Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,487 members, 7,850,689 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:23 AM

SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now (3239 Views)

SE Governors Must Reject The Ministry of Power,Wks and Housing Budget Allocation / Igbos Map Out 5 Years Plan To Leave Lagos By 2020 / President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Rhino5dm: 8:29am On Apr 22, 2011
Those dunes of red quick sand along Enugu will be very good in building projects cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Atleast, Lagos will be free from 'awon omo igbo' cheesy cheesy cheesy

The northerners can continue kiiling themselves.  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Time to take back Alaba, Computer  village & Idumota cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You have to start leaving in peace, now or be forced to go in pieces!

Apart from the greediness of the scarvengers wanting to take over SS"s oil, what has the igbos have in that wretched Biafra?? just asking. .  . Very bad

rubbish indeed!

Igbos are 65% of lagos, 45% of kano, 40% of kaduna, 35% of Jos. . . blah blah blah!
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Onlytruth(m): 8:32am On Apr 22, 2011
Anyway, not to derail the thread with talk about state creation, this idea is aimed at doing something to forestall mass Igbo migration to hostile parts of Nigeria.

It will also solve other problems like job creation for our graduating youths. All these must happen outside the control of the federal government of Nigeria, else they would kill it like they killed Tinapa.

All it takes is leadership, and I pray that such will emerge after the elections.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by EzeUche3(m): 8:33am On Apr 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

Anyway, not to derail the thread with talk about state creation, this idea is aimed at doing something to forestall mass Igbo migration to hostile parts of Nigeria.

It will also solve other problems like job creation for our graduating youths. All these must happen outside the control of the federal government of Nigeria, else they would kill it like they killed Tinapa.

All it takes is leadership, and I pray that such will emerge after the elections.

I agree with you. And thank you for ignoring the people who are trying to derail this thread. I will continue to check on this thread periodically.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Onlytruth(m): 8:38am On Apr 22, 2011
^^

Thanks bros!

Of course I've ignored them since.
A person running a 100m dash cannot be talking and running at the same time. He would lose focus. undecided

Onye oku na agba be ya adighi achu oke!  cool
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by ektbear: 8:40am On Apr 22, 2011
@Onlytruth: I see, you addressed the issue of location of the towns somewhat in the 4th post in this thread (which I guess I must have skimmed over or skipped.)

Regarding resource extraction, as I've said, I don't think that is the only way to build a viable town. Anyway, since you've said you intend to keep them nearby existing population centers and economic centers, I'm content. . . that was the only design flaw I saw.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by kodewrita(m): 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2011
Actually I thought of this too. It would be a good idea NOT JUST FOR THE EAST but the west too.

If you think Enugu was not totally planned, watch an aerial view of Ibadan or Ogbomoso. Miles of red rusting roofs and roads vanishing in cul de sacs and ditches (also functioning as roads).

my issues with the idea is that it still contributes to deforestation in a way. Besides any new developments should aim at being near car-free if possible. that would really increase the quality of living.

Siting it near a big city is sensible but another thing might also be to site the kind of establishments that draw people in the town e.g universities(aside from federal ministries, the universities are arguably the most effective way to get people from all walks of life in one place. thats where we meet. NYSC is just a passing out parade) and manufacturing firms.

Thats the best way to develop the nigerian hinterland I think other than forcibly rebuilding cities by siezing large tracts of built up land, destroying the ugly little bungalows and actually changing the landscape from the ground-up. Unfortunately/Fortunately we are a democracy and that will not happen any time soon.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by nduchucks: 1:17pm On Apr 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^

Thanks bros!

Of course I've ignored them since.
A person running a 100m dash cannot be talking and running at the same time. He would lose focus. undecided

Onye oku na agba be ya adighi achu oke! cool

Ignore at your own peril. Constructive criticisms are healthy.

How do you plan on getting rid of your governors and other elite who would be threatened by the new comers? Who will finance this new settlements? Who will audit the contracts awarded to construct this project?

Its OK to dream sha. I believe your idea will not come to fruition in the next 20years as long as the current corrupt governors and elite remain in place. Better to come up with a plan to get rid of them first. Where are the Ojukwus of today? Ikemba is dearly missed.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by dazangel11(f): 1:49pm On Apr 22, 2011
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]DREAMS[/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by EzeUche3(m): 2:07pm On Apr 22, 2011
kodewrita:

Actually I thought of this too. It would be a good idea NOT JUST FOR THE EAST but the west too.

If you think Enugu was not totally planned, watch an aerial view of Ibadan or Ogbomoso. Miles of red rusting roofs and roads vanishing in cul de sacs and ditches (also functioning as roads).

my issues with the idea is that it still contributes to deforestation in a way. Besides any new developments should aim at being near car-free if possible. that would really increase the quality of living.

