Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Curfew In North Affects Prices In South - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Curfew In North Affects Prices In South (7740 Views)

Aliyu Congratulates Buhari, Declares Curfew In Niger / Fayose Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew In Ekiti / Governor Yero Imposes 24 Hour Curfew In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Reddfox(m): 3:02am On Apr 24, 2011
Niger and Chad can never match the demand for products that southern Nigeria does, and simply doubling the exports will just be a waste or products, how many people are in Niger and Chad? The majority of northern traders will not frustrate themselves and they would continue to try and sell to the largest market around, which is southern Nigeria.

Fine. This brings me to the previous question I asked which you did not respond to "How and where can the South get its most basic cereals without importing" That is, If you believe that demand for the products are much higher in the South than Niger/Chad combined. If the demand is that big, it obviously means that the South too relies on North for something, doesn't it?

In return, the Southerns will not frustrate themselves by importing rice from China and Thailand when it is available nearby, just even for the sake of lower tariffs.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by manny4life(m): 4:40am On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

Fine. This brings me to the previous question I asked which you did not respond to "How and where can the South get its most basic cereals without importing" That is, If you believe that demand for the products are much higher in the South than Niger/Chad combined. If the demand is that big, it obviously means that the South too relies on North for something, doesn't it?

In return, the Southerns will not frustrate themselves by importing rice from China and Thailand when it is available nearby, just even for the sake of lower tariffs.

@ ezeagu, forgive me brother without disrespect I know this is your reply but I could not help but reply.

This is simple economics; demand and supply. Just because a product is in high demand doesn't mean people will NOT find other alternative. It's true that South will depend on North for its product, but it's dependency is flexible as well to alternatives. Keep in mind that just because there is demand in basic cereal doesn't make it a necessity for the South. For there to be high dependency, such high demand has to meet two criteria s; WANT and PRICE. The first criteria which is "WANT" that leads to "NECESSITY", now with available options and alternative, it has failed the first test or reasoning. Not many people find basic cereal from the north as a necessity because there are variety of alternation even without importing but using available resources.

Like few have said on here, the North is good with beef, tomatoes, onions etc, there is high demand for these products however there are alternative as well to these products. The demand is there but the dependent ratio is low because just because everyone finds beef and tomatoes and onions as a want doesn't make it a necessity. I really don't like beef, don't remember when last I ate one well with the exception of steak (meat), neither am I a fan of onion either, I can use other seasoning as well.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nadanbata: 6:25am On Apr 24, 2011
Oya its not by force for you to buy from us

We will sell to the Yorubas though as I know they have no problems doing business with us  wink . Maybe they can then sell on to Igbo Republic for triple the price  cheesy cheesy . Im sure you can afford it given your vast oil reserves ( I dey laugh o  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy)
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 7:30am On Apr 24, 2011
^-- Sounds fine by me. We are taking Niger State (and the Nupe therein) into Yoruba Republic BTW, just so you know. I know they voted for Buharistan, but if naija scatters they are coming with us  wink
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nadanbata: 7:35am On Apr 24, 2011
^ Lol our power genrating Sharia state? hahaha wink
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Reddfox(m): 8:02am On Apr 24, 2011
I really don't like beef, don't remember when last I ate one well with the exception of steak (meat), neither am I a fan of onion either, I can use other seasoning as well.

That's speaking for yourself, not for the masses.

This is simple economics; demand and supply. Just because a product is in high demand doesn't mean people will NOT find other alternative. It's true that South will depend on North for its product, but it's dependency is flexible as well to alternatives. Keep in mind that just because there is demand in basic cereal doesn't make it a necessity for the South. For there to be high dependency, such high demand has to meet two criteria s; WANT and PRICE. The first criteria which is "WANT" that leads to "NECESSITY", now with available options and alternative, it has failed the first test or reasoning. Not many people find basic cereal from the north as a necessity because there are variety of alternation even without importing but using available resources.

