Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:38 AM

Do I Need To Quit My Job ? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do I Need To Quit My Job ? (27490 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Juju Scare: Should I Quit My Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Prechgold1180(m): 11:24am On Apr 01, 2021
peeps4u:

Corolla, Camry (big daddy 4 plug), matrix, Honda civic (03-05).

There are others like Elantra, sonata, Honda City, Kia but the corolla, matrix, civic are tested and trusted with quite cheap and available parts.

I will vote matrix and civic while corolla comes last because corolla is a robber magnet and even too costly to purchase.

If you seek further info, you may DM me or check uber thread.

Good luck
thanks bro
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by SunTzu123(m): 11:24am On Apr 01, 2021
1. Reduce your expenses to the barest minimum. If your wife is understanding, you're in heaven. If not, She will be the only problem you will have on this journey.

2. You don't know how to drive so your learning curve will be high for Uber business and may end in disaster. You can learn to drive but don't plan Uber for now.

3. You need additional income. If you're educated, you can start offering after school lessons (partner with a school around you by offering to use their facility on weekends). You can start a home based washing and ironing services. Other income opportunities include; look for a neighbourhood supermarket, partner with them to do delivery to their customers within your area.

If you're willing to share more details, I can give tailored advice.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Prechgold1180(m): 11:24am On Apr 01, 2021
sun123:

I quote you to register my interest on the said matter above. I have a valid driver's licence with over three years experience. I'm willing and ready on the hire purchase plan
when things materialise.
Here's my contact:08035232228

Toyota corolla is ideal for uber
ok
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

I have been having this thought of quitting my job to learn driving in order to pick up an UBER or BOLT job but the fear of getting a car on hire purchase is always coming as an hindrance.

I am a family man whose salary of just #85,000 is not even enough to cater for the family .Before the salary even comes in, there are always debts that have been incurred.

Most times,I dont even get up to #20,000 as a result of debts and seriously I am fed up. Infact , I think of suicide sometimes because i am so depressed right now. I have rent of #140,000 hanging on my neck too.

Please will it be wise to quit to learn driving for purpose of commercial driving job?

I am a family man, and so what? Grab some bones and face your responsibilities.

Problem of many persons all over the world is the tendency to live like the Joneses.

If you can't manage #85k, you can't manage #850k.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Funkybabee(f): 11:27am On Apr 01, 2021
Joysticks:
#30k?#1k per day.How much go be daily spending?

He should go and asked how those people are spending it.

Everything is about plan, he and his wife should sit and draw a plan for it..

And he should mark my word, if he didn't remove all this burden on heart, to be appreciative eh, na those people have heart att@ck or str0ke when they are getting old just because of their heart financial burden they carried during their youth days.

He and his wife should sit and plan
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Martins004(m): 11:33am On Apr 01, 2021
Cut ur cost
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 01, 2021
Funkybabee:

He should go and asked how those people are spending it.

Everything is about plan, he and his wife should sit and draw a plan for it..

And he should mark my word, if he didn't remove all this burden on heart, to be appreciative eh, na those people have heart att@ck or str0ke when they are getting old just because of their heart financial burden they carried during their youth days.

He and his wife should sit and plan
So you and your wife can live comfortably with #30 or #50k?That is you can pay monthly utility bills,children school fees, wife's monthly allawee?You must be kidding.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by AdaAwka1: 11:45am On Apr 01, 2021
Suicide ke? Nothing person no go hear. 85k job humm. Just cut Ur expenses, take do Uber job as a side hustle and not a full time job. Appreciate that 85k I earn now cos if it's taken away dats when d real depression will set in.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by AdaAwka1: 11:46am On Apr 01, 2021
indigene:

I am a family man, and so what? Grab some bones and face your responsibilities.

Problem of many persons all over the world is the tendency to live like the Joneses.

If you can't manage #85k, you can't manage #850k.

Very true, very very true.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by PrinceGallant: 11:46am On Apr 01, 2021
Support yourself with POS business. Do it in your workplace, you can also sell bulk recharge cards.

