Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,589 members, 7,955,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:42 PM

Do I Need To Quit My Job ? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do I Need To Quit My Job ? (27492 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Juju Scare: Should I Quit My Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Finemoore: 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2021
Muhylonaire007:
Omo... This life no balance at all.
Person wey get head no get cap to wear am, person wey come get cap no get head.
I know family men that earn way less than you and they are not thinking of suicide. O boy!!!!
That your 85k job is what some pray for.
Well, human wants are insatiable sha.

Just continue with your job and learn driving legbe kan, you can combine both uber and your job. You will be fine
Walahi fa... For the past 3yrs now, I earn 30k as salary in Lagos.. A 31yrs old man for that matter. I look up and down, where do I start from? The thought of marry is busy nacking my brain but how? I am ND holder try to gather to go for my HND but no hope yet, still thought of suicide will never cross my mind because I know is against my faith. I am so confused as I am typing this right now.

5 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by jwax: 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2021
Between 2018 to 2020 I worked and earned 60k monthly as a single guy but the salary was never enough because of other commitments to family.

Mind you my office was trekkable and I wasn't even partying or frivolous but I still found it hard to save... I can understand your pain as a family man earning that amount in this economy of ours.

These salary jobs are not worth it, they are modern day slavery. I had to quit my job with frustration and went into streets to hustle like a school dropout out.

Skin looks burnt, face looks rough but it is better I hustle under the sun legally and be able to feed myself and earn well than to stay under AC in an office slaving for 100k.

For your case, I will advise you exercise patience give yourself 18months target to raise the money for the car and also your wife in this situation must step up and support with some of the bills for the main time.... Once you get the car do not look back, quit that job... Don't even think of combining the bolt driving and your job, just quit and give your hustle your best...

I bet You, you will experience frustration from law enforcement agencies in the first months of you starting but don't give up. With time you will look back and smile...

It has been less than a year since I resigned from paid employment and I am grateful to God for taking that decision to quit.

Shalom!

4 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by ajutant(m): 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

I have been having this thought of quitting my job to learn driving in order to pick up an UBER or BOLT job but the fear of getting a car on hire purchase is always coming as an hindrance.

I am a family man whose salary of just #85,000 is not even enough to cater for the family .Before the salary even comes in, there are always debts that have been incurred.

Most times,I dont even get up to #20,000 as a result of debts and seriously I am fed up. Infact , I think of suicide sometimes because i am so depressed right now. I have rent of #140,000 hanging on my neck too.

Please will it be wise to quit to learn driving for purpose of commercial driving job?

Please whatever happens, suicide is no go area. Dont't think about it again. I have similar situation with you, my salary is 85k as well, I borrowed money to buy corolla for uber which I will start next week. All you need is positive mind, you can reach out for help provided you are specific on what you want to do. Things are hard and frustrating but NEVER SUICIDE. It is well.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by omoharry(f): 12:31pm On Apr 01, 2021
janetakan:
How can you be a family man with 85k as salary?

Your wife must be an angel. You better adore her!

The only time you should quit a job is when you have found a better offer. Make out time to learn driving, do not quit your job!
A family man with 85K in Lagos is suicidal .
However this same Salary will be sufficient for a family man with two children in places outside Lagos such as the northern region .
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by CsRockefeller(m): 12:43pm On Apr 01, 2021
PAWG:

If you were single , fine but as you have a family to cater for its damn complicated. Learn to drive and get a driver’s license before you quit. I wish you already knew how to drive and had a license. undecided

I'm single, have a driver's license, a car but currently earn 70k. I'm thinking of doing the Uber stuff,what do you think?
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Muhylonaire007: 12:50pm On Apr 01, 2021
Finemoore:
Walahi fa... For the past 3yrs now, I earn 30k as salary in Lagos.. A 31yrs old man for that matter. I look up and down, where do I start from? The thought of marry is busy nacking my brain but how? I am ND holder try to gather to go for my HND but no hope yet, still thought of suicide will never cross my mind because I know is against my faith. I am so confused as I am typing this right now.

My brother.
This Naija just tire person. just keep on hanging on, everything will be fine.
I wonder how People who earn 70k+ still think about suicide, when there is someone somewhere who earns 30k or less and never thought of the same suicide.

