Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,040 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

How Does One Become An Atheist? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Does One Become An Atheist? (2003 Views)

How Does One Attain Sexual Purity? / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 10:20pm On Apr 19, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
It has evidence in it in that it first explained the presence of electrons and protons in an atom. However didn’t accurately get their arrangement hence has been replaced by a better theory.

In other words a scientific theory can be WRONG!

If it can be wrong, can it then still be used as EVIDENCE?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 10:27pm On Apr 19, 2021
shadeyinka:

Aren't they both scientific theories?
Can they be used as evidence for an atom?

Answer the questions!
you don’t know how science work and you won’t calm down and learn because you want to justify your God.

Science is about making hypotheses, looking for evidence to support those hypotheses, if you get a testable and measurable evidence then it becomes a theory. If another scientist dig further than you did and found more evidence and disprove some of yours, your theory is discarded and the better theory is adopted. That’s why theories are fallible, it doesn’t mean that the previous theory is totally wrong, it’s just that we have made an improvement and we have to adopt those improvements. You can’t work with J.J Thompson’s theory when we have loads of improvements. Are you living in the 1900s?

Science changes, there theories are the secrets to the improvements and innovations in science, if we were stuck to JJ Thompson’s theory, we won’t discover quantum physics or improve anything.

If you must fall an existing theory, you have to get to work and find evidence for your hypotheses, you can’t do that by mere arguing on nairaland and compelling people to believe your philosophical approach.
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 10:31pm On Apr 19, 2021
shadeyinka:

In other words a scientific theory can be WRONG!

If it can be wrong, can it then still be used as EVIDENCE?
A theory can’t be wrong until someone disproves it.
Every theory has an atom of evidence, all of them.
You have to disprove it by working hard on gathering better evidence to knock it off. Not by philosophical arguments

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 10:43pm On Apr 19, 2021
shadeyinka:

When you won't try to understand the difference between a theory and a hypothesis

In scientific reasoning, a hypothesis is an assumption made before any research has been completed for the sake of testing. A theory on the other hand is a principle set to explain phenomena already supported by data.
You just stated here by yourself that theories are supported by data.

Congrats for understanding the difference. Don’t go about saying it’s juts a theory. Theories are not just theories in science, they have evidence in them.

Though some have more evidence than others.

Theory of evolution has so much evidence that it will take a lot for any scientist to disprove it. That person will win a Nobel prize because the evidence are so overwhelming.
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 11:11pm On Apr 19, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
You just stated here by yourself that theories are supported by data.

Congrats for understanding the difference. Don’t go about saying it’s juts a theory. Theories are not just theories in science, they have evidence in them.

Though some have more evidence than others.

Theory of evolution has so much evidence that it will take a lot for any scientist to disprove it. That person will win a Nobel prize because the evidence are so overwhelming.
The keywords:
Principles set to explain phenomena

It doesn't mean it is true, based on data means it is not baseless. It however doesn't imply that it is TRUE.
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 11:13pm On Apr 19, 2021
shadeyinka:

The keywords:
Principles set to explain phenomena

It doesn't mean it is true, based on data means it is not baseless. It however doesn't imply that it is TRUE.
Stop arguing, theories are facts in science. No theory without evidence that can’t be testable.

You didn’t even know, Big bounce is not even a theory, it’s an hypotheses. You didn’t get it because you barely know how science works
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 11:14pm On Apr 19, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
A theory can’t be wrong until someone disproves it.
Every theory has an atom of evidence, all of them.
You have to disprove it by working hard on gathering better evidence to knock it off. Not by philosophical arguments
Hear your yourself speak!

A theory can't be wrong!
Then you contradict yourself by saying
Until someone disproves it.

You obviously dont know when you contradict yourself.

2+3=5 can't be wrong anywhere, anytime, anyhow. No one can disprove that which cannot be wrong
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 11:16pm On Apr 19, 2021
shadeyinka:

Hear your yourself speak!

