Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,686 members, 7,809,593 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic (21606 Views)

Don't Marry An Illiterate - Sandra Iheuwa Advises Single People / Naira Marley Blasts Those That Called Him An "Illiterate" (Video) / Paul Okoye Announces New Artiste To His Rudeboy Records Label (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 07, 2021
It's not a lie, Empty vessel they say makes alot of noise
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by soilsista(f): 12:06pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kondomatic:
Back then when we still do "VN Thread" on here. I uploaded my own Voice Note jejely and one girl said that I have a thick "Igbotic Accent" and I asked her If I am supposed to sound like a Jamaican.

We too dey overdo things in this country.
Yeah, I remember those days grin When it was still fun and games, unlike now!

2 Likes

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:

They do. Especially in a cosmopolitan city like LAGOS.

Don't worry for now. Later I'm going to create a whole thread on this topic. I'll quote you once I do. This topic has been lingering too much, I want to know and learn what's up with this whole 'h' sound.

This topic has been going back and forth, while I believe those who form phonetics teacher claiming to know this 'h' sound are the ones who're really getting it all mixed up.
I remember dragging with a guy here on same issue last year, initially he was forming phonetics teacher, but after posting different YouTube vids here from Brits, the guy stylishly vanished.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by livebyday(m): 12:08pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:
Way back people were mocked for being too indigenous, the goal was to be foreign. Someone would open their mouth waaa and say “you speak your language too much”. Are you okay? Which language e for speak?

Thankfully all that is changing. I think the commercialization of indigenous rap (and comedy) also played a role. Some people started to feel bad that they couldn’t speak fluently, enough to make some money out of it or even understand the jokes.

People want to be like Phyno or Olamide. Now everyone is tapping into their localness.

We are making progress, we would get there...

Where are you from?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by elmessiahs(m): 12:08pm On Apr 07, 2021
very true, I know of a very intelligent man that intends to change his intonation... I just dey laugh
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by pocohantas(f): 12:09pm On Apr 07, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

Don't worry for now. Later I'm going to create a whole thread on this topic. I'll quote you once I do. This topic has been lingering too much, I want to know and learn what's up with this whole 'h' sound.

This topic has been going back and forth, while I believe those who form phonetics teacher claiming to know this 'h' sound are the ones who're really getting it all mixed up.
I remember dragging with a guy here on same issue last year, initially he was forming phonetics teacher, but after posting different YouTube vids here from Brits, the guy stylishly vanished.

Okay
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Rickylambert: 12:10pm On Apr 07, 2021
Dre090:
An illiterate, very true, so what we should we call twin brothers turned enemy.
thats not the message bros
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by EbenezerTriumph: 12:11pm On Apr 07, 2021
Millimann:
Even some of those people that sound like Brits can't write well.
tah commot dia, no dey give yourself Hope
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by 99thEnemy(m): 12:13pm On Apr 07, 2021
Fee Dzee Feeeeeee.... Fawa to dze Feefle grin grin grin

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by femi4: 12:14pm On Apr 07, 2021
Is covik 1-9 fullanitic
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by EbenezerTriumph: 12:16pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kondomatic:
Back then when we still do "VN Thread" on here. I uploaded my own Voice Note jejely and one girl said that I have a thick "Igbotic Accent" and I asked her If I am supposed to sound like a Jamaican.

Link to the VN thread please
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by JovialJune(f): 12:17pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kondomatic:

Jeez I can imagine how you sound like grin

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by EbenezerTriumph: 12:20pm On Apr 07, 2021
kingsceedon:
This Ba5tards should stop mentioning my beloved Igbo brothers and sisters along with those Biggest Ba5tards yorrubbers and those uncircumcised morons Hausas together before God of Israel punishes th
you reason like an illiterate

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by EbenezerTriumph: 12:21pm On Apr 07, 2021
Dre090:
An illiterate, very true, so what we should we call twin brothers turned enemy.
focus on the message and leave him alone
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by zolajpower: 12:21pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:
Paul of former PSquare group has this to say to all of you that insult people for sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic or Hausatic...

I heard some parents pay hundreds of thousands in Lagos to have their kids learn to speak like Brits.

