Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,446 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive (30310 Views)

What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by oladipuposadeeq(m): 7:19pm On May 09, 2021
MajesticKris:
Me sef, I don't Deal on house's from 800 thousand...

If you need a good place, it starts from 3m.. and it's on the island
mainland here self na wahala imagine i stay in isheri oshun don't know if you've heard of it.a very good 2 bed cost 300k there.

2 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by BNLR(m): 7:20pm On May 09, 2021
foreshore:

Your report did not touch the main reasons why renting an apartment in Lagos is expensive.
Rent is a determinant by forces of demand and supply. The dwindling the investment in the real estate sector by government and to a large extent private individuals is the major reason why this problem persist. During the civilian rule of former Lagos Governor Lateef Jakande, their was massive investment in this sector coupled with the availability of funds in the hands of private developers unlike what is prevalent currently. It's just natural that all the factors enumerated above will be eliminated if the existence of available properties exceed the demand.

Government are not interested in this country again. All there life savings is somewhere in the Middle East, most especially my Northern Brothers in politics

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Thevanguard: 7:22pm On May 09, 2021
hartson:
PH is worse.My younger brother pays 160K for a 3 bedroom flat in Enugu but I pay 170k for a selfcon apartment where I live in PH.
your own is better na,go to mercyland,self contain there is about 250k for something good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Originalsly: 7:22pm On May 09, 2021
Worldwide.... metro cities are not affordable to the common man.... this is nothing new. It's a matter of supply and demand ... look at it as auction. With COVID-19... work places were shut down... universities closed... remote work... remote school..... people moved back to their hometowns.... rent dropped. Lagos will never be cheap or affordable to the common man.

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by ecomalchemist(m): 7:23pm On May 09, 2021
Baba people move for different reasons.
Different strokes for different folks and I'm letting you know the current situation on ground. You cannot really go that far in Lagos if you don't have some kind of support (housing, accomodation, feeding and transportation)...

The system is designed to keep one stagnant for some time due to the bills. Lagos is good for business due to population growth....even if you sell popcorn in a busy street you will make your money...but your standard of living is low due to the fact that you are stressed 80% of the time coupled with anxiety issues.

As a young fresh graduate, I would not advice anyone to come here to do 9to5, e no pay unless na oil and gas, telcomms or tech brother. Most entry level sef no dey earn pass 150k...half of that goes to tfare..feeding...and family members...you are running the rat race.. If you are still doing nysc...save the living shit out of that money, go back home..start POS, scanning, printing, passport photograph..infact just have a busy place that churns out money daily...within 6 months...find another location and replicate the same business. That's how you build a viable business.

Alternatively, if you want to go the entrepreneurship route in Lagos, there are good hubs u can go to learn work (computer village, trade fair, Alaba, idumota, ladipo)...after a while you can start up...but if you don't have the means ..na east sure pass....I know one big time business man for east....he dey enter Lagos via night bus to buy goods...that same day...he don enroute go back base... So it depends on what works for you like i said..the internet has demystified entrepreneurship now...u can stay in sambisa forest and do business.

Cheers.

20 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Funkybabee(f): 7:24pm On May 09, 2021
Lols

I thought na osun Yahoo guys done turn too

Lagos is a megacity so don't expect less, what about Osogbo that their accommodation is expensive than Ibadan it's just that Lagos rent worth it with good job to go

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:26pm On May 09, 2021
Joysticks:
Where be iwaya for lasgidi?

Not far from Queens College and UNILAG second gate

3 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 09, 2021
1. D Population Is Very High.
2. D Demand 4 For Houses Is Very High Too. According To Economics, D Higher D Demand D Higher D Price.

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 09, 2021
oladipuposadeeq:
mainland here self na wahala imagine i stay in isheri oshun don't know if you've heard of it.a very good 2 bed cost 300k there.
very cheap!

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by oladipuposadeeq(m): 7:32pm On May 09, 2021
Paxxcarl:
very cheap!
oga mi 300k no cheap ooooooo but soon even 300m will be cheap for me. cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by OfficialBrendan(m): 7:34pm On May 09, 2021
Any idea what the rent is like around Berger area. I have a friend that wanna move down there due to accessibility to work and lower rent. He work at Ketu.
A room and parlor..or atleast one room selfcon

Or any suggestions on locations that r cheap and accessible to Ketu..

