Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days (31862 Views)

DJ Cuppy: My Dad Calls Me “Ms Abena” / DJ Cuppy: "My Managers Are Better Than Yours" / 'DJ Cuppy My Flawa' - Asa Asika, Davido's Manager Gushes About Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Phraser: 3:51pm On May 06, 2021
I had every right to join End SARS protests – DJ Cuppy tells UK show, Presenting

By CM

Prominent disc jockey and entertainer, DJ Cuppy, has addressed the negativity that tailed her activism during the anti-police brutality End SARS protests that rocked the nation last year's October.

DJ Cuppy aired her opinion in an interview with UK-based show, Presenting, which was published on Thursday.

In the interview, she also recounts her experience of racism in the United Kingdom and touches on the influence of Fela on her music.

Speaking on her role during End SARS, the 28-year-old turntablist said, "I have a responsibility as a Nigerian to do what I can to raise awareness, and also do what I can to make sure that people know what is going on."

DJ Cuppy said that she's been accused of not grasping the reality which birthed the End SARS movement due to her privilege. She, however, denounced the claim, asserting that it's a reality which "affects everybody."

"A lot of people have spoken to me about it, and they have actually accused me of not understanding it because of my influence and my positioning. I've never been stopped by SARS before but my team has, my friends have, and it’s really important that people understand that just because I haven’t had it happen directly to me, doesn’t mean that I can’t understand. So for me, I think it’s a problem that affects everybody."

DJ Cuppy was one of many public figures who'd lent support to the End SARS protest last October. On October 18, wearing a disguise of a hoodie, a baseball cap, and sun shades, the disc jockey made an unobserved appearance at the Lekki Toll Gate, which was the hub of the Lagos protests.

However, she would first register her support for the protests in a tweet published on October 9: "Going against the advice of those around me, but it doesn’t feel right. Silence can say so much. My fellow Nigerians, forgive me for taking so long to comment...

"I would [be] lying if I said I’m DIRECTLY affected by SARS but a lot of my Cupcakes are and that’s enough for me to care. I stand behind the movement to #EndPoliceBrutality AND #EndSARS."

Although praised by many at the time for her support, she'd equally received lots of flak from social media users who believed she was too privileged and unable to truly empathise with the End SARS campaign.

In the interview with Presenting, Cuppy also spoke about her experiences of racial prejudice since moving to the UK at age 13.

"For me, it was very difficult because growing up in Nigeria, I didn’t really experience racism," she said. "My teachers were black, the doctors were black, lawyers were black. So, moving to the UK, and especially moving to the US, is really where I started to notice the disparity and where I really started to experience racism."

“The minute I moved here, from thirteen in boarding school, I always realised. It was pointed out that I looked different, I sounded different, my background was different, my culture was different. And no amount of money, no amount of positioning can ever change that."

She added that in spite of what many think, she still has to "kick down doors" in the entertainment industry.

In the rest of the interview, DJ Cuppy mused on Fela's influence on her musical sensibility, hailed Burna Boy as a "phenomenal artist", and revealed that she is close to and working on a project with the latter's sister, Nissi.

The newly published interview was originally recorded last November, some days after the viral End SARS protests.

"My first and only heartbreak was at 18, Now I Break The Hearts These Days" - DJ Cuppy also shared her heartbreak experience at 100 Level at the University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjH3WybSA0

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Ohizfly(m): 3:54pm On May 06, 2021
God's The Greatest

Light my kpoli

25 Likes

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Bornsinner7: 3:54pm On May 06, 2021
No Nigeria is more Nigerian than any Nigerian

But I think cuppy is trying so hard to equate herself with Nigerians.. she's trying to make Nigerians understand that she's not more Nigerian than any Nigerian..

She has a strong spirit... She's dealing with a lot online just for the fact that she's a rich man's child..

In a nutshell she should forget about music and put those boobs into good use.. a lot of niggaz out here are breast starved

120 Likes 6 Shares

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by MegaDesign: 3:55pm On May 06, 2021
Yes you have the right but be careful.