Siting it near a big city is sensible but another thing might also be to site the kind of establishments that draw people in the town e.g universities(aside from federal ministries, the universities are arguably the most effective way to get people from all walks of life in one place. thats where we meet. NYSC is just a passing out parade) and manufacturing firms.

Thats the best way to develop the nigerian hinterland I think other than forcibly rebuilding cities by siezing large tracts of built up land, destroying the ugly little bungalows and actually changing the landscape from the ground-up. Unfortunately/Fortunately we are a democracy and that will not happen any time soon.

That is why we need 'smart development' in the South. I enjoy the leafy and green scenery of the South-East. However, we still need development in the region. But I do not want to see our pristine enviroment destroyed anymore. We already have an erosion problem in Abia and Ebonyi state. Enugu should be expanded. Umuahia should be expanded. Owerri needs to be more developed. Nnewi needs a master plan. There is so much that needs to be done in Igboland.

And I agree with you about the bolded. Amaechi and Fashola do not have any problems destroying such bungalows. We need more governors like that. It is time we make our cities world class, by any means necessary.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by THEAMAKA(f): 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2011
EzeUche__:

Igbos need to move to Ebonyi state. That state is the least populated state in the South-East.
that goes back to what i said earlier. so what if its the least populated? do you really expect the people living there to be so welcoming of outsiders like that? you have to keep THE PEOPLE in mind. imagine if it were your town and say 100s of people from Anambra or Northern Delta started moving in, it might mess up the entire social order of things as some natives will fill like they are being pushed out of their own land.

Onlytruth:

@KnowAll,

I also believe that the only state Ndigbo need right now is Anioma state which MUST be joined to SE zone.

no need to further derail the thread, but i agree. how come our region has the least number of states? MORE TACTICS BY THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT TO OPPRESS THE NGIGBO! its made so that whatever they vote on or propose will ALWAYS be voted down.
and besides, what do the Delta Igbo really have in common with the Urhobo, Itsekiri, etc? NOTHING. abeg, its long overdue.

EzeUche__:

That is why we need 'smart development' in the South. I enjoy the leafy and green scenery of the South-East. However, we still need development in the region. But I do not want to see our pristine enviroment destroyed anymore. We already have an erosion problem in Abia and Ebonyi state. Enugu should be expanded. Umuahia should be expanded. Owerri needs to be more developed. Nnewi needs a master plan. There is so much that needs to be done in Igboland.

i agree with the idea of expanding and developing our existing towns and cities, FIRST.

and can the haters please SHOO away?
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Afam4eva(m): 4:20pm On Apr 22, 2011
At times i wish there was a way i could contribute to the developmnent of Igboland. I don't know what those Igbo business men that meet every year in the US discuss. I think a body independent of government needs to be set up to drive massive development in the east. Some things they need to so include:

1) Make existing commercial cities(eg Onitsha, Aba, Nnewi) liveable.

2) Expansion of all Major Igbo cities. Cities such as Enugu, Owerri, Aba, Umuahia, Awka, Nnewi, Asaba need to have greater areas that are well planned.

3) We also need to look into providing basic amenities to every semi-large cities and towns like Abakaliki, Agbor, Nsukka etc.

There will be no use to build new cities rather we should develop the existing cities.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by sowetto(m): 4:58pm On Apr 22, 2011
dis is a very nice thread, I believe dat these ideas need to infilterate our government houses if not they will remain dreams. I believe we can
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by bashr4: 5:13pm On Apr 22, 2011
afam4eva:

At times i wish there was a way i could contribute to the developmnent of Igboland. I don't know what those Igbo business men that meet every year in the US discuss. I think a body independent of government needs to be set up to drive massive development in the east. Some things they need to so include:

1) Make existing commercial cities(eg Onitsha, Aba, Nnewi) liveable.

2) Expansion of all Major Igbo cities. Cities such as Enugu, Owerri, Aba, Umuahia, Awka, Nnewi, Asaba need to have greater areas that are well planned.

3) We also need to look into providing basic amenities to every semi-large cities and towns like Abakaliki, Agbor, Nsukka etc.

There will be no use to build new cities rather we should develop the existing cities.

i agree with you , enugu is the best planned city so far and can be expanded to accommodate at least 3 million people something Sullivan is currently doing (independence layout phase 2 have been mapped out and road construction is ongoing there) i think it currently accommodates 800thousand.

the problem with onitsha,nnewi ,aba and most igbo cities is that they were developed by igbos so they really didn't have a master plan as they were extending . pH and onitsha are going out of control like Lagos and we need at least 2 more large cities like that to support them especially from okigwe,abakiliki ,umuahia awka,   there are lots of empty land in south east, Nigerian map is misleading as it makes you think igboland is overpopulated or too small . we don't really need new ones just expand the existing ones and try to minimise deforestation .
owerri may not need expansion since it has already eaten into the villages there but oguta have massive lands that are empty and i think they are already building a new city there to support the refineries that are being built there.

as for the economy we have always built our economy ourselves so that is the least of our problem , hundreds of manufacturing companies both small scale and large scale have been springing up in enugu since Sullivan took over.

however apart from northern Nigeria i don't see why any igbo man living in anyother part of Nigeria or world should relocate back if he is doing fine where he is,expansionism is a good.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by bashr4: 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2011
sowetto:

dis is a very nice thread, I believe dat these ideas need to infilterate our government houses if not they will remain dreams. I believe we can

yes we can are we are already working on it
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2011
Corruption is the barrier to these plans.

