Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,621 members, 7,813,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire (9772 Views)

Guide For NYSC Members Participating In 2015 Election: A Case Study Of 2011Elec. / Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire / Rioters Lock In 50 Nysc Members, Set Building On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Mobinga: 9:15am On Apr 20, 2011
There's nothing wrong with the headline. This is actually what happened. The intentions of animals in human flesh.
www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/3592-rioters-lock-in-50-nysc-members-set-building-on-fire.html
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by jmaine: 9:30am On Apr 20, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by efisher(m): 9:39am On Apr 20, 2011
We are in for a long ride!
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Arosa(m): 9:42am On Apr 20, 2011
tell me this is a lie, please!
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by lwisee: 9:48am On Apr 20, 2011
WRONG CAPTION

THEY never knew that evil was on the way. All was calm in the neighbourhood, although the news had been broken that rioters were on the rampage in the city.

Suddenly, it got noisy and rowdy outside the building where no fewer than 50 National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members huddled together, feeling safe, away from the madness that had seized the city by the throat.

Angry youths protesting the results of the presidential election stormed the Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship (NCCF) Secretariat in the heart of Minna, the Niger State capital.

They forcibly locked the Corps members in and set the building on fire.

But the leader of the Corps members, fondly called Papa by his colleagues, found the strength to break down the door and set his colleagues free.

“Some had burns,” one of the lucky boys and girls told The Nation at the Army Barracks, where they are taking refuge.

He said they were initially few at the “Family House”, as the secretariat is called by NCCF members, but many rushed in to escape the rioting near their homes in other parts of the city.

“We were taken by surprise. We couldn’t retrieve anything from the fire,” he said, pleading for anonymity so that, according to him, his relatives would not panic over his safety.

The building was smouldering yesterday.

The irate youths also burnt the NCCF 18-seater bus, which was bought two months ago, and a motorcycle belonging to the fellowship.

The development has forced the NYSC to direct all Corps members in Chanchaga (Minna) Local Government Area to relocate from their homes to the Nigeria Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) barracks on the outskirts of the city.

Two NYSC officials were taking care of about 200 “refugees” at the barracks. Religious organisations have sent relief materials to them.

The Family House of the NCCF, a fellowship centre and a lodge for Christian corps members, was one of the seven worship centres burnt by the youths who said they were protesting the emergence of Dr Goodluck Jonathan as winner of the presidential election.

If the “Minna 50” were lucky, not so four of their colleagues and two police officers in Bauchi. They were killed by rioters.

Christian Association of Nigeria {CAN} chair Bishop Musa Tula said more than 20 people died in the violence unleashed on innocent people by those he suspected to be political thugs.

Several churches, cars, homes and business houses were burnt.

The police said over 200 suspects had been arrested in connection with the violence in Bauchi metropolis, Misau and Azare Dambam.

Banks and government businesses in the state capital have closed. Three churches, including Gospel Life Church and Deeper Life Church in the state capital, were burnt. Another one in Bara, Alkaleri Local Government Area, was burnt.

It was learnt that trouble started when some youths said to be CPC supporters suddenly went berserk over the results of the election.

The new police commissioner deployed to the state to ensure a hitch-free election, Ammama John Abakasanga, told reporters yesterday that over 200 suspects had been arrested.

He said four Youth Corps members were killed in Itas Gadau during the election. He added that no fewer than 20 other Corps members were still missing.

The Commissioner said the police rescued 20 of the 51 corps members in Itas Gadau, Jamare and Dabam local government areas.

The rescued Corps members are at the Police Officers’ Mess, Bauchi.

But the NYSC secretariat in Bauchi yesterday kept quiet over the corps members.

Abakasanga said a Divisional Crime Officer (DCO), Police Division, Jama’are Local Government Area and a woman Corporal were killed in Giade. The Divisional Police Officer and DCO of Dabam Local Government were injured. They are hospitalised.

The police boss said his men recovered three ballot boxes and 10 locally made guns from the suspects, who include two under age children.

There were looting and burning yesterday by youths who seized shops, business premises and the streets as early as 7a.m., attacking innocent citizens.

Residents of Igbo quarters, Zango, Railway and most parts of the metropolis fled to the Army and Police barracks as the arson continued.

The INEC offices in Bauchi, Jamare, Misau, Dabam and Itas Gadau were torched.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Senator Iliya Audu, told reporters that all the offices were looted before being set ablaze.

