Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,470 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Housewife or Working Woman? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Housewife or Working Woman? (12630 Views)

The PROUD working woman AND MOTHER!!!!! Tribute To EDO-ITALIANS. AMADIN! / Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Family Dilemma: Housewife Or Working-wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by cutebaby: 3:50pm On Jan 16, 2006
point here but hw many dey do?
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by 1ofall(f): 11:02am On Jan 17, 2006
They say you cannot serve two masters equally well and this is one instance where it might be true.
I believe the most important job I will ever do is that of being a mother. I am very sure in Xyears I will not be lying on my deathbed and wishing I had worked a few more hours or expanded my business kingdom a bit more.
It really depends on what is important to you personally. For me, I have found from experience (tried being a stay at home mum) that I also need to have my career but I have have also got my priorities in order of whats important to me.
And when I finish a full day at work and get home, its like the real job has just begun!
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by alheri(f): 3:13pm On Jan 17, 2006
I would rather be a career house wife than be a career working woman. As a wife and mother, your loyalties should lie with your family and not your company. If I have to compromise than my job will have to go. I nearly gave up my job in december last year but for my husbands intervention. I felt it was taking too much of my time cause I had to work even on sundays sometimes. I felt I wasnt giving my husband and kids enough time. I was becoming a stranger to my baby and I was loosing the sparks with my husband. I was too tired to do my chores well and I wasnt taking good care of myself. I wanted to resign. I felt It wasnt worth losing my family over. My husband advised me to stay a while and talk to my boss about all my concerns, which I did. He has hired someone else to share the work load with me. Honestly, I wouldnt have blinked twice about leaving my job for my family. My husband and kids are my everything. I cant loose them over no career. Its just not worth it as far as am concerned.
IMO
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by snazzydawn(f): 8:04am On Jan 18, 2006
@ alheri...My point exactly.what's the use holding on to a job when your family is suffering your absence?Whats the use making too much money with no one to enjoy it with?I have said it,I will say it again.if my job is making me not to be a good wife and a good mother,to hell with that job...God gave me a brain,I can still do something even as a "housewife"...
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Jezgirl(f): 2:20pm On Jan 18, 2006
As 4 mi, im gonna go for wroking women coz we r in a modernized world.Well ppl's got different opinion but 2 mi,i can neva be a full housewife,God 4bid bad thing. rolleyes
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by snazzydawn(f): 9:45am On Jan 19, 2006
ok jez,what if you were supposed to choose between your family and your job?
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Renike(f): 7:00pm On Jan 19, 2006
come to fink of it..a housewife is also a working woman.
@snazzydawn, why wld u choose if u can have both?
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by snazzydawn(f): 10:30pm On Jan 20, 2006
abiiii!!!!!na true sef
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by naijadiva: 2:54pm On Jan 21, 2006
"Why can't you depend on your man financially? That, i think is pride.

Remember, men want to be in charge! If you wont allow your man to spend on you, he will spend on an outsider - which would you rather prefer?"

How is it wrong if you are too proud to be dependent on someone financially?  If you look at Nigerian movies, women that make more than their husbands are often depicted as cold and controlling women who don't respect their husbands, but no one ever considers that there are plenty of men who act the same way when they are the ones bringing in the money.  Is it ok for men to behave that way while the wives feel needy and inadequate?  The men reason it's their money so they call the shots, and why would I want to be asking my husband for money as if he's my father when I'm equally capable of making my own money to spend?  Why would I go to school for all these years, finish and get my MD, and then sit at home and let my parents' money and my dreams go to waste?  Not to mention all the money I have to pay back when I graduate medical school.  For the man's ego?  And if my man would spend his money on an outsider because I want to work and don't pretend to be dependent and needy, then he's not worth marrying to me.  I also want to be around my children, and I will but not for the man's preference or ego.  And does that mean I'm going to be at home all day every day until my kids grow up?  No, I'm still going to work, and my husband will know that in the very beginning.

For anyone that wants to be a housewife, that's fine, but that should be a personal choice, not one imposed upon women.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by okodus(m): 7:05pm On Jan 22, 2006
I THINK IT IS GOOD FOR WOMAN TO WORK,VERY VERY GOOD
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Jezgirl(f): 8:22pm On Jan 22, 2006
@ snazzy,if im to choose btw my family n my job,well my family is gonna come first tho but im not in d position 2 choose now,so in dat case,i will be a working woman.Tho i will rely on my hussy but dat doesn't stop me 4rm being a working woman.Hell,no.Wot if my hussy is not around,so u expect me to be waiting for him before me n my kids can eat.God 4bid.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by mikun(f): 4:02pm On Jan 24, 2006
For me I'd rather be a housewife if we can live very comfortably with one income. At the moment my kids are 2 and 4, I leave the home at 6:30am and not back until 5:30pm. In this time another person woke my kids up, fed them, took them to nursery....basically all I should be doing . Yes I have the evenings and weekend but at this stage in their lives I should be contributing more into their lives, speaking to them once or twice on the phone during the day is not really it. Yes I have the degree, several qualifications, years of experience as a computer "guru", but I will give it all up in a heartbeat if I can.
Apart from the kids there is the time for my hubby as well. He will want to cuddle up , I will want to as well but I am thinking the time that I should be reading/painting/singing or whatever with the kids so my heart is divided.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by IB7(f): 11:41pm On Jan 24, 2006
A little bit of both.