Unfortunately the only person capable of effectively taming corruption, has been kept out of power by corruption

Which way Nigeria undecided
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by bashr4: 6:14pm On Apr 22, 2011
GenBuhari:

Corruption is the barrier to these plans.

Unfortunately the only person capable of effectively taming corruption, has been kept out of power by corruption

Which way Nigeria undecided

Get out of here now
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 22, 2011
^^My friend I hail from the south east and I just abhor corruption.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by arsenal1(m): 6:49pm On Apr 22, 2011
@ GENBUHARI Get the hell out of here now nonsense
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by THEAMAKA(f): 6:50pm On Apr 22, 2011
^ ^ ^ is it because of his username? lol
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 22, 2011
@arsenal1

come and carry me out angry

Nonsense ! angry
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Onlytruth(m): 9:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
@Amaka,

I addressed your concern about local opposition to the plan by pointing out a major provision of the Nigerian Land Use Act which vests land on the governor of a state. That law is similar to the US Eminent Domain law; a landed property can be "taken" by the (in Nigeria -state governor; in US - local/city ) for public use. The difference is that in US, the land must be paid for, while in Nigeria, if it is undeveloped (no building or farm) it can be taken without compensation/payment.

So, the native community cannot stop the governor. Simple.
Unless I'm missing something.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Onlytruth(m): 9:41pm On Apr 22, 2011
About the idea of going for new towns instead of expanding old ones, it is just to create a sense of "new-ness", and give impetus to Igbos living in the north to return. Let's remember that the thread is also about wooing them back home.

Of course Igbos in other parts of Nigeria who are secure in their locations don't need to bother about coming back home.

So, yes, expanding old towns is good too, provided they are planned, renewed and with increased density at the core, because the last thing we need is a sprawling old city: Old, unplanned and decayed at the core; new at the suburbs. It is like putting old wine in new bottle. grin
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by Onlytruth(m): 9:56pm On Apr 22, 2011
Take Enugu for instance. I believe that all areas around Ogui and Obiagu should eventually be densified. I don't think that old bungalows should still be found at the Enugu city core which these areas represent.

Along Ogui road and Okpara Avenue all the way to New Haven should be systematically densified.

If done well, these areas can accommodate all current Enugu population. The Independence layout and Trans-Ekulu phase two should keep expanding, but planned to include tourist things like top class resorts and hotels, and corporate business offices. The rest of the Hills should be designed to be breath taking.

Nna menh, we need to unleash our creativity on our lands. It has been abandoned for too long and our people are dying in northern Nigeria for nothing.
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by THEAMAKA(f): 12:11am On Apr 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

@Amaka,

I addressed your concern about local opposition to the plan by pointing out a major provision of the Nigerian Land Use Act which vests land on the governor of a state. That law is similar to the US Eminent Domain law; a landed property can be "taken" by the (in Nigeria -state governor; in US - local/city ) for public use. The difference is that in US, the land must be paid for, while in Nigeria, if it is undeveloped (no building or farm) it can be taken without compensation/payment.

So, the native community cannot stop the governor. Simple.
Unless I'm missing something.
na wa oooo! i don't know, I'm very passionate about the people and what they want. you don't want a whole bunch of outsiders moving into your region and possibly bringing crime, you know? but then again, i was simply addressing what EzeUche said about Ebonyi being underpopulated, therefore people should be moving there. but then again, Ebonyi tend to be different from other Igbos and what if they don't want people from Anambra or Anomia in their land with their different lifestyle? i can only see problems arising from that idea.

btw, are you the other only-truth that has like 10 posts already?
Re: SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now by CrudeOil2(m): 12:17am On Apr 23, 2011
The five S/Eastern governors need to come together and form a development commission, just like the NDDC which would focus on funding capital projects and infrastructure in the major cities of the south east. That is what the south east needs. Creating new towns would be a futile adventure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ACN (Tinubu) Is Plunging South West Into Huge And Embarrassing Debts - PDP / Lets Celebrate The Inteligencia Of Gej...bakassi Is Back In Cameroon / National Good Governance tour town hall meeting in nasarawa(Live)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.