Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,686 members, 7,820,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah (33789 Views)

President Weah Withdraws Ndubuisi Nwabudike's Nomination For Liberia's NEC Boss / Pelosi Signs And Submits Articles Of Impeachment Against President Trump. Video / Liberia Blocks Social Media Amid Anti-corruption Protests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by budaatum: 4:50pm On May 03, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

Here is the problem with us Africans. We vote for superheroes, not for actual leaders.

We vote for that Superman who will come and save us from all the evils in the world,. provide ariconditoning for all our roads, give us monthly alawee of $500000 a month, and build a five bedroom mansion for every child in the country.

But here is the thing about democracy...the people we vote for are not perfect. And it is our duty as the followers to hold them accountable, and to put pressure on them by running for office, or by getting elected, and doing a good job, and so on

But we won't do that because we want to be comfortable.

Developed countries are developed because far too many people in those countires were not comfortable. And they got up and put pressure.

Now how many Liberians are ready to get up and put pressure.? How many Liberians are ready to run for office at district and county level? aND DO better at all levels?

How many Liberians are ready to stop looking for superman.

It's the Messiah Complex in us. Instead of doing the work of overcoming sin we learn a Jesus Christ will die for us and the wages of our sins will dissapear. And this despite the fact he taught that we all must bear our own crosses and do greater things than he did.

When our suffer reach our eyes will most certainly open I reckon.

1 Like

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by saajus: 4:54pm On May 03, 2021
The same that struggled to get there. Hmm, power
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by meekah: 5:00pm On May 03, 2021
AllenSpencer:
Sigh..

No one is to be trusted. Power intoxicates

Even a Weah disappointed the electorates.

Can African leaders plead with the British and Americans to resume slave trade.

Seems its a viable option as at where Africa stands today.what most of us have failed to understand is that the problems confronting this world is more than what one individual can solve until the Prince of peace (Jesus Christ) return the world inclusive Nigeria will continue to experience turmoil

They should just issue them licenses to be kidnapping us, so all we have to pray for is to be kidnapped
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by meobizy(f): 5:01pm On May 03, 2021
There’s something I’ve learned from seeing African protests occur over a two score lifespan. The demonstrations are hardly about social rights injustices and inhumane living conditions, they are more about opposition bodies rallying unemployed fellows to cause disruptions. No matter how hard things are for Africans, we are prone to grit our teeth and survive. I know very well people with jobs stay seated at their workplace because they have something to lose.

The internet blackout is the funniest part of these protests; the average man gets frustrated because they can’t communicate meanwhile the foreign media will make use of VPNs to monitor the situation. I know our idiot leaders are taking note.

1 Like

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by zoedew: 5:03pm On May 03, 2021
Nairalandian:
Africa and to dey block Internet.
I was even shocked they didn't do so in Nigeria during ENDSARS.

Maybe Buhari doesn't know how to block Internet.
it was not for want of trying. the balance of terror was not in fg favour. threat assessment not good so lai back tracked. he toyed with the idea
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by fyneguy: 5:08pm On May 03, 2021
AllenSpencer:
Sigh..

Seems its a viable option as at where Africa stands today.

They should just issue them licenses to be kidnapping us, so all we have to pray for is to be kidnapped

When Africans begin to look beyond "The Messiah" as a solution, there will be progress.

This idea of hunting for a messiah every election year as the panacea is a waste of time, lives, and resources.

While one cannot totally excuse leadership failure at all levels, the solution is for people to identify key issues that border on their well-being, suggest and demand implementation of solutions/ ideas by their Governments. Stop going to sleep after elections, thinking politicians will fix things. They won't; they can't.

Besides, the people should also be patriotic. Take actions that will strengthen the polity and economy. Invest in the real sector to create employment and business opportunities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by budaatum: 5:08pm On May 03, 2021
zedman1:
Honestly, I personally don't believe the problem with this entire continent has to do with leadership. It's something bigger. Both the leaders and citizens are bad. Please don't mention any African country which you think is doing well with a 'good leader' , until you show me just one, I repeat, just one that is nearly as developed as say, America. I think there's something not good in the black man's head or skin - something somewhere. Else even the few African countries that are a bit developed are either occupied by light skinned Africans, e.g Northern Africa, or have a large presence or influence of white skinned people, e.g South Africa.

