Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,488 members, 7,958,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:24 PM

Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive (30952 Views)

What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ugandatales: 8:10pm On May 09, 2021
unity004:
grin grin enjoying my 2bedroom flat in nasarawa @50,000naira

Lol! Na lie. I don't believe you. grin
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ugandatales: 8:11pm On May 09, 2021
virginboy1:
Aboki no get time for the exorbitant lagos house rent wahala.
That's why many of dem turn their wheel Barrow, Okada,Shop And under bridge to their house. grin

grin grin grin
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ugandatales: 8:11pm On May 09, 2021
GboyegaD:
Demand outweighs supply.

Simple answer.
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Peaceose9(f): 8:12pm On May 09, 2021
Are you looking for an apartment/land for sale in Lagos or Benin City

Call/WhatsApp: 08121585050
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by reuben81: 8:12pm On May 09, 2021
CotenantNIG:
Why is property expensive in Lagos? Have you ever been involved in a conversation around this question?

No doubt, Lagos is the commercial hub of Nigeria and this is the reason its real estate sector has been an issue discussed in several fora, both home and abroad.

The number of housing units available in Lagos is not sufficient for the population. According to the Pison Housing Group’s 2019 report, the housing stock in Lagos is estimated to be 1.492 million units, while the United Nations put its population at 18 million people in 2019.

Below are reasons property in Lagos remains largely expensive:

Greedy Real Estate Agents: A lot of real estate agents in Lagos are notoriously greedy. A lot of people can actually afford to pay the rent of a house they’ve seen but imagine an agent asking for almost the same amount for agreement, commission, etc . Some deliberately deny people access to affordable properties for example you try to rent an apartment with a rent of ₦200,000 yearly an agent can demand up to ₦170,000 for agreement, commission, damages etc.

Inconsiderate landlords: Due to how desperate some Lagosians are, Landlords take advantage of this and deliberately increase the cost of renting their houses, landlords in Lagos know if you don’t pay for the apartment on time some other person out of desperation would pay for the apartment that might be too expensive for you.

Yahoo Boys: Have you noticed the reasons why agents increase agreement and commission is because yahoo boys don’t negotiate they just pay and move in. Yahoo Boys can pay for anything, I believe they play a major role in the high cost of rent in Lagos.

Location: Rent defer in Lagos, the cost of renting a 2 bedroom apartment is much lower than the cost of renting a mini flat in Ikoyi or Lekki but it can be worst when the cost of renting a 2 bedroom apartment in egbeda that is closer to the road or bus stop is more expensive than the ones that are inside the streets. Just add ₦20,000 to ₦30,000 inside your rent calculation

Structure of the House: The cost of renting a new house is much more expensive than an old house even if they are close to each other. The funny thing is the old house has a stronger design than the new house, for example, the plumbing work of the older house is much better than the new houses that are been built right now. One example is an estate called Goodluck Jonathan at Pipeline Isheri Igando Road, the houses look beautiful on the outside but the plumbing works , drainage etc is a mess

Too Many Prospects: A house can be viewed by more than 10 prospects in a day, this gives house owners and agents the perfect opportunity to increase the cost of rent and stand by it. They both know that one person would eventually pay, houses in Lagos go very fast. There is no first-come basis in Lagos real estate market, it is first to pay.

What is your take? Please kindly enlighten us with a comment below. Thank you,Abuja is really cheap no much issue just pay ur 5 percent agent fee u are good to go u can even negotiate,there's alot of houses wasting here in Abuja,nobody is renting

https://clytee.com/2021/04/29/why-renting-an-apartment-in-lagos-is-so-expensive/
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by foreshore(m): 8:13pm On May 09, 2021
BNLR:

Government are not interested in this country again. All there life savings is somewhere in the Middle East, most especially my Northern Brothers in politics

You are perfectly right
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ugandatales: 8:13pm On May 09, 2021
Shellsploit:
House is very cheap in matogun, okearo.
With 400k u don pay for 3years rent for 3 bedroom flat..

