Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,143 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic (21603 Views)

Don't Marry An Illiterate - Sandra Iheuwa Advises Single People / Naira Marley Blasts Those That Called Him An "Illiterate" (Video) / Paul Okoye Announces New Artiste To His Rudeboy Records Label (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by omonnakoda: 1:11pm On Apr 07, 2021
Grgton:
lie ... British has the best accent... they tend to pronounce words perfectly... not blabbing like Americans do
This is very ignorant
Britain has more that a dozen accents. Have you ever travelled across Britain?

I suggest you go to Dudley, Sunderland, Liverpool or Glasgow. There is nothing perfect about it.

The way people speak in Britain is largely determined by social class and schooling

The "best" accent would have to be the one most people understand. That would vary from country to country.

Since most English speakers can be found in Nigeria , India the US etc. The Nigerian accent would have to be one of the best

2 Likes

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by cococandy(f): 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2021
I swore I’d never lose my accent. And I’m still keeping it up until now.
I can code switch like crazy. It’s an amazing skill

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Staphylococcus: 1:16pm On Apr 07, 2021
Rude boy sure knows he sounds Igbotic

He is just expressing his pains
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Athemisia: 1:18pm On Apr 07, 2021
We4all:
He is getting it wrong. Accents are a vital part of a language. If you speak Spanish with a Portuguese accent, you will definitely sound odd.

When learning a language, you should also try to acquaint yourself with the accent. That way, you can communicate effectively with a native speaker.

For instance, I speak Hausa but with a bad accent. I'm trying to polish it. If I can, then there is nothing wrong if an English speaker decides to polish his accent. English is just one of the many languages and there should be no exceptions to it.
My dear, different nations across the globe have brand English with their own accent even the Oxford dictionary acknowledge it.

Hence the reason for British accent, Scottish accent, American accent, Mexican accent, Nigerian accent, Ghanaian accent, South African accent, Australian accent etc.

you can't force it cause many factors like environment, other languages, people, culture, etc do affect a language.

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Amalekki: 1:19pm On Apr 07, 2021
omoharry:
It is called inferiority complex .The Indians speaks English with their accent and they are proud of it ,so are the Chinese ,the Arabs ,the Italians ,Spanish as well as other Europeans, whose first language is not the English language .
Some Nigerians have lost their sense of identity. that is why they crave for another mans own. Such act is called complex ..It means you are ashamed of who you are .
Look at Ngozi Okonjo Iweala .She still speak with her Nigerian accent and has been able to attained one of the highest career hierarchy in in the US. This is a woman that has been staying in the U.S since in the 70s but still retained her accent .. very original and true to herself by wearing her African cloths to crown it all.
Look at Chimamanda Adichie.. she is a writer and well read but she still kept her Nigerians accent which add to her uniqueness in what she does .
Let us be original and the world will appreciate what you have .
When Nigerian musicians were busy coping the west, they didn’t get any glance from them but immediately they went indigenous the world started listening to our songs and even recognizing our artist .
Don't mind our people with inferiority complex. How dare you call me out for having an accent when I'm not a native speaker of your language? You can't even pronounce my name right even if you try for 10 years and I don't care, it's not about how you pronounce my name, it's about communicating and I will know when you pronounce my name, accent or not.

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by PAWG(m): 1:22pm On Apr 07, 2021
Who is he to decide who's illiterate or not?

IMHO, Sounding Igbotic or not should not decide a person's literacy.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Forumobserver12(m): 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2021
Ladycewhy:
Is that so? tell me more ,I am genuinely curious.

Well I am one of the lucky ones that don't have my tribe accent ,when I tell people where I am from,the response I usually get is " but you don't sound like people from there". Even the pidgin accent leads people to make wrong assumptions about my state of origin.