You are correct. Our problem is not the leadership but the followership (to coin a word). We sit on our asses and expect the leader to perform magic instead of realising we are responsible for doing the work.

Its like when God is written to have said "Let there be Light". We have not yet figured out the immense work that needed to be done before it could be written that "there was light". We think it was a miracle performed by God who we claim created us in its image so we too can just say "let there be good governance in our nation", and good governance in our nation will appear out of thin air.

I promise that the day will come when we realise that "let us" is plural, and plural 'we' must be fruitful, as in be productive and rule over our resources (ourselves included), in order to be blessed with the good governance we so much desire instead of waiting for miracles.

1 Like

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by budaatum: 5:13pm On May 03, 2021
BigBashiru:

Nin registration that's free ppl are charging N5k for it in Lagos and an average of N1500 outside Lagos. These are ppl representing the government. Covid 19 tests is free but the designated clinics will first frustrate you then ask you to pay N50k for the test. Nepa men extort as much as they can.

Yet everyone blames president.

What's wrong with Nigeria??
They are not representing government, they are representing themselves! You know very well the money they collect does not get to government coffers.

Which makes me change your final question to What's wrong with we Nigerians??

And for an answer, see here.

1 Like

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Jahwinaboy(m): 5:14pm On May 03, 2021
BigBashiru:

Just 4 out of about 58 African countries.... too poor... north Africa is magreb ppl they are not black Africans so count them out....
Yeah but I believe our generation will bring about the desired change in African leaders evil mentality. It begins with us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by lymelyte(m): 5:16pm On May 03, 2021
ihatebuhari:
check my bio knucklehead
grin so na only u get Dat yansh cheesy
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by naikeboy(m): 5:18pm On May 03, 2021
wahala for who no fear African political elites... if him na generational traitor wetim we go call Buhari na
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by timbabng(m): 5:18pm On May 03, 2021
Africans looking for change vote for footballers, Nepa Bill holders and even musicians. Then the Lamentations begin. Funny people.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by budaatum: 5:22pm On May 03, 2021
codemaniacs:

if Osinbajo takes over, he immediately will become the most powerful man in Nigeria and will definitely not serve t:inubu's interest because he will be more powerful than tinubu... same way b:oohari doesn't send t:inubu anymore..

Why does the term "puppet on a string" spring to my mind, I wonder. Was GEJ the most powerful man in Nigeria? Is Buhari self the most powerful man in Nigeria? Or do I just not understand what you mean by "powerful man"?

Perhaps its because I'm a judge by fruit person. I don't think the powerful man will do what is described below as we are discovering from Weah's powerlessness, or power to block internet over protests if that is what you mean.

1. adjective. A powerful person or organization is able to control or influence people and events. You're a powerful man–people will listen to you.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Decent09(m): 5:22pm On May 03, 2021
Nairalandian:
Africa and to dey block Internet.

Maybe Buhari doesn't know how to block Internet.

Buhari is more of Democrat than the African leaders combine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Decent09(m): 5:26pm On May 03, 2021
[quote author=Nairalandian post=101344349]Africa and to dey block Internet.

Maybe Buhari doesn't know how to block Internet.[/quo

You can compare Weah with Buhari, the later is a Democrat.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by codemaniacs: 5:28pm On May 03, 2021
budaatum:

Why does the term "puppet on a string" spring to my mind, I wonder. Was GEJ the most powerful man in Nigeria? Is Buhari self the most powerful man in Nigeria? Or do I just not understand what you mean by "powerful man"?

Perhaps its because I'm a judge by fruit person. I don't think the powerful man will do what is described below as we are discovering from Weah's powerlessness, or power to block internet over protests if that is what you mean.

1. adjective. A powerful person or organization is able to control or influence people and events. You're a powerful man–people will listen to you.

another paid keyboard warrior grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by linearity: 5:30pm On May 03, 2021
I truly had high hope for Weah, since he had traveled out, lived abroad, and know what society needs....Also not as old as the crop of other African leaders.....what a disappointment.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by budaatum: 5:30pm On May 03, 2021
codemaniacs:

another paid keyboard warrior grin grin grin grin grin

Be honest. It only pains you because you are paid less than me.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by budaatum: 5:32pm On May 03, 2021
Jahwinaboy:
Yeah but I believe our generation will bring about the desired change in African leaders evil mentality. It begins with us.

