Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,193 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League (36600 Views)

Super League Is Back On As Court Rules UEFA Cannot Sanction Clubs Involved / UEFA Changed The Formation Of Their Team Of The Year To Accommodate Ronaldo. / AC Milan Banned From European Football By UEFA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by GreatAchiever1: 5:35am On Apr 19, 2021
Hmmmm kinda reminds me of the super league in the comic/cartoon supa strikas.

But it will be interesting to watch, just that the fans ticket money and tv rights will be very high.

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Nobody: 5:35am On Apr 19, 2021
Reference:

If they ban all those clubs mentioned banks, corporate sponsors will abandon the game of soccer in droves.

FIFA/UEFA watched as clubs evolved from amateur weekend only entities to become self supporting, professional establishments in the 30's 40's and 50's.

FIFA/UEFA watched as clubs exchanged their supoorters ownership structures for corporate identities in the 70"s, 80's and 90's.

FIFA/UEFA watched as billionaire moneybags from the west, oligarchs from the east and oil sheikhs from the middle grabbed elite soccer by the jugular stating two decades ago.

FIFA/UEFA have stood idly by watching the pussycat turn into a 300 pound ferocious feline. What exactly did they expect. What did they think would happen when they sold their birthright in handing Qatar, Qatar OF ALL COUNTRIES the hosting right to the 2022 World Cup.

They shamelessly made a stand for money and now it is tearing all world soccer apart. Everyone wants to leverage on his strength and grab as much as possible. Covid has shown that Papa FIFA cares for himself only. The kids want to fend for themselves.

what is wrong in handing qatar hosting rights?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by jaxxy(m): 5:46am On Apr 19, 2021
It’s just a higher league and I’m looking its purpose compared to current ones and I can understand a need for more quality games bt won’t that create fatigue for players even if table congestion’s can be sorted. There are too many leagues already bt an Extra super league/competition shudnt be Smtn that cant be worked on. FIFA shud decide really And these guys shud accept FIFA’s decision.
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Doyin2(m): 5:54am On Apr 19, 2021
D O.A

Good concept,wrong execution.

The buy-in of ALL stakeholders is very critical.

The other option is to create an entirely new world football body to rival FIFA ,with different leagues and competitions at local and international levels.

2 Likes

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by naptu2: 6:00am On Apr 19, 2021
This idea is not new. It initially surfaced in the 1990s. The big clubs did not like playing against small clubs and they wanted more money and guaranteed incomes. At that time clubs like Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade could win the Champions Cup. It was in order to placate these big clubs and leagues that UEFA allowed more clubs from these countries to play in the Champions League. Previously only league winners played in the Champions League.

The idea died down and resurfaced in the early 2000s, then in the late 2000s. Every time UEFA placated the clubs with more money and more spaces in the Champions League. FIFA also started paying the big European clubs compensation for releasing their players to play in the World Cup, African Nations Cup, etc. and for each time that their players got injured during these competitions.

COVID 19 has meant that even the big clubs are suffering (look at what's happening to Barcelona) and so they believe this is the best opportunity to finally implement the Super League.

This is the second major challenge to FIFA's welfare policy (although the big clubs have promised to continue supporting the policy). When FIFA and the clubs mention a "pyramid", they are basically referring to FIFA's welfare policy. FIFA believes that players are usually developed by small clubs and some players come from developing nations. They believe that these small clubs and developing nations must also get a share of the revenue that football earns and that it shouldn't all go to the big clubs and rich nations.

Jean-Marc Bosman

The first major challenge was the Bosman ruling in 1995.

Previously it was an established rule that the club that developed a player could determine which clubs the player moved to in subsequent years and that these small clubs would also get a share of the transfer fees. For example, Bosman joined Standard Liege in 1983 and then moved to RFC Liege in 1988. He wanted to move to a French club in 1992, but his first club (Standard Liege) blocked the move. Bosman then sued the 2 clubs, UEFA and FIFA and the European Court of Justice ruled that a feeder team could not block a player from moving from one club to the other.

This ruling also made it illegal to limit the movement of European players within the European Union. Previously most leagues had limits on the number of foreign players that could play in a match or be signed by a team. For example, Serie A teams could only sign 3 non-Italians. The ruling abolished such limits.