He stays with me at Ajah and spent almost 40k on tfare last month cry
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by ebijimi7(m): 7:36pm On May 09, 2021
oladipuposadeeq:
that one is still cheap
Come to ebute metta a room self contained cost 250k or 300k
2 bedroom here is 800k to 1m

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Gidagreen(m): 7:42pm On May 09, 2021
Please nobody should blame DSMND Elliott for this oo

3 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Whobedatte(m): 7:43pm On May 09, 2021
For those saying yahoo boys don't contribute to the high fares
They actually do !
These guys don't negotiate , some pay higher the house rent all because they like the house or environment
Some agents nowadays only do business with yahoo boys .
Almost new houses in Isheri Egbeda is bring occupied by these people .
It's alarming

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by oladipuposadeeq(m): 7:44pm On May 09, 2021
ebijimi7:
that one is still cheap
Come to ebute metta a room self contained cost 250k or 300k
2 bedroom here is 800k to 1m
haaaaaaaa kilode na bigman area be that ooooooo undecided
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Emeka71(m): 7:44pm On May 09, 2021
BrickDevo:
When you calculate your rent money over a decade you will discover you could build your own house with that money.... that's why i always recommend you live a lowkey life while you build your own house, might not be fast but it is worth it. I swear

start planning now, start with me i design and construct buildings, affordable and reliable. Contact me on WhatsApp via my signature.
See sense.

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 09, 2021
Cost of cement has risen
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 09, 2021
oladipuposadeeq:

Cost of my self-con in Langbasa Ajah

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by okine4real: 7:47pm On May 09, 2021
Not really landlords, the economy is bad. Don't forget landlords also needs money in taking care of there family. I remember two years ago, 12MM iron rod was 175k per tone, as at when last I asked, it was 340k per ton. I don't know if it has gone up again. If you have not built a house before ,you would think landlord are crazy while telling you too pay 450k for a mini flat. Let me give you guys a real life example. In my area, if you want to buy a land or lets say a mud house, you hold a minimum of 18M. If you want too build a very decent 6 units of 2 bed room flat each, you would have too hold a minimum of 40M. This 40M is, if you where to built 2 years ago, but I know the money would have increased as BuBu hold everybody too ransom. In my area the last person that build a new two bed room flat rented his for 1M each. If you do the calculation, the house has gulped 60M, from my view, money spent in building a house and acquiring the land should be recupped in maximum of Ten years. If you can't recupp it in ten years, I believe you are losing. Don't forget, house pass house ohh, am talking of a two bed where you have POP, solid iron doors, casement windows, kitchen cabinet, every tenant with his/her prepaid meter, pumping machine and all security lights connected too its own prepaid meter, an employed staff responsible in cleaning the compound and every tenants pays a minimum of 50-80k service charge. Now tell me, while will you invest 60M on a building and you expect me too rent the house for 800k or 500k? Its not possible.... Just as there are cheap schools, there are also expensive school, so also you have Army children school, if you want good education for your children, you know where too take them too. So also if you want the kind of house where by, the house is extremely cool, your landlords fixes all issues pertaining too the house and the rest, your rent needs too high. If I have one of this face me I slap you house and I collect 60k per annum for one room, if rain carry your zinc go, them know born you well too call me too come fix the roof. Na you go fix am by yourself because you are paying nothing for that room, but if you give me 450k for a mini flat and rain carry your zinc go and you call me, I go first apologize too you first and immediately you drop, I go call the carpenter when do the roof, them swear for am, then send am too go fix the roof and give me the cost. Also don't forget cement is around 3800-4k now.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 09, 2021
Whobedatte:
For those saying yahoo boys don't contribute to the high fares
They actually do !
These guys don't negotiate , some pay higher the house rent all because they like the house or environment
Some agents nowadays only do business with yahoo boys .
Almost new houses in Isheri Egbeda is bring occupied by these people .
It's alarming

In fact, yahooboys is the most valid point in OP's article
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by oladipuposadeeq(m): 7:49pm On May 09, 2021
Jarus:

