Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,100 members, 7,818,289 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

God Exists- This Is Why Atheists Keep Attacking & Going Against Christians. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Exists- This Is Why Atheists Keep Attacking & Going Against Christians. (1048 Views)

Why Atheists And The People Of The World Attack Christians! / If You Don't Believe God Exists, This True Life Story Will Change Your Mind / Christian Prince - For Muslim Who Keep Attacking Paul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: God Exists- This Is Why Atheists Keep Attacking & Going Against Christians. by Hashabiah: 2:12am On Apr 07, 2021
hiddendude:

I did point out that I believe in an objective moral standard. Immanuel Kant believed same but according to him, morals take root in intellect. To know what is moral according to him, is to envision what it would be like for an action to be universalized and if it produces a conceptual contradiction, then it isn't moral. He states this formally as:

"Act only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction"

Take stealing as an example. If one has the urge to steal, they should first consider the maxim of stealing (i.e the rule behind the concept of stealing or what stealing assumes or presupposes). Stealing is a concept that presupposes that there is such a thing as a private or personal property and if one intends to make a thing their own by illegally obtaining it, then they're universalizing stealing (saying there is no such thing as private property) and if there cannot be private property, there cannot be such a thing as stealing because it begs the idea of private property to be a thing. Hence, stealing is self-contradictory and cannot be moral.

This way Kant said, we'd realize moral truths without God. The objective moral standard in this case, is logic or intellect.

Ps: Kant actually believed in God.
Kant was just assuming. Because there is no justifiable reason for why something is good or bad. In essence, the abilty to discern right from wrong stem from the heart of every individual on this earth irrespective of intellectual prowess, religious affiliation or tribal allegiance. Which bring the question : how then can you know that what you are doing is right or wrong?

But from my perspective, we knowing right from wrong comes from a standard higher than us(which happens to be God's nature). This standard comes from something outside our humanity.
Re: God Exists- This Is Why Atheists Keep Attacking & Going Against Christians. by hiddendude: 8:57am On Apr 07, 2021
Hashabiah:
Kant was just assuming
And you think you're not making assumptions? You now call Kant's theory an assumption because it doesn't sit well with you?
Because there is no justifiable reason for why something is good or bad. In essence, the abilty to discern right from wrong stem from the heart of every individual on this earth irrespective of intellectual prowess, religious affiliation or tribal allegiance. Which bring the question : how then can you know that what you are doing is right or wrong?

Kant's theory still goes. What isn't moral is conceptually contradictory. I cannot imagine a universe replete with stealing or lying without conceiving of a contradiction, hence I should not steal or lie.

But from my perspective, we knowing right from wrong comes from a standard higher than us(which happens to be God's nature). This standard comes from something outside our humanity.

And you can prove this how?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Early Church Magnified The Name Of Jesus! / The Power Of Silence By Apostle Joshua Selman / What Does "Elohim" Really Mean, God or gods or both?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.