So you consider yourself lucky because you don't sound like people from your tribe?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by omonnakoda: 1:33pm On Apr 07, 2021
PAWG:

IMHO, Sounding Igbotic or not should not decide a person's literacy.
Did anyone say that it does?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Forumobserver12(m): 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2021
omoharry:
It is called inferiority complex .The Indians speaks English with their accent and they are proud of it ,so are the Chinese ,the Arabs ,the Italians ,Spanish as well as other Europeans, whose first language is not the English language .
Some Nigerians have lost their sense of identity. that is why they crave for another mans own. Such act is called complex ..It means you are ashamed of who you are .
Look at Ngozi Okonjo Iweala .She still speak with her Nigerian accent and has been able to attained one of the highest career hierarchy in in the US. This is a woman that has been staying in the U.S since in the 70s but still retained her accent .. very original and true to herself by wearing her African cloths to crown it all.
Look at Chimamanda Adichie.. she is a writer and well read but she still kept her Nigerians accent which add to her uniqueness in what she does .
Let us be original and the world will appreciate what you have .
When Nigerian musicians were busy coping the west, they didn’t get any glance from them but immediately they went indigenous the world started listening to our songs and even recognizing our artist .

Enough said... nothing to add or remove from your comment..

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Ladycewhy(f): 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
Forumobserver12:

So you consider yourself lucky because you don't sound like people from your tribe?
Nope because I can't be pinned to any tribe. some think I am ibo ,some call me delta ,some even call me Yoruba. I love the mystery.Remember people were fished out and killed during the civil war just by their accent. To those people their accent sent them to their graves ,so those without an accent as at that time will definitely consider themselves lucky.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by PAWG(m): 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
omonnakoda:
Did anyone say that it does?

Quoting and taking sides with Rudeboy: "...you see those people who think you are an illiterate when you sound like that"
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Ladycewhy(f): 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2021
omonnakoda:
How or why is it "lucky" not to have your "tribe" accent

Is there anything shameful about your "tribe"?

Do you really know the meaning of the word "tribe"?
Some have called me ibo ,some have called me delta ,some have called me Yoruba. The mystery is what makes it "lucky". If a second civil war should break out ,I can just blend in anywhere depends on who they are fishing out.

And I would like you to point out where I said I was ashamed of my tribe or you just want to be silly?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by ppogba: 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2021
omonnakoda:
This is very ignorant
Britain has more that a dozen accents. Have you ever travelled across Britain?

I suggest you go to Dudley, Sunderland, Liverpool or Glasgow. There is nothing perfect about it.

The way people speak in Britain is largely determined by social class and schooling

The "best" accent would have to be the one most people understand. That would vary from country to country.

Since most English speakers can be found in Nigeria , India the US etc. The Nigerian accent would have to be one of the best

You are very correct.

It may sound odd or unbelievable but do you know that Elizerbeth II herself was mocked when she was installed as queen for having an accent?

Many, i AM SURE have never heard this before.

On this issue of sounding more phonetic that the original, a few days ago, I was shocked to hear ROSEMARY CHURCH of CNN pronounce MINESOTA with the T well pronounced while Nigerians that have spent barely 2 months in US will tell you it is MINESORA!

FACT is, if you spent the first ten years of your life in Naija BUT LATER COME UP WITH AN ACCENT after 20 years else where, You are nothing but fake.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by WORLDISMYPARISH(m): 1:49pm On Apr 07, 2021
Expecially when you come across them in exams like IELTS
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Mikeal09: 1:49pm On Apr 07, 2021
SOCIOLINGUISTICS;
ACCENT.
Google is your friend.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Apktotheworld: 1:50pm On Apr 07, 2021
inumidun2010:
if I speak English and you don understand wetin I talk, Ces't fini... If I use Ogbomosho accent, Na your Problem be dat...
If you want me to form POSH, I sabi that one ehn....
That's how they will be singing in choir, you won't understand what they are singing.. They will now be furious complaining that the Sound Engineer lowered their MIC.. Aunty Sing, this is not KARAOKE or LIP SYNC
Kai. I dey guilty of that choir thing especially when we do Kirk Franklin or Donald Lawrence place. Trying to get better and sound original though.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by AlphaSoul: 1:55pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:
Way back people were mocked for being too indigenous, the goal was to be foreign. Someone would open their mouth waaa and say “you speak your language too much”. Are you okay? Which language e for speak?

Thankfully all that is changing. I think the commercialization of indigenous rap (and comedy) also played a role. Some people started to feel bad that they couldn’t speak fluently, enough to make some money out of it or even understand the jokes.

People want to be like Phyno or Olamide. Now everyone is tapping into their localness.

