Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,938 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? (8136 Views)

Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / Career Choice.: Between Learning Tailoring And Venturing Into Pharmacy. / I Need Your Candid Advise On Career Choice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by alphaconde(m): 4:34pm On Apr 23, 2021
people no de hear advice again o
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Toceenay(m): 4:35pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:
Happy Sunday fellow NL, am just enquiring on the career path of counselling and therapy in Nigeria.

Is it really a good career path?

It all depends on the branch of counselling you want to explore and to what level... If you just want to stop at First degree, I'll say it doesn't worth it in this country.... But if you wish to move higher (Masters, PhD) then it's a good one.

You can work at any HR establishment or set up your own. But that still boils down to which counselling part you wish to take. Career counselling, Clinical, spiritual, relationship & marriage, educational... etc

6 Likes

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Judolisco(m): 4:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
Definitely not in Nigeria
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OlujobaSamuel: 4:37pm On Apr 23, 2021
Ashirioluwa:

Currently not in Nigeria even if you offer to do it for free
I've seen one before, it was even boldly written that it is free on the door.
Counseling in Nigeria is just like pastoral calling, just see your reward for heaven

4 Likes

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by CodedWealth(m): 4:40pm On Apr 23, 2021
FrankBass281:
You need to move out of Nigeria first
Pls if you know any online site where one can make money with phone quote me.lets not be stingy with information abeg

PetronPay

Invested $1,999 in Bitcoin dollar

Getting 2.5% daily for 200 days

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Asour: 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2021
Good ? Sure if you're passionate about it go on.

BUT.

If you also want to make a good living, it's not a reputably lucrative profession.

IF having a decently lucrative job means a lot to you don't do it.

Check other lucrative roles for which you have passions too. Passion isn't tied to one thing alone.

1 Like

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by PrettySmart(m): 4:45pm On Apr 23, 2021
IME1:
Yes

For the guy above me dont make a mockery of the call of pastorship (shepherding)
There are fake pastors just as they are fake lawyers, doctors, teachers and mechanics

Ednut you won't tell a man to rub grease on his hands and overall, hold spanner and screwdriver, park a few old cars with open bonnet then boom he don hammer?

Please respect the Christian leadership, terms and faith
I won't say so about another religion

Counselling is a fantastic career op, go for it, but you need emotional strength, maturity and thick skin
You will hear things and you must be wise to direct the person aright
God help us

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by gadomi(m): 4:50pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

Thanks brother, please do you know some appropriate courses for it.
guidance and counselling as a course of study is cool.
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Oju4190: 4:53pm On Apr 23, 2021
ednut1:
Better to become a pastor. Stage some fake miracles then you don hammer.
Guy nor go dey ooo....Unless u won condemn Ur KIDNEY
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 4:55pm On Apr 23, 2021
Toceenay:

It all depends on the branch of counselling you want to explore and to what level... If you just want to stop at First degree, I'll say it doesn't worth it in this country.... But if you wish to move higher (Masters, PhD) then it's a good one.

You can work at any HR establishment or set up your own. But that still boils down to which counselling part you wish to take. Career counselling, Clinical, spiritual, relationship & marriage, educational... etc

Alright, am considering career counseling, relationship and marriage.
But how good is it outside Naija

1 Like

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 5:00pm On Apr 23, 2021
Gobmog:
Do you intend to practice in Nigeria? NO
Plan on practising outside NIGERIA , buh if i can get an NGO then its a good one
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Capeverde: 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2021
Back up plan business to boost your pocket DIY nylon production business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht-GJ7cDVy8?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by ednut1(m): 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2021
Oju4190:
Guy nor go dey ooo....Unless u won condemn Ur KIDNEY
kidney wey go spoil go spoil
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by FrankBass281(m): 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2021
CodedWealth:

PetronPay

Invested $1,999 in Bitcoin dollar

Getting 2.5% daily for 200 days
I would have loved to but I don't have this amount for investment
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2021
Justice505:
I study guidance and counselling.

