary School Boy Sent To His Teacher, Chioma (pics) / ICPC Arraigns VC Of Richmond Open University With Secondary School Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by aremubabs: 11:39am On Dec 02, 2023
Procashtips:
Primary and secondary education is basic education.

So yes, he or she is educated.

Ability to read and write is the basic features of education.

Ability to read and write is literacy. It may be a part of some forms of education, but not all forms of education.

If we considered that certain civilizations did not have written languages and yet created/invented things, it meant that we have had illiterate inventors or even scientists.

Formal education has caused us to narrow down on the definition of education.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by HRMK: 11:42am On Dec 02, 2023
many of them are even better than present day universty graduates!
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Ozone007: 11:42am On Dec 02, 2023
Education is in the mindset and not some trash cert...

shabi you go use mindset take go look for work?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by God2man2again(m): 11:46am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes and as a matter of fact, he or she is a graduate.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by maxzzo1(m): 11:47am On Dec 02, 2023
B4 !!! Even people use NEPA bill as certificate dey dis con3.... cool
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by SPAMBOX7: 11:49am On Dec 02, 2023
I am a uni drop out but I can do and comprehend things 65% of Nigerian graduates can only imagine. Most of them are awed at my delivery and they never hesitate to confess.

And you the ip, the fact you mistake education for having a uni degree etc already disqualifies you as an educated person. If you are really educated you wouldn't ask that cos you suppose know normal. So let's say you just went to school..simple!

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by DrAda(f): 11:52am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by IamHonourable1: 11:56am On Dec 02, 2023
Firstly, check the meaning of the word 'educated'.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by sync(f): 11:56am On Dec 02, 2023
Educated but not well schooled
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by beardedboy(m): 11:58am On Dec 02, 2023
acorntree:
Why categorise web development and data analysis with carpentry, hairdressing etc. if you're not well educated you can't do web development and data analysis
They're the same. Secondary school education is the same thing with those skills. As long as you have a sound secondary school English, Maths and maybe further maths, you're ready to learn web development.

And what you need for data analysis and a large part of ML is secondary school maths and further maths.

What's in web development that a secondary school graduate can't learn?

You only need a degree and specialization if you want to be a software engineer or a Deep Learning Scientist. Those ones require higher maths, computer science and stuff.

But learning html, CSS, react, laravel, Django, mysql, postgresql and deploying on Aws or digital ocean really requires no degree in my opinion. Attend a bootcamp, continue learning and practicing for two/four years and you'll be wonderful. But spending five years to earn a degree then coming back to start afresh is a most unproductive lifestyle.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Faposky95: 11:59am On Dec 02, 2023
Brunosamel:
Yes, it depends on the individual and how exposed he is intellectually, being educated is different from schooling...
I have a friend who is full of intellects, he can read very well, speak very well and write very well, he expose his mind with lots of books and activities, everything is has done are self thought and he understands life way better now some of our universities counterparts....

So the answer is yes, you can be a secondary school graduate and be educated....

By the time I was through secondary school....I could do all things
My GFs were much older.than I was with my baby pecker but they loved my intellect and educated talk.....we ended up in cosy sessions
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Rejouir: 12:36pm On Dec 02, 2023
TradingGod:

Hmmmm so all the past governors that failed to deliver are all uneducated abi?

See your reasoning? undecided
Indeed going to school does not mean that you are educated
Obasanjo did well, and his well educated.

Goodluck did well, but Nigerians are ungrateful people. Yaradua is well educated but nature didn't let him.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by carurdey: 12:36pm On Dec 02, 2023
We are all Educated. If you don't have formal Education you will have informal education.

Education even starts from home.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Gerrard59(m): 12:38pm On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

Yes, depending on the school and grades obtained in WASSCE.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by greggng: 12:43pm On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

Anybody that can read and write is termed educated. Secondary school person even surpasses the standard . Although there are levels in education....
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Melchizedek3(m): 12:51pm On Dec 02, 2023
The fact that one went to school does not mean they are educated. There are university graduates who are not educated and there are individuals who didn't have the opportunity to go to school but by their character, you can see how very educated they are
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
Of course! It's more valuable than a fake Chicago certificate.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Procashtips(m): 1:07pm On Dec 02, 2023
aremubabs:

Ability to read and write is literacy. It may be a part of some forms of education, but not all forms of education.

If we considered that certain civilizations did not have written languages and yet created/invented things, it meant that we have had illiterate inventors or even scientists.

Formal education has caused us to narrow down on the definition of education.

Ability to comprehend is also a feature of education.

No where in my post did I saw both are the only features.

Before you can think of other features, you must have acquired these 2 first.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
Of course! More educated than fake local and international certificate peddlers.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TradingGod: 1:14pm On Dec 02, 2023
Rejouir:
Obasanjo did well, and his well educated.

Goodluck did well, but Nigerians are ungrateful people. Yaradua is well educated but nature didn't let him.
what about the govenors like yahaya bello of kogi state and professor ben ayade of cross river state? undecided
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:16pm On Dec 02, 2023
Is secondary school no longer a college in Nigeria
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by nmike554: 1:25pm On Dec 02, 2023
see below

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by ozo13(m): 1:33pm On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
yeah.its called secondary level of education and can use it to seek some form of employment ie president /VP down the trend, army recruit , police , civil defense and others where as someone with primary certificate can not seek any form of employment in govt ministry weda a cleaner or security job
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Beverlyjean(f): 1:42pm On Dec 02, 2023
TrustNone:
secondary school leaver spotted. stop consoling yourself with mediocrity.
Try all possible means and gain admission to the university and graduate.
E get why

U are an educated illiterate.... you obviously haven't travelled out of the country b4...so u can never know
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by nihinlade(m): 2:02pm On Dec 02, 2023
Yes, if the person allowed the secondary school to pass through him really he is educated.

While I was in Secondary School (even just SS 1), I could boldly say that I was educated.

So it is not until you bag a degree before you are educated!
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Zakarara(m): 2:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
Even Primary school self.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by steeltrust: 2:12pm On Dec 02, 2023
Beverlyjean:
Absolutely.... University or college( usa) is basically for careers preparation

Another mistake Nigerians make, is thinking that graduates are only those that completed university education... a person that completed secondary school education is also a graduate
they don’t even care about that anymore
Just get the industry standard certification
You will see jobs chasing you
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by SulaimanQosim: 2:22pm On Dec 02, 2023
Yes
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by larrypappyy(m): 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2023
Yes
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by achorladey: 2:43pm On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:

formal education

informal education

semi formal education

all na education
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by EbiJUNIRO(m): 2:45pm On Dec 02, 2023
Yes
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TrustNone: 2:56pm On Dec 02, 2023
Beverlyjean:

U are an educated illiterate.... you obviously haven't travelled out of the country b4...so u can never know
says a pained jambite.
You go cry tire

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For 2016/17 TNRI Scholarship / Departmental Jupeb Cutoff Mark For 2015/16 Batch / After Years Of Graduation, Can You Still Define Your Course Of Study?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.