Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Not More Than 28 Years - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Not More Than 28 Years (11666 Views)

Obafemi Awolowo University Job Recruitment 2017 (28 Positions) / Foremost Indigenous Oil & Gas Company Fresh Job Recruitment (28 Positions) / Fresh Jobs Recruitment In A Multinational Telecom Company (28 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not More Than 28 Years by AAbuja: 6:21am On Apr 12, 2021
I am sure you must have come about this on many recruitment/vacancy requirements. What's the fate of those hardworking fellows who are over 30.

What's the fate of those hardworking fellows who were not fortunate enough to gain admission early or was caught up in a low pace education system as a result of incessant strikes.

3 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Nobody: 6:32am On Apr 12, 2021
That is why it's good to be entreprenural minded.
I shall try my best to further my education, possibly this year, but i will never go with the mindset of being job ready, but to meet other intellectuals and create value.

Although, we are not all the same, it is the fault of those who are faced with higher responsibility but refuse to be responsible, it is also the fault of those who are faced with lower responsibility, but chose to be unserious.

Infact, our abated society is our collective fault, and i shall correct whats wrong, at my own time.

12 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 14, 2021
Age limit should be placed on political office too. Can't have these dementia ridden dinosaurs running our country anymore

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by revvitandrenon: 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
At below 30, you have less responsibilities so you can settle for any salary amount and work like an elephant...

At above 30, you have more responsibilities and you may wanna negotiate salary....

Employees don't want that, they want to use you at your best and pay less

It's a simple tactics

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by HORLADY(m): 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
This age barrier is my greatest nightmare as I type though I am just two months shy of 36yrs. After serving Nigerian Navy for 16yrs, during which time I trained myself in the University, became a Chartered Accountant and currently pursuing my Masters Degree. I left the Navy to pursue my dream of working as an Accountant because I was in the Engineering branch while in the Navy. But two years later , I am still hunting for job. Nairalanders help me o

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by BigSarah(f): 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
Old age comes with reduced productivity, both physical and mental.
Don't attack me it's the truth, I didn't specify an age gap simply old age!

5 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Alejoas(m): 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
It favours those who attends private university
Re: Not More Than 28 Years by ayatt(m): 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
It is bullshit if you ask me.

The senate have to pass a law prohibiting/punishing any agency found doing this. There are intelligent graduates who have been affected by this age issue.

3 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Seniorwriter(m): 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
Madness.
Only in Nigeria will a company be requesting 10years experience with an age bracket of 22-30yrs eligibility! SMH.
Well i and so many of my prodigies earning between $50 - $200 on a daily are less concerned to hell with those job openings that offer the already devalued NAIRA!
NOTE:
Kindly reach me via the facebook ID on my profile for those that I haven't replied on my former Facebook.

@Seniorwriter

4 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Chimeluv(f): 10:03am On Apr 14, 2021
It only happens in a country that does not care about its workforce undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by ohosi4real(m): 10:04am On Apr 14, 2021
they want those to turn to kidnapping and robbery
Re: Not More Than 28 Years by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:04am On Apr 14, 2021
Depends on the industry. Never seen age requirements in IT.

3 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by The5DME(m): 10:04am On Apr 14, 2021
v
Re: Not More Than 28 Years by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:06am On Apr 14, 2021
Age limit for graduate trainee/entry level roles has become 24! Used to be 26.

These people forget that majority of Nigerians go to public schools where strike is the order of the day.

14 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by hakeem4(m): 10:08am On Apr 14, 2021
I believe age limit is discriminatory.

Imagine someone going to university at the age 20 to study engineering, a supposed 5 year course. Unfortunately for the fellow there’s strike which would affect him. Let’s assume the total strike costs him 1 year extra. It means he would graduate at the age of 26.

Wait for almost a year before his school forward their names for nysc = 27

Spend one year in nysc = 28

Spend another one year post nysc due to unemployment= 29.

Then he finds a job opportunity but the criteria is below 26 years of age.

So age limit is discriminatory

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by TGM2015: 10:09am On Apr 14, 2021
The first reason is to reduce number of applications as the labour market is saturated. Imagine getting millions of applications for an opening of less than 50. Some companies have gone further by stating year of graduation. You will see something like should have graduate not later than 2015.

Second reason is that, it is easier to blend young graduates to the culture and requirements of the job than older graduates. Like professionally brainwashing them to act/work in a particular way. It is very difficult to do that with someone with over 5 years life/work experience after graduation.

Third reasons is that, it is believed that the younger an entry level employee is, the more years he or she has to serve the company.