The interesting thing will be to see how they ensure that clubs that are not in this Super League will still receive enough funds to survive and how this new league will affect competitions like the African Cup of Nations.

It will also be interesting to see how this affects fans. It'll mean that fans will have to be travelling farther every week and that they might have to buy tickets to more competitions (that's one of the reasons that some of the fans are complaining).

11 Likes

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by DenreleDave(m): 6:06am On Apr 19, 2021
ProudBoy:
Whatever suits them. Mine is to watch good football.

Àbí.. Thank u my nigga

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by fredoooooo: 6:06am On Apr 19, 2021
Chillext:
What is Arsenal doing there?

I tire o ..

Bcis of noismakers fans to make money, niy because of football grin grin grin
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by akeeng: 6:07am On Apr 19, 2021
Shameful

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by geezynoni: 6:09am On Apr 19, 2021
ibnlawal:
A very cynical and disgusting plan spearheaded by one of the most greedy and corrupt fellows. I was happy my beloved Manchester City didn't join buh eventually they did. I'm gutted!
It should be boycotted by all means, this isn't football anymore. And if it eventually goes through, then it's time to become a Leeds United fan. I kuku fucking love them tele tele
Like the club you're supporting cares.

2 Likes

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by geezynoni: 6:12am On Apr 19, 2021
uncleck:
The dice is cast. Let's see how FIFA will respond. Considering the caliber of clubs involved, I don't see FIFA making real their earlier threat
Even If they do, it would amount to nothing... They would be on the losing end after everything is said and done..The clubs involved are really big.
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by jeff1607(m): 6:14am On Apr 19, 2021
If it was a mixture of both men and women of each club against each other it would help the various leagues women play and gives it more value generally.

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by quickly: 6:14am On Apr 19, 2021
It’s all about money guys

This is clubs went to meet Uefa and asked for more money from Europe competitions and uefa refuse.

They now decided to setup their own champions league.

All na shakara
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 19, 2021
hustla:
Makes no sense

Fixture congestion is what will happen

Not just that but it will make local leagues irrelevant
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by oluwaahmed: 6:15am On Apr 19, 2021
ibnlawal:
A very cynical and disgusting plan spearheaded by one of the most greedy and corrupt fellows. I was happy my beloved Manchester City didn't join buh eventually they did. I'm gutted!
It should be boycotted by all means, this isn't football anymore. And if it eventually goes through, then it's time to become a Leeds United fan. I kuku fucking love them tele tele

Pls why and how is it disgusting?
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by oluwaahmed: 6:18am On Apr 19, 2021
quickly:
It’s all about money guys

This is clubs went to meet Uefa and asked for more money from Europe competitions and uefa refuse.

They now decided to setup their own champions league.

All na shakara

Exactly. While the clubs are loosing money based on covid, UEFA is cashing out at their expense but still refuse to increase funding. This is what africa should have done to the World Cup.

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 19, 2021
Teams with an academy will be smiling... dont expect first team players to be fielded out by the coach. This is where man utd will be smiling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by merits(m): 6:29am On Apr 19, 2021
Ellegacy:
They are their too make money. Football to me is about passion. And the fan make up for the passion. With the announcement of the new league, I think it's time for me to bow out of watching football.

Making more money for already rich players is what have being planning to stop. I think here is the perfect opportunity for me to.

Lol..... you are tired of enriching them from your hard earned money.have stopped watching football some years back cuz I benefited nothing and none those players know me I just back down immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Casper21: 6:30am On Apr 19, 2021
I don't really know what these commenters are doing awake at 4am

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by tradepunter: 6:30am On Apr 19, 2021
What is arsenal and Tottenham doing on that list

Who dash them super club??
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by hustla(m): 6:32am On Apr 19, 2021
Saltybear:

Not just that but it will make local leagues irrelevant

UCL too

grin
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by hustla(m): 6:33am On Apr 19, 2021
tradepunter:
What is arsenal and Tottenham doing on that list

Who dash them super club??