Just thank God for what you have, coz there are people who have never earned the so called 30k.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by harrietee: 12:50pm On Apr 01, 2021
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by ejiaro: 12:53pm On Apr 01, 2021
My brother quitting your job will be the worst mistake you will ever make in your life,Bolt/uber can't give you 85k every month,ask any driver about this, before you have 85k to yourself that means you ve made double your money,you will buy fuel,data, airtime to call,bolt/uber commission,car repair etc,think of your family,zero suicide please, isn't your wife working,let her do something if she is not presently,save small money for her to start business,reduce your to do list ,save money,better days ahead my brother
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by kapich: 12:54pm On Apr 01, 2021
SunTzu123:
1. Reduce your expenses to the barest minimum. If your wife is understanding, you're in heaven. If not, She will be the only problem you will have on this journey.

2. You don't know how to drive so your learning curve will be high for Uber business and may end in disaster. You can learn to drive but don't plan Uber for now.

3. You need additional income. If you're educated, you can start offering after school lessons (partner with a school around you by offering to use their facility on weekends). You can start a home based washing and ironing services. Other income opportunities include; look for a neighbourhood supermarket, partner with them to do delivery to their customers within your area.

If you're willing to share more details, I can give tailored advice.

Please can you drop your contact or how I can reach you to discuss. Thank you
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by janetakan(f): 12:57pm On Apr 01, 2021
omoharry:
A family man with 85K in Lagos is suicidal .
However this same Salary will be sufficient for a family man with two children in places outside Lagos such as the northern region .

Still not enough when one has kids.
Kids mean emergencies, plans, preparation. Some Nigerian families sha.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by janetakan(f): 12:59pm On Apr 01, 2021
EJEHSON:
People live with less than that and they are happy with there family. All hands are not equal. Na your type de mak man go steal.

I beg your pardon I will not have you assume anything about my life or personality.

Just avoid me! angry
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by philip0906(m): 1:00pm On Apr 01, 2021
4ckyou:
You are earning 85k and you are thinking of suicide? Some people are earning 50k monthly with lots of mouth to feed and they are doing well, maybe you should cut shot your expenses.
Dont live more than you earn, subsidize things to balance yourself.
Where are people earning 50k, feeding lots of mouths and doing well? Where?
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Oceanfield: 1:04pm On Apr 01, 2021
Tzar:
You need to give more details.
1. Is your wife working? what is her contribution to the finances of the home? If she is not working, she needs to get a job ASAP to support you. Sell below cost reduction, savings and investment plan to her. You need her buy-in to succeed. If she won't support your plans, you will need to divorce her 1st before you break the chain.
2.You clearly cannot afford your kid's current school fees and the accomodation you currently occupy. You need to change their school, even if it has to be a good public school pending when you get financial stability. You also need to hunt for a cheaper apartmnet pending your financial stability, even if it has to be 'face-to-face' for now.
3. Cut off ALL unnecessary spendings. Buy only good inexpensive 2nd hand clothes, shoes etc for now. Avoid friends or familly that drain your limited finances via drinking, parties, etc
4. Your wife's contibution, spending on only the basic needs, the cheaper school fees and accomodation will free up some money for savings. Save towards buying the car!
5. It wont be easy, but stay foucused on saving 30k monthly for the next 3years. You will have about 1million then. Buy a vey good car scanner that scans engine and gears (it costs about 50k). Then go hunt for a good UBER acceptable and very fuel efficient nigeria used car (kia rio, hyundai accent, toyotal corolla / yaris). CAVEAT- Never buy a Nigerian used car without scanning it for major faults. Do not also buy any Nigerian used car that says 'No fault codes found'... they sometimes deactivate the OBD2 scanning capabilities of the car. Never buy a Nigerian used car with oil leaks. BUY FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER (to avoid buying a stolen car).

You will not value your job until you leave. You are already suicidal and you do not need additional pressures that will drive you to the brinks. Uber has its own challenges too. The car can have major engine issues, it can be impounded by unscrupulous security agents or stolen... what will you do then?
If you have a loan to pay and these kinds of challenges arise, that will be disastrous!

In all these, get the buy-in of your wife. like I said earlier if she is not supportive of these cost cutting measure or can't give a better plan, she is your number 1 problem... get rid of that first.

It is better you keep the job. Have you and your wife learn how to drive / obtain driver licences. Both of you can be driving the car to make money. She can drive you to work, then use the car as a taxi till you close, then she will come pick you in the evening. At weekends, you take over the car to use as taxi.
With this, you can both save enough money for a business for your wife. Just make sure she is a business minded person 1st.
After all these, you can start thinking of a small land / house, then change your kids school.
ALSO, DO NOT THINK ABOUT MORE KIDS UNTIL YOU ATTAIN SOME LEVEL OF FINANCIAL STABILITY!!!