We are making progress, we would get there...
To bring more clarity, we have
Fela Anikulapo-Kuti to thank for making it cool (through his eclectic songs) to speak pidgin-English and
Yoruba for example in the public domain such as in schools/campuses.

Back in the day when I attended cosmopolitan schools in
Nigeria with the children of expats
from Jamaica, USA, Ghana, UK, etc,
during the oil-boom era, we were told in private and public schools not to speak vernacular.

Today I see guys rocking their
Nigerian languages and pidgin with pride, even in the UK and the US.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by DonBenny77(m): 1:59pm On Apr 07, 2021
Bayelsatic
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by WORLDISMYPARISH(m): 2:02pm On Apr 07, 2021
If Prof soludo can sound igbotic
Oby ezekwesili igbotic
Okonjo iwuala igbotic
Ndi okereke igbotic
Stella oduah igbotic
Kingsley moghalu igbotic
Peter obi igbotic
Ben onyiudo igbotic.etc
And each of them is a guru in his or her field, I think we should stop suffering from inferiority complex or societal aggrandizement.if you are an Igbo remain one, wherever you come from be proud of yourself, God created you there for a purpose.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by seyz91(m): 2:09pm On Apr 07, 2021
obviously you no well cheesy
LMS1:
Some Of Us That Grew Up Outside Nigeria And Above The Continent We Dont Sound Either Igbotic, Yorubatic, Hausatic Or Fulanitic,
Rather We Sound Slawomirrtic,
For Intance This Is How We Speak:
"Damn Nigaarr!,
Dont You Want Some Dope Powper Ina Fi Life?,
Hey Niggar, U Talking Bout Me?,
Stay Clear Niggar Cus Am A Bad B.itch And You Dont Wanna Bleep With Me,
Dude You Okay! Dont Cough Blood Ina Di Streets, Do yu Want The Cops To Trace Our Ass?
You Are Bomboclat Niggar!!
Bomboclat!!

Jor I Nor Well grin
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Stanleyville(m): 2:11pm On Apr 07, 2021
In your mind have you made any sence with the rubbish you just talk now.....yo always capping nansence I can't comprehend thinking yo making sence..

LMS1:
Some Of Us That Grew Up Outside Nigeria And Above The Continent We Dont Sound Either Igbotic, Yorubatic, Hausatic Or Fulanitic,
Rather We Sound Slawomirrtic,
For Intance This Is How We Speak:
"Damn Nigaarr!,
Dont You Want Some Dope Powper Ina Fi Life?,
Hey Niggar, U Talking Bout Me?,
Stay Clear Niggar Cus Am A Bad B.itch And You Dont Wanna Bleep With Me,
Dude You Okay! Dont Cough Blood Ina Di Streets, Do yu Want The Cops To Trace Our Ass?
You Are Bomboclat Niggar!!
Bomboclat!!

Jor I Nor Well grin
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Stanleyville(m): 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2021
shocked

Come to UAE and listen to English spoken by even your kabayan bosses at work..yet you will bend your own English to please them and lick their assess..
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by jeff1607(m): 2:14pm On Apr 07, 2021
Draslo:
He's not lying. I swear, if you have a sit-down with some of Nigeria's richest men, the dialect in their accent is unmistakable. There's nothing to be ashamed about it. I actively keep my accent Nigerian no matter where I go or how long I stay there. Some people will go to Egypt, spend 1-2 years there, come back and start speaking in a strange accent that is neither British, American, Arabic or Nigerian. (Footballers, I'm looking at you o! Learn from Kanu Nwankwo)
grin

I was shocked the day I met ex-BBN housemate, Mercy. Her accent is not sexy at all but the girl's got business brain.

Business brain ke? Mercy?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by LMS1(m): 2:18pm On Apr 07, 2021
Stanleyville:
In your mind have you made any sence with the rubbish you just talk now.....yo always capping nansence I can't comprehend thinking yo making sence..