I think its the other way round. When you have all the "Necessities"(a.k.a Needs) necessary, then it becomes a "Want". A "Want" commodity is something you can live without and can easily find a substitute. For example, I can agree with you that beef is a want, as it can be substituted with pork, fish or chicken or non the above. I see a "Want" more like a complementary commodity. A "need" however is the complete opposite. Basically, you have to satisfy all your "needs" before you can have a "want". Have you done scale of preference in your economics? And trust me, its very hard to substitute a basic staple like rice which is a basic need to the majority of the world's population. Rice is the second most important cereal in the world after maize. The only way the South can have access to enough rice is by becoming a net food importer. They'll have to spend a very significant percentage pf their GDP on food importation, which is a characteristic of most least developed countries. The cost of importation from the Far East will be high as opposed to importing it from right next door.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 8:34am On Apr 24, 2011
Nadanbata:

^ Lol our power genrating Sharia state? hahaha wink

Nupe man is more closely connected to Yoruba than Hausa man grin

Or have you forgotten Shango? grin
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nobody: 8:46am On Apr 24, 2011
Let me get this str8. some time back Ghaddafi suggested Nigeria bedivided to keep the peace and EVERYONE cried foul. He was called a madman. Now it seems like the sanest thing to do. so what was the annoying thing? the suggestion to divide the country, or the fact that it was a non- Nigerian suggesting it?
cool
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nobody: 9:34am On Apr 24, 2011
You goat, there are Yoruba indigence of funtua katsina state i take it you'll be taking katsina too? Or is it all because of Abuja? Anyways only the Niger people have the right to decide and i believe they already have. when your people called us parasites and gadafi suggested the breakup niger governor was the first to respond, go look it up
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by AbuMaryam1(m): 10:42am On Apr 24, 2011
DivideUs:

You goat, there are Yoruba indigence of funtua katsina state i take it you'll be taking katsina too? Or is it all because of Abuja? Anyways only the Niger people have the right to decide and i believe they already have. when your people called us parasites and gadafi suggested the breakup niger governor was the first to respond, go look it up
Hmh some people are making trash, some are thinking Niger is not Arewa, if you said it meaning you dont know hausa states, kindly find out, if thers's split today Niger, Kwara Taraba will fall between the fold of north, while plateau and Benue must stay by force grin grin grin grin ;
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ezeagu(m): 2:45pm On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

I think its the other way round. When you have all the "Necessities"(a.k.a Needs) necessary, then it becomes a "Want". A "Want" commodity is something you can live without and can easily find a substitute. For example, I can agree with you that beef is a want, as it can be substituted with pork, fish or chicken or non the above. I see a "Want" more like a complementary commodity. A "need" however is the complete opposite. Basically, you have to satisfy all your "needs" before you can have a "want". Have you done scale of preference in your economics? And trust me, its very hard to substitute a basic staple like rice which is a basic need to the majority of the world's population. Rice is the second most important cereal in the world after maize. The only way the South can have access to enough rice is by becoming a net food importer. They'll have to spend a very significant percentage pf their GDP on food importation, which is a characteristic of most least developed countries. The cost of importation from the Far East will be high as opposed to importing it from right next door.

Before the north, the south east was getting it's rice from Abakaleke, Ebonyi state. If the need for rice becomes too much, the east can simply develop Abakaleke. I've said before that the south east fought a war without all these things, the only thing that killed them was salt.

Abu-Maryam:

Hmh some people are making trash, some are thinking Niger is not Arewa, if you said it meaning you dont know hausa states, kindly find out, if thers's split today Niger, Kwara Taraba will fall between the fold of north, while plateau and Benue must stay by force grin grin grin grin ;

The Idoma and maybe Igala are not Arewa, if there was a serious split, I can see Idoma going with the south east.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by excessmola: 3:11pm On Apr 24, 2011
ystranger n abu-maryam. I am really surprised at ur reasoning. While i can understand with abu-maryam who may be a northerner grasping for anything at all to make them relevant in this dispensation. How on earth do you think countries like saudi arabia n even dubai get stuff like tomotoe n the rest? By importing what they cant ordinarily produce' and you cannot beat their standard of living. Please allow them to go with their stupid tomatoe n beef. Believe it or not, the curfew was immediately reduced to enable the same trouble makers access to food cos as you know most of them live from hand to mouth and if they dont go out to strive, the next day they starve. Stupid blood sucking lunatics. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by excessmola: 3:11pm On Apr 24, 2011
ystranger n abu-maryam. I am really surprised at ur reasoning. While i can understand with abu-maryam who may be a northerner grasping for anything at all to make them relevant in this dispensation. How on earth do you think countries like saudi arabia n even dubai get stuff like tomotoe n the rest? By importing what they cant ordinarily produce' and you cannot beat their standard of living. Please allow them to go with their stupid tomatoe n beef. Believe it or not, the curfew was immediately reduced to enable the same trouble makers access to food cos as you know most of them live from hand to mouth and if they dont go out to strive, the next day they starve. Stupid blood sucking lunatics. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by arsenal1(m): 4:08pm On Apr 24, 2011
Take it or leave it, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE ONE NIGERIA. As for food tomatoes,rice and onion can be produce in EBONYI
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by samoks(m): 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2011
The truth is that we need to be ONE, but if things continue this way, in a short while NIGERIA will be history, Those saying the NORTH has MEAT,

