Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,726 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad (20726 Views)

Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by obowunmi(m): 3:29am On Feb 27, 2012
I move from Las-gidi to the East coast frequently. tongue tongue
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by tayoTFC(m): 9:31am On Feb 27, 2012
JUST THEY TELL THEM THINGS NO EASY ,NO EASY, NO EASY TILL U BUILD UR MASSON ,DUPLEX HOME, ABI U NO DEY HEAR E NO EASY FAR BACK 80's till tomorrow my uncle that have spend over 40 yrs in UK kingsland way SE LONDON. still they sing the music E no easy, thank God have build my own house,work in oil and gas coy, so when he call me after he heard that i just build house i told him uncle e no easy, the man was just laughing , "TAYO e no easy u do marriage u no tell me, e no easy u buy Galaxy ford and camry , e no easy u don build house ok ooo just assist ur brother segun cos the boy want do master for scouthland, "
i told him uncle e no easy ooo ,e no easy oooo sinceuncle dey uk he is in the best position to assist segun , since then over 4 month now uncle no dey gree call me again , so do u best and leave the rest in the name e no easy,
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by ojdollars(m): 10:19am On Feb 27, 2012
tayoTFC:

JUST THEY TELL THEM THINGS NO EASY ,NO EASY, NO EASY TILL U BUILD UR MASSON ,DUPLEX HOME, ABI U NO DEY HEAR E NO EASY FAR BACK 80's till tomorrow my uncle that have spend over 40 yrs in UK kingsland way SE LONDON. still they sing the music E no easy, thank God have build my own house,work in oil and gas coy, so when he call me after he heard that i just build house i told him uncle e no easy, the man was just laughing , "TAYO e no easy u do marriage u no tell me, e no easy u buy Galaxy ford and camry , e no easy u don build house ok ooo just assist ur brother segun cos the boy want do master for scouthland, "
i told him uncle e no easy ooo ,e no easy oooo sinceuncle dey uk he is in the best position to assist segun , since then over 4 month now uncle no dey gree call me again , so do u best and leave the rest in the name e no easy,

@tayoTFC , Bros ye, you wan kill me with laugh hahahahahaha. That's a good one
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by obowunmi(m): 1:53pm On Feb 27, 2012
LooooL
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by AjanleKoko: 5:37am On Mar 01, 2012
:d :d :d :d
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by damola1: 10:35pm On Mar 03, 2012
e no easy at all! grin grin grin grin grin grin, they never think things will improve,
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by teewai27: 3:46pm On Mar 04, 2012
The only pple m obligated to send money to are my parents n sisters. Any other person would av to be an emergency. Thank God they dont even bother me with requests so i gladly n lovingly give whether im in naija or us. I tnk it just depends on ur type of family.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by kajoula(m): 1:14pm On Apr 06, 2013
[size=60pt]Boredom [/size]
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by dridowu: 1:49pm On Apr 11, 2013
My own personal prayer is that i don't want to be rich but God should provide for me immediately i need it and he should give me the heart to give out without suffering. KIRA KITA O DO LA , KA SISE BI ERU KO LE DA KANKAN, ALUBARIKA OLORUN LOJU
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Ugosample(m): 7:56pm On Aug 15, 2016
aktunde:
For me, I think various factors are responsible for all these. First is the general beliefs of people back home. Second is the attitudes of those abroad, third is individual attitudes and the last is family background.

The general beliefs of people back home

I am not talking about those who travel abroad for business or vacation. I am talking about those who have never traveled out before. Many think that money is everywhere on the streets of places like US, UK and other countries unmentioned. So the moment any one steps out of Nigeria, they believe his life is automatically better than the life of any other resident of Nigeria. Just within my first week in the US, a friend back home was already saying "How is work?". I was like; what the hell? Just like that? I don't even know where next I will go after my hotel bills expire and you are talking of work? So funny.

The attitudes of those abroad

I think those abroad (not all of them) are contributing to this problem too. On getting abroad, they are not sincere to themselves and to those at home. Many live fakes lives. Why will you take photo shots besides the latest Bentley, Range Rover Sports or other fast machines (which is not your own) and you think people at home will not think you are rich? Funny enough, people at home automatically assume you own it. When the rational ones among them ask about the ownership of those beautiful houses and cars, some of us here will still tell lies that we own it, simply because those at home are too far away to verify the truth. So, can you tell me why those at home will ever stop begging for money?

Individual Attitudes

Not everyone living abroad is guilty of point 2 above. Some of us are actually sincere with people back home. But some people will never stop begging for one thing or the other. They are just like that. Even when it is evident that they are richer than you, they will still want to collect the little you have. The same way they are begging from you, the same way they are begging from those back home too. It has nothing to do with you living abroad.  The only slight difference is this; if Mr Lagbaja in Ikorodu can give them N5000, you in US should be able to give them $5000 or do better. Shikena!

Family background

Regardless of points 1,2,3 above, family backgrounds matter a lot in this. When the rich ones keep dishing out money through wire transfer to their children to sustain them here, the other way round is the expectation of the poor families back home. The poor families do not know anything about work permit, SSN, green card, red or blue passport. They do not know or care to know if you have the right to work abroad or not. All they know is; "don't marry oyinbo oh! and why are they saying this? So that you won't spend all your money taking care of the oyinbo. So that you can always have enough to give to them.

How to handle the situation

1. Know when to say Yes or No. Everyone can never like you even if you cut your neck for them to share
2.  Be honest with your situation here. Do not deceive yourself and don't keep deceiving them. Else they wont stop!

How I am handling mine

1.  I do not change my contact details because of anyone and I will never do that

2.  I was very open to my friends and parents. I do not let them feel that I am better off here. I took my time to let them know my class of visa. I told them I am on student visa, and I am not allowed to work. Yes, USCIS said I can work 20 hours as a Masters student, but I told them I can't find a job. So, instead of my younger ones expecting to get from me, they were willing to send the little they have in Nigeria to me, but I have always told them never to bother. I am also open to my friends back home too about how life is here, and no one is bugging me with requests. That is it!

And this is good Advice
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by yerakola(m): 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2016
hi everyone! I think nairaland will be my best option to post what am facing, I get my Yankee visa early this year, nd since den iav been calling my friends and family concerning it, all of dem are telling me I shouldn't worry that they are going to accommodate me wen I come, that gave me rest of mind that I don't av issue with accommodation.
so early this month I went further to book my tickets which I did, and d date fall on 1st of September, after gotten the ticket I called my friends and family to tell dem at d new development, BEHOLD all of dem are telling me different story, some are saying they av visitors from nigeria, some are saying they are coming to nigeria that day, some are not picking calls,
Now I don't know what to do , I don't av option Dan to post it on nairaland, pls for God's sake who can be of help to me just to arrange myself for some day, yerakola @gmail.com, 08037250210

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

River Kaduna In 2021 (Pictures, Video) / Aftermath Of Mt. Sumeru Volcanic Eruption That Killed 14 In Indonesia(Photos) / Mob Wakes Man Up After Beating Him To Stupor For Causing Accident In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.