You can also set up a small business and employ small boy or girl to manage it for you. If your employee can make 30,000 for you in a month and you pay him or her 10 or 12k, you have bonus of 20k to add to your salary.

Best Wishes
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Bunmhi(f): 11:51am On Apr 01, 2021
Suicide is not an option
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by ozo13(m): 11:53am On Apr 01, 2021
Damiriel:
Quit if you have never taken garri and salt ad dinner and then sachet water as breakfast ever.

But if you have then... You know how to advise your self
wat will d salt do in the garri smiley
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by EJEHSON(m): 11:54am On Apr 01, 2021
People live with less than that and they are happy with there family. All hands are not equal. Na your type de mak man go steal.
janetakan:
How can you be a family man with 85k as salary?

Your wife must be an angel. You better adore her!

The only time you should quit a job is when you have found a better offer. Make out time to learn driving, do not quit your job!
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by farous(m): 11:57am On Apr 01, 2021
4ckyou:
You are earning 85k and you are thinking of suicide? Some people are earning 50k monthly with lots of mouth to feed and they are doing well, maybe you should cut shot your expenses.
Dont live more than you earn, subsidize things to balance yourself.

Not here in Lagos will say N50,000 and doing well.Do you understand what it means to be on that salary and still ruining a family. Don't pray to be in such shoe
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by samwash(m): 11:58am On Apr 01, 2021
Joysticks:
Suicide is a way of avoiding depression, and other problems that makes life difficult.

Only a coward & stupid person will option for suicide as the final solutions to his/her predicament.
No matter the situation someone is going through either depression or difficulties in life, they should always talk to pple around, ( speaking out is the 1st solution) to family members, friends , colleague, religious leaders in ur unit or church/mosque/ Africa worship center. At least some one will offer to help out,we Nigerians have pity hearts in helping pple in genuine need.
At the long run, Suicide will cause pain to close friends, family members, colleagues just name it. No matter how useless seems someone is in a society or community, that pple has its own usefulness to pple around & d family.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by nengibo: 11:58am On Apr 01, 2021
suicide might come quicker if you quit that job without a better alternative
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Elsueno: 12:00pm On Apr 01, 2021
Ayo2004:
Marriage and having kids should have been far from your mind but now it's too late.. investments and savings have become almost impossible since u spend most of your income or even more which leads to debt

Do not leave your job until u find a better source of income

When u speak to some Nigerians about taking thier income into account before getting married as well as the crazy inflation in Nigeria. They will tell you, love conquers all & God will provide. No matter how unreasonable u try to tell them thier actions are, they won't listen.

People should know that our ultimate aim in this world is not birth children only
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Vokians(m): 12:01pm On Apr 01, 2021
4ckyou:
You are earning 85k and you are thinking of suicide? Some people are earning 50k monthly with lots of mouth to feed and they are doing well, maybe you should cut shot your expenses.
Dont live more than you earn, subsidize things to balance yourself.
You've said my mind.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

I have been having this thought of quitting my job to learn driving in order to pick up an UBER or BOLT job but the fear of getting a car on hire purchase is always coming as an hindrance.

I am a family man whose salary of just #85,000 is not even enough to cater for the family .Before the salary even comes in, there are always debts that have been incurred.

Most times,I dont even get up to #20,000 as a result of debts and seriously I am fed up. Infact , I think of suicide sometimes because i am so depressed right now. I have rent of #140,000 hanging on my neck too.

