Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? (22694 Views)

Why Do Women Divorcees Still Bear Their Ex Husband's Name After Divorce / Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Seniorwriter(m): 12:20am On May 08, 2021
How will you be legally divorced and still crave to share name when you can't share love? That's impossible!

@Seniorwriter

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by PrimadonnaO(f): 12:33am On May 08, 2021
I've never thought about this.

Getting divorced must be really complicated.

Once y'all used to be ONE, inseparable, so many mutual connections, then one day... separate entities. cry

6 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by BruncleZuma: 12:39am On May 08, 2021
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by GunnarSch7: 12:58am On May 08, 2021
Yes
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Burgerlomo: 12:59am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
Thanks for your reply. What about the title "Mrs"? You go back to "Miss"?

Sorry you're no more qualified to be called "Mrs" since you're not married, you have being demoted to your previous lower level which is "Miss" such is life. grin

9 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Kenkuss(m): 1:18am On May 08, 2021
The act of marriage, and its advantages
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Afolashade00(f): 1:22am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
I'm curious to know. Is it legal to keep your husband's name after a divorce?

Please lawyers in the house help a sister. I really want to know.

Check out my link https://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=101991319
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Vaiki(m): 1:37am On May 08, 2021
Romanoff:
You don't need to change your name after a divorce.
says who?
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Ndipe(m): 1:49am On May 08, 2021
Some divorced women retain their ex-husband's last name especially if they had kids for him. Others do, if he is famous.

budaatum:

If your divorced husband's name is on your official documents you can of course use it. It could be on your certificates for instance, or drivers license etc, if you got them while married.

I would suggest you legally revert to your maiden name however, and have your ex-husband name bearing documents changed or affidavit supported to show they belong to new named you.

Since the purpose of a divorce is to excise him from you, what's the point of still being chained to his name?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by One4me: 2:52am On May 08, 2021
zolajpower:

After you cut ties or disengage from your employment do you still possess the ID of your former employer? Answer the question correctly (10 marks )
grin
The future is female

I have read a lot of misleading answers on this subject, like saying you can use "Mrs or Miss" , after divorce.
First, the 'Mrs' is a Title reserved for married Women, no one should even argue that so it is nonsense, for any Lawyer or Law Firm to say you can still be Mrs Xyz, after you are divorced.
The Title 'Miss' indicates a Single, (Unmarried or Divorced) Woman.

I am curious to find out if a Man can legally (Court/Registry marriage) marry two Women? Ofcourse, he cant, that will make him face Bigamy charges.
Now, if a Woman is divorced from her Husband, Mr. Xyz, and the Husband now remarries, can his New Wife bear 'Mrs Xyz'?
Ofcourse, she can, since she is legally married to Mr. Xyz

So, can TWO Women (One, legally and currently married to Mr. Xyz and the other one, his "former" Spouse (now divorced)) bear Mrs. Xyz at the same time?
Ofcourse No! You cant have TWO Mrs. Xyz at the same time, only one person can LEGALLY be ....and be recognised in Law, as Mrs. Xyz.

I have cited this example to show that When a Woman is Divorced, she can no Longer retain the "Mrs" of her Ex-Husband, except if he permits it and does not remarry under the marriage Act/Registry/Court.
That Title (Mrs) has legal ramifications beyond just ordinary Title or name calling.

It also makes no-sense to divorce a man and still clamour to retain his name or to keep bearing his "Mrs".

When the Ex-Husband wants to remarry, there is a Newspaper Publication of the intending marriage at the Registry (Just as there is a Newspaper Publication of the Divorce) to let the whole world know that one Marriage has ended and another has taken place and that there is a new "Mrs." Xyz in town. undecided

But a divorced woman is free to revert to any name she wants, (apart from her Ex-husband's Surname), all she needs to do is a Sworn Affidavit/Deed Pole to that effect.
Also, she cannot change the surname of the Children, without the express, written permission of the Ex-Husband.

