Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) (46665 Views)

Victory Gbakara Wins Nigerian Idol S8 / Nigerian Idol: Dbanj’s Facial Expression Got People Talking / Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 10:13pm On Apr 08, 2021
The above mentioned music reality show currently running on DSTV and GOTV platforms may likely be the "wackiest" (for want of words) music reality show in recent times going by the quality of opinions thus far by the jury, made up of a 3man panel of Obi Asika; a Record Label Exec, Seyi Shay; a perpetual upcoming artiste going by the unpopularity of most, if not all her songs and DJ Sose; who at best is skillful at selecting songs that'll mostly appeal to club audiences.

One would have thought the record label executive in the person of Asika, who ordinarily should have been exposed to artistes of various kinds, will as a father figure, be in full control of the selection process, by way of influencing the opinions of the others even though the antecedents of past judges on the show clearly sets a pace for divergence in opinions that in the end, engenders a robust decision for or against the candidates. This is terribly in deficit this time on the show, as as much as a snarl from the perpetual upcoming artiste is enough influence of the opinions of two supposedly mature and independently minded men. Sose even managed to take his obvious lack of knowledge of music and consequently, a lack of sound judgement to annoying levels by always concurring to whatever Seyi Shay breathes, despite his body language telling otherwise.

All of the above is obvious in the audition of the young music producer, whose image you'll find attached to this post. I can bet that IK, the show host was shell shocked that the young man had to be turned down for no reasonable point, except for displaying his musical dexterity. If that's a crime, then pray tell me what Idols is all about?

I was part of the very first Idol show in Nigeria that produced the likes of Timi Dakolo and Omawunmi and what I can clearly remember is that singing foreign songs or even displaying your vocal dexterity wasn't a crime. If it was compulsory for candidates to do local pangolo songs for the show to be seen as "Nigerian Idol", like Miss Shay foolishly posits, then I dare the show organisers to switch the nomenclature to "Naija Oosa/Ojuju etc" and compel the judges to speak Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.

Besides, in the first Idol show in Nigeria, the jury made up of seasoned music industry legend like Dede Mabiaku, Radio Joc; Dan Foster and a Ghanian lady popularly referred to as "It's not werking for me" had their independent opinions of the candidates even though one out of the trio always played the devil's advocate.

Question now is; who the hell is the devil's advocate that'll ensure a robust decision making process in the ongoing Idol show, when from all we see, all trio are sleeping with their heads in the same direction??

Reason the current panel needs to be disbanded, asides the joke Seyi Shay has made of the show by unprofessionally making mockery of young chaps she is meant to encourage, thereby wreaking psychological damages that may be indelible in the lives of the up and coming generation.

PS: I don't know the guy being auditioned in the attached pictures as I am speaking for countless others that are in my opinion, obviously far ahead of the judges musically, but were turned down.

150 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by frostland(m): 10:21pm On Apr 08, 2021
Asin enh

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by falcon01: 10:51pm On Apr 08, 2021
grammar

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by rexchazy(m): 11:15pm On Apr 08, 2021
Me too
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by meobizy(f): 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2021
A video of the event would make more sense. I have no idea what I should get triggered over. As usual, Nigerians are not watching this show nor The Voice. If it was a three lettered twenty-four hour show, the front page would receive at least eight updates daily. We're going to the third week of both talent shows and only one update has smelt front page so far.

187 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 4:25pm On Apr 09, 2021
Of course

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 5:45pm On Apr 09, 2021
meobizy:
A video of the event would make more sense. I have no idea what I should get triggered over. As usual, Nigerians are not watching this show nor The Voice. If it was a three lettered twenty-four hour show, the front page would receive at least eight updates daily. We're going to the third week of both talent shows and only one update has smelt front page so far.

Wanted to put up a you tube link but can't even upload at the moment cos of the app requesting an update that's simply not going through on the Play Store. Will see if I can get that guy's audition link from their site.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 3:55pm On Apr 11, 2021
Sose is beginning to see why he should have his independent opinion after the perpetual upcoming artiste stylishly gave him a jab.

35 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Osebanjo(m): 7:09pm On Apr 11, 2021
You are a wonderful writer and a wonderful critic too. Thumbs up to you.

182 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 2:34pm On Apr 13, 2021
Osebanjo:
You are a wonderful writer and a wonderful critic too. Thumbs up to you.

Thanks. Just concerned for the young ones. Saw a musically sound lady from Ondo state get discouraged yesterday for nothing.

138 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Osebanjo(m): 4:16pm On Apr 17, 2021
stancydg:

Thanks. Just concerned for the young ones. Saw a musically sound lady from Ondo state get discouraged yesterday for nothing.
Do you by chance still remember her name please?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Ofemmanutosure: 5:03pm On Apr 17, 2021
Osebanjo:
Do you by chance still remember her name please?

Think her name is Damilola

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by frankmoney(m): 7:54pm On Apr 18, 2021
Agreed.... Get two vocalists and a talent manager as judges

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by merits(m): 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2021
cheesy the show don't just freak me I don't know why.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by MackIV(m): 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2021
grin
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Akfrenzy(m): 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2021
Fire her

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by olola4(m): 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2021
Especially Sheyi Shay

105 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by GeneralPula: 7:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
Continuation from the moniker above me..

I wonder why they don’t use real music legends like lagbaja and co..

Sheyi shay wey no sabi sing, nah she wan pick talent..

147 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Dailymice: 7:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
sad
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by SodO9: 7:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
I agree
That tattoo wearing DJ and seyi shey are biased and useless

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by iampeterben(m): 7:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
Well said oh, this Shey Shay ni dey vex me pass followed by that tattooed face DJ. Make d two of them waka.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Numerouno94(m): 7:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
I luv ur criticism; devoid of sentiment, nd ur writing skill is top notch.

NumeroUno is impressed.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by bigdammyj: 7:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
Noted

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by ChizzyBuna(m): 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
No way
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by foeedaba: 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
Shebi they should have invited Davido, Whizkid, and Burna boy to make up the panel of judges.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Romanoff(f): 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
Rotfl.

Seyi Shay shouldn't be there.

I don't know Obi Asika so I can't speak for his expertise.

DJ Sose, why is a DJ even there?

Unlike the Voice, there is no benchmark for quality on Nigerian Idol.

Today, Seyi cut corners for one talentless girl she knows claiming she will give her a chance cause she knows she can sing, even after a messed up performance.

104 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Otasikwe(m): 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
So nobody fit bring Leicester vs Southampton match come here ?

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by WeakAlgorithm: 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
Why?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
Wahala
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Matheusmartin: 7:58pm On Apr 18, 2021
Especially that failed musician - seyi shay..

Ugly she goat..

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by berryPee(m): 7:58pm On Apr 18, 2021
Wetin me know for music sef grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Timaya - Bum Bum [video] + Download / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. / Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.