Let’s also stop mocking our amiable President- President Buhari. grin

And Kanu Nwankwo...
Okocha, Emenike... cheesy
Abi psqaure don dey come back ni? For rudeboy to dey fight for Yoruba people grin
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Ladycewhy(f): 12:30pm On Apr 07, 2021
omonnakoda:
Did you know that even with Sign language there are "accents"
Is that so? tell me more ,I am genuinely curious.

Well I am one of the lucky ones that don't have my tribe accent ,when I tell people where I am from,the response I usually get is " but you don't sound like people from there". Even the pidgin accent leads people to make wrong assumptions about my state of origin.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by jaxxy(m): 12:31pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:
Paul of former PSquare group has this to say to all of you that insult people for sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic or Hausatic...

I heard some parents pay hundreds of thousands in Lagos to have their kids learn to speak like Brits.

Let’s also stop mocking our amiable President- President Buhari. grin

And Kanu Nwankwo...
Okocha, Emenike... cheesy

I think accent is by preference and shudnt be mocked, even core Brit’s, Irish and American from Texas sound very funny so why mocking our local accents. It’s illiteracy.

I cud laugh bt i don’t mock them. Lol
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by ThierryJay: 12:32pm On Apr 07, 2021
Long ago, I used to also get irritated with peeps speaking with strong local accents. With more exposure, I came to realize that it's all unnecessary and an issue of self-esteem. I saw many Europeans from non-English speaking countries speak English with all their native accents in public without getting ashamed.

Mourinho typically pronounces "s" sound as "zzzzz" and calls "p" as "ffff" sometimes. No one looks down on him

Arsene Wenger always uses his strong French accent when speaking English. In fact, some other Managers like Antonio Conte regularly even gbagauned in addition to their accent during their public speeches but no one makes any issue of that.

It's a lack of understanding when you mock people for having "H" or "L in place of R" factor. Nonetheless, I recognize that it has become sort of a culture in Nigeria to make fun of those. So I would still advise that you still get rid of those factors if you can cos Nigerians generally lack exposure on how things should be.

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by sameks08(m): 12:32pm On Apr 07, 2021
just to be relevant carry go Mr rude boy
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Deepfeel(m): 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2021
We4all:
He is getting it wrong. Accents are a vital part of a language. If you speak Spanish with a Portuguese accent, you will definitely sound odd.

When learning a language, you should also try to acquaint yourself with the accent. That way, you can communicate effectively with a native speaker.

For instance, I speak Hausa but with a bad accent. I'm trying to polish it. If I can, then there is nothing wrong if an English speaker decides to polish his accent. English is just one of the many languages and there should be no exceptions to it.

you are completely wrong, accent is not important, the most important thing in language, is getting your sentences correctly , with no grammatical errors ,

english is a universal language spoken by billions of people according to their accents, some accents sound even better than British accent

American accent sounds better than British accent to me
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 07, 2021
forget it, if your English accent is not clear, my broda you have to go learn
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 07, 2021
Deepfeel:

you are completely wrong, accent is not important, the most important thing in language, is getting your sentences correctly , with no grammatical errors ,

english is a universal language spoken by billions of people according to their accents, some accents sound even better than British accent

American accent sounds better than British accent to me
lie ... British has the best accent... they tend to pronounce words perfectly... not blabbing like Americans do
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by omoharry(f): 12:37pm On Apr 07, 2021
It is called inferiority complex .The Indians speaks English with their accent and they are proud of it ,so are the Chinese ,the Arabs ,the Italians ,Spanish as well as other Europeans, whose first language is not the English language .
Some Nigerians have lost their sense of identity. that is why they crave for another mans own. Such act is called complex ..It means you are ashamed of who you are .
Look at Ngozi Okonjo Iweala .She still speak with her Nigerian accent and has been able to attained one of the highest career hierarchy in in the US. This is a woman that has been staying in the U.S since in the 70s but still retained her accent .. very original and true to herself by wearing her African cloths to crown it all.
Look at Chimamanda Adichie.. she is a writer and well read but she still kept her Nigerians accent which add to her uniqueness in what she does .
Let us be original and the world will appreciate what you have .
When Nigerian musicians were busy coping the west, they didn’t get any glance from them but immediately they went indigenous the world started listening to our songs and even recognizing our artist .