Most Women want to keep their Ex-Husband's name to cause or annoy the new wife or to continue to enjoy the "unforeseen benefits" that may accrue with using such name, especially if the name is associated with a big, rich and popular family.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by One4me: 3:03am On May 08, 2021
mariahAngel:

You can simply be addressed as madam.
Once a Mrs, cannot be a Miss.

If children are involved, I think she can keep the name if she wishes to.

Keeping the name of your Ex-husband after Divorce, IS NOT the Woman's Choice and it has nothing to do with whether Children are involved or not.
It depends on whether the Ex-Husband wants her to keep it, especially if he does not intend to remarry "legally" .

Imagine TWO Women claiming to be "Mrs. Angel" at an Official function? shocked shocked grin

In some cases, if the man does not remarry and they have Children, he might just OVERLOOK his Ex-wife still retaining is Surname (and the woman might think it makes it easier for her to re-unite with him some years down the line angry undecided grin )

l have seen a case where the current wife of the man, Mrs. Xyz files a "Cease and Desist Order" against the Ex-Wife, to stop parading herself as 'Mrs. Xyz', that herself is the only person known in law, as 'Mrs. Xyz', being th elegal wife to Mr. Xyz.
And the Ex-Wife has to drop the name or be charged for Impersonation

4 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by bcomputer101: 3:17am On May 08, 2021
With your character here on nairaland, is not possible that a sensible man won't divorce you.
Olodo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by letitrainnow(m): 3:53am On May 08, 2021
Here to learn
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Benrosaria(m): 3:56am On May 08, 2021
A few ladies even get married cause of the name
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by IYANGBALI: 4:06am On May 08, 2021
Except the na me and you today
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by One4me: 4:13am On May 08, 2021
IYANGBALI:
Except the na me and you today

What type is that one again?
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by temitope27(m): 4:20am On May 08, 2021
Me self I dey wonder, cos av seen many of them still bear their husband name instead of changing it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Toosure70: 4:21am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
So I can't use it when filling forms such as job application forms, loan forms, property receipt, etc?
The word 'I' used here shows you're the one a sister. I don't surport divorce o
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by timisquare82(m): 4:30am On May 08, 2021
You have no legal right to keep that name unless the man allows you, because you are automatically back to your father's house as a miss to occupy your former room either physically or spiritually

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Taroshi(m): 4:34am On May 08, 2021
I think there's such a title as "Ms" (pronounced as /miz/. It is used by females who do no want to reveal their marital status.

Miss (if single)
Mrs (if married)
Ms (if you want it unknown to others)

3 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Nobody: 4:47am On May 08, 2021
Truly, Ladies are the most confused creatures on earth after bats. Especially the low budget feminists wannabees.
Nonsense angry

3 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Kojiek: 4:48am On May 08, 2021
Achoghikwam case o. I hate the term divorce.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Ezedon(m): 4:50am On May 08, 2021
You must use it, if you have any documents that contains the name
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Olakunleyakub(m): 4:56am On May 08, 2021
The question should be can women bears their husbands name after marriage?

Well as a Muslim,

Married women doesn't need to change their fathers names to their husbands surname even after marriage.

That is a correct view in Islam.

May Allah continue to shower his blessings upon our trust worthy prophet Mohammed and his companions till the day of accountability.

5 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by ecomalchemist(m): 5:00am On May 08, 2021
The choice is yours, don't sleep on it.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Elidrisy20: 5:07am On May 08, 2021
your papa no get name?

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:11am On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:
Florence Ita Giwa never commot her own. Marriage wey no reach 1 year sef.

Na she fit them. grin
Hers wasn't a case of divorce was it? And she never legally remarried so why should she change it.
My mom never remarried after my pops died and she was still in her 30s when that happened so she also never changed her name. I think that's a different case

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Bishop(m): 5:24am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
Thanks for your reply. What about the title "Mrs"? You go back to "Miss"?

Ms.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Opybid: 5:25am On May 08, 2021
It's voluntary, but not compulsory
saphiere:
Good evening. Muslims don't answer husbands name?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Day-Old Baby Found Dead At Refuse Dump In Port Harcourt (Disturbing Photos) / How Can I Continue To Love My Wife / How Do You Resolve Conflicts/disagreements With Your Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.