A theory can't be wrong!
Then you contradict yourself by saying
Until someone disproves it.

You obviously dont know when you contradict yourself.

2+3=5 can't be wrong anywhere, anytime, anyhow. No one can disprove that which cannot be wrong
2+3=5 is not a theory, he still doesn’t know how it works grin
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 11:21pm On Apr 19, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
you don’t know how science work and you won’t calm down and learn because you want to justify your God.

Science is about making hypotheses, looking for evidence to support those hypotheses, if you get a testable and measurable evidence then it becomes a theory. If another scientist dig further than you did and found more evidence and disprove some of yours, your theory is discarded and the better theory is adopted. That’s why theories are fallible, it doesn’t mean that the previous theory is totally wrong, it’s just that we have made an improvement and we have to adopt those improvements. You can’t work with J.J Thompson’s theory when we have loads of improvements. Are you living in the 1900s?

Science changes, there theories are the secrets to the improvements and innovations in science, if we were stuck to JJ Thompson’s theory, we won’t discover quantum physics or improve anything.

If you must fall an existing theory, you have to get to work and find evidence for your hypotheses, you can’t do that by mere arguing on nairaland and compelling people to believe your philosophical approach.
Just answer the questions!

JJ Thompson's theory and Dalton's Atomic theory are two scientific theories aren't they?

Both theories have been invalidated, isn't it?

Meaning that even though they were valid scientific theories, they are not Evidence nor Fact nor True statement of the description of the Atom: Are they!?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 11:23pm On Apr 19, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
2+3=5 is not a theory, he still doesn’t know how it works grin
2+3 =5 can't be wrong!

A theory can be wrong!

If it can be wrong, then it is no evidence neither is it a truth!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 11:25pm On Apr 19, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
Stop arguing, theories are facts in science. No theory without evidence that can’t be testable.

You didn’t even know, Big bounce is not even a theory, it’s an hypotheses. You didn’t get it because you barely know how science works
Here yourself again!

A Theory is Fact!

Just like JJ Thompson's atomic theory and Dalton's Atomic theory!

SMH!!

So a hypothesis is now a FACT?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 11:29pm On Apr 19, 2021
How can I explain to you that JJ Thompson's theory is fact in the sense that it provided evidence that an electron contains proton and electron? This is a fact that the theory established.

However, Rutherford theory is an improvement in that it explained better the arrangement of these subatomic particles in orbitals, it doesnt mean that JJ Thompson's facts about presence of these subatomic particles is wrong. Neil Bohr another improvement in his theory by saying that electron move from one orbital to another when they are/not excited. It doesn't mean that Thompson and Rutherford didn't have facts in their theories
shadeyinka:

Just answer the questions!

JJ Thompson's theory and Dalton's Atomic theory are two scientific theories aren't they?

Both theories have been invalidated, isn't it?

Meaning that even though they were valid scientific theories, they are not Evidence nor Fact nor True statement of the description of the Atom: Are they!?

Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 11:31pm On Apr 19, 2021
Its obvious only scientist would know how science works. What other language would I use to tell you that JJ Thompson atomic model still have facts in it.

Are you a science student at all?
shadeyinka:

Here yourself again!

A Theory is Fact!

Just like JJ Thompson's atomic theory and Dalton's Atomic theory!

SMH!!

So a hypothesis is now a FACT?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 11:34pm On Apr 19, 2021
2+3=5 is not a theory.

Dont make me laugh cheesy
shadeyinka:

2+3 =5 can't be wrong!

A theory can be wrong!

