Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. (1338 Views)

Help With These Error Codes On Toyota Camry 2007 LE / Lagos State License Number Plate Codes & What They Mean / CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:37am On Apr 12, 2021
After I bought my own personal scanner some months ago, I noticed that I have this error codes after scanning the car.

P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1
Sensor 1
P0155 - O2 sensor heater circuit bank 2
Sensor 1
P0498 - Evaporative Emission System Vent
Valve Control Circuit Low
P2185 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High

Luckily the scanner has a little explano details of how to fix each error that came up but to my surprise, for the first 2 codes related to O2 sensors, I changed my O2 sensors for the mentioned banks and the error still didn't go away.

I don't even have any idea how to fix the last 2 errors. And my kazeem is terrible at reading error codes.

I should point out that the car gives no issues when driving apart from the smell of burnt fuel in the morning on cold start and a little stall sometimes when driving but I know from experience that even if the issue with your car has no effect at first, it's only a matter of time...
Personally I would have prefer to visit any of the well know automechs on this forum but they are either in Lagos or Abuja and that's far from Ondo state.
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by Inception(m): 2:08pm On Apr 12, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
After I bought my own personal scanner some months ago, I noticed that I have this error codes after scanning the car.

Sensor 1
Sensor 1

Luckily the scanner has a little explano details of how to fix each error that came up but to my surprise, for the first 2 codes related to O2 sensors, I changed my O2 sensors for the mentioned banks and the error still didn't go away.

I don't even have any idea how to fix the last 2 errors. And my kazeem is terrible at reading error codes.

I should point out that the car gives no issues when driving apart from the smell of burnt fuel in the morning on cold start and a little stall sometimes when driving but I know from experience that even if the issue with your car has no effect at first, it's only a matter of time...
Personally I would have prefer to visit any of the well know automechs on this forum but they are either in Lagos or Abuja and that's far from Ondo state.

You need to troubleshoot the wiring to those sensors.

You either have an open circuit or a short in the wiring.

Not an easy task you you may require the Vehicle repair manual.
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 5:34pm On Apr 12, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Sensor 1
Sensor 1

Whats is the vehicle model.

I will tell you what wires to probe and what you should test for.

Get a test lamp, and a multimeter.

If you are up for it, let me know
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:21pm On Apr 12, 2021
DMechy:

Whats is the vehicle model.

I will tell you what wires to probe and what you should test for.

Get a test lamp, and a multimeter.

If you are up for it, let me know
Acura TL 2012 (Base) I also have a test lamp so that's a go but I don't have a multimeter. Is there a way around that?

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 8:29pm On Apr 12, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Acura TL 2012 (Base) I also have a test lamp so that's a go but I don't have a multimeter. Is there a way around that?

Get a multimeter

A cheap one in ondo, should range between 1,500 - 2500

I will share the wiring diagram
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:25am On Apr 13, 2021
DMechy:

Get a multimeter

A cheap one in ondo, should range between 1,500 - 2500

I will share the wiring diagram
Okay, will do that in the morning... Thank you
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 5:13am On Apr 14, 2021

embarassed trying to say little to avoid a post restriction.

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 5:20am On Apr 14, 2021
Attached images.

Those in blue, with image numbers

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2021
Starting with you ECT sensor.

Why?

it is the easiest to diagnose, and affects closed loop for fuel trims, and evap operation.

Though the fault code from the oxygen sensor is from the heater circuit, i don't think they are related.

Diagnosis.

To diagnose a system, you need to understand how the system works and the Engine Coolant Temperature is not a complex system that is had to diagnose.

Though a simple system, it is very much significant for the optimum performance of your vehicle.

It feeds values to your Engine Control Module, a fault in the system can greatly affect your vehicle.

Systems that depends on the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

1. Main Input for cranking air/fuel ratio and warm up fuel curve.
- The colder the engine, the richer the ratio

i.e, a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature
sensor or system, can lead to high fuel consumption or incomplete combustion.

2. Input for electronic control Fan

With this input, the ECU knows when to turn your fan on. Of course, if the vehicle has not been abused and the fans connected direct.

3. One of the input for electronic climate control system

- Indicates heater core temperature.

4. One of the inputs for Idle speed control.

- Cold engine, fast idle speed.

The reason why vehicles have idle, then stabilize when first started in the morning.

5. Other systems

AC clutch, Egr Control, Air pump, spark timing, open and closed loop operation.

So. The Engine Coolant System can make

- Your ac not work, shuts off when overheating, or when it is assumed overheating due to fault in the system

- No EGR (Engine Gas Recirculation) on cold engine

-No air on warm engine

-No closed loop below 150 degree Fahnherite.

How does the System Work.

We will focus on type in yours. They are most times 2 wired or 3. The most common are the 2 wired.

The two wired.

- A ground

- Power(Not really power, but a 5v refrence)

The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is a thermistor. A Resistor that decreases in Resistance with increase in temperature. The variation in resistance is what the ECU uses in determining engine temperature.

The simple design, makes testing easy too.

How To Diagnose An Engine Coolant Temperature System.

In diagnosing A system, you need to analyze what could be wrong. The retrieved fault codes are the first pointers, makes diagnosis easy.

For the Acura.

Circuit: Leaning to a sensor not connected, a wiring problem or a bad sensor. It is also worthy of note, that a broken sensor will lead to a circuit fault too.

Circuit High:

-The sensor is probably not plugged,
- Open wire (broken wire)
-Bad Sensor

In this order.