3 Likes

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Maxymilliano(m): 4:00pm On May 06, 2021
Just like other patriots that rose in defense of the masses across the country against police brutality, you sure have every right to join the noble and worthy cause.
Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by 3pleDAssistant: 4:01pm On May 06, 2021
Alright. But no vex oo... why the delay in sharing the interview to the world?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by ChiefSosa(m): 8:16pm On May 06, 2021
She's correct; she has every right to join. She didn't join to trend, she joined 'cause: She's tired of being oppressed, tired of being assaulted by SARS, tired of them accusing her of fraud, tired of losing loved ones to SARS, tired of them checking her phone at any point possible, tired of going out everyday with the mindset that she can be framed up by any police she encounters, she's tired of extortion, tired of being illegally detained, etc

I'm being sarcastic o, before you come for my agbalumo head and CAPSLOCK me to oblivion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by chinecherem97974: 8:34pm On May 06, 2021
Just like other patriots that rose in defense of the masses across the country against police brutality, you sure have every right to join the noble and worthy cause.
Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by BbqTormentor: 6:12am On May 07, 2021
Vulture how far? No "darling daddy" chants today? The job don Taya you ?

To support buhari no easy my guy

Accept my sympathy

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by ChiefSosa(m): 9:08am On May 07, 2021
The guy didn't know her father's worth. Honest guys like me know her father's worth and I'll always value her father's worth. I'm not a gold digger o, i'm only interested in her father's worth. I no fit use this kind girl play as economy hard like this. Once again, Mr Eazi, leave Temi alone if you know you're not going to do anything with her, it's been over 3 years. Commot dere make another guy enter set.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:08am On May 07, 2021
Our Darling Cuppy, if you break dis half-man below heart e go commit suicide under 2 minutes, we swear down......
wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by mellyynw: 9:08am On May 07, 2021
hmm ok

here we go!
Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Made619(m): 9:08am On May 07, 2021
Watin we want take this news do now for God's sake.....how e take affect price of garri for market... mtchwww....old paper

2 Likes

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by KingAzari: 9:09am On May 07, 2021
Ana akogheri. This one na football - passed from one player to another.

1 Like

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by vengertime: 9:09am On May 07, 2021
See This one wey Victor Anichebe fck finish dump am for street?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by The5DME(m): 9:09am On May 07, 2021
Is that the reason you sing trash songs?

3 Likes

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by tellwisdom: 9:10am On May 07, 2021
Who’s she??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by slawormiir: 9:10am On May 07, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Frales6(f): 9:10am On May 07, 2021
it's only this her hair color that I don't like

1 Like

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by Kingbenn(m): 9:11am On May 07, 2021
Pesin wey dem don shatter her heart dey form odeshi.

Nonsense talk

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:11am On May 07, 2021
tellwisdom:
Who’s she??

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by emmanuel596(m): 9:11am On May 07, 2021
Cuppy should see a psychiatrist before her bipolar takes a different dimension

2 Likes

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by edimalo(m): 9:12am On May 07, 2021
everything cuppy comes to FP but when important things relate to nairalanders no body cares because they are not popular.

IKEDC bringing a bill of N73k to a new 2 bedroom apartment without an a.c in it.
The place is residential and doesn't have any commercial activities in it.
see my story

https://www.nairaland.com/6516871/ikedc-fradulent-overbilling-scam-activities#101054639

2 Likes

Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by ABANGWABOI(m): 9:12am On May 07, 2021
grin grin
Re: DJ Cuppy: My First & Only Heartbreak Was At 18. I Break The Hearts These Days by cassidy1996(m): 9:12am On May 07, 2021
heart breaker! na your bobby and goal post go suffer am

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"You Were Advertising Drug Trafficking", NDLEA To Davido. / Royhills Edozie Buried Amidst Tears (Photos) / Kemen Parties With Solidstar, Soma, Uriel & Some Babes At Club Rumours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.