Arsenal has more trophies than Chelsea if im not mistaken grin

3 Likes

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by captainamiedi1: 6:33am On Apr 19, 2021
ibnlawal:

Somethings transcends money. This is greediness at it's peak. PL, LaLiga, and Serie A are also against it.
From the look of things, the so-called big clubs will suffer for it, if it goes through

How will they suffer?? Do you know that man utd vs west brown generate more views than leeds vs newcastle?? The domestic league will suffer. When last did you watch two bottom placed team in la liga?? The domestic league will due off and they will no be a champions league or europa league. All these fans crying, when they league starts, they will all enjoy it. Imagine watching all the big league playing each other weekly. It sounds like a good idea to me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by merits(m): 6:37am On Apr 19, 2021
Sunnycliff:

Body na firewood? They will be worn out in not more than four seasons. Long football career will phase off. We won't be seeing players play upto a decade in football. Early retirement will set in.
It's good like that so that upcoming players can get opportunities in time.

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by captainamiedi1: 6:37am On Apr 19, 2021
oluwaahmed:

Exactly. While the clubs are loosing money based on covid, UEFA is cashing out at their expense but still refuse to increase funding. This is what africa should have done to the World Cup.

You are right. Uefa is cashing out big time and clubs are paying heavily for it. With covid-19, how much did uefa gave clubs as support funds? Knowing that advert has reduce. Uefa is the greedy one here.

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Sunnycliff(m): 6:42am On Apr 19, 2021
merits:

It's good like that so that upcoming players can get opportunities in time.

So it becomes a hit and run kind of business. No more long career goals. So all the records set by Messi and Ronaldo won't be broken by anyone anymore because of absence of long playing time. Then the world changes ryt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by maasoap(m): 6:49am On Apr 19, 2021
Reference:

If they ban all those clubs mentioned banks, corporate sponsors will abandon the game of soccer in droves.

FIFA/UEFA watched as clubs evolved from amateur weekend only entities to become self supporting, professional establishments in the 30's 40's and 50's.

FIFA/UEFA watched as clubs exchanged their supoorters ownership structures for corporate identities in the 70"s, 80's and 90's.

FIFA/UEFA watched as billionaire moneybags from the west, oligarchs from the east and oil sheikhs from the middle grabbed elite soccer by the jugular stating two decades ago.

FIFA/UEFA have stood idly by watching the pussycat turn into a 300 pound ferocious feline. What exactly did they expect. What did they think would happen when they sold their birthright in handing Qatar, Qatar OF ALL COUNTRIES the hosting right to the 2022 World Cup.

They shamelessly made a stand for money and now it is tearing all world soccer apart. Everyone wants to leverage on his strength and grab as much as possible. Covid has shown that Papa FIFA cares for himself only. The kids want to fend for themselves.

What do you mean by "QATAR OF ALL COUNTRIES"?
BTW: your comment from the beginning to the end is nothing but trash that doesn't make any sense.

djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

what is wrong in handing qatar hosting rights?

Thanks for asking him. I hope he will make his reason known.

1 Like

Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by merits(m): 6:50am On Apr 19, 2021
Sunnycliff:

So it becomes a hit and run kind of business. No more long career goals. So all the records set by Messi and Ronaldo won't be broken by anyone anymore because of absence of long playing time. Then the world changes ryt

Yes bro.
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Chirowman(m): 6:51am On Apr 19, 2021
Improvement
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by richmond500: 6:55am On Apr 19, 2021
Cityfirstborn:

Yes football is business, consider the plight of the big club's and Uefa greed..Most big clubs are in debt and pay a lot as wages to their player's...Uefa collects more than 70% revenues and just give peanuts to these club's and with the new policy they want to have total control of match ticketing and all..
To we fans it will afford us opportunity to be watching big matches weekly and moreover it will raise the competition level of players and clubs...
The match won't be played weekly, it will be like UEFA champions league ones in two weeks kinda thing
Re: Major European Football Clubs Announce Formation Of Super League by Cousin9999: 6:57am On Apr 19, 2021
Another racist league? No, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Marseille Fans Celebrating PSG's Defeat (Videos & Pictures) / Victor Moses Wins Premier League Player of the Month Award for November / Leicester City Vs Manchester United (0 - 2) On 26th July 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.