Have you 4goten that those cattle are reared down south? So without the South, the North's Cattle would die of hunger,
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Sarahluv(f): 5:13pm On Apr 24, 2011
From "curfew in North affects prices in South" to "who go suffer pass if we divide". This thread has effectively derailed.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by mrperfect(m): 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2011
Well, let hope things will change.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nobody: 5:58pm On Apr 24, 2011
All topics will derail because thats what the so called people desire and i tell you, we as you call us the aboki's are praying for the breakup aswell, well alot of us are.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:09pm On Apr 24, 2011
excess mola:

ystranger n abu-maryam. I am really surprised at your reasoning. While i can understand with abu-maryam who may be a northerner grasping for anything at all to make them relevant in this dispensation. How on earth do you think countries like saudi arabia n even dubai get stuff like tomotoe n the rest? By importing what they cant ordinarily produce' and you cannot beat their standard of living. Please allow them to go with their silly tomatoe n beef. Believe it or not, the curfew was immediately reduced to enable the same trouble makers access to food cos as you know most of them live from hand to mouth and if they dont go out to strive, the next day they starve. silly blood sucking lunatics. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
I'm not an advocate of spilit, but when it become necessary let it be. The article is expressing how we need each other, i'm always saying it, the fight shall not be between north and south but inept leaders and poor masses of every Nigerian crony. the harsh conditoin we found ourself is not natural but a man made, so we have a collective responsiblities to deal with the situation together and salvate ourself. May God bless Nigeria,
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 9:07pm On Apr 24, 2011
DivideUs:

If faced between staying with Hausa or staying with non-Hausa, Niger State sef will vote to stay with the South. At least, if they are thinking rationally. They certainly have no reason to prefer Hausa or Fulani to Yoruba.

Abu-Maryam:

Hmh some people are making trash, some are thinking Niger is not Arewa, if you said it meaning you dont know hausa states, kindly find out, if thers's split today Niger, Kwara Taraba will fall between the fold of north, while plateau and Benue must stay by force  grin grin grin grin ;
Such a joker. Arewa is dead, long live Buharistan (minus Niger State) smiley
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by manny4life(m): 9:16pm On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

That's speaking for yourself, not for the masses.

You pretty much confused yourself; look we can have this argument all day if we want, but certainly not my thing; however a necessity DOES NOT create a want, but a "WANT" creates the need. In theoretical and applicable terms, until there is a desire, until you and I desire food, clothing, housing, there is no need yet. A want you can do and do without, but a need like you mentioned (you said yourself), u can't do without. Like many people often say, a need is a glorified want (most wanted). Just because I [b]want [/b]to eat rice doesn't mean I need rice at least to survive or for carbohydrate nutrients either; however me wanting to eat it does create a need for agricultural producers to produce rice. Ask your professor, until there is a want / desire for a product, there is no [b]need [/b]for that product regardless of its relevance. Keep this in the, the higher the relevance of a want, creates the need which brings me to scale of preference.

Trust me scale of preference in econ 102 (microeconomics), and the last time I checked while rice is a staple food because you and I made it staple, there hasn't been any reason whatsoever to make it (un) staple food at least for now; however,  substituting it won't be a hard one using required resources. You will be surprised at how much alternatives people are willing to go for in the place of rice. In addition, substitution perhaps require that there be scarcity of resource for it to work quite well so unless there's no huge scarcity of rice, then it won't be hard at all.

Why should they have to spend " a huge amount of their GDP importing rice"? The south doesn't produce rice so how does that directly affect their GDP? I assume you talking about trade balance as a result of huge importation of rice? As for that, they can quickly offset with exports which is adjusted with inflation, IR  etc. Now that affects GDP.