Audu said at the INEC office in Bauchi, 500 laptops, 16 power generating sets, cabinets and burglary proof belonging to the commission were stolen before the building was set on fire.

No fewer than 6,000 persons have been displaced, Abubakar Adamu, Bauchi State Secretary, Nigeria Red Cross Society, said.

According to Abubakar, about 23 others, who are injured, have been hospitalised.

On the over 6000 displaced, the Red Cross boss said: “No food or any kind of aid has been supplied to them. They desperately need food. And the State Emergency Management Agency is yet to respond, despite their knowledge of these people’s situation.”

He said residents who ran away for fear of being attacked were returning to their homes.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/3592-rioters-lock-in-50-nysc-members-set-building-on-fire.html
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by lwisee: 9:50am On Apr 20, 2011
The Headline above is ment to attract people which sends wrong signal before reading the content.I dont know why the newspaper did this.When I find it difficult opening thE website I was almost crying bc I thought all the corps members were roasted.I wish the government shouldnt take this issue lightly with 'the nation' newspaer.How I wish Im the IG I would have dealth with this company pasonally and the company will never remain the same again.That caption alone could lead to civil WAR.NEXT TIME DONT BE silly WITH YOUR HEADLINES.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Chyz2: 9:51am On Apr 20, 2011
Yet and still police men and soldiers are not deployed in those potential areas but they are immediately deployed in eastern cities where there are no riots.smh
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Blazing99: 9:58am On Apr 20, 2011
These idiots are phucking cowards, why dont they go fight their enemies? What did innocent corpers do to them? Are they PDP or INEC dat rigged? Fightings by northerners have always been illogical with lack of cause.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by edoyad(m): 10:00am On Apr 20, 2011
. . . They forcibly locked the Corps members in and set the building on fire. But the leader of the Corps members, fondly called  Papa by his colleagues, found the strength to break  down the door and set his colleagues free. “Some had burns,” one of the lucky boys and girls told The Nation at the Army Barracks, where they are taking refuge. He said they were initially few at the “Family House”,  as the secretariat is called by NCCF members, but  many rushed in to escape the rioting near their homes  in other parts of the city. “We were taken by surprise. We couldn’t retrieve  anything from the fire,” he said, pleading for  anonymity so that, according to him, his relatives  would not panic over his safety. The building was smouldering yesterday. The irate youths also burnt the NCCF 18- seater bus,  which was bought two months ago, and a motorcycle  belonging to the fellowship. . .

shocked OMG ! I spent my first two nights as a corps member in minna in that NCCF family house. I remember that white toyota bus, it had 'jesus corpers' painted in front of it. It's located at Tunga, Minna not far from the present governor's personal house.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Abali1(m): 10:02am On Apr 20, 2011
@Iwisee, what do you mean wrong caption. The locked no fewer than 50 corp members. What were there intentions if not to burn them alive.

@Topic, I will keep saying this, govt is not ready to protect any life or property in this country. Let the scheme be scrapped or Corp members posted to their home states to serve. How many more corp members have to die before the govt does something.

My advice to all serving corp members in the North, PLEASE FIND A WAY TO GO BACK TO YOUR HOMES AND PARENTS(once normalcy returns; this thing will always be a recurring decimal in the Nigerian polity) ALIVE. NAIJA IS NOT WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE FOR.

I served in the North, Bauchi precisely. But I always go back to the south or ABJ once I sign for my monthly clearance.

The truth is that most of the big men children that served with us never stayed back, so I got wise and joined them. Fvck NYSC at the end of the day they will still give you your certificate and throw you into the labour mkt  to go and join millions of other unemployed grads. While the children of thye rich and govt officials already have a job even before they graduate from school.

TAKE YOUR DESTINY INTO YOUR HANDS, GOVT WILL NOT FIGHT FOR YOU.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by lwisee: 10:10am On Apr 20, 2011
Im not so impressed with the government response to the security in the troubled areas of this country.

ARE WE SURE THIS COUNTRY IS IN A SAFE HAND?

IS GEJ TOO WEAK TO RULE THIS COUNTRY

IM NOT HAPPY AT ALLLLL
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by efisher(m): 10:23am On Apr 20, 2011
They locked up corpers and set them ablaze with an intention to roast them alive! What is worse than that? This is what you get in a country where 2 different laws exist for people who live together within the same boundary. Somebody has to bend or we break.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by nusdog: 10:29am On Apr 20, 2011
I dont see anything wrong with the caption. Is that not what happened?

