Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Who Is A Lagosian ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is A Lagosian ? (6777 Views)

WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. / APC Governorship Ticket In Lagos Akinwunmi Ambode Not A Lagosian,jamb(Photo) / Who Is A Lagosian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Lagosian ? by sunch(m): 1:52pm On Apr 25, 2011
The political arena of Lagos and its environs has mostly been taken up by mostly yorubas that find themselves in Lagos, of which they are from other yoruba speaking states. But non-yorubas that was born, bred and grew up in LAG are seen as non-indigenes. Is Lagos actually a no mans land? If not, how wld you describe or what makes up a Lagosian?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by zstranger: 1:54pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^^^

Simple: Lagos is for Yorubas.

Any Yoruba man is welcome. Kapish.

If you are not Yoruba, you can NEVER be a Lagosian

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by sunch(m): 1:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
zstranger:

^^^^

Must it be so ?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by seanet02: 2:01pm On Apr 25, 2011
sunch:

Must it be so ?
Yes it must be so!!
Let everybody bears him Papa Name!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Rhino5dm: 2:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^^ I think is about time we perform fumigation and wipe out all the Tutsi cockroaches.

If you like change your name. A snake is still a snake and it must DIE. Nyanzi
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 2:31pm On Apr 25, 2011
zstranger:

^^^^

Rude but well said

At topic

It is no secrets that other yorubas from other states can come to Lagos and act and behave like indigenes. It is no hard feelings, yorubas are intermixing so every yorubas from ekiti to kogi/edo can come together and speak 1 dialect of yoruba. That is what lagos is to us, more like a melting point for all yorubas.

Of course other ethnic group can be politically relevant, I have no problem about that. The only problem I think the mass (other yorubas) have is if he can't speak yoruba and act like one. To act like yorubas is not to eat "amala and ewedu" No it is far from it. To act yoruba is an ideology, a way of thinking. Of course not all yorubas think the same way but majority of masses think along the same direction which is development or what we call "being a progressive". Now the question in your mind might be " We are all progressives no matter the ethnic group, we all wants development etc" but the reality is that everyone wants development but through which root (way). For some people like the northerners, it is Islamic education and military programs to employ their people, the east and is through "get rich or die trying" mentality and individualism the SS is through crude oil where there lives begins and ends there . Any of this groups can not be honest with themselves and ask "what do the people want ? " all they want is presidency and who rule next. This why it is very unlikely for a non-yoruba to become political relevant in Lagos a yoruba state.

There are some igbos that are becoming political relevant in lagos as of today through appointments and others but that is about it. I have heard that igbos are 65% of lagos population, then if they are they can become the governor next week and secure there position in the state.

As igbos coined it "lagos is a no mans land" if so then they should rule lagos through their population. As for the yorubas from other states, you can not identify them from the Awori so what gives undecided it is a total waste of time to try to separate the non-indigenes from the indigenes because they speak yoruba and act the same way.

All in all, Lagos is for all ethnic groups at home and abroad.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 2:32pm On Apr 25, 2011
sunch:

Must it be so ?

Certainly not
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by seanet03: 2:35pm On Apr 25, 2011
step1:

Certainly not
Are you drunk?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by sunch(m): 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
@step1, this is sure the most incisive statement i've ever come across up in here.
I wld say even the said yorubas that are claiming 'awa ni a l' eko'(we own lagos), does not even knw nuffin about lagos itself. All they are after is getting crowded in what is slipping them off wit time. If as an individual u dnt knw where ur people were coming frm and where they are heading, u're more or less a visionless leader. And whìch is prevalent in Lagos
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by seanet03: 3:12pm On Apr 25, 2011
sunch:

@step1, this is sure the most incisive statement i've ever come across up in here.
I wld say even the said yorubas that are claiming 'awa ni a l' eko'(we own lagos), does not even knw nuffin about lagos itself. All they are after is getting crowded in what is slipping them off wit time. If as an individual u dnt knw where your people were coming frm and where they are heading, u're more or less a visionles[/b]s leader. And whìch is prevalent in Lagos
[b]When you can not even spell Visionless Correctly?
Olodo

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by baslone: 3:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
What tribe are the traditional rulers and chiefs from?