Cost of my self-con in Langbasa Ajah
as in 1 room for 300k na wa oooooooo
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by menacity(m): 7:50pm On May 09, 2021
Which part of Enugu for 160k biko

Thevanguard:
your own is better na,go to mercyland,self contain there is about 250k for something good
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by menacity(m): 7:51pm On May 09, 2021
Which part of Enugu biko. But the problem of Enugu is water ��

hartson:
PH is worse.My younger brother pays 160K for a 3 bedroom flat in Enugu but I pay 170k for a selfcon apartment where I live in PH.
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Equity15(m): 7:54pm On May 09, 2021
OfficialBrendan:
Any idea what the rent is like around Berger area. I have a friend that wanna move down there due to accessibility to work and lower rent. He work at Ketu.
A room and parlor..or atleast one room selfcon

Or any suggestions on locations that r cheap and accessible to Ketu..

He stays with me at Ajah and spent almost 40k on tfare last month cry
depends on the location at berger. I believe he can get a good self contain with 350-400k total package. Houses are really expensive bro. I just got one at ogba-oke ira(mini flat) for 450k and no be beans, I suffer before I get am. Agents chop my money as I paid various agents + transport in checking houses up and down. Those agents are greedy. They'll be taking you to houses they haven't seen themselves. You'll get there and be disappointed. Mehn it's not easy oh

5 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by MAURI: 7:54pm On May 09, 2021
OP,

When touching on this issue, you might want to take the following into consideration:

- Cost of land in Lagos
- The cost of regularizing housing documents with the LASG
- All the housing related fees charged by LASG (official and unofficial)
- Area boys extortion
- Speak with house owners in Lagos who have gone through or going through the process of getting defaulting tenants to vacate their house
after non-payment of rents for years. As it stands now the courts are on strike, so it means free accommodation for defaulting tenants with cases
in courts.
- Consider all of the above, and also consider the situation where the house owner might have taken a bank loan to develop the property with double-digit interest and double-digit inflation rates.
- And the fact that housing is not regulated by the government, property owners are poorly protected by regulations.

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by seyz91(m): 7:55pm On May 09, 2021
yes you can but also bandits and boko haram boys can just ransack your community to either kidnap you all or kill

my point is, accomodation may be cheap over there but security is zero compare to lagos

so figure that out
unity004:
grin grin enjoying my 2bedroom flat in nasarawa @50,000naira

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Happyfela(m): 8:00pm On May 09, 2021
Jisos
unity004:
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by OfficialBrendan(m): 8:02pm On May 09, 2021
Thanks bro..
Omo for someone that earns 150k..I'll just allow him stay for as long as possible although it's hell-stressful for him but there's no hope for him at the moment because he's setting his rent budget at 200-250k. Although quite understandable because he's still a young bachelor and no plans yet of settling down

Equity15:
depends on the location at berger. I believe he can get a good self contain with 350-400k total package. Houses are really expensive bro. I just got one at ogba-oke ira(mini flat) for 450k and no be beans, I suffer before I get am. Agents chop my money as I paid various agents + transport in checking houses up and down. Those agents are greedy. They'll be taking you to houses they haven't seen themselves. You'll get there and be disappointed. Mehn it's not easy oh

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by hartson(m): 8:07pm On May 09, 2021
menacity:
Which part of Enugu biko. But the problem of Enugu is water ��

Yeah,that's one essential commodity they lack.The area is a developing area around Garki.That oneday bus stop axis

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Stateoforigin: 8:07pm On May 09, 2021
What differentiates these reasons from the reasons of high cost of rent in other places?

As usual, it's all in a bid to worship Lagos
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by OfficialBrendan(m): 8:07pm On May 09, 2021
unity004:

Inside life shocked
No wonder some ppl go still vote Buhari for 600times..this hard economy no reach some state.
EKO FOR SHOW cry
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ugandatales: 8:07pm On May 09, 2021
thatsleepboy1:
Come to iwaya, if you don't have up to 150k-200k you can't rent 1 room o.

Room in "face me I face you," or self contain room?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Loses 5 Children In Lagos School Building Collapse / The Newly Commissioned Olive Court In Ibadan - Photos / The Best POP Designs At Affordable Prices With Our Interior Decorations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.