Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception (15169 Views)

Can One Do Traditional And White Wedding With A Budget Of N200k? / Couple Whose Wedding IV Had ‘no Reception’, Had A Wedding Reception(photos) / Are You Bold Enough To Do Your Wedding With Any Of These Vehicles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by BREYZ: 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2021
blaise26abj:

Even if the lace material is 6k and bachelorette party material is 3k out of the money . That leaves about 11k for 50 guests sef , that’s 550k . I don’t believe they can start “life “ on that @ op . If the asoebi Na 150k now , your concerns will be justified .

@ op - see the 11k as gift to the couple and humbly carry 2 takeaway packs after wedding service .

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy guy man say him cough out 20k grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by BabaIbo: 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Lol. cheesy

You and SeaTrade are match made in nairaland.

A trial will surely convince both of you.

I hope it is real and true, I wish you guys the best!
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by sisisioge: 6:32pm On Apr 18, 2021
Very wrong! You guys are probably the financiers of the wedding grin
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:04pm On Apr 18, 2021
BabaIbo:

You and SeaTrade are match made in nairaland.

A trial will surely convince both of you.

I hope it is real and true, I wish you guys the best!

Ah ah. shocked
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by SeaTrade(m): 7:10pm On Apr 18, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Ah ah. shocked
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by observanc1: 7:11pm On Apr 18, 2021
New day, new grammar. Which one is wedding without reception? I dont understand
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by tylesh(f): 7:35pm On Apr 18, 2021
I won't buy
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by Masterchef(m): 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2021
In this particular case, no need buying stuffs you won't wear but only keep in your wardrobe until thrown in trash as bought. Instead, friends can contribute half of these monies as a cash gift.
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by BabaIbo: 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Ah ah. shocked

Yes na... cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by DedeNkem: 8:24pm On Apr 18, 2021
Godoverevery:
My fiancee is attending a childhood friend wedding this Saturday....We are meant to attend together but it is no reception wedding.(boldly written on IV)

My question is it right to sell aso ebi for a wedding that has no reception because we had to cough out more than 20k for the lace/gele and bachelorette party material alone.

I am feeling this just a clever way to extort money from friends or am I wrong.

If they don't expect gifts after purchasing the aso ebi, then it is ok. After the wedding you can use the eso ebi as home cloth.

But if they still expect you to give them gifts after paying for the aso ebi, then give them the 20k as a gift.

Some people are so greedy to their own detriment!
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by eniade07: 8:51pm On Apr 18, 2021
The south western people have been using aso ebi since time immemorial. It was not used or picked because of profits or to make gain for their ceremonies. They used aso ebi as a symbol to unify and for people to celebrate with them.

It is very disheartening now to see people, (especially people that copied the culture from the yorubas) using Aso ebi as a means of raising money. May God help us.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by ussv: 9:06pm On Apr 18, 2021
dfrost:

Now the truth is coming out. cheesy grin So it has always been a fund raiser all these while? cheesy grin
Ya na ! They buy the clothes and add a little on top and sell to guest, na wetin we go call that one ? lol
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by ussv: 9:12pm On Apr 18, 2021
Ishilove:

Which fundraiser? What happened to doing something low-key and moving on with your life?
My brother, Aso ebi has always been symbolic with the event and has been practiced for long in such that it looks awkward not to have it on any weeding or event. Na to buy material and add a little something because guests will sha come and eat rice and chicken at the event, all these cost money. And even for weddings without reception there will be gifts to be sent out and it`s capital intensive to throw parties these days reception or not.
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by romunu(m): 10:04pm On Apr 18, 2021
So where should de wear the aso Ebi to?
My Yoruba brothers,please what is the meaning of Aso Ebi?
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by Harinholar(f): 2:12pm On Apr 19, 2021
Personally I can't buy such cloth...
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by chrisblack: 4:17pm On Apr 19, 2021
femi4:
People do buy clothes because they love the fabrics. I bought two suits cos I was part of the grooms men not because I wanted something in return.

If you are giving out quality, people will buy your aso ebi without even showing up at your wedding
yes but some would ,and courtesy demands you provide a bit of hospitality for your guest. It's a natural order. Even in time memorial, eko and akara or ego are provided. To me it's fraudulent to collect 20k for asso ebi. Weddings is usually a joyous occasion that brings two families together, people from far and wide would come to celebrate with them.provision of refreshments for such guest us an age long tradition , even you give water to a stranger not to talk of people coming to celebrate with you. It's absurd
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by femi4: 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2021
chrisblack:
yes but some would ,and courtesy demands you provide a bit of hospitality for your guest. It's a natural order. Even in time memorial, eko and akara or ego are provided. To me it's fraudulent to collect 20k for asso ebi. Weddings is usually a joyous occasion that brings two families together, people from far and wide would come to celebrate with them.provision of refreshments for such guest us an age long tradition , even you give water to a stranger not to talk of people coming to celebrate with you. It's absurd
It's not fraudulent. Nobody put gun on your head to buy. If I m giving out 25k material in the market to you for 20k, that's more than hospitable act.
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by chrisblack: 5:07pm On Apr 19, 2021
femi4:
It's not fraudulent. Nobody put gun on your head to buy. If I m giving out 25k material in the market to you for 20k, that's more than hospitable act.
must they sell asso ebi. Asso ebi culture is a yourba stuff. It simply means the purchase of same attire by well wishers to be worn for a particular occasion with a caveat that you are entertained on the day of the occasion and given a gift if available.
They can do it registry style no need for asso ebi.
Asso ebi is synonymous with a reception
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by femi4: 5:57pm On Apr 19, 2021
chrisblack:
must they sell asso ebi. Asso ebi culture is a yourba stuff. It simply means the purchase of same attire by well wishers to be worn for a particular occasion with a caveat that you are entertained on the day of the occasion and given a gift if available.
They can do it registry style no need for asso ebi.
Asso ebi is synonymous with a reception
That's the part you are getting wrong. The motive of aso ebi is to identify the group rejoicing with the celebrant. It's only in this part of the world that we go to a party to take from the celebrant. It should be the other way, the celebrant should be at the receiving end. You are not buying clothes because you will receive gift or giving food with big meat on the d day. It's your little way of telling the celebrant I appreciate you.

And hey....It's not by force
Re: Is It Right To Sell Aso Ebi For Wedding With No Reception by ImaIma1(f): 8:59pm On Apr 19, 2021
Godoverevery:
My fiancee is attending a childhood friend wedding this Saturday....We are meant to attend together but it is no reception wedding.(boldly written on IV)

My question is it right to sell aso ebi for a wedding that has no reception because we had to cough out more than 20k for the lace/gele and bachelorette party material alone.

I am feeling this just a clever way to extort money from friends or am I wrong.

It can be worn to the church. And they probably need it for the pictures, etc.

For me though, aso ebi, whether with reception or not, is not compulsory.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? / Rent Your Dream Wedding Gowns For As Low As N15000 In Abuja / How Much Do I Need For A Regular Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.