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by sunch(m): 3:50pm On Apr 25, 2011
@baslone,
Going by hìstory, the Oba of Lagos has his root from benin, edo state. That's the reason why before any coronation of any Oba in Lagos, he must firstly go down to benin city to pay homage to the Oba of Benin. Meaning without the agreement of the Oba of Benin their can never be an Oba in Lagos. Benin, Edo state is seen as the their first home. While the other chiefs, baales, obas in suburb of lagos are not lagosians

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by EkoIle1: 4:08pm On Apr 25, 2011
For the ignorants,

Dominant language in Lagos state = Yoruba

Dominant culture, fashion, literature, food = Yoruba

Dominant form of entertainment = Yoruba

Dominant in banking and Industry = Yoruba

Dominant in politics and public administration = Yoruba

Language of choice and deliberation at the state legislature = Yoruba

Dominant names of streets and roads = Yoruba

Traditional Rulers/Obas = Strictly Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 4:19pm On Apr 25, 2011
sunch:

I wld say even the said yorubas that are claiming 'awa ni a l' eko'(we own lagos), does not even knw nuffin about lagos itself. All they are after is getting crowded in what is slipping them off wit time. If as an individual u dnt knw where your people were coming frm and where they are heading, u're more or less a visionless leader. And whìch is prevalent in Lagos

Any yoruba living in lagos does not need to know where he originally came from. My father is a lagos . He is a brazilian Awori originally but with some ijaw blood and my mother is an offa/egba woman from Kwara. If my mother claims she is a lagosian, that is within her rights to do so. I have cousins who are Ebga people from Abeokuta and when they came to lagos, they called their friends and said "omo eko ni mi" (I am a lagosian). Other ethnic groups cannot tell the difference whether he is Awori or not. That is the beauty of being a yoruba in Nigeria. This is not tribalism, it is more like a yorkshire man going to London and claim he was an indigene of London but me as a black man would not know the difference. Of course the true yorubas can identify the difference if he is Awori or not but as things stand now, no one cares.

If an igbo person has lived in lagos all his live and understands yoruba and the way of life then he is entitle to whatever lagos has to offer. The only problem he might be facing is his name and the way he acts in public, not that i am a tribalist here but being a lagos politican and wearing a red hat and other eastern stuff is a bit strange and annoying. If a man is named CHUKWU EMEKA but every other thing is yoruba about him even to way to communicates to the people, then by all mean he is free to rule so long as he does well. You have to remember no one like other groups ruling them and his tenure would not be really easy for him because of his background unless he does a lot better than his predecessors.

Many igbos, SS and hausas as of today claim OMO EKO  because they act and behave like lagosian which is very cool, but in times of crisis the yorubas can identify them from the indigenes very easily because of the way they speak and other stuffs like asking them about there background which every true son and daughter of yourba should know. Most of us living in lagos love other ethnic groups in lagos because it brings a bit of diversity of language and culture. There are some parents (mostly igbos and ijaws) that would not let there children learn yoruba because they view it as colonisation or they just hate the language because it is not english. Well it is sad because such children better relocate to other parts of the country. The reason for this is that such children can not buy easily without being swindled or bullied in the public life of lagos.

Lagos is a rough city where individuals have to be smart and be on there toes unlike port harcount or abuja. Of couse it would be easier if they learn yoruba, pidgin english and learn the way of life in a city like lagos.

Talking about politics, aworis would prefer any other yoruba to rule them than any other person from another group. For example Tinubu and his wife are not lagosian but yet they are loved. The chairman of my local government is from Ekiti and he is ruling another from kwara etc; but of course other ethnic groups cannot know the difference if he is awori or not.

