Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? (2060 Views)

Photo: Court Sentences Two Pastors To 7 Years Imprisonment For Stealing N32M / Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? / Why Pastors Children Often Embrace Cultism, Prostitution, Etc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by ow11(m): 7:08pm On Jul 10, 2007
I have always believed pastors should get day jobs even though my friends disagree. Their argument is that pastors are working for God. I pick a big hole in that argument because pastors tell all church workers( who themselves have day jobs) to work for God for free. Most ushers,prayerband members,counsellors,choir members and elders in church do more work than the pastor+ their day jobs. They preach,pray,go for evangelism and run errands for pastor. So do you think the pastors are taking advantage of people's desire to serve God with their possessions?
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by pilgrim1(f): 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2007
Acts 18:3
And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers

Acts 20:35
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Unless a pastor is truly called by God into fulltime ministry, he should labour with his own hands to provide for his needs. Even Paul as an apostle did so.
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by angel101(f): 9:25pm On Jul 10, 2007
Pastors should definitely get day jobs and pay their own tithes
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by Aproko(f): 11:51am On Jul 11, 2007
angel101:

Pastors should definitely get day jobs and pay their own tithes

yes o!!
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by TV01(m): 12:13pm On Jul 11, 2007
Every able adult Christian male should have a job. (Possible exception of itinerant minister in far-flung location with no means/souce of work or trade, and is required to be at that location to minister effectively.)
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by TayoD(m): 2:14pm On Jul 11, 2007
@topic,

1 Corinthians 9: 6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? 7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? 8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? 10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? 12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by tpiander: 6:41pm On Sep 04, 2015
is there a choice of whether they should have jobs or not?
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by misreal(m): 6:47pm On Sep 04, 2015
TayoD:
@topic,

1 Corinthians 9: 6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? 7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? 8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? 10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? 12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
thanks dear..
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by tpiander: 6:59pm On Sep 04, 2015
TayoD:
@topic,

check these verses:

3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,

4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?

is eating and drinking optional? Sometimes you can make it optional, doesnt mean it will always be optional.
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by tpiander: 7:01pm On Sep 04, 2015
check this verse also:

10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.

plowing and threshing are both examples of jobs.
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by vooks: 7:25pm On Sep 04, 2015
1. A few factors to consider;
Pastoral duties vary from congregation to congregation. Some ministers are actively engaged on a daily basis and any day job would be a real distraction. Others have so much time in their hand especially those serving under another man.

2.Another thing is what a preacher was doing before the calling. Assuming he was a professional footballer. The training are rigorous and mmay not give the pastor any time to minister. What about a commercial pilot? They can't control where they will be over Sunday mornings airborne or in church. Imagine a banker called to serve in some nether part of the country with no bank/branch. Should they make a career adjustment before moving?

3. The nature of the calling as well. For some, God is very clear in separating them from whatever they were doing before. Such was Paul's case. Others, God is content in adding pastoral duties to their work. They labor in the vineyard as they work. If God has not commanded you to drop what you were doing, please don't drop it yet

After observing many ministers,I have come to a conclusion that this decision should be left to the Called.
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by engrtee(f): 12:52am On Sep 05, 2015
U mean gaya job..
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by oaroloye(m): 4:55am On Oct 25, 2016
SHALOM!

There are four categories of Spirituality: HOLINESS, RIGHTEOUSNESS, FILTHINESS, and UNJUSTNESS.

It is nearly impossible for someone holding a Secular Job to achieve HOLINESS.

ONLY THE HOLY CAN ENABLE THE TEN TALENTS OF POWER IN THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE THEM.

You know how useless all the Pastors whom you know are.

Do you want them to lose the little Spirituality they have attained?

(No Pastor has ever achieved HOLINESS.)

Of course you do- because you hate Yahshua and you hate Christians.

The Pastor system requires ONE man to manage the lives of scores into hundreds into thousands of people.

If he had to handle a Secular Job as well, he would FAIL.

The purpose of a MINYAN is to support a Holy Man, who will manage their SHEKINAH Anointing.

A REAL Church would consist of multiple MINYANS working separately to solve the problems of their fellow Brethren, and OTHER Churches. YAHSHUA said explicitly, that it would be when the World (you) see THAT, is when you WILL believe that GOD SENT YAHSHUA, AND IS WITH THEM.

Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by Chubhie: 6:25am On Oct 25, 2016
God has his own ways of providing for his anointed ones. I mean those sanctioned from birth to do his work and not those charlatans parading as god of me and displaying carnality and materialism.

Funny enough,those with the oil to do the job run away from the burden of God's service! yours inclusive.

Being enlisted into God's service is not moi-moi. God is the greatest!
Re: Should Pastors Get Day Jobs? by ppajy: 10:28am On Jun 14, 2020
There those who are call fulltime by the lord that to be take care by the church. and there some that are part time worker in the vainyared of god.

(1) (Reply)

Tree Requires 28 Heads / I Spent 23 Minutes In Hell / Can An Atheist Be A Prophet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.