If it can be wrong, then it is no evidence neither is it a truth!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by Judybash93(m): 5:46am On Apr 20, 2021
Ammishaddai:
To me, the qualifications to be an Atheist are three :

1. Steal from God and claim His moral standards are yours without giving credit to Him.

2. Have a shallow sense of reasoning when it comes to the theory of " the God of the Gaps"

3. Trying to place the burden of proof on theist by constantly shying from the burden of proof that is shared by all

Did you think this through?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by Judybash93(m): 5:52am On Apr 20, 2021
In my opinion, study religions and their origins and you'll come to the realization that majority of them were formed by people who were trying to explain the world in relation to their knowledge back then. You can also go deep into findings of science and even philosophy in order find ideas beyond the old sphere of our thoughts and you'll probably come to the realization that the notion god or gods isn't probable.
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:38am On Apr 20, 2021
Judybash93:
In my opinion, study religions and their origins and you'll come to the realization that majority of them were formed by people who were trying to explain the world in relation to their knowledge back then. You can also go deep into findings of science and even philosophy in order find ideas beyond the old sphere of our thoughts and you'll probably come to the realization that the notion god or gods isn't probable.

Because you wish you were beyond regulation and control, thus fulfilling the principle of "You See, what you want to see" and therefore, you do not see what is There and True!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 8:39am On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
2+3=5 is not a theory.

Dont make me laugh cheesy
You said that a theory is a Fact until proven otherwise.

I have shown you examples of FACTS as they are immutable with time.

#2+3 =5 can't be wrong!
#Buhari is the President of Nigeria can't be wrong
#Aisha Buhari is a woman can't be wrong

BUT
Any theory can be wrong!
A theory is an attempt of presentation of plausible explanation of an observable. QED!

If a theory can be wrong, then it is not useful as an Evidence neither is it a TRUTH!

If the BB theory has failed, what make you think that your BC theory cannot fail? By the way, there are several theories proposed about the origin of the universe. What makes the BC theory infallible?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 9:08am On Apr 20, 2021
shadeyinka:

You said that a theory is a Fact until proven otherwise.

I have shown you examples of FACTS as they are immutable with time.

#2+3 =5 can't be wrong!
#Buhari is the President of Nigeria can't be wrong
#Aisha Buhari is a woman can't be wrong

BUT
Any theory can be wrong!
A theory is an attempt of presentation of plausible explanation of an observable. QED!

If a theory can be wrong, then it is not useful as an Evidence neither is it a TRUTH!

If the BB theory has failed, what make you think that your BC theory cannot fail? By the way, there are several theories proposed about the origin of the universe. What makes the BC theory infallible?
You seem not to even understand the difference between scientific theories, hypothesis and laws.

Get that first, 2+3=5 is not a theory.

A “scientific theory” is different from a layman definition of theory. Stop making me laugh
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 11:01am On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
You seem not to even understand the difference between scientific theories, hypothesis and laws.

Get that first, 2+3=5 is not a theory.

A “scientific theory” is different from a layman definition of theory. Stop making me laugh
The question isn't about the definition of theory. The issue is what is considered a FACT!

A FACT is immutable!
A THEORY is subject to errors!

How can you say that a Theory is a FACT!?

Playing ostrich as usual with the TRUTH!

Okay, answer carefully the question:
Is a THEORY the Fact?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 12:18pm On Apr 20, 2021
shadeyinka:

The question isn't about the definition of theory. The issue is what is considered a FACT!

A FACT is immutable!
A THEORY is subject to errors!

How can you say that a Theory is a FACT!?

Playing ostrich as usual with the TRUTH!

Okay, answer carefully the question:
Is a THEORY the Fact?
lol, it’s not my fault if you can’t grasp basic scientific principles, even when I tried as much to explain to you in a layman’s language.

Maybe you need it to be written in the Bible for you to understand it grin
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by Judybash93(m): 12:25pm On Apr 20, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Because you wish you were beyond regulation and control, thus fulfilling the principle of "You See, what you want to see" and therefore, you do not see what is There and True!

Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by stefflos: 12:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

No Creation creates itself,! All creations are Created by Another !
Does that mean God was created?
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 2:01pm On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
lol, it’s not my fault if you can’t grasp basic scientific principles, even when I tried as much to explain to you in a layman’s language.