I.B.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by jclord(f): 1:09am On Feb 06, 2006
Staying home with you children is best. When they are old enough to go to school working from a home office or part-time is best.
When you don't have children it is easy to say you will hire a nanny but when you become a nurturing mom you want to protect your children from strangers who may not always have their best interest at heart. In the US alot of baby sitters have been caught on camera abusing the children in their care.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by olat(m): 12:50am On Feb 17, 2006
hmmmmmmmmm, I think is simple. The reality is our family is the most important factor.
My wife works from home - home office (jclord said that) 'cos we r still giving birth. I had struggled to get her
a laptop. She can start designing Websites and making money. We form our company, she manage it
while she play around with our 15month old lovely daughter. She needs her most @ the moment.
By the time, they reach school-age, our business becomes 'full blown', We'll run an SME. Ofcourse, she's very enterprising,
she can live to her full potentials.
As for me, I also share 'quality time' with them in my tight shedules @ work.

We all need to guide the falimy unit system jealously to avoid the problem they have in the West, hope I made a little sense, my humble opinion
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Rhodalyn(f): 12:52am On Feb 17, 2006
i wld like 2 be working whn im married
i dnt wnt any man bluffing on me n al dat shit!!!!!
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by nicetohave(m): 1:01am On Feb 17, 2006
thats the way to go cool but a man can still bluff you even when you work
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:06am On Feb 17, 2006
no man can bluff on me
wht has he got dat i havent? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Grizzly(m): 3:43am On Feb 18, 2006
None. but if u check, it would be difficult 4 a housewife 2 b unfaithful. on d other hand if '9-5' Decides 2 play outside runs, u are finished,
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by allonym: 4:20am On Feb 18, 2006
You mean, the husband locks her in the house so nobody can get in or out without his key?

Unless they have children she has to take care of, the housewife is the one with more opportunity to cheat.

The man must work, if he slacks off too much (due to other activities) he'd get fired and then have to explain what happened.

The wife can clean up, once the guy is off to work, she can have her man-toys come over or goto their place, enjoy herself, and return home to have dinner ready.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by eveseh(f): 3:21pm On Apr 28, 2006
inafrica they are,
but i think in europ the men are women works,
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by Memunah(f): 1:36pm On Oct 20, 2006
I can never be an House wife.Housewife?NO .then y did i spend many years schooling from primary,secondary to a Tertiary Institutions?I cant dump my Certificate under the bed just cos am married.I dont like the idea of an house wife.I will love to be a working lady,though working and taking care of my family
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by diyobdw(f): 4:47pm On Oct 20, 2006
working house woman grin
I would like to do some kind of flexi work but home all day no way! grin
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by chimaze(m): 5:55am On Nov 15, 2006
All you ladies should remember that it is not by force to get married o. But it you choose to get married, you've got to respect and submit to your husband.

My wife has to submit to me O. I am African, and it is what I said will happen in my house. if the woman no agree with me, she can pack her load and go back to her fathers house. No be by force!!

I've sisters, and my sisters will do what their husbands ask them to do.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by diyobdw(f): 11:43am On Nov 15, 2006
What you defination of african man?Real men keep thier homes. Enslaving your wife would only make her wild or boring either way you lose.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by chimaze(m): 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2006
diyobdw:

What you definition of African man?Real men keep their homes. Enslaving your wife would only make her wild or boring either way you lose.

@ diyobdw, I agree with your definition. African Men Keep their homes and provide for their wives and children. This include putting a roof over their head, clothing them, feeding them, paying for their children school fees, buy and fuel her car etc.

Any man that can't do any of the above is not fit to be a Man (He is a loser). I will never allow my wife to contribute to things like house rent, feeding, children school fees,. She can buy the children clothes if she wants to, but that it is not her job.

I don't see the reason why both of us should be working full-time, when I am capable of taking care of the whole family.

My wife will work in the family business (if she wants to work). This will give her the flexibility to be a good mother & good house-wife. I no agree with this working woman S**T.

My uncles wife is a chemical engineer but she works in the family business and she is happy.

So all the girls that wants to work 9-5, marriage I repeat is not by force.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by chelsea4su(f): 7:13pm On Dec 04, 2006
house wifee lailai
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2007
so wait all my the assignments,reading and hustling to make good degree,would be to just come and sit at home all in the name of being a house wife.i cant even think of myself being a house wife.if my husband dosen't want me working for anyone then i would have my own business.and i also don't like the idea of working under someone.i want to be the managing director and chairman of my company than working and answering to anyone.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by diyobdw(f): 11:05am On Jan 04, 2007
@ chimaze wink

i was recently ask by a typical Igbo guy working in a bank (to show he is not an illiterate) that why am i still studying , dont i want to get marry or would i frame my certificates in the kitchen?
it was funny but i felt like punching some civilization sense into his head.
As long as a woman's work gives her enough time to keep and grow are family working is okay!

I would die of boredom to be a full house wife undecided
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by frankiriri(m): 1:38am On Jan 30, 2007
She can pursue her dreams to any extent as long as it does not affect the family. I think I prefer the stance of the ladies who will give up their jobs for thier families. Even as a man I would do the same. In the past thrfour years I have resigned my job twice and I am ready to do so again. Family means a lot to me.
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by OmoEko1(f): 5:12am On Jan 30, 2007
edited
Re: Housewife or Working Woman? by doubletree(f): 2:35pm On Feb 04, 2007
I propose the status-full time woman. smiley house wife for 4 days and 9-5 for 3 days

get a good degree and have a flexible career or run your own business.

( 3 days pay can be more than some full timers salary,hence the need for a good degree.)

sense of fulfillment as lots of time for the family.still exhausting though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Divorce Proceedings 2 Months Into A Marriage. / Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? / Should Married Women Drink Alcohol?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.