Now, the best diagnostic tool is the cheapest in the market, Cost less than a A Naira.

Name: Your Senses.
Sense of sight, Smell,Taste, Feel.. Add.

So here, Before going all techy.

Do a physical Inspection.

Is your fan connected directly, this is a pointer to. Obviously, the ecu no longer controls the fan due to rewiring (abuse)

2. Check the Sensor

Is it connected?

Inspect the grips and connection. If all of this is Ok

Then Test.

What do you test.

Wiring Integrity.

All wires in a vehicle lead to the ECU and other modules that communicate with the ECU

With a wiring diagram and common sense, you become a pro in fixing cars.

It is good to use Google, it contains a wealth of information, but someone put that information there, which might not necessarily be the same fault with yours, and of course, if there is no someone with knowledge, there's no google.

Wiring Diagram.

Your ECT wires are Green and Red

Location, under engine compartment, near thermostat casing

From the Wiring Diagram
Green - 5v reference
Red - Sensor Ground
or either of them should be 5v

Both wires go to the ECU,

Test for Wiring integrity:.

From Diagnostic instruction, jumper the terminals, Check the dash, the temperature gauge should either go up or down.

This shows good wiring integrity. At this point, you should be worried about a bad sensor.

With the voltmeter, negative lead to Battery ground

Positive to the Green. You should read 5 volts, if not, test the red. One should.

5v confirms, wiring to the ecm is good.

Test red lead wire. : Should read 0.1 volts or less. Shows sensor ground is good.

If not, open in wire.

Test For the Sensor.

Put your multimeter in continuity mode, in continuity mode, theres a beeping sound to show continuity

Test the two leads of of the sensor. You should hear a beeping sound. no beeping sound. Sensor is bad.

Replace Sensor.

From The diagnostic code and experience: I think the sensor is not connected, or a bad sensor.

Whatever the problem is, the diagnostic test will reveal the fault.

Do this, lets get a feedback

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 1:12pm On Apr 15, 2021
The Oxygen Sensor and Evap Code

I have a hunch they are related, having gone through the wiring diagrams. To save diagnostic time, Check this first.

Fuse 14, in the fuse box. It is 15A, and PGM-FI sub relay, they both feed power to the evap valve and heater circuit.

Test.

With your tester end lead on negative terminal. Check if it works, by putting the test end on battery positive.

2. Probe the two ends of the fuse, the tester should light up on both ends. If only one lights up.

Remove fuse, physically inspect, and see if it is broken. If broken, replace fuse.

In fact, test all fuse in the fuse box and replace all broken fuse

Problem Solved.

Wipe code, and see if it comes back.

Step 3

If fuse is good!

Relay is next, swap the PGM-FI relay with a similar relay in the box

Wipe code, and start vehicle.

If fault returns, then we need to go through diagnostic steps.

This should be the problem.

Whether it is or not, we will go through the test process to diagnose the fault on both system for knowledge sake and in the interest of those following the thread.

Oga Kelvin30286063, come do work

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:47pm On Apr 15, 2021
DMechy:
The Oxygen Sensor and Evap Code

I have a hunch they are related, having gone through the wiring diagrams. To save diagnostic time, Check this first.

Fuse 14, in the fuse box. It is 15A, and PGM-FI sub relay, they both feed power to the evap valve and heater circuit.

Test.

With your tester end lead on negative terminal. Check if it works, by putting the test end on battery positive.

2. Probe the two ends of the fuse, the tester should light up on both ends. If only one lights up.

Remove fuse, physically inspect, and see if it is broken. If broken, replace fuse.

In fact, test all fuse in the fuse box and replace all broken fuse

Problem Solved.

Wipe code, and see if it comes back.

Step 3

If fuse is good!

Relay is next, swap the PGM-FI relay with a similar relay in the box

Wipe code, and start vehicle.

If fault returns, then we need to go through diagnostic steps.

This should be the problem.

Whether it is or not, we will go through the test process to diagnose the fault on both system for knowledge sake and in the interest of those following the thread.

Oga Kelvin30286063, come do work

Bros... I swear I'm confused.
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 4:05pm On Apr 15, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Bros... I swear I'm confused.

Test all all the fuse in your fuse box, replace all bad fuse

Then swap this relay with another in the fuse box

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 4:08pm On Apr 15, 2021
Have you bought the multimeter?

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 4:32pm On Apr 15, 2021
Locate your fuse box.

Remove the cover

The fuses are numbered on the cover.

Check for number 14, and identify it in the box. It is a 15A fuse

Remove it, and check if it is broken.

Do you understand?

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:13pm On Apr 15, 2021
DMechy:

Okay
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by DMechy: 7:56am On Apr 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Okay

DMechy:

Good morning.

Have you done this?

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by mayfag2: 5:58pm On Sep 16, 2021
DMechy where are u based? I have similar issue with my Acura TL 2010 model
Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by homeboy205: 7:12pm On Sep 16, 2021
DMechy:

Good morning.

Have you done this?

Good piece you got up there

1 Like

Re: How Do I Fix This Persistent Error Codes. by haslaw(m): 9:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Sensor 1
Sensor 1

Go to YouTube_or Google and type the error codes. You will find videos explaining the codes and how to diagnose them. Then you can tell your Mechanic what to do

(1) (Reply)

My 2004 Lexus RX 330 Enters Anti Theft Mode / Is Cheki Better Than Google Trader In Terms Of Checking Car Prices / The Reverse Gear Of My Volkswagen Sharon(vr6) Doesn't Engage!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.