Sorry o grin grin

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by emapeteum(m): 2:19pm On Apr 07, 2021
Inasmuch as I agree with you Sir, western culture is becoming a global culture.If you want to go global,you have to accept the reality on ground.I appreciate my culture so much but we have to flow with the tide in-order to compete globally.One may say how about the far east,the Chinese? Did you know Chinese parent are paying so much for their kids to study English so they can study in American Universities?However, don't despise anyone who cannot speak English properly,is not an indicator of intelligence.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Kingstanding: 2:21pm On Apr 07, 2021
Millimann:
Even some of those people that sound like Brits can't write well.
. You're 100% right. I'm talking from experienced, they can speak Queen's English give 80% of them to write" Elephant" na big problem be dat o.

1 Like

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Lamanii22(f): 2:31pm On Apr 07, 2021
pocohantas:
I will never forget this colleague of mine who had her university education in the UK. She also had her Masters and a professional course. She had all this as a graduate trainee. Chick was intelligent, but there was a “problem”. Bola (not real name) had a strong h-factor which affected her presentations and killed her zeal to handle public speaking.

Public speaking was one of our courses and the girl fell sick before the day sef. Anxiety wan kill am. When we were practicing among ourselves, she never finished her speech. We would be giggling when she calls hair, air and things like that. We never meant any harm, but we just couldn’t hold back the laughter. Though with time some of us, especially those in her group learned to suck it up.

The day we were supposed to present, our Chief HR officer was there, along with some other top officials. She got on the stage all dressed in her suit, said a few sentences and the giggling started. She tried to continue, but alas, she dropped the microphone and ran out of the hall, she was just crying “I can’t do this, I can’t”.

It was a turning point in our training as the whole class started crying. That was the last day we laughed at her or any other person. Laughed out o, because some people wan explode from holding back laughter. cheesy

Awwwww what about her now?
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by pocohantas(f): 2:32pm On Apr 07, 2021
Lamanii22:

Awwwww what about her now?

She is very fine. Still a shy one, but she is doing well. Thanks. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Kondomatic(m): 2:42pm On Apr 07, 2021
JovialJune:

Jeez I can imagine how you sound like grin
Please don't start grin
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by Silentgroper(m): 2:43pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kondomatic:
Back then when we still do "VN Thread" on here. I uploaded my own Voice Note jejely and one girl said that I have a thick "Igbotic Accent" and I asked her If I am supposed to sound like a Jamaican.

We too dey overdo things in this country.
Voice note, "on here" .. I do not understand.
Re: Rudeboy: You Are An Illiterate If You Mock One For Sounding Igbotic, Yorubatic by omonnakoda: 3:02pm On Apr 07, 2021
ppogba:

You are very correct.

It may sound odd or unbelievable but do you know that Elizerbeth II herself was mocked when she was installed as queen for having an accent?

Many, i AM SURE have never heard this before.

On this issue of sounding more phonetic that the original, a few days ago, I was shocked to hear ROSEMARY CHURCH of CNN pronounce MINESOTA with the T well pronounced while Nigerians that have spent barely 2 months in US will tell you it is MINESORA!

FACT is, if you spent the first ten years of your life in Naija BUT LATER COME UP WITH AN ACCENT after 20 years else where, You are nothing but fake.

lol
It is impossible for ANYONE not to have an accent .
Anyway I do not agree that acquired "accents" are fake always . It depends on what you mean by "fake".

There are many reasons why this may happen . Primarily it serves the purpose of "fitting in" or trying to avoid unnecessary attention/discrimination which is a legitimate survival drive

Let us start at home with our own pidgin .

If you move from Aba or Port Harcourt to Sapele or Warri at the ages you mention and spend 10 years in those places your accent and or diction likely will change.
It depends on who you spend time with . The phenomenon is called "echoing" and applies not just to the way we speak but gestures and exclamations.
Indians have this funny thing they do with their heads and some Nigeria arrive from India after many years doing the same thing grin

The same applies to Yoruba .

Speakers from Oyo or Ekiti who move to Lagos will often change the way they speak.

You see some none Yorubas after many years in Lagos shouting " haaa!!" all over the place
If you listen to our leaders who took over at independence many had "colonial" accents that have changed over the years and become more "African"

This echoing phenomena applies to many things not just language

It can explain convergence but also divergence e.g why did the American accent or the Australian accent develop in the first place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goldie - I Truly Loved Prezzo But He Betrayed My Trust / Oyenike Yusuf Wishes For Seun Egbegbe’s Return Soon / Top Ten Hottest New Artistes In 2021 By Iamsynord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.