So in summary, Lagos is a city that defines yorubas as an ethnic group. It is a city that make an ekiti man feel yoruba, it is a city that makes an ondo or kogi man feel yoruba, It is a city that make igbos see the yoruba way of life but this has be diluted a bit due to the diversity  wink . All in all it is a city that makes everyone feel Nigerian from hausa, igbo, ijaw to yoruba. A city for all.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 4:21pm On Apr 25, 2011
sunch:

@baslone,
Going by hìstory, the Oba of Lagos has his root from benin, edo state. That's the reason why before any coronation of any Oba in Lagos, he must firstly go down to benin city to pay homage to the Oba of Benin. Meaning without the agreement of the Oba of Benin their can never be an Oba in Lagos. Benin, Edo state is seen as the their first home. While the other chiefs, baales, obas in suburb of lagos are not lagosians

Yes most certainly but the oba of lagos is a pure yoruba man. Oyinkan was my family friend and he can trace his root to benin but now he is yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Fhemmmy: 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2011
A Lagosian should be anyone that resides in Lagos and not about where you were born . . . .that is what developed nations does, but Nigeria is about where you were born, and not even that but where your parents were born, or worse still, where you father was born.

Imagine someone that has never been to Kaduna and yet has to be refereed to as someone from Kaduna all cos the father was born in Kaduna, such person cant go to Kaduna to contest for office and where he resides wont let him, cos his father is not from there.

These are some the things that has to be stopped.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 25, 2011
@baslone,

quite an erroneous reply.

this issue has been done to death on other threads- use the search function.

the link between lagos and benin is primarily based on the portuguese and the slave trade.

sea port, geddit?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 4:30pm On Apr 25, 2011
sunch:

I wld say even the said yorubas that are claiming 'awa ni a l' eko'(we own lagos), does not even knw nuffin about lagos itself. All they are after is getting crowded in what is slipping them off wit time. If as an individual u dnt knw where your people were coming frm and where they are heading, u're more or less a visionless leader. And whìch is prevalent in Lagos

the bolded question

YES
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2011
@ topic

a lagosian doesnt necessarily have to be yoruba.

however, every indigenous lagosian is yoruba.

if you dont understand my post, waka pass plz.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 4:40pm On Apr 25, 2011
Fhemmmy:

A Lagosian should be anyone that resides in Lagos and not about where you were born . . . .that is what developed nations does, but Nigeria is about where you were born, and not even that but where your parents were born, or worse still, where you father was born.

Imagine someone that has never been to Kaduna and yet has to be refereed to as someone from Kaduna all cos the father was born in Kaduna, such person cant go to Kaduna to contest for office and where he resides wont let him, cos his father is not from there.

These are some the things that has to be stopped.

Yes you are right but that only works in an ideal society where MEND, OPC, MASSOB and Awera do not exist. From the inception those this groups, Nigeria has been divided into nations within a Nation.

Now if a kaduna son was born in Lagos and lived all his life in lagos, learns the language which is yoruba, knows the way of life, dress like a YORUBA then he can contest and rule as he wishes. You cannot expect some random person to just come and rule a people that do not like him.

A Lagosian is anyone that is born in lagos; but we are talking about this {"are you just born in lagos thus you are lagosian or are do you feel and act like a proper lagosian"} there is a difference there you see. You can spend 100 years in lagos and yet not feel like a lagosian.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by mbatuku1: 4:42pm On Apr 25, 2011
Stvpid thread.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by 2mch(m): 4:43pm On Apr 25, 2011
step1:

Any yoruba living in lagos does not need to know where he originally came from. My father is a lagos . He is a brazilian Awori originally but with some ijaw blood and my mother is an offa/egba woman from Kwara. If my mother claims she is a lagosian, that is within her rights to do so. I have cousins who are Ebga people from Abeokuta and when they came to lagos, they called their friends and said "omo eko ni mi" (I am a lagosian). Other ethnic groups cannot tell the difference whether he is Awori or not. That is the beauty of being a yoruba in Nigeria. This is not tribalism, it is more like a yorkshire man going to London and claim he was an indigene of London but me as a black man would not know the difference. Of course the true yorubas can identify the difference if he is Awori or not but as things stand now, no one cares.

If an igbo person has lived in lagos all his live and understands yoruba and the way of life then he is entitle to whatever lagos has to offer. The only problem he might be facing is his name and the way he acts in public, not that i am a tribalist here but being a lagos politican and wearing a red hat and other eastern stuff is a bit strange and annoying. If a man is named CHUKWU EMEKA but every other thing is yoruba about him even to way to communicates to the people, then by all mean he is free to rule so long as he does well. You have to remember no one like other groups ruling them and his tenure would not be really easy for him because of his background unless he does a lot better than his predecessors.