Please will it be wise to quit to learn driving for purpose of commercial driving job?
Pls air can you help me get a job school cert of 15 k above
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by ggoldmine(f): 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2021
What you need is good money management skill. Some earn less and still live just okay. Let me help with some calculations. Using the figures you gave as basis:

Yearly income: #85,000 *12 = #1,020,000
Yearly rent: #140,000
Balance: #880,000
Net weekly earnings: #880,000/52 =~ #16,900
Or
Net monthly earnings: #73,300

You can create a monthly budget around this amount. Consider buying food items in bulk monthly, not in bits. This shouldn't cost more than #40,000 for a decent family. Create a separate account for expenses if you can: this will include monthly rent which is approx. #11,700 and cumulative weekly or monthly expenditures (all subtracted from your salary)

Seriously, I really don't understand how you feel comfortable living on debts when you can easily plan your life around your earnings. If you're considering being a driver, I'll suggest you take driving lessons while doing your current job. Driving is not that difficult.

In addition, I'm not completely in support of you quitting your job, purchasing a car on debt and being a driver. How can you manage debt accrued from running a business with inconsistent income when you haven't been able to manage debt from a recurring income? I'll advise you to think it through. What payback plans have you set in place for your debt? How much will you earn in a month from your driving business (subtracting car expenses like fueling, repairs and maintenance)? Is this earning from your business consistent?

I see a huge turn around for you if you learn how to create budgets and spend within your budget using your salary earnings. You could even save towards a buying a car, then do driving part time. Alternatively, you can seek a high-paying job.

confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Fxwarrior: 12:18pm On Apr 01, 2021
confirmedniggae:
Good evenning all.

How does your wife complement your efforts. As in, how does she contribute to lesson your load.

Please don't tell me, nothing.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by lizdammy: 12:20pm On Apr 01, 2021
Tzar:
You need to give more details.
1. Is your wife working? what is her contribution to the finances of the home? If she is not working, she needs to get a job ASAP to support you. Sell below cost reduction, savings and investment plan to her. You need her buy-in to succeed. If she won't support your plans, you will need to divorce her 1st before you break the chain.
2.You clearly cannot afford your kid's current school fees and the accomodation you currently occupy. You need to change their school, even if it has to be a good public school pending when you get financial stability. You also need to hunt for a cheaper apartmnet pending your financial stability, even if it has to be 'face-to-face' for now.
3. Cut off ALL unnecessary spendings. Buy only good inexpensive 2nd hand clothes, shoes etc for now. Avoid friends or familly that drain your limited finances via drinking, parties, etc
4. Your wife's contibution, spending on only the basic needs, the cheaper school fees and accomodation will free up some money for savings. Save towards buying the car!
5. It wont be easy, but stay foucused on saving 30k monthly for the next 3years. You will have about 1million then. Buy a vey good car scanner that scans engine and gears (it costs about 50k). Then go hunt for a good UBER acceptable and very fuel efficient nigeria used car (kia rio, hyundai accent, toyotal corolla / yaris). CAVEAT- Never buy a Nigerian used car without scanning it for major faults. Do not also buy any Nigerian used car that says 'No fault codes found'... they sometimes deactivate the OBD2 scanning capabilities of the car. Never buy a Nigerian used car with oil leaks. BUY FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER (to avoid buying a stolen car).

You will not value your job until you leave. You are already suicidal and you do not need additional pressures that will drive you to the brinks. Uber has its own challenges too. The car can have major engine issues, it can be impounded by unscrupulous security agents or stolen... what will you do then?
If you have a loan to pay and these kinds of challenges arise, that will be disastrous!

In all these, get the buy-in of your wife. like I said earlier if she is not supportive of these cost cutting measure or can't give a better plan, she is your number 1 problem... get rid of that first.

It is better you keep the job. Have you and your wife learn how to drive / obtain driver licences. Both of you can be driving the car to make money. She can drive you to work, then use the car as a taxi till you close, then she will come pick you in the evening. At weekends, you take over the car to use as taxi.
With this, you can both save enough money for a business for your wife. Just make sure she is a business minded person 1st.
After all these, you can start thinking of a small land / house, then change your kids school.
ALSO, DO NOT THINK ABOUT MORE KIDS UNTIL YOU ATTAIN SOME LEVEL OF FINANCIAL STABILITY!!!
Thanks for the heads-up.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Fxwarrior: 12:20pm On Apr 01, 2021
Jashub:
If you quit now, what will your children feed on...or haven't you given that thought...? My advice is you endure with your current job and start saving to become a driver/Uber driver. You can do this by doing contribution(àdàshi) with trustworthy friends who have the same plans like you.