The good news now is that over the years the business world has now discovered that those philosophies of recruitment are not given the desire outcomes. In few years to come, companies, especially those international companies, will not be restricting recruitment by age. They have discovered that the older graduates are more loyal and experienced, and that they tend to give longer years of serving than the young graduates that statistics has shown to have an average of 2 years of service per company.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by oluwaseunamos33(m): 10:09am On Apr 14, 2021
i've been to US several time and i've never hear age limit. in Nigeria, age limit is purposely introduced to reduce number of job application due to large number of unemployed pple on ground

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by sojfarm: 10:14am On Apr 14, 2021
That is discrimination just like gender, tribe, ethnic discrimination.

Employability should be based on competence

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by wallay77(m): 10:16am On Apr 14, 2021
Age limit is only applicable to people who don't know anybody...

1 Like

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by BigBashiru: 10:16am On Apr 14, 2021
oluwaseunamos33:
i've been to US several time and i've never hear age limit. in Nigeria, age limit is purposely introduced to reduce number of job application due to large number of unemployed pple on ground

16 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by BigBashiru: 10:18am On Apr 14, 2021
sojfarm:
That is discrimination just like gender, tribe, ethnic discrimination.

Employability should be based on competence

the unenlightened black man is too dull to understand this. Stanbic ibtc conducts hiv test as a condition to hire - hiv is not infectious - it does not infect anyone in any office. the mind of the black man is the most evil and the most wicked - only in black africa are hiv tests conducted as a condition for employment in a non clinical setting.

Standard Chartered Nigeria Limited too conducts hiv tests - interestingly Standard Chartered Plc headquartered in London - it is against their policy to conduct hiv tests - but their nigerian franchise (Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Limited) headed by blacks with their backward thinking enacted hiv testing as a condition of employment.

7 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Duplexxx: 10:18am On Apr 14, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Cerebellum: 10:24am On Apr 14, 2021
Obviously. not everyone is born with a silver spoon, once you find yourself in an average or less privileged family...It takes time to make it bcoz even you have to fight to be successful

If my papa nah average otedola, Nah covenant or abroad A go study nah

Life hard

Hunger Bad

6 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Reex12(m): 10:24am On Apr 14, 2021
oluwaseunamos33:
very true too much ppl in the labour market
Re: Not More Than 28 Years by parkervero(m): 10:25am On Apr 14, 2021
Our opinions won't still count.

1 Like

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by sojfarm: 10:27am On Apr 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

the unenlightened black man is too dull to understand this. Stanbic ibtc conducts hiv test as a condition to hire - hiv is not infectious - it does not infect anyone in any office. the mind of the black man is the most evil and the most wicked - only in black africa are hiv tests conducted as a condition for employment in a non clinical setting.

Standard Chartered too conducts hiv tests - interestingly Standard Chartered Plc headquartered in London - it is against their policy to conduct hiv tests - but their nigerian franchise headed by blacks with their backward thinking enacted hiv testing as a condition of employment.

It is more prevalent because there is close to non-existence of labour rights regulation. That is heavy casualisation of labour in the banking industry. This led by the like of GTB, STanbic, and a number of other banks in Nigeria. The system is sustained by the practise of the bank directors by floating HR practice. They transfer the salaries of the so called contract staff to these HR companies; cut their own fees running into millions of naira monthly.

1 Like

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by BigBashiru: 10:28am On Apr 14, 2021
Reex12:
very true too much ppl in the labour market
US has a population of 300 million - there are more people in their labor market and so this is not an excuse. It is wickedness.

5 Likes

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by Cerebellum: 10:29am On Apr 14, 2021
BigSarah:

...with more responsibility
Re: Not More Than 28 Years by pickatyou1: 10:29am On Apr 14, 2021
The truth is in a society where system works, it is believed that at a particular age you should have a certain level of experience.
That said, when you consider the Nigeria factor you realize some persons graduate at 24, going for service and it's delays take like 1year six months, then welcome to the labour market it could take you 3 years and they will tell you the age limit is 25.

1 Like

Re: Not More Than 28 Years by charlesucheh(m): 10:29am On Apr 14, 2021
BigSarah:
Rubbish talk. that's why you couldn't garner any LIKES.

once the person is tested and can do the task, he gets the job! what have those within the age brackets done to savor our country industrially?

They even have to forge their ages certs and the rest to fit in. Oga! you speak like a Non Nigerian, Walahi!!!

Well done, only you turn Medical doctor (physical) and Psychologist (Mental). I no blame you....

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? / Ever Been Offered A Job That You Rejected By Email? / Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.