Many igbos, SS and hausas as of today claim OMO EKO  because they act and behave like lagosian which is very cool, but in times of crisis the yorubas can identify them from the indigenes very easily because of the way they speak and other stuffs like asking them about there background which every true son and daughter of yourba should know. Most of us living in lagos love other ethnic groups in lagos because it brings a bit of diversity of language and culture. There are some parents (mostly igbos and ijaws) that would not let there children learn yoruba because they view it as colonisation or they just hate the language because it is not english. Well it is sad because such children better relocate to other parts of the country. The reason for this is that such children can not buy easily without being swindled or bullied in the public life of lagos.

Lagos is a rough city where individuals have to be smart and be on there toes unlike port harcount or abuja. Of couse it would be easier if they learn yoruba, pidgin english and learn the way of life in a city like lagos.

Talking about politics, aworis would prefer any other yoruba to rule them than any other person from another group. For example Tinubu and his wife are not lagosian but yet they are loved. The chairman of my local government is from Ekiti and he is ruling another from kwara etc; but of course other ethnic groups cannot know the difference if he is awori or not.

So in summary, Lagos is a city that defines yorubas as an ethnic group. It is a city that make an ekiti man feel yoruba, it is a city that makes an ondo or kogi man feel yoruba, It is a city that make igbos see the yoruba way of life but this has be diluted a bit due to the diversity  wink . All in all it is a city that makes everyone feel Nigerian from hausa, igbo, ijaw to yoruba. A city for all.

Alj Harem?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 4:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
2mch:

Alj Harem?

What happened to him ?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
For example Tinubu and his wife are not lagosian but yet they are loved

tinubu is lagosian.

his grandfather was osun or ogun.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 4:46pm On Apr 25, 2011
tpiah!:

tinubu is lagosian.

his grandfather was osun or ogun.

Tinubu's parents are from Osun and I think his wife is from Kogi or so, not really sure
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by aljharem(m): 4:53pm On Apr 25, 2011
2mch:

Alj Harem?

what did i do again

or am i step1 now grin grin grin grin grin

i beg let me enjoy this your comments and don't mention my name
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
step1:

Tinubu's parents are from Osun and I think his wife is from Kogi or so, not really sure

yes, could be his parents from osun also.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by step1: 5:04pm On Apr 25, 2011
tpiah!:

yes, could be his parents from osun also.

Maybe
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by jmaine: 5:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
I served in Tinubu village sorry we yorubas like the term town used instead  grin ( a mark of pride) . . He is from Iragbiji in Boripe L.G. A . . you need to see the mansion where that area father go build inside village sorry town for him brother ( funny enough, no family member stay there except those paid to maintain the compound)  . .one word . . massive   shocked shocked  but that apartment was really helpful in supplying us with bore hole water cos how people go still dey drink well water open to all forms of assault from the environment  embarassed. ,

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by aljharem3: 7:55pm On May 17, 2011
bump
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by Dede1(m): 4:49am On May 18, 2011
step1:

Any yoruba living in lagos does not need to know where he originally came from. My father is a lagos . He is a brazilian Awori originally but with some ijaw blood and my mother is an offa/egba woman from Kwara. If my mother claims she is a lagosian, that is within her rights to do so. I have cousins who are Ebga people from Abeokuta and when they came to lagos, they called their friends and said "omo eko ni mi" (I am a lagosian).

What is this notation in bold? What about Cameroonian or Jamaican Awori?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian ? by EkoIle1: 4:58am On May 18, 2011
Dede1:

What is this notation in bold? What about Cameroonian or Jamaican Awori?

I know them, they exist solely inside your mushy and ignorant brains, lmao

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Covered Number Plates Banned In Lagos. No More Chief Of Your Village On Plates. / Babatunde Ogunnaike. Elected Fellow Of National Academy Of Engineering / Kaduna Slams Curfew On Zangon-kataf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.