Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,417 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo (26944 Views)

CORONAVIRUS: Mysterious Reptile Videotaped Ascending Into The Sky In China / Rat With A Ring Round Its Neck Trapped In Woman's Shop In Oyo. Photos / Horrible! Two Kids Burnt To Death In Mysterious Fire Outbreak In Ondo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by KingOdart(m): 8:09am On Apr 17, 2021
[
b] This small town is home to a fascinating history and tourist attractions [/b]
Ado-Awaye has been gaining media attention for a while now, after it was found to house the only other suspended lake in the world.
Rich in history and culture, Ado-Awaye is quickly becoming the tourist's paradise. From its formation to its mountains and plains, everything about the small town in Oyo state is a wonder.

According to Atabo, an adventurer who visited Ado-Awaye to learn about its history, the town was formed in 1500 AD.

The Alaafin of Oyo's crown prince, Koyi, who was supposed to become the Alaafin was denied and his younger brother, Onigbogi, took over.

In anger, he left Oyo with one of his father’s crowns and decided to go and settle in Otta, his mother’s town. However, he went through plain grounds until he got foot of the Ado Hill, where he saw a smoke.

He climbed the mountain and there, he met some escapees from the Dahomey war. Having agreed and discussed with them, they decided to make him King of Ado.

In this article, we highlight the tourist attractions that make Ado-Awaye a wonder.

1. Iyake Lake
Iyake Lake is the only recognized suspended/hanging lake in Africa – one of the only two in the world after the Hanging Lake in Colorado. It has been named as one of the fascinating sites to visit in Nigeria as well as one of the seven wonders of Nigeria. It is said to be bottomless and have swallowed those who have tried to measure its depth.

Till today, whoever enters the lake never comes out of it. It is said to be the main god of fertility of the Mountain.

The villagers believe that beneath the lake exists another world that looks like the earth, and whoever transits into that world by diving into the lake will never be able to return to our own world again.

2. Agbómofúnyàké
Agbómofúnyàké literally means "collects child and gives to iyake". This little hole is located just beside the iyake lake. It is believed that, whenever the hole has water in it, whoever puts his leg into it gets dragged to the bottom of iyake lake.

3. Ìyá-Aláró Lake
It is also one of the numerous lakes on the mountain. The lake was named after an old woman in the Ado-Awaye village, who specializes in dying of clothes.

It is said that the old woman, known as “Iya Alaro”, worships the lakes and sacrifices to it at specific times during the year.

The lake is characterized by a gloomy depth which underscores its association with Iya Alaro and its surface and surrounding is bedecked with a lush overgrowth of colourful vegetation.

4. Oke Ishage (Ishage Rock)
Ishage Rock is the bringer of rain for the Ado-Awaye people. It is a large elongated boulder of rock, balanced and standing upright on one of its small edges.

The fact that this boulder has not fallen off the steep mountain side on which it rests remains a mystery to the Ado-Awaye people and tourists visiting the mountain.

Whenever it doesn’t rain and rain is needed, the chief priest goes to the rock, covers the "waist" of the rock with a white cloth, then rain falls for 3-4 days straight.

5. Esè àwon Àgbà
Esè àwon Àgbà translates to “the footprint of the elders”. It is a cluster of large “footprints” found all over the mountain. It is believed that the gods once walked over the mountain to protect the locals during the time the locals stayed up the mountain.

6. The Elephant Tree
This is composed of the tangled trunk or root of a fallen tree which dramatically takes the form of the head and trunk of an elephant.

The eyes of the elephant are also well represented on the formation. Hikers on the mountain are often tempted to climb the formation and sit on the ‘elephant’s head’ while posing for photos.

7. Esè kan Aiyé Esè kan Òrun
This is a wide and deep chasm on the mountain which separates one part of the mountain from the other part which hosts the peak of the mountain.

Only brave mountain climbers dare cross this valley as the rock slopes steeply along the valley walls. Only a narrow, very steep and slippery path across the valley, links the two parts of the mountain.

After a 34-year vacancy on the seat of office, a newly installed Alado of Ado-Awaye, Oyo State, Oba Ademola Folakanmi, Makuledoye II, speaks to the Tribune on tourism in the town. He says:

"All these places are amusing and should have attracted tourists from all over the world, if they had been given attention.

Unfortunately, the governments both at the state and federal levels have not been able to harness the tourism potential of the country.

We started Nigeria with agriculture; now, cocoa and groundnut are gone. We switched to crude oil and oil will go too. But tourism will last forever; so I encourage the government to develop the tourism potential of Ado-Awaye."

