Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed (44240 Views)

5 Signs That Indicates You Need Your Tyre Replaced / Lamborghini Huracam Is The World’s Fastest Camera Car With A Top Speed Of 125mph / The Devel Sixteen Hypercar With 5,007hp & 310mph Top Speed Is Unveiled In Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by gaftsoil(m): 11:07pm On Apr 17, 2021
bluefilm:

Story for the gods!

If my tires burst like this one:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13387500_screenshot202104122100482_jpeg91844f2ce64f264c7216198ad5a48a72

My first & ONLY instinct is to march my brake SOLIDLY.
That is very DANGERFUL
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by sixtus3606(m): 11:16pm On Apr 17, 2021
wandium:

Thanks for this jare, everybody just de shout don't step on the brake. As human, when you find your self in that kind of situation, the first reflex action that happens is going for the big brakes pedal.
If you have a busted tyre, you must not try to get the car to an immediate stop. You just apply you brake very very lightly and steer to calmly off the road. If you are driving an auto, push your gear to neutral steer firmly and apply your brake very very lightly still you are at a safe speed to get the car to a total stop.
Please note that it is not the same effect you get from a rear bursted tyre that you'd get from a front tyre.
If your front tyre gets bursted, you need all your energy to stay calm and composed, strong arms to hold your steering still for the first 3-5sec for the car to get a bit stable before you start trying to stop.
In any of the scenarios, don't ever try to bring your car to an immediate stop.

Thank you so much for sharing this sir. I have never thought about the putting the gear to NEUTRAL, before piloting to a soft stop.

I happen to be travelling from Ogba in Lagos to ilaro, Ogun state sometime in June last year. I was driving at 80km/ph on papalanto road, inward ilaro when suddenly, the rear right tyre bursted. I was the only one in the car, and all I could remember was allowing the slow down a bit, before softly applying the brake.

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING THE GEAR TO NEUTRAL.

I believe your say on shifting to NEUTRAL, before piloting to a final stop.

Thanks for sharing, sir.
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by OgbeniSamm(m): 11:19pm On Apr 17, 2021
Nice info
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by heartleboy: 11:25pm On Apr 17, 2021
bluefilm:

Story for the gods!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13387500_screenshot202104122100482_jpeg91844f2ce64f264c7216198ad5a48a72

Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by Judolisco(m): 1:18am On Apr 18, 2021
dlordy100:

tyre dn dy show for dashboard too?
not really it will jst show a caution sign like exclamation Mark! If there is an issue... If one of my tires Don dey less na like that I dey know

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by hansomb: 5:38am On Apr 18, 2021
bluefilm:

Story for the gods!

a word is enough for the wise.
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by supermarho: 7:14am On Apr 18, 2021
This has actually happened to me on the highway, driving at 140km/h, didn't panic just released my throttle slowly until the car stopped, front number was condemned though.
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by lebete3000: 7:33am On Apr 18, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Sometimes when your tyre bursts and you’re on high speed, the first instinct in your mind will be to panic and apply brake. But this can be really dangerous.

So train your mind to be calm in such a situation and try the following steps;

1. Don’t panic

2. Don’t apply brake; you’ll tumble

3. Switch your hazard lights on

4. Release the accelerator gradually

5. Keep car going straight; don’t steer

6. Let car gradually stop; don’t match brake!

#SafetyFirst

What if driving a Honda and your leg comot
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by GindoX(m): 7:38am On Apr 18, 2021
Keep the car going straight, don't steer? What if there's a bending or slite corner?
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by yeminero: 7:40am On Apr 18, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Sometimes when your tyre bursts and you’re on high speed, the first instinct in your mind will be to panic and apply brake. But this can be really dangerous.

1. Don’t panic

#SafetyFirst
This is educative enough. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by Mrtaye: 9:02am On Apr 18, 2021
crisycent:

Been driving before your father.

But your judgement didn't improve bro it's called defensive driving,dont fret in decision taking
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by cardoctor(m): 9:47am On Apr 18, 2021
Just pray it doesn't happen on a bend.
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by 9icetoo(m): 10:12am On Apr 18, 2021
bluefilm:

Story for the gods!

Depending on your speed:
1. You may lose control of the vehicle
2. End up in a ditch or whatever is on the side of the road.
3. Collide with a barrier or an oncoming vehicle
4. Flip you car
5. End up dead.

Don't touch the brakes.
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by KingsoChuks101(m): 10:26am On Apr 18, 2021
Good One
Nice Points
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by crisycent: 11:17am On Apr 18, 2021
Mrtaye:

But your judgement didn't improve bro it's called defensive driving,dont fret in decision taking

If you read correctly, I raised 2 issues; steering and brake application. What if a car stops abruptly in front of you?
What if you are on the fast lane? Do you want to remain there until the car comes to a halt on its on? The opinion raised by the OP are not realistic.

What would have made sense is; if you have to steer, do so gently and if you need to apply breaks, do so gently. I have been in a vehicle where a full tyre pulled off on high speed. Luckily I was in front of the vehicle and immediately held the steering wheel when the driver freaked out and started steering violently.
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by richboy7(m): 12:19pm On Apr 18, 2021
Annruby:
You will just shout Yeehh!!! moku ooo!!!!

LOL
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by wandium: 1:44pm On Apr 18, 2021
ofemigeorge:

What of during break failure?

Stay calm and keep pumping the brakes
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by Kaybaba5(m): 3:53pm On Apr 18, 2021
WiszyFraud:

1. Don’t panic

#SafetyFirst

Which one be released accelerator gradually
When u are driving automatic
I think this is for manual vehicle
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by ofemigeorge(m): 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2021
wandium:

Stay calm and keep pumping the brakes
shocked is that all. Ok and pray to God for the best
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by TemmyDayo50(m): 8:37am On May 23, 2021
Mightyhaiz:
Good direction,..but we know that while on the highway any unusual sound or movement within your visual field,you apply brakes on impulse/reflex.

The best suggestion remains observing all safety protocols and maintenance for your cars and parts. Most importantly avoid the urge to overspeed once on the smooth highway!

It has happened to me twice...Once in Jos and once along my route to osogbo from ife...same car on both occasions and was on moderate speed.. Funny enough, I didn't really panic on both occasions, didn't apply brake and the car gradually came to a stop... Glory be to God..

Always try to physically inspect your tyres
Don't put much pressure in your tyres. Don't go above the recommended tyre pressure for your car. Too much air can cause tyres to burst in motion.
I heard it's good to rotate your tyres once in a while.. I don't do this but it might be worth trying as experts said it's a good one for tyres to last longer...

Drive Safely!
Re: What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed by emmancecute(m): 2:08pm On May 23, 2021
Avoid tyre burst, buy high grade toks tyres with recent manufacture date. Contact in my signature

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Accident Involving A Bus, Jeep And Keke At Falomo Round About (photos) / Stolen Toyota Camry In Port Harcourt (Pictures) / Innoson Motors, Places Nigeria In The List Of Car Manufacturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.