There are no trustworthy 'friends' these days.

Best is to discuss such plans with his bank.
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 01, 2021
aycapri:
I want the Uber drivers to share their experience. So, the OP would know what he is going into

I can tell you for such that the danger of driving on Lagos road for a new driver especially is very high. From one way with no sign which puts you in the hands of lastma/police/agbero hands to car maintenance, car theft/robbery, night driving etc

Note that driving over a long period of time gives the body so much stress and health challenges.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Jashub: 12:22pm On Apr 01, 2021
Fxwarrior:

There are no trustworthy 'friends' these days.

Best is to discuss such plans with his bank.
Speak for yourself since you do not have trustworthy people besides you. But don't let your opinion dictate mine
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Fxwarrior: 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2021
Damiriel:
Quit if you have never taken garri and salt ad dinner and then sachet water as breakfast ever.

But if you have then... You know how to advise your self

I love your sense of humour. Can I pm you?
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by EmyGod(m): 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2021
My friend I will give you the most perfect advice that will help you and your family, never mind the demon's telling you to go for suicide as a easy way to opt from the little suffering. Sometimes before you do something try to compare others and your own struggle you will see a lot of reasons to thank God for his goodness in your life. If you are thinking about suicide when you earn 85k then what should a primary school teacher who has family maybe his wife will as well be a primary school teacher, when you combine their salary it will still falls eighty something thousands as yours.
Tips to help yourself.
1) Encourage your wife if she doesn't have something doing.
2) Cut your expenses to your level.
3) Take time to run down your monthly spending before you cash out your salary.
4) Limit any activity that will lure you to spend and check what you will have at the end of that month.
5) Don't depend on your salary, try to look for other means of making money.
6) Invest in agriculture it will help in cutting down on your food expenses.
7) You can't chew more than you can take, if I may advice you I will simply say cut your coat according to your size, so it is better you park out from that your current house and move to an affordable house to you level for now, you can look for house that you can pay 80k down for now at least to build your money for you future target. Don't live in a COMFORTABLE house whereas your pocket can't maintain that comfortability. I have seen families living in one room in Onitsha, without no sense of comfort but today their children are millionaires.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Fxwarrior: 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2021
Jashub:
Speak for yourself since you do not have trustworthy people besides you. But don't let your opinion dictate mine

I know your type. Continue, you will get there.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Jashub: 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2021
[s]
Fxwarrior:

I know your type. Continue, you will get there.
[/s]
Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by donogaga(m): 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2021
GeeMeshin1:
First, remove suicide out of the equation; it will not solve anything rather it'll compound issues. If you can continue your current job and learn the driving alongside, it'll be better. Be strong, the best is around the corner.

This is a very good advice.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by 1F30M4(f): 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2021
Don't be in a haste to ditch your current job o.. It's not alwayss greener on the other side, do your due diligence before making such a critical decision.. A bird in hand is better than 2 in the bushes, you can learn how to drive during your leisure time & weekends if you like.. Just don't quit your job yet until you've got another..

I know the cost of living is very high presently, talk about feeding, rent, basic utilities, miscellaneous maybe tfare to work and sch fees for your children but 85k/monthly isn't sooo bad esp if you're paid as at when due.. You & your wife should sit and draft out y'all monthly budget, that way you can both monitor y'all expenses.. Cut down on all excesses as well, I know that some unplanned expenses may come up i.e medical bills, fittings & repair but let's work on the planned first.. It would be nice if your wife can also help out in any way, she could start little.. I believe all will be well soon

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Quit My Job ? by Worksunlimited: 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2021
babayinka77:

Doing well with 50k monthly is an exaggeration..Haba, in this economy!

Depends on the state..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Resignation Letter Format / Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA / What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.