Thank God they were able to break the door, and escape. These rioters are animals!
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by ifyalways(f): 10:29am On Apr 20, 2011
When did all this happen ?  sad
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Acidosis(m): 10:39am On Apr 20, 2011
Too late for the abokis in Hausa quarters. I trust these boys in my area, they take no S H I T. But I will miss them as I wont see anyone to mend my shoes again.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 20, 2011
efisher:

They locked up corpers and set them ablaze with an intention to roast them alive! What is worse than that? This is what you get in a country where 2 different laws exist for people who live together within the same boundary. Somebody has to bend or we break.

Honestly,I don't know what else to say about these mad dogs.They hide under religion to perpetrate their evils claiming all sorts of rubbish that has nothing to do with religion but their selfish interest.what do they gain by killing the corpers or are they going to get paid for killing southerners ? Extremist blood flows in all northerners no matter how gentle they may be.Bloody terrorists.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 10:45am On Apr 20, 2011
This is crazy.ooh my God.i cant beleive people are this heartless.NYSC members are neutral.someone spending many years on labour in university.parent already hoping on them and you people want to dash their hope, am scared.this sounds somehow
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 10:46am On Apr 20, 2011
This is crazy.ooh my God.i cant beleive people are this heartless.NYSC members are neutral.someone spending many years on labour in university.parent already hoping on them and you people want to dash their hope, am scared.this sounds somehow
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by efisher(m): 10:47am On Apr 20, 2011
I hope Bakare is watching.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by naijaking1: 10:48am On Apr 20, 2011
lwisee:

Im not so impressed with the government response to the security in the troubled areas of this country.

ARE WE SURE THIS COUNTRY IS IN A SAFE HAND?

IS GEJ TOO WEAK TO RULE THIS COUNTRY

IM NOT HAPPY AT ALLLLL

First of all there is no reason to write in red.
Is GEJ too weak to rule this country, you mean weaker than Buhari? No matter what sails your boat my friend Nigerians have spoken, and they want GEJ and not Buhari. So, no need causing mayhem all over the country just to prove that GEJ is "weak"
First you disprove the caption, now you present your real siniter motive. People like you should be in jail embarassed
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by sirjec(m): 10:54am On Apr 20, 2011
What headline is wrong. Few days ago people were not thinking that the headline and comment they were using concerning rigged election was wrong and could cause chaos even when their allegations were unproven. Now a Headline that clearly explains what happened is being criticised as capable of causing bewilderment. Hypocrites

The HEADLINE IS WHAT HAPPENED AND IT'S RIGHT.

How many times will this happen before we become honest. The north is hostile to visitors and why are they always sending visitors to serve in the north? If they want to continue this NYSC, Northerners should serve in the north and southerners in the south or let the scrap NYSC. I blame southern governors because if I were one, no one from my state will serve in the north.

Let us stop this madness. The northern leaders are wicked and derive joy in seeing people die.

Everyday people continue to die yet you don't hear anything. All you will hear is peace has returned to north. Nobody goes in for it. When it happens in the south you will see planes bombing everywhere.

UNFAIR
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Sagamite(m): 10:57am On Apr 20, 2011
As evil as the act is, are these corpers reetarded?

You know people are out to kill Xtians and the first place you rush to is a fcking Church?

And you get to the church and you were not intelligent enough to arm yourself?

How stewpid does it get?

There is no way I will live in any of the reetarded Northern states and not arm myself even in times of peace.

If I can't get a gun, I will get bow and arrow, I will get machete. Preferably all of them.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Arosa(m): 10:59am On Apr 20, 2011
My peeps, there is no need for reprisal, so we don’t step so low like the amajiris. All we need to do now is to put pressure on the government to bring the perpetrator of this crimes to book.  Violence is never the solution to any problem. Thank you please!
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Sagamite(m): 11:01am On Apr 20, 2011
Arosa:

My peeps, there is no need for reprisal, so we don’t step so low like the amajiris. All we need to do now is to put pressure on the government to bring the perpetrator of this crimes to book.  Violence is never the solution to any problem. Thank you please!

Government?

Led by a dumb, slow, liverless fooool called Jonathan?