But prepared to expect the worst during rainny season, na inside mud u go dey swim on daily basis.

grin cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Equity15(m): 8:14pm On May 09, 2021
OfficialBrendan:
Thanks bro..
Omo for someone that earns 150k..I'll just allow him stay for as long as possible although it's hell-stressful for him but there's no hope for him at the moment because he's setting his rent budget at 200-250k. Although quite understandable because he's still a young bachelor and no plans yet of settling down

It's not easy. I also move from here to the island(although I don't pay for transportation) but It's killing me everyday honestly. Lagos is just too stressful. The stress no be here. He should try to up his budget. If he does the maths of spending 40k per month for a year, it's would amount to 500k. There's nothing more satisfying that staying close to where you work especially in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Shellsploit: 8:17pm On May 09, 2021
Ugandatales:

grin cheesy grin

Lol... True talk
Good things doesn't come cheap grin
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ugandatales: 8:17pm On May 09, 2021
ecomalchemist:
Baba people move for different reasons.
Different strokes for different folks and I'm letting you know the current situation on ground. You cannot really go that far in Lagos if you don't have some kind of support (housing, accomodation, feeding and transportation)...

The system is designed to keep one stagnant for some time due to the bills. Lagos is good for business due to population growth....even if you sell popcorn in a busy street you will make your money...but your standard of living is low due to the fact that you are stressed 80% of the time coupled with anxiety issues.

As a young fresh graduate, I would not advice anyone to come here to do 9to5, e no pay unless na oil and gas, telcomms or tech brother. Most entry level sef no dey earn pass 150k...half of that goes to tfare..feeding...and family members...you are running the rat race.. If you are still doing nysc...save the living shit out of that money, go back home..start POS, scanning, printing, passport photograph..infact just have a busy place that churns out money daily...within 6 months...find another location and replicate the same business. That's how you build a viable business.

Alternatively, if you want to go the entrepreneurship route in Lagos, there are good hubs u can go to learn work (computer village, trade fair, Alaba, idumota, ladipo)...after a while you can start up...but if you don't have the means ..na east sure pass....I know one big time business man for east....he dey enter Lagos via night bus to buy goods...that same day...he don enroute go back base... So it depends on what works for you like i said..the internet has demystified entrepreneurship now...u can stay in sambisa forest and do business.

Cheers.

Gbam!
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by KunleyY19(m): 8:25pm On May 09, 2021
odiomachi:
its all but because Lagos is over hyped, with the way the eco system is going right now 70 percent of Lagos will be submerged into the Atlantic ocean in less than 50 years coming. An intelligence report made this know 2013 but tinubu and fashola made sure they scrub it of the net because of eko Atlantic failed project.

Eko Atlantic was intially conceived to protect Lagos shoreline. The wall is about 8km long and will protect Lagos which is low lying... Those projects are not anyhow kangaroo projects they were done after a lot of Engineering investigations. Well, God as the final say on any structure due to natural occurrences but if it's by level of human effort the team tried. If palm jumeirah in Dubai can still survive despite all criticism my brother leave the rest to God.

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by ofiko123(m): 8:27pm On May 09, 2021
Renting an apartment in Lagos State is very expensive because of several factors: the first is the high influx of people or persons entering the state, the second is the hustle and bustle that is associated with a relatively cosmopolitan state like Lagos...
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Ahmeduana(m): 8:33pm On May 09, 2021
wunmi590:
shocked

God go help us...

I just dey pray make I no disappoint my 5month old daughter....

I promised her she would be in a saner country before she complete 5years old.....

So help me God
Amen brother man, am also in the same situation you are in, sometimes when I look at my children there is this fear like feeling that may be I may not be able to fulfil all my responsibilities on them, but I know say na lie, am gonna give it whatever it takes.

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by michlins(m): 8:36pm On May 09, 2021
odiomachi:
its all but because Lagos is over hyped, with the way the eco system is going right now 70 percent of Lagos will be submerged into the Atlantic ocean in less than 50 years coming. An intelligence report made this know 2013 but tinubu and fashola made sure they scrub it of the net because of eko Atlantic failed project.
New York isn't yet submerged,na Lagos
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by zanshi: 8:37pm On May 09, 2021
Was checking out prices of landed properties in Isheri oo and damn it's expensive.
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by wunmi590(m): 8:44pm On May 09, 2021
Ahmeduana:

Amen brother man, am also in the same situation you are in, sometimes when I look at my children there is this fear like feeling that may be I may not be able to fulfil all my responsibilities on them, but I know say na lie, am gonna give it whatever it takes.