3 Likes

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by zedman1(m): 12:40pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kondomatic:
Yes Chief.

Nairaland was actually very fun before
I swear, Nairaland was a very fun place to be. I never was a member then but each time I got exhausted from reading shitty comments from Naijapals( apologies, I just had to mention that site for comparison sakes), I would run to read really good stuffs from here by very intelligent people to calm my nerves.... But these days this space is actually more shitty than you know what. I guess politics spoilt everything.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Deepfeel(m): 12:43pm On Apr 07, 2021
Grgton:
lie ... British has the best accent... they tend to pronounce words perfectly... not blabbing like Americans do
there is nothing sweet about British accent, they sound very annoying speaking through their nose
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Subsider(m): 12:53pm On Apr 07, 2021
One thing I find amusing in Africa is our attitude towards our nature as Africans, No matter how you behave or want to behave like one who's not from Africa, you would always be remembered and called an African.. Be proud of Everything you have as an African
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by omonnakoda: 12:55pm On Apr 07, 2021
Ladycewhy:
Is that so? tell me more ,I am genuinely curious.

Well I am one of the lucky ones that don't have my tribe accent ,when I tell people where I am from,the response I usually get is " but you don't sound like people from there". Even the pidgin accent leads people to make wrong assumptions about my state of origin.
How or why is it "lucky" not to have your "tribe" accent

Is there anything shameful about your "tribe"?

Do you really know the meaning of the word "tribe"?

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by peeps4u: 12:55pm On Apr 07, 2021
We4all:

Yawn.....Okay, I have heard you. If you can learn the language, then you might as well practice the accent. Is that so difficult to grab?

Tell that to Indians and Chinese also who speak English in their accents
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by hefelove(m): 1:01pm On Apr 07, 2021
Awon eyan soro

Wo ni mi o gbo oyinbo

Mo fe bere lowo yin shey oyinbo gbo Yoruba?

Mi o shomo New York, Omo Eko ni mi

Anywhere te ba rimi ko need ke bimi.

RIP Dagrin smiley
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by chiedozie198100: 1:02pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:
I will never forget this colleague of mine who had her university education in the UK. She also had her Masters and a professional course. She had all this as a graduate trainee. Chick was intelligent, but there was a “problem”. Bola (not real name) had a strong h-factor which affected her presentations and killed her zeal to handle public speaking.

Public speaking was one of our courses and the girl fell sick before the day sef. Anxiety wan kill am. When we were practicing among ourselves, she never finished her speech. We would be giggling when she calls hair, air and things like that. We never meant any harm, but we just couldn’t hold back the laughter. Though with time some of us, especially those in her group learned to suck it up.

The day we were supposed to present, our Chief HR officer was there, along with some other top officials. She got on the stage all dressed in her suit, said a few sentences and the giggling started. She tried to continue, but alas, she dropped the microphone and ran out of the hall, she was just crying “I can’t do this, I can’t”.

It was a turning point in our training as the whole class started crying. That was the last day we laughed at her or any other person. Laughed out o, because some people wan explode from holding back laughter. cheesy

You guys didn't mean any harm, abi?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by omonnakoda: 1:04pm On Apr 07, 2021
We4all:

Yawn.....Okay, I have heard you. If you can learn the language, then you might as well practice the accent. Is that so difficult to grab?
What exactly is "THE ACCENT" ? .There are over a dozen accents and dialects in the United Kingdom . Which one exactly is "the Accent"

Most English speakers do not live in the United Kingdom and in the United Kingdom people speak very different versions of English

There is no correct way to speak English and there simply CANNOT be for any language that achieves the internationality that English has
What is important is intelligibility not slavish mimicry

There is no need for anyone sitting in Lagos to practise any ridiculous accents

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top Ten Hottest New Artistes In 2021 By Iamsynord / OJB Jezreel Sues Aproko247 For N100m Over Fake Story / Wande Coal Quits Mavin Records?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.