Maybe you need it to be written in the Bible for you to understand it grin

Is a THEORY the Fact?
Yes or No?

That warped reasoning led you to Atheism!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 2:09pm On Apr 20, 2021
shadeyinka:

Is a THEORY the Fact?
Yes or No?

Every scientific theories have facts.
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 2:15pm On Apr 20, 2021
shadeyinka:

Is a THEORY the Fact?
Yes or No?

Dalton atomic theory:

All matter is comprised of tiny, definite particles called atoms.....Fact

Atoms are indivisible and indestructible.....Partly fact

All atoms of a particular element share identical properties, including weight.....Fact

Atoms of different elements contain different mass......Fact
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 2:15pm On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
Every scientific theories have facts.
You don't even have shame.
See how you are twisting English. Scientific theories are not facts but they have facts?
SMH!

You need deliverance!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 2:17pm On Apr 20, 2021
shadeyinka:

You don't even have shame.
See how you are twisting English. Scientific theories are not facts but they have facts?
SMH!

You need deliverance!
Nothing is twisted here, you just don’t understand science. Lol grin
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 2:39pm On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
Dalton atomic theory:

All matter is comprised of tiny, definite particles called atoms.....Fact
What of protons, electrons, neutrons, and scored of sub atomic particles?

FatherOfJesus:

Atoms are indivisible and indestructible.....Fact
E=mc2

You don't know that matter can be destroyed to release energy? SMH!!

FatherOfJesus:

All atoms of a particular element share identical properties, including weight.....Fact
Unfortunately, you've never heard of isotopes!

FatherOfJesus:

Atoms of different elements contain different mass......Fact
I believe you have you have never heard of the term Isobar with respect to atoms

So, this is what you hinge your atheism upon!?
I can now see how shallow your knowlege is. Go update your knowledge. No wonder, to you theories are FACTS.
If they are facts they would cease to be theories but LAWS!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 2:42pm On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
Nothing is twisted here, you just don’t understand science. Lol grin
Evidence here below

shadeyinka:

What of protons, electrons, neutrons, and scored of sub atomic particles?

E=mc2

You don't know that matter can be destroyed to release energy? SMH!!

Unfortunately, you've never heard of isotopes!

I believe you have you have never heard of the term Isobar with respect to atoms

You fall my hand. Seriously!
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by FatherOfJesus: 2:51pm On Apr 20, 2021
shadeyinka:

Evidence here below

You fall my hand. Seriously!
Read science please and leave half baked knowledge, sciolism is worse than ignorance. Now you can differentiate between destruction of atom and conversion of matter to energy. Lol

E=MC^2 doesn’t say that atoms can be destroyed, it only indicated that Matter is directly proportional to energy. I don’t know if I should starting detailing out how all matters contain atoms and atoms itself cannot be destroyed but matter can be converted to energy.

A lot of sciolists on nairaland grin

No wonder science is so hard to grasp grin
Re: How Does One Become An Atheist? by shadeyinka(m): 2:59pm On Apr 20, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
Read science please and leave half baked knowledge, sciolism is worse than ignorance. Now you can differentiate between destruction of atom and conversion of matter to energy. Lol

E=MC^2 doesn’t say that atoms can be destroyed, it only indicated that Matter is directly proportional to energy. I don’t know if I should starting detailing out how all matters contain atoms and atoms itself cannot be destroyed but matter can be converted to energy.

A lot of sciolists on nairaland grin

No wonder science is so hard to grasp grin
It's still amazing when you don't even have any idea that you have goofed. Humble yourself and read.

Please, you need a lot of studying to do. When you are more mature, come back.

Hint!
Radioactive Decay!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do People Disrespect GOD By Browsing During Church Service?!!!! / HOW BILLIONAIRE Femi Otedola Was Healed From Heart Disease In OPM / TB Joshua Banned From Cameroon – Accused Of Being Satanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.