You will be most abundantly blessed.

1 Like

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by charixel: 5:36pm On May 03, 2021
lalasticlala:

https://www.africanews.com/2019/06/07/liberia-blocks-internet-amidst-anti-weah-protests/

No African man including myself should come claim saint on NL because wetin you dey find never enter your hand but the moment you feel am not touch your true nature reflects.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by JEFFERSON016(m): 5:54pm On May 03, 2021
AllenSpencer:
Sigh..

That's All
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by kingthreat(m): 5:57pm On May 03, 2021
austinvsb:

A fool that doesn't realize that the problem bedevilling Africa today is by the design of the europeans.

This is what lack of history in school results in

Edit: obviously, some of the kids replying to this have zero knowledge of history and present day geopolitics. FFS grab a fucking book and learn!

You mean Western Democracy does not apply to the African society?
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by kingthreat(m): 6:00pm On May 03, 2021
meobizy:
There’s something I’ve learned from seeing African protests occur over a two score lifespan. The demonstrations are hardly about social rights injustices and inhumane living conditions, they are more about opposition bodies rallying unemployed fellows to cause disruptions. No matter how hard things are for Africans, we are prone to grit our teeth and survive. I know very well people with jobs stay seated at their workplace because they have something to lose.

The internet blackout is the funniest part of these protests; the average man gets frustrated because they can’t communicate meanwhile the foreign media will make use of VPNs to monitor the situation. I know our idiot leaders are taking note.

You are so right. Its opposition forces rallying youths like it was in Endsars
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Gaggii: 6:04pm On May 03, 2021
MasterRahl:
It therefore means that the nation is doomed

Over doomed they worry am
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Gaggii: 6:06pm On May 03, 2021
codemaniacs:

if Osinbajo takes over, he immediately will become the most powerful man in Nigeria and will definitely not serve t:inubu's interest because he will be more powerful than tinubu... same way b:oohari doesn't send t:inubu anymore..

That's his cup of tea
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Shikena(m): 6:07pm On May 03, 2021
budaatum:

They are not representing government, they are representing themselves! You know very well the money they collect does not get to government coffers.

Which makes me change your final question to What's wrong with we Nigerians??

And for an answer, see here.
We all know we Nigerians are the problem, we just love deceiving each other and the loudest among us are the worst when voted in or appointed as part of government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Shikena(m): 6:08pm On May 03, 2021
charixel:

No African man including myself should come claim saint on NL because wetin you dey find never enter your hand but the moment you feel am not touch your true nature reflects.

Truth!

1 Like

Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Shikena(m): 6:09pm On May 03, 2021
meobizy:

Spot on!
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Shikena(m): 6:10pm On May 03, 2021
fyneguy:

When Africans begin to look beyond "The Messiah" as a solution, there will be progress.

This idea of hunting for a messiah every election year as the panacea is a waste of time, lives, and resources.

While one cannot totally excuse leadership failure at all levels, the solution is for people to identify key issues that border on their well-being, suggest and demand implementation of solutions/ ideas by their Governments. Stop going to sleep after elections, thinking politicians will fix things. They won't; they can't.

Besides, the people should also be patriotic. Take actions that will strengthen the polity and economy. Invest in the real sector to create employment and business opportunities.
Fact!
Loving NL guys dropping knowledge today.
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by Tochj(m): 6:15pm On May 03, 2021
Simplyleo:
Abeg, I no fit laff.

Ipob pigs right now
Wetin concern IPOB with this thread
Abi IPOB issue de give you life??
Re: Liberia Blocks Internet Over Protests Against President Weah by FullBlastLight: 6:34pm On May 03, 2021
AllenSpencer:
Sigh..

Instead of d mentioned slave trade, I'd rather suggest Re-Colonisation of Africa!

"In my opinion, most of these African countries ought to be Re-Colonised for another 100 years, because they know nothing about leadership and self-governance."
---DONALD J. TRUMP {US, President-Elect, 2017}

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Timeline: Taliban’s Rapid Advance Across Afghanistan / Ireen Mambilima Is Dead! Zambia's Chief Justice Dies On Official Duty In Cairo / Key Features Of Israel’s Multilayered Air Defence System Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.