There is no proven cost method or approach to determine that importation is more expensive than home manufactured, however, it's a believed theory which I somewhat doubt. If the North for some odd reason decide not to sell rice and even if they do, if the cost of importing larger quantities as opposed to smaller units, that will offset the cost per unit of rice.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Dawgpound: 10:40pm On Apr 24, 2011
Man there is enough land in Igbo land, Akwaibom, Ijo land and Ogoni that can sustain us. Unfortunately my ppl have a lot clean up to do but we have access to the ocean and can fish
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by monasor28(m): 11:02pm On Apr 24, 2011
@ekt bear and others

Please , ohhh Abeg, i dey, I speak for the militant and rebellious Niger-delta , the real south-south,

Thier is a difference - in nigeria - thier is north - south -east and west,

Easterners are the proud and self-centered igbo men that push cocaine, sleep with thier mothers, sell expired drugs for money.

The Niger-delta should not be affiliated/connected even in the remote sense to your durogatory remarks about other Nigerian's.

We are comfortable buying our nama, tomato, albasa, targu,sigar e.t.c from the North.

Igbo people are just angry the presidency will continue to be like the proverbial donkey and carrot "thingy"

No young boy from igbo land will go back to farming , even mechanised farming they will say "tufiakwa" and take the millions of naira in loans from development banks to procure illegal visa's to obodo oyinbo, where the wash dead bodies and senior citizens "unthinkables" for money ,

And the idiots dare come back to Nigeria and say Ewu-hausa'

Politically,socially and security wise the eastern state's are the most "ugly" "cold" "sickly" territories in Nigeria. They think other Nigerians are fools and they
are the smartest.

It is only in the east that a governor was kidnapped twice from the state house.

It is only in the east that poisoned rice was sold to the poor people

It is only in the east that cultist and blood suckers get traditional titles for N500,000 , Educationally, it is worse , your children cant speak english and all off them that graduate with 1st class got it from dubious ways i do not want to talk about.

FOR YOUR INFO,

My grandfather is an Ichie in Njikoka LGA of Anambra state, he is on the igwe's council, my dad is an EDO chief, i am speaking from experience and not hatred.

Let us all put our strength together and work for what we all want, because -- we all want the same thing starting with { steady electricity }
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Dawgpound: 11:09pm On Apr 24, 2011
Edo is not even considered as Niger-delta. Why u foools want to cling onto us is amazing. PS I'm Ogoni. Mentioning that u are Igbo as well is funny because it still doesn't make what u are saying right.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by jason123: 11:17pm On Apr 24, 2011
Dawgpound:

[b]Edo is not even considered as Niger-delt[/b]a. Why u foools want to cling onto us is amazing. PS I'm Ogoni. Mentioning that u are Igbo as well is funny because it still doesn't make what u are saying right.
Lol. . . .and why not?? If Edo state is not considered as ND then Delta state too cannot be considered as ND and if thats the case, what exactly is the Niger-delta?? Your former Eastern Empire
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 11:19pm On Apr 24, 2011
@monasor28: Lol, damn. Tell us how you really feel  lipsrsealed
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by jason123: 11:20pm On Apr 24, 2011
monasor28:

[s]@ekt bear and others

Please ,  ohhh Abeg,  i dey,  I speak for the militant and rebellious Niger-delta ,  the real south-south,  

Thier is a difference - in nigeria - thier is north - south -east and west,

Easterners are the proud and self-centered igbo men that push cocaine, sleep with thier mothers, sell expired drugs for money.

The Niger-delta should not be affiliated/connected even in the remote sense to your durogatory remarks about other Nigerian's.

We are comfortable buying our nama, tomato, albasa, targu,sigar e.t.c from the North.

Igbo people are just angry the presidency will continue to be like the proverbial donkey and carrot "thingy"

No young boy from igbo land will go back to farming , even mechanised farming they will say "tufiakwa" and take the millions of naira in loans from development banks to procure illegal visa's to obodo oyinbo,  where the wash dead bodies and senior citizens "unthinkables" for money ,

And the idiots dare come back to Nigeria and say Ewu-hausa'

Politically,socially and security wise the eastern state's are the most "ugly" "cold" "sickly" territories in Nigeria. They think other Nigerians are fools and they
are the smartest.

It is only in the east that a governor was kidnapped twice from the state house.

It is only in the east that poisoned rice was sold to the poor people

It is only in the east that cultist and blood suckers get traditional titles for N500,000 ,   Educationally, it is worse , your children cant speak english and all off them that graduate with 1st class got it from dubious ways i do not want to talk about.