It's a good course, but here in Nigeria is a waste of time. Unless you intent to practice outside or go into pastoring.

how have the experience been
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 5:07pm On Apr 23, 2021
IME1:
Yes

For the guy above me dont make a mockery of the call of pastorship (shepherding)
There are fake pastors just as they are fake lawyers, doctors, teachers and mechanics

Ednut you won't tell a man to rub grease on his hands and overall, hold spanner and screwdriver, park a few old cars with open bonnet then boom he don hammer?

Please respect the Christian leadership, terms and faith
I won't say so about another religion

Counselling is a fantastic career op, go for it, but you need emotional strength, maturity and thick skin
You will hear things and you must be wise to direct the person aright
God help us

Thanks man, are u in the field?
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 5:09pm On Apr 23, 2021
FrankBass281:
You need to move out of Nigeria first
Pls if you know any online site where one can make money with phone quote me.lets not be stingy with information abeg

scooper news, operanewshub

1 Like

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by FrankBass281(m): 5:12pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

scooper news, operanewshub
Thanks boss
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Toceenay(m): 5:14pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

Outside Nigeria it's really good, because it's one of the professions that developed countries take seriously. It's among the Top 10 most paid profession in these countries, especially if you are certified by the government and/or become a consultant.
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by CodedWealth(m): 5:15pm On Apr 23, 2021
FrankBass281:

I would have loved to but I don't have this amount for investment

Barrel packages starting from $25 to $1,999

PaytronPay trades petroleum!
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Mindlog: 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

Do you already have a degree in Psychology?
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by moorevic(m): 5:24pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:
Happy Sunday fellow NL, am just enquiring on the career path of counselling and therapy in Nigeria.

Is it really a good career path?
Hunger go wire you for naija.
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by vioment: 5:26pm On Apr 23, 2021
It is.

Just don't settle for the surface, go deeper. There is something there.

Get even better in your communication skills and manners, to enhance your career. In Nigeria, Africa, or overseas.
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 5:27pm On Apr 23, 2021
Mindlog:

Do you already have a degree in Psychology?

Not yet bro, took in for jamb last yeaar currently awaiting admission due to Covid
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Mindlog: 5:28pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

Not yet bro, took in for jamb last yeaar currently awaiting admission due to Covid

Which course did you apply for?
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by OcholaKings: 5:31pm On Apr 23, 2021
Mindlog:

Which course did you apply for?
Guidance and Counseling
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Mindlog: 5:42pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

Guidance and Counseling

Did you purposely choose the course?
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Justice505: 6:05pm On Apr 23, 2021
OcholaKings:

how have the experience been
To me is not cool, I'm not practicing what i study, infact I'm doing something different from what my parents wasted enough money for me to achieve.
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Cashio(m): 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2021
a lady I know is currently teaching in a primary school after graduation.
Truth is, your opportunity of finding a good job with that course is very minimal.
Unless perhaps you graduate with a good grade and become a lecturer.
Truth is, most people who studied that course never did so intentionally. They only settled for that because that was what their institution gave them.
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Multiplier7(m): 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2021
As a Guidance Counselor in the making, I have come to fall in love with the courses so far

Your ability to understand certain deviances and using Psychotherapy technique to solve people's problem is a nice feeling
Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by Crenzywilliams(m): 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2021
Yes it is a really good career choice my dear, it's got all the excitement and it's also a career that can well enough carter for you and your needs!...

But, not just in Nigeria, cos in Nigeria you'll be so frustrated, broke and disappointed that you'll need your own psychiatrist.

1 Like

Re: Is Counselling A Good Career Choice? by babythug(f): 6:27pm On Apr 23, 2021
It’s gradually gaining traction in Nigeria as people are becoming more aware of mental health issues. There are job opportunities too if you look in the right direction.

Good luck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Job Professions Of High Demand In Canada That Leads To Work/permanent Residence / Do You Have A Career Mentor? / Deeper Life To Graduate 355 Skill Acquisition Participants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.