Boss man, you really captured my mind no be small.

That fear of leaving my daughter in this country beyond 5years old, I'm also in cold.

If not for COVID-19 she should have been born in US, COVID-19 really spoilt alot of things, because my wife brother who is a citizen is therewith his family before he died last year November.

But the wife and the 4 children are still there, we move to the next chapter
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Tedpgrass: 8:45pm On May 09, 2021
Missed an important factor

Property disruption by previous tenants

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Tedpgrass: 8:47pm On May 09, 2021
odiomachi:

Really with the great Wall of Lagos in place.

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by duality(m): 8:58pm On May 09, 2021
MajesticKris:
Me sef, I don't Deal on house's from 800 thousand...

If you need a good place, it starts from 3m.. and it's on the island

Hope you live in such expensive house

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Itzlinda(f): 9:04pm On May 09, 2021
Akpuobi1:
1. Don't blame yahoo boys. They account for less than 0.001% of Nigeria's population.

2. Blame irresponsible government and NASS that doesn't know that cement should be among the cheapest commodity if it wants it's citizens and Nation attain housing and infrastructural sufficiency.

3. Blame irresponsible government & NASS that turn a blind to landlords rascality and devour tenants attitude.

It's a messed country

Actually yahoo boys are like 1% now.
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by ecomalchemist(m): 9:10pm On May 09, 2021
OfficialBrendan:
Any idea what the rent is like around Berger area. I have a friend that wanna move down there due to accessibility to work and lower rent. He work at Ketu.
A room and parlor..or atleast one room selfcon

Or any suggestions on locations that r cheap and accessible to Ketu..

He stays with me at Ajah and spent almost 40k on tfare last month cry

600k 2bd upwards

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by Goldbw122(m): 9:16pm On May 09, 2021
THAT IS WHY I LOVE PERSONAL HOUSE, YOU been the landlord is your house is a Gift from God..

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by citygarden(m): 9:28pm On May 09, 2021
All those places where formerly bush, but because we want to live in a over populated environment, we will not think about the future. The money some people use to rent apartment in some areas per annum can secure them plot of land in some parts of the same Lagos or Ogun ( part sharing boundaries with Lagos) . House rents will continue to increase every year because it is a scarce investment in some parts of Lagos. And before you know it, it will be the same everywhere in Lagos and some parts of Ogun State. It’s better to invest now in some areas before it late now.

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by ikorodureporta: 9:28pm On May 09, 2021
Even Ikorodu don cost
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by ikorodureporta: 9:30pm On May 09, 2021
That's why estate surveying/mgt shl b a good course
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by BrickDevo: 9:33pm On May 09, 2021
Emeka71:
See sense.
The hustle is real bro
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by CaptainFM1: 9:48pm On May 09, 2021
WIZGUY69:
The rate of lease doesn't correlate with the average salary in Lagos.

The average salary doesn't build, and also average salary doesn't look for average 1room or a room and parlour.

Rather you see someone earning #30k looking for a #350k to #500k flat instead of a #4K per month single room in Ojuwoye or Orile Agege.
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by EBUBECHISOM(m): 9:57pm On May 09, 2021
You can own your own house in lekki-Ajah Lagos. 3-bedroom duplex with BQ for 30M

Call for more information. +2347032360901
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by stillseth: 10:05pm On May 09, 2021
With the present price of Cement, Iron, sharp sand, Granite and Block, House rent will be on the high in the next 3years..

A bag of cement alone now is 4,000naira...Sand has gone up, Iron rod went up,..literally everything has gone up.
Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by rafcrown(m): 10:14pm On May 09, 2021
LETS START FROM THE ISSUE OF LAND AQUISITION
10M naira, 20 milion naira. Omo Onile palava before building is completed,

1 Like

Re: Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive by steveyen(m): 10:33pm On May 09, 2021
Konquest:

It's the power of relentless immigration into Lagos and
Ogun States.

We need another commercial city in Nigeria. People should start moving to the easterns states. Haha una wan kill Lagos ?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abuja's Amazing Construction Projects / Affordable Properties In Ogun State For Sell / Buy Lands At A New Layout In Akpuoga Nike, Enugu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.