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/ado-awaye-the-7-wonders-of-the-mysterious-town-in-oyo/cerenl2?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by IyaTola: 8:13am On Apr 17, 2021
Good morning Ladies & Gents

We would be having an intense Lecture

*Date:* Saturday 17th April, 2021,

*Time* 3:00pm

*Venue* WhatsApp

*Topic:*
A. Beginners/intermidiate Guide on Digital Assets

B. Technical Chart Reading

C. Futures trading

https://chat(dot)whatsapp(dot)com/DY7PNHNhHz12hygLGWcLo6

Meanwhile, register with the link https://www.binance.com/en/register?ref=H1R24WDO

Also check my signature for Kucoin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by aminusabaru(m): 8:14am On Apr 17, 2021
nice one
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Enitxt(m): 8:15am On Apr 17, 2021
Nice �
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by zillonnair(m): 8:15am On Apr 17, 2021
Amazing place...visited severally with my tourism group

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by AmazingELixir: 8:15am On Apr 17, 2021
angry angry angry

I make bold to say in categorical terms that as far as Oyo state is concerned any wonder that excludes the picturesque, mind blowing and out of this world stretch of Brown roofs is unacceptable.

So Op be advised and give us our brown beauty.

18 Likes

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by yeyeboi(m): 8:15am On Apr 17, 2021
Ok
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by mokoh(m): 8:16am On Apr 17, 2021
Okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Starseed(m): 8:16am On Apr 17, 2021
Nice serenity.

#Yoruba Amaka

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Duplexxx: 8:16am On Apr 17, 2021
Cool
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Alejobs: 8:17am On Apr 17, 2021
grin
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by akeeng: 8:17am On Apr 17, 2021
Will be back
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Akfrenzy(m): 8:17am On Apr 17, 2021
grin bandits will be thinking about moving there
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by wolement: 8:18am On Apr 17, 2021
So the depth of lake is unknown even with modern equipments? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by opalu: 8:18am On Apr 17, 2021
Ok
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by jordyspices: 8:19am On Apr 17, 2021
7 wonders of a mysterious town and yet no pictures angry

20 Likes

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by realtemi(m): 8:19am On Apr 17, 2021
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Missyajoke(f): 8:20am On Apr 17, 2021
Mystery surrounds the world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Hardgun: 8:20am On Apr 17, 2021
My home town is doing well

2 Likes

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by MozB: 8:21am On Apr 17, 2021
Even with all of these, tourism is dead in the country and it leaves me wondering where we are headed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Segzy22: 8:21am On Apr 17, 2021
AmazingELixir:
angry angry angry

I make bold to say in categorical terms that as far as Oyo state is concerned any wonder that excluded the picturesque, mind blowing and out of this world stretch of Brown roofs is unacceptable.

Must you always display your stupidity?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by travelwaka: 8:22am On Apr 17, 2021
Read more here - Kindly read more about Ado Awaye here - https://www.travelwaka.com/ado-awaye-the-only-suspended-lake-in-africa/
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by jimmyolasun: 8:22am On Apr 17, 2021
where Dem pics dey??

abi after all the whole story, naa to dey imagine how the place looks I go do.. and you self go dey form blogger and tourist oo..

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by AmazingELixir: 8:24am On Apr 17, 2021
Segzy22:
M

Make sure you don't yan out of context youngman.. grin
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Atheistan: 8:24am On Apr 17, 2021
Hmmmm nice
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by dhtml6(m): 8:25am On Apr 17, 2021
wolement:
So the depth of lake is unknown even with modern equipments? undecided
I wonder too o

3 Likes

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Kaypeeboss(m): 8:26am On Apr 17, 2021
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by dreality: 8:27am On Apr 17, 2021
No pictures? Or you too have never been there

1 Like

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Kaypeeboss(m): 8:28am On Apr 17, 2021
KingOdart:
[

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/ado-awaye-the-7-wonders-of-the-mysterious-town-in-oyo/cerenl2?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
Good morning fellow nairalanders,I have never had the cause to do something like this on Nairaland,but the urgency of the situation on ground has forced my will,please and please i need your support to procure medications and foot the hospital bills of a brilliant young girl I taught while I was serving in one of the northern states,the family can really not describe the ailment,but they have spent their all trying to save their daughter.it was when I visited my former PPA this week,that I discovered she has been seriously ill for a while now,she was one of my favorite students, then because she stood out as one of the best students in her class,please i just want us to donate the little we can as it ll go a long way to making her situation better,a total sum of 400k is needed,but whatever we can raise for her will go to her ,so at least something can be done at all,please let our little contributions ,help save her life,for some reasons and how gory the situation is ,I am not posting her pictures all donations should go to her account .Mohammed zainab 3176350308 first bank plc, Thanks and God bless you all
Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by annyz: 8:29am On Apr 17, 2021
KingOdart:
[

I came to see pictures of the 7 wonders of the mysterious town in Oyo but found a picture of a lake.
OP where are other pix

2 Likes

Re: Ado-Awaye: The 7 Wonders Of The Mysterious Town In Oyo by Blesyn22(m): 8:30am On Apr 17, 2021
AmazingELixir:
angry angry angry

I make bold to say in categorical terms that as far as Oyo state is concerned any wonder that excludes the picturesque, mind blowing and out of this world stretch of Brown roofs is unacceptable.

Have you been to Ogbomoso?... you will marvel at its sight

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairalanders E-protest Against Child Marriage: Sign your Petition Here Guys! / Silly Things You Believed As A Kid? / Great Photographs Collected From History 2.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.