This is the way to go not just for op but for all men in this situation.
Best advise.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by jonahimself: 1:05pm On Apr 01, 2021
Firstly, the thought of suicide depicts an acceptance of failure in it's totality. Brace up man, the night is darkest before Dawn.

Keep your exiting job, go learn to drive and get a car ( if you have one for hire purchase, by all means) , register for BOLT. Traffic is highest at close of work and you make more profit in a short time. With both sources in place, you're already developing multiple streams of income for yourself.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by stubbornman(m): 1:09pm On Apr 01, 2021
4ckyou:
You are earning 85k and you are thinking of suicide? Some people are earning 50k monthly with lots of mouth to feed and they are doing well, maybe you should cut shot your expenses.
Dont live more than you earn, subsidize things to balance yourself.

Guy why nah sad sad sad
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by gerizzim: 1:10pm On Apr 01, 2021
ggoldmine:
What you need is good money management skill. Some earn less and still live just okay. Let me help with some calculations. Using the figures you gave as basis:

Yearly income: #85,000 *12 = #1,020,000
Yearly rent: #140,000
Balance: #880,000
Net weekly earnings: #880,000/52 =~ #16,900
Or
Net monthly earnings: #73,300

You can create a monthly budget around this amount. Consider buying food items in bulk monthly, not in bits. This shouldn't cost more than #40,000 for a decent family. Create a separate account for expenses if you can: this will include monthly rent which is approx. #11,700 and cumulative weekly or monthly expenditures (all subtracted from your salary)

Seriously, I really don't understand how you feel comfortable living on debts when you can easily plan your life around your earnings. If you're considering being a driver, I'll suggest you take driving lessons while doing your current job. Driving is not that difficult.

In addition, I'm not completely in support of you quitting your job, purchasing a car on debt and being a driver. How can you manage debt accrued from running a business with inconsistent income when you haven't been able to manage debt from a recurring income? I'll advise you to think it through. What payback plans have you set in place for your debt? How much will you earn in a month from your driving business (subtracting car expenses like fueling, repairs and maintenance)? Is this earning from your business consistent?

I see a huge turn around for you if you learn how to create budgets and spend within your budget using your salary earnings. You could even save towards a buying a car, then do driving part time. Alternatively, you can seek a high-paying job.

Mr Op, i hope u are reading Tru all d comments dt is trailing ur complain. make e no be like say u throw way complain for here and depression no allow u follow up to read Dem. Both good and bad reply , read all of Dem. no be one place Dem dey look elephant.

Virtually everybody dt commented is towing dt line of you to restrategize ur money mgt skill. dt is Wt u need first bfor u complain abt d figure u carry home as salry.

most tyms, even we dt bears d problem knows wt to do to solve it bt we just like to whine ND cry ,stay on dt same spot without takin action to solve our problem.

If ur in ur late 20's I go forgive you bt if ur in ur late 30's ND 40's ND u complain abt dis , dt means u need to be flogged.

because sm1 in his 30's suppose don dey strong for ground to know ow to budget for family xpenses. Cut dwn xenses ND stop spending money on frivolities.

D 85k is not rilly d big problem. na ur mind. u are tryin to contain all ur financial responsibilities within ur salary. ur salry alone cnt do d magic. change dt mindset. Wt u nid to do is to tink of Wt to do to increase ur cash inflow into ur home. dis means u shud look for anoda source of income to support ur salary.

I earn around same figure wit u bt I had to add 2 oda passive income dt I get money from.

DNT CONTAIN ur financial RESPONSIBILITIES within the confine of ur mntly salary alone.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Section1: 1:12pm On Apr 01, 2021
na person wey no get work go advice another person say him salary too small make him quit the job.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by jabor4Naija(m): 1:17pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

I have been having this thought of quitting my job to learn driving in order to pick up an UBER or BOLT job but the fear of getting a car on hire purchase is always coming as an hindrance.

I am a family man whose salary of just #85,000 is not even enough to cater for the family .Before the salary even comes in, there are always debts that have been incurred.

Most times,I dont even get up to #20,000 as a result of debts and seriously I am fed up. Infact , I think of suicide sometimes because i am so depressed right now. I have rent of #140,000 hanging on my neck too.