Keep dreaming, mate.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by babyme1(f): 11:05am On Apr 20, 2011
God pls protect these corp members. This is so sad cry cry
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Arosa(m): 11:06am On Apr 20, 2011
Sagamite:

Government?

Led by a dumb, slow, liverless fooool called Jonathan?

Keep dreaming, mate.
There is no harm in trying.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by jaybee3(m): 11:07am On Apr 20, 2011
baby.me:

God pls protect these corp members. This is so sad cry cry
Did you even bother to read the article? They have been set free
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Arosa(m): 11:11am On Apr 20, 2011
sirjec:

What headline is wrong. Few days ago people were not thinking that the headline and comment they were using concerning rigged election was wrong and could cause chaos even when their allegations were unproven. Now a Headline that clearly explains what happened is being criticised as capable of causing bewilderment. Hypocrites

The HEADLINE IS WHAT HAPPENED AND IT'S RIGHT.

How many times will this happen before we become honest. The north is hostile to visitors and why are they always sending visitors to serve in the north? If they want to continue this NYSC, Northerners should serve in the north and southerners in the south or let the scrap NYSC. I blame southern governors because if I were one, no one from my state will serve in the north.

Let us stop this madness. The northern leaders are wicked and derive joy in seeing people die.

Everyday people continue to die yet you don't hear anything. All you will hear is peace has returned to north. Nobody goes in for it. When it happens in the south you will see planes bombing everywhere.

UNFAIR

There is nothing wrong with the headline, it's just that my heartbeat stoped just for a few seconds after reading it.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by klear(f): 11:31am On Apr 20, 2011
Wat is wrong wit dis people? wat did d corpers do? r dey d pot bellied corrupted politicians or d PDP? Y is it dat any time dia is crisis n d North d corpers bear d brunt? Thank God dey didnt die such horrible deaths. Stoopid, crazy, jobless almajiris! angry angry angry whose fault is it dat dia lives r fu(ked up? am sure its out of jealousy day wanted 2 kill those corpers. I dont support violence bt next time guys get a weapon handy preferably a deadly one. Its nt a sin 2 protect one self 4rm brainless blood suckers who have no regard 4 human life,
As 4 d headline its very misleading & too sensationalizing!!!! I nearly passed out until I read dey survived!
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by edoyad(m): 11:34am On Apr 20, 2011
Sagamite:

As evil as the act is, are these corpers reetarded?

You know people are out to kill Xtians and the first place you rush to is a fcking Church?

And you get to the church and you were not intelligent enough to arm yourself?

How stewpid does it get?

There is no way I will live in any of the reetarded Northern states and not arm myself even in times of peace.

If I can't get a gun, I will get bow and arrow, I will get  machete. Preferably all of them.
I think your statement is grossly insensitive. Like i said i had to spend my first two nights as a corps member after Orientation camp in Paiko there. Do you think the NYSC provides accomodation for every Corps member ? Family house is a place where most corps members spend their 1st few weeks in before securing the funds to get their own place.  Redeemed Corps members have got RCCF just about 5 or 6 kilometers from there. I hope they were not touched too. Also on David Mark road, not far from IBB's and Abdulsalam's house is a Corpers' lodge, i hope those guys there will be safe since there's a police barrack near it.
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by Sagamite(m): 11:37am On Apr 20, 2011
edoyad:

I think your statement is grossly insensitive. Like i said i had to spend my first two nights as a corps member after Orientation camp in Paiko there. Do you think the NYSC provides accomodation for every Corps member ? Family house is a place where most corps members spend their 1st few weeks in before securing the funds to get their own place.  Redeemed Corps members have got RCCF just about 5 or 6 kilometers from there. I hope they were not touched too. Also on David Mark road, not far from IBB's and Abdulsalam's house is a Corpers' lodge, i hope those guys there will be safe since there's a police barrack near it.

What the news report said was that they left their homes for safety in the "Family House".
Re: Rioters Lock In 50 NYSC Members, Set Building On Fire by ayomifull(f): 11:46am On Apr 20, 2011
Abali1:

Let the scheme be scrapped or Corp members posted to their home states to serve. How many more corp members have to die before the govt does something.

I support 100%

why are non Northern still allowing their children to serve in the north for crying out loud? Cant people protest to either scrap the scheme or let them serve in their own states or of their choice?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mark Seeks Extension Of Youth Service To Two Years / NYSC Bars Corpers From Borno And Yobe / Bayelsa B15 Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.