FOR YOUR INFO,

My grandfather is an Ichie in Njikoka LGA of Anambra state, he is on the igwe's council, my dad is an EDO chief,  i am speaking from experience and not hatred.

Let us all put our strength together and work for what we all want,  because -- we all want the same thing starting with { steady electricity }[/s]
What you said is not good. You should not paint all the Igbos with one stroke. Many of them are very very very good people. People you can trust in friendship. Most of the ones you see on NL do not know what they are talking about or are simply Igbo supremacist who feel that they lost a great empire during the war. Most are good, other/few are bad.But please, do not describe Igbos in such words. Thank you
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Arosa(m): 11:21pm On Apr 24, 2011
Dawgpound:

Edo is not even considered as Niger-delta. Why u foools want to cling onto us is amazing. PS I'm Ogoni. Mentioning that u are Igbo as well is funny because it still doesn't make what u are saying right.
No, Edo is in the north. Goat.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Ibime(m): 11:29pm On Apr 24, 2011
The seller needs the buyer more than the buyer needs the seller.

Should Nigeria split, goods will still flow from North to South and vice-versa.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by monasor28(m): 11:29pm On Apr 24, 2011
Saying Edo is not part of the Niger-Delta is a stupid thing to say, if you know your geography, DELTA STATE was gotten from BENDEL STATE

Ogoni land alone cannot make the Niger-Delta.

Dont believe am half-igbo, i guess its the same reason you think edo state is not part of the niger-delta you must be [saikik].  tongue

P.S , My state produce the largest amount of militants and not Ogoni land  cool

@ekt_bear - how does it TRULY feel for a MALAM aka EWU HAUSA - to be in CONTROL of the 6 largest producer of crude oil in the world with largest telecomms market in africa  FISCAL and MONETARY POLICIES, we all know what soludo Did.

Lamido voted 11 most influencial on time magazine, and it seem only the igbo complain, and funny only the igbo that still live in igbo land are like this, ekt are u still in ibo land.

Aliko Dangote another Ewu Hausa is officially the richest man in Africa, next to another yoruba guy, no ibo guy cos your money is not clean and you cant expose it to government scrutiny,

@jason123 - i apologise for my outburst but someone has to knock down the half-baked supremist from - dem high horse -  smiley specially this ekt bear abi na okoto biya
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by jason123: 11:37pm On Apr 24, 2011
monasor28:

Saying Edo is not part of the Niger-Delta is a silly thing to say, if you know your geography, DELTA STATE was gotten from BENDEL STATE

Ogoni land alone cannot make the Niger-Delta.

Dont believe am half-igbo, i guess its the same reason you think edo state is not part of the niger-delta you must be [saikik].  tongue

P.S , My state produce the largest amount of militants and not Ogoni land  cool

@ekt_bear - how does it TRULY feel for a MALAM aka EWU HAUSA - to be in CONTROL of the 6 largest producer of crude oil in the world with largest telecomms market in africa  FISCAL and MONETARY POLICIES, we all know what soludo Did.

Lamido voted 11 most influencial on time magazine, and it seem only the igbo complain, and funny only the igbo that still live in igbo land are like this, ekt are u still in ibo land.

Aliko Dangote another Ewu Hausa is officially the richest man in Africa, next to another yoruba guy, no ibo guy cos your money is not clean and you cant expose it to government scrutiny,

@jason123 - i apologise for my outburst but someone has to knock down the half-baked supremist from - dem high horse -  smiley specially this ekt bear abi na okoto biya

I perfectly understand how you feel. Imagine someone saying Edo is not Niger-deltean? Then Delta state must not be part of the ND!!! About the rest, I perfectly understand you and how you feel but just have to tone down the language especially to fellow brothers. Thanks bro!!! cool
PS: Ekt_Bear is from Ekiti. A yoruba man from the SW geopolitical zone.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Dawgpound: 11:41pm On Apr 24, 2011
So having militants makes u a Niger-deltan? Lol honestly guys I am more interested in my Ogoni identity and well-being than any BS called ND. I mean its just a blanket name used to describe some diverse civilizations. I am Ogoni 1st. Now carry ur yeye ND u Edo swine. Since when did u Yoruba ppl even matter to us?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

INEC May Not Make NIN Compulsory For Voter Registration / How Obiano's Wife Went Half Naked, Hit People With Broken Bottles Over Soludo / Students In School Now, Need More Time To Collect Their PVCs- Rudeboy Tells INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.