Please will it be wise to quit to learn driving for purpose of commercial driving job?
This is a decision u cannot take on ur own, you have to sit with your wife and both agree cos dis is not a decision u can jump into. If u are thinking of uber den my question is do u have a car u want to use? My brother the Lord will guide u to make d right choice
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by aigbokiejohnson(m): 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2021
Please remove suicide from your thoughts. I will suggest you quickly learn the driving while you awaits the aforementioned option.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by frozen70(f): 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

Have you saved enough to sustain you when you quit the job you are doing

If your yearly rent is 140k, why not look for an accommodation with less that amount

Why not continue with your job until you get a hire purchase vehicle then you learn driving within a month and get your vehicle registered
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Okoroawusa: 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2021
peeps4u:

1. Not rugged or I say ideal like corolla, civic, big daddy.
2. More expensive spare parts.

Whether you drive Gwagon or corolla for uber, you earn same thing. Why use an unnecessarily expensive cars to shortchange oneself?

The cost of maintaining that car will rob her of any lil profit she is making from the car.

However, if one has such car and no other means for another car, one can make do with it and drive it PERSONALLY and not to be given out on rental.
Ok...makes sense
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

Nah mechanic go frustrate you last last.

Don't ever pick a car on Hire purchase. When you hear that you will balance N3.8m before the car becomes yours, how will you attain that ?

Nah you go dey repair the car. How much will remain to feed your family ?
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by nedekid: 1:34pm On Apr 01, 2021
Na wah. 85k a month ie
Jonathan's time=$675 (₦140/$1)
Sai baba change time=$175 (₦485/$1)
To earn quivalent of your salary 6 years ago you need to now earn ₦327k monthly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by PAWG(m): 1:34pm On Apr 01, 2021
CsRockefeller:

I'm single, have a driver's license, a car but currently earn 70k. I'm thinking of doing the Uber stuff,what do you think?

In what city do you reside? If it's Abuja please do it, you're losing revenue grin

The requirements to do Bolt in Lagos are quite steep but doable. You're single man, hustle!! I used to save 10k daily as a bolt driver last year but I'm retired now, I now do a 9-5 cool

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Roseey0(f): 1:35pm On Apr 01, 2021
It's not always the job but what are you spending the money on?.
Spend according to your earning
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by omojesu202(m): 1:38pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

i am earning 20k as graduate but suicide no dey my mind. Millions of people are earning less than you and surviving. Just adjust your standard of living.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by myrum(m): 1:40pm On Apr 01, 2021
ENTERPRISE LEASING AND INVESTMENT LIMITED
For those of you who want to buy a car for commercial purpose or individual use but has incomplete or no [b][/b]fund for purchase kindly call or send a DM to 08102320086 As we help you purchase any car of your choice
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by myrum(m): 1:57pm On Apr 01, 2021
ENTERPRISE LEASING AND INVESTMENT COMPANY
Is helping individuals / Corporate Firms who is interested in buying a car for commercial or personal use but has INCOMPLETE or NO fund to purchase any car of choice. Please kindly call or send a DM to 08102320086 for more info. We also help fund Household and office equipment of your choice.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by CsRockefeller(m): 2:10pm On Apr 01, 2021
PAWG:

In what city do you reside? If it's Abuja please do it, you're losing revenue grin

The requirements to do Bolt in Lagos are quite steep but doable. You're single man, hustle!! I used to save 10k daily as a bolt driver last year but I'm retired now, I now do a 9-5 cool

I'm in Lagos, though I'm looking at just Saturdays because of my full time job.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Funkybabee(f): 2:42pm On Apr 01, 2021
Joysticks:
So you and your wife can live comfortably with #30 or #50k?That is you can pay monthly utility bills,children school fees, wife's monthly allawee?You must be kidding.

I don't want to reply you before because your respond is senseless to me.

but like I advice before, go and sit your wife and take pen and jotter for writing

go and do your budget expenses, there are a lot of private schools teachers with family, I mean children not kid that are surviving with 30k added with their wife contributions.

how did you want to have peace self if you are paying wife's allawee with that salary
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Enyiekpa(m): 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2021
ok thanks
What car do u prefer I get

I plan on buying two cars for Uber next 2 months [/quote]

Toyota matrix or toyota corolla are good cars for uber/bolt...

Please I'm interested in H.P of one of the car,
My driver's license/lasdri are intact,.. I have six years driving experience

My number 08169459425

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why I Was Invited For Eight (8) Interviews In Eight